Skippos's Final 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Skippos,

Now the draft order is finalised, who do you reckon will be the Crows pick @ 14?

Also... a bit off-topic but...

Do you know much about Cheney or Lowden and if so, how do you rate them?

Thanks mate.

G'day Skippos,

Now the draft order is finalised, who do you reckon will be the Crows pick @ 14?

Also... a bit off-topic but...

Do you know much about Cheney or Lowden and if so, how do you rate them?

Thanks mate.

It could be a number of things. At 10 we were virtually assured of a Lever/Durdin/Pickett/Laverde type - all of whom fit real needs for building the list. At 14 there's a chance of of them are available but I doubt it. We could be after Goddard (but I'd be somewhat surprised if he's still on the board) or we could be after a Marchbank type who's every chance of being available. If we want to go for pace with that pick we could be hoping Ahern is available (which I doubt) or even be intending to bolt on a Garlett/Menadue/Cockatoo type.

Cheney's someone who I'm not sure what role he's best suited to in the modern game. He's a little too short to effectively take the bigger forwards but perhaps not talented enough at taking the smalls either while offensively he's not someone who's going to help. A bit like James Gwilt in some ways. I think he can conceivably perform a role on the third or fourth tall types but I wouldn't want him playing any taller or smaller than that. A good stop gap/lower end of the 22 player for mine. Lowden I like as a second ruck. Has a point of difference with his left handed ruckwork and has a rare ground level game as well as some ability in the forward half. Still very much not the complete product yet and I wouldn't be incredibly comfortable in him playing as a lead ruck if Jacobs went down but he was probably the best ruck to grab this period so I'm happy we've got him.

If Ellis, De Goey, Cockatoo and Duggan are off the board, would you take Vickers-Willis with 19?

Think we'll go for a taller and solidly built wingman/flanker with 19 and look for a small mid-forward at 28. Want a marking medium who can take a hanger and score like Thomas, Robinson, Sloane, Parker, etc.

Suspect Ellis or Duggan could be available.

I don't see us taking Lamb who has had his attitude questioned across BF. Only have to consider that Mitch Robinson will join Bootsma and Garlett on the scrap heap.

V-W sounds like a player who might be gone by 21, but will have some of his supporters whinging before he hits the track and plays.

Good frame.

Last edited:

Richmond's last 5 1st round selections:
2013 - Lennon - Med fwd/mid
2012 - Vlastuin - med def/mid
2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid
2009 - Martin - mid/med fwd

the last KP that they took with their 1st pick was Vickery in 2008......not a very good one either!

They need a top end KP talent coming through.

No offence to your mock draft, but whoever is Richmond's draft guru should be sacked if they don't take the best KP available on draft day with their 1st pick (pick 12).

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

the last KP that they took with their 1st pick was Vickery in 2008......not a very good one either!

No offence to your mock draft, but whoever is Richmond's draft guru should be sacked if they don't take the best KP available on draft day with their 1st pick (pick 12).
Really? They do need another tall forward but they can find that with 32 or whatever it is in a Keitel/Lamb/Hammelman which would be just as effective as taking them at 12

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

No offence to your mock draft, but whoever is Richmond's draft guru should be sacked if they don't take the best KP available on draft day with their 1st pick (pick 12).[/QUOT

Richmond will not and do not need to take a KPP with our first pick.

If Ellis, De Goey, Cockatoo and Duggan are off the board, would you take Vickers-Willis with 19?

Think we'll go for a taller and solidly built wingman/flanker with 19 and look for a small mid-forward at 28. Want a marking medium who can take a hanger and score like Thomas, Robinson, Sloane, Parker, etc.

Suspect Ellis or Duggan could be available.

I don't see us taking Lamb who has had his attitude questioned across BF. Only have to consider that Mitch Robinson will join Bootsma and Garlett on the scrap heap.

V-W sounds like a player who might be gone by 21, but will have some of his supporters whinging before he hits the track and plays.

Good frame.

I personally wouldn't but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen - nor would I slam the selection. Essendon are hard to really pick what they're going to go after - there's a case for most positions across the ground. I think it could well be inside mid if there's not a top end KPF on the board though. With V-W I'm not sure he's going to be in the same ilk as those you've listed. I certainly don't think he'd perform a functionally similar role at the top level.

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

I must respectfully demur. I much prefer to look at list composition before drafting history when assessing needs. According to your criteria - Richmond need a KP - your criteria is flawed though. Forward they've got Riewoldt, Griffiths, Vickery, McBean and Elton with Hampson also capable and back they've got Rance, Chaplin, Astbury and Grimes with Batchelor capable of playing taller at a stretch. Riewoldt is by no means old - nor are any of the other forwards. Griffiths is clearly seen as a long term player judging by the deal he received too. Vickery as a third forward/depth is very handy and McBean coming through is a great option. In finding Griffiths and McBean outside the first round they've managed to really have some quality second options in attack without having to go early.

