Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

Them some strong, long lasting drugs!

Official injury list (8) released 26/3

Long Term (4) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (Was TBC)
• R11-13 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 8-10 weeks (Was TBC)
• R9-11 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 6-8 weeks (Was TBC)
• R9-11 : Matt Flynn (Knee) - 6-8 weeks (Was 7-9 weeks)

Medium Term (1) :
• R6-7 : Archer Reid (Knee) - 3-4 weeks (Was 5-7 weeks)

Short Term (3) :
• R5-6 : Liam Ryan (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks (Was 2-4 weeks)
• R4-5 : Dom Sheed (Foot) - 1-2 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R4 : Jai Culley (Knee) - 1 week (Was 2-3 weeks)

That report is very misleading. He has sesamoiditis as a result of a bipartite (two part) sesamoid bone in his foot. It is NOT a new/recent fracture nor is it “more serious than just inflammation” as that headline states. Nothing changes.

Said he's hoping to play up to 10 games

Honestly if we see him at all this year it's a good result

Said he's hoping to play up to 10 games

Honestly if we see him at all this year it's a good result
Not unrealistic but it also wouldn’t surprise if they just put the cue in the rack and got him ready for next year from a rehab and fitness perspective. In saying that he’ll either respond well to the surgery or he won’t, playing 4 months after surgery won’t put him at any higher risk of re-injury than playing him 12 months after surgery like an ACL. All things considered I hope we take a cautious approach.

That report is very misleading. He has sesamoiditis as a result of a bipartite (two part) sesamoid bone in his foot. It is NOT a new/recent fracture nor is it “more serious than just inflammation” as that headline states. Nothing changes.
Yeah Simmo described it as a split last week and the standard recovery time for a sesamoid surgery is 3 months so nothing new here

Them some strong, long lasting drugs!

Official injury list (8) released 26/3

Long Term (4) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (Was TBC)
• R11-13 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 8-10 weeks (Was TBC)
• R9-11 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 6-8 weeks (Was TBC)
• R9-11 : Matt Flynn (Knee) - 6-8 weeks (Was 7-9 weeks)

Medium Term (1) :
• R6-7 : Archer Reid (Knee) - 3-4 weeks (Was 5-7 weeks)

Short Term (3) :
• R5-6 : Liam Ryan (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks (Was 2-4 weeks)
• R4-5 : Dom Sheed (Foot) - 1-2 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R4 : Jai Culley (Knee) - 1 week (Was 2-3 weeks)
Yeo would 100% have a deviated sectum.

Hewett needs a few games before the end of the year, just for development before going into preseason. He has very good skills but was horrendous last year. The change of pace and decision making because of it really caught him out. I would say him getting a few wafl games and then some seniors is one of the most important points for club development this year.

Hewett needs a few games before the end of the year, just for development before going into preseason. He has very good skills but was horrendous last year. The change of pace and decision making because of it really caught him out. I would say him getting a few wafl games and then some seniors is one of the most important points for club development this year.
Also just to play with the persistent pain is going to likely be strange for a bit so getting some games in even just so he feels confident going into pre-season next year would be a boon.
Absolutely zero expectations on him this year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think Hewett was horrendous last year? His first year? I thought the games he played he was outstanding and a real shining light in a crappy year

You think Hewett was horrendous last year? His first year? I thought the games he played he was outstanding and a real shining light in a crappy year
I think the point was moreso that despite having shown to possess very good skills and decision making his disposal let him down on many occasions and wasn’t up to this displayed standard as he found himself under pressure due to the increased pace of the game.

Not that he was just terrible wholistically for the year.

He did butcher his disposal a lot more than expected early on but also showed some moments of brilliance.

I think his skills were horrendous in comparison to what he is capable of.

Any draft footage I have seen of him he has sublime skills.

In saying that, his attack on the ball, his efforts, his power and explosion from contests were excellent.

I think the point was moreso that despite having shown to possess very good skills and decision making his disposal let him down on many occasions and wasn’t up to this displayed standard as he found himself under pressure due to the increased pace of the game.

Not that he was just terrible wholistically for the year.

He did butcher his disposal a lot more than expected early on but also showed some moments of brilliance.

Could also be that he had double fractures in his feet from his ongoing condition. Would've been less of an issue in U18s.

We'll get a better idea when he returns.

I think his skills were horrendous in comparison to what he is capable of.

Any draft footage I have seen of him he has sublime skills.

In saying that, his attack on the ball, his efforts, his power and explosion from contests were excellent.

I’m keen to see how he goes after his surgery.

You can’t underestimate the impact of his foot discomfort on both his work rate and his kicking. If you have a sore foot it can get in your head during your ball drop when you know there might be pain from the kick, and it can affect the outcome.

Sometimes Hewett looked to lack work rate in his draft year, particularly when playing WAFL seniors, and his performances were very inconsistent. I wonder how much pain he was experiencing without telling anyone, and how much it was affecting his game.

Also, keen to point out that Hewett’s kicking was a bit of an issue even in his draft year. If you watch his much lauded game against Vix metro, more than half his kicks inside 50 were direct turnovers, not all his fault, tbh.

How much is the discomfort in his feet affecting his kicking? Not sure but we will find out!

Let’s postpone passing judgment until we see what his disposal is when he is healthy.

I’m keen to see how he goes after his surgery.

You can’t underestimate the impact of his foot discomfort on both his work rate and his kicking. If you have a sore foot it can get in your head during your ball drop when you know there might be pain from the kick, and it can affect the outcome.

Sometimes Hewett looked to lack work rate in his draft year, particularly when playing WAFL seniors, and his performances were very inconsistent. I wonder how much pain he was experiencing without telling anyone, and how much it was affecting his game.

Also, keen to point out that Hewett’s kicking was a bit of an issue even in his draft year. If you watch his much lauded game against Vix metro, more than half his kicks inside 50 were direct turnovers, not all his fault, tbh.

How much is the discomfort in his feet affecting his kicking? Not sure but we will find out!

Let’s postpone passing judgment until we see what his disposal is when he is healthy.

Yep agreed to all that.

Would be worth playing him as a sub especially after a long layoff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back