If there's anything they need it's a key defender as Astbury's injury prone and Chaplin's neither young nor great anymore. I expect they'll look to add in that department but I don't think they'll do it in the first round. I expect them to target outside speed and skill in the first round this year.

Really? They do need another tall forward but they can find that with 32 or whatever it is in a Keitel/Lamb/Hammelman which would be just as effective as taking them at 12

Do they though? They've got 4 AFL standard key forwards on the list and Elton who probably looks more bust than boom but he's still there. I think they can afford to address other needs for the next two years considering the age of that forward unit. Though I don't normally agree with addressing KPP needs outside the first round as that's where the great ones are found - I do think you're right in that they'd be likely wanting depth so the second round would be a better option.

Skippos when are you doing your next update?

Sometime this week. Hopefully by Friday.

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

No way. They've got Rance, Astbury (who I'm a big fan of, if not Chaplin, Grimes, Bachelor), Maric, Riewoldt, 4/5ths of the spine are quality players in their prime and for that remaining tall forward they've got Vikery, Griffiths, McBean who they are desperately hoping one of turns in to a regular.

If there was a gun key forward available at their pick they should grab him, then trade out others next year. But there probably wont be and so they need to keep adding to their midfield and flanker depth.

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...-in-draft-under-hardwick-20141019-118f5d.html

Richmond had identified the need for another inside midfielder to support Trent Cotchin and Anthony Miles, and thus allowing the likes of Dustin Martin, Brett Deledio, Conca and Brandon Ellis to become more damaging on the outside.

Football manager Dan Richardson said the Tigers had their eye on "three or four" talented young midfielders that are likely to be available for the Tigers' first selection.

The plan will then be to add genuine outside speed with the later picks.

Others have stated it but I think this puts your reasoning to bed categorically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid

No chance we will take a KPP with our first pick.

Cheers. Just that I've come across a couple of posters who had Daniel and Reece mixed up when it came to their combine results
I got them off Reece McKenzie's Draft Watch thread; poster seemed adamant they were his. Could be wrong though.

Did McKenzie's athletic testing surprise you at all Skippos? The agility test was the biggest shock for me; pretty decent time for somebody his size.

I was surprised but I don't hold those results in as high a regard as most do. We've seen him on the field already so we know what he's like when he's constantly thinking and having to make quick decisions - factors not considered in the combine athletic testing. It's all good and well having athleticism but knowing how to use it to your advantage is just as important and quite simply I'm not sure Reece does - hence why he doesn't look as athletic out on the field.

Lost all cred with this comment :p

Haha yeah he's not flash but as a last resort he's capable of filling space and providing a contest at the worst.

I was surprised but I don't hold those results in as high a regard as most do. We've seen him on the field already so we know what he's like when he's constantly thinking and having to make quick decisions - factors not considered in the combine athletic testing. It's all good and well having athleticism but knowing how to use it to your advantage is just as important and quite simply I'm not sure Reece does - hence why he doesn't look as athletic out on the field.
Yeah, I don't particularly hold them in high regard either, they were just much better than I expected. Certainly doesn't look that athletic on the field. I do think it'll help his draft stock though, rightly or wrongly; if a coach backs themselves to teach him how to get the most out of his athleticism he'll be really difficult to stop. Still has enough flaws in his game to make him an extremely risky proposition though, especially early in the second round. Will be interesting to see where he falls come draft day.

Yeah, I don't particularly hold them in high regard either, they were just much better than I expected. Certainly doesn't look that athletic on the field. I do think it'll help his draft stock though, rightly or wrongly; if a coach backs themselves to teach him how to get the most out of his athleticism he'll be really difficult to stop. Still has enough flaws in his game to make him an extremely risky proposition though, especially early in the second round. Will be interesting to see where he falls come draft day.

I watched him live in WA and he stood out as the best forward on the day, strong leads, great hands and just was a little rough with his kicking action.

The main issue is the fact that he has only shown the ability to play forward and I cannot 100% remember his defensive pressure ability.

I remember wondering why there was not one mock draft with his name in their best 60, looked a good option.

Still I've come to understand that those stay at home forwards are hard to judge where/if they will get drafted.

I agree with most of this. I'm certainly warming to him though - at the end of the day this indicates at the very least that he's got several more potential strings to his bow and isn't just the one trick pony. He's got the physical and contested ability so knowing that he does have the 'raw' athleticism indicates that he might just be a solid bet to make it in the right system. My next update will reflect that.

Hey mate. In terms of ability how would you compare Petracca to other highly rated midfielders from recent drafts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back