Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I struggle to see the logic of 50 players being picked before him.

No chance. Very confident in saying that. He might slide to a second round, but nah not to #52.

Really hoping the Tigers are looking at him with a suitable pick either #17 or hopefully we can trade down to get 2 picks in the mid-late 20's for Williams + Inside mid

Recapping the draft briefly compared to my Power Rankings:

Power Rankings: 48/50 got drafted (Sydney Stack and Tyron Smallwood)
Phantom Draft: 47/50 got drafted (Stack, Josh Kemp and Charlie Sprague - the latter two were #49 and #50).

Overall pretty happy, bit disappointed for some players who missed out because I know them/their families, but didn't have them in there anyway. Great feeling for those who did.

OK Pete thoughts on the Crows selections?

I very satisfied personally especially with Jones, McHenry and Hamill, only one I'm 50/50 on is Sholl can't say he ever made me sit up and check the Calder Cannons team lists when I've seen them play. McHenry the more I saw the more I liked, just loved his determination and the aggressive way he attacks the contest. Jordan Butts I wanted late/rookie last year and he only confirmed my want this season so extremely pleased we're giving the lad a shot, reckon there's a bit there to work with.

Disappointed om missing out on young Thomas Berry but! ;):fire:

I very satisfied personally especially with Jones, McHenry and Hamill, only one I'm 50/50 on is Sholl can't say he ever made me sit up and check the Calder Cannons team lists when I've seen them play. McHenry the more I saw the more I liked, just loved his determination and the aggressive way he attacks the contest. Jordan Butts I wanted late/rookie last year and he only confirmed my want this season so extremely pleased we're giving the lad a shot, reckon there's a bit there to work with.

Really like Jones/McHenry, add tackling pressure. Surprised both went to the same team given their size, but good value. Hamill is another one of my favourites, but agree with you, Sholl I'm not sold makes it. But at the pick he went it's not much risk anyway. Butts is the perfect rookie pick - give him time to develop, while Strachan is even more raw.

Clearly you targeted foot skills and speed with your picks as a whole, which is what I would have said you needed.

Really like Jones/McHenry, add tackling pressure. Surprised both went to the same team given their size, but good value. Hamill is another one of my favourites, but agree with you, Sholl I'm not sold makes it. But at the pick he went it's not much risk anyway. Butts is the perfect rookie pick - give him time to develop, while Strachan is even more raw.

Clearly you targeted foot skills and speed with your picks as a whole, which is what I would have said you needed.
A lot on our board have the idea McHenry is slow for his size, maybe putting too much emphasis on his 20m testing times because he certainly doesn't "play" slow in games....some of his run down tackles were a thing of beauty this season.

A lot on our board have the idea McHenry is slow for his size, maybe putting too much emphasis on his 20m testing times because he certainly doesn't "play" slow in games....some of his run down tackles were a thing of beauty this season.
He’s not quick in the straight line sense, but he has elite agility, so he is able to get out of stoppages using his evasion more so than burst speed. He’s just “average” if you like, rather than lightning. Most people see the size and assume he had to be super quick, but it’s not something that affects the way he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not quick in the straight line sense, but he has elite agility, so he is able to get out of stoppages using his evasion more so than burst speed. He’s just “average” if you like, rather than lightning. Most people see the size and assume he had to be super quick, but it’s not something that affects the way he plays.
:thumbsu: Yep, couldn't have put it better myself. :) Was just looking for reassurance of what I was seeing.

C'mon, he was only ever going to one team.

I'm a fan of Dillon O'Reilly. I have read a few times that he has been tried as a defender. Given only elite forwards seem to get drafted, do you think he will go into defence? I don't see why a club wouldn't want him in their system. There's enough list spaces to develop a few talls?

I'm a fan of Dillon O'Reilly. I have read a few times that he has been tried as a defender. Given only elite forwards seem to get drafted, do you think he will go into defence? I don't see why a club wouldn't want him in their system. There's enough list spaces to develop a few talls?
From what I've heard - and not being based in WA it is just that - there were some questions over his work rate off the ball. He clearly had talent, but I think he does need to improve that defensive game, which could be helped by heading down the defensive end of the ground.

Bewley, Schultz and Watson; I'm liking them as players, and I like the club's strategy over recent drafts to grab some older players late. There has been barely a mention of them in the draft threads. Do you have any thoughts on them and what we can expect?

Bewley, Schultz and Watson; I'm liking them as players, and I like the club's strategy over recent drafts to grab some older players late. There has been barely a mention of them in the draft threads. Do you have any thoughts on them and what we can expect?

Pie will give you an answer when he can but I’ll add this, I took Shultz in the bigfooty phantom draft last year and this was what I wrote

“Schultz had a great year this year and would have claims as the best small forward in the VFL. Schultz has alot of AFL traits with his ability to win one on ones at ground level and in marking contests. He always makes defenders panic with the way he buzzes around. Schultz also doesn't turn 20 until the end of this month so there is plenty of development to go.

Schultz's numbers this year where fantastic with only a handful where he didn't kick a goal he kicked over 2 goals 10 times during the year so he can regularly hit the scoreboard. The first thing you notice with Schultz is how well he goes in marking contests against bigger opponents, there where multiple times where he would take fantastic contested marks and quickly play on and create a goal. He is one of those forwards that makes you think something will happen when he is around the ball.

Schultz has good speed but he isn't super quick which could turn off a few but the way he just buzzes around and creates scoring opportunities i feel makes up for it. He may not be ready yet to make the step to AFL but i feel under an AFL system he could quickly improve and be a threat at AFL level.”

Feel that I'm well placed to answer a couple as I've seen a lot of the first two.

Bewley is a fast and hard working wing or half back. He's definitely a left footer and can bullet 55 metre drop punts on it but his right is stronger than most lefties and probably 3/4 the right footers in the league as well. I'm expecting him to play 16+ games next year.

Schultz flies under the radar a lot as a small forward, and could be a surprise packet for the Dockers. His main assets are his speed and goal sense, and despite his size is very strong overhead as well. Can see him playing but can also see him spend a lot of the year in the WAFL

Schulz, eth has probably covered it, I haven't seen him live so don't want to comment too much on him.

Bewley is a player I've seen a few times and like the look of. I got a good insight into his thinking working alongside former Williamstown assistant coach, Robbie Campbell. He said Bewley always had the tools, he just needed to put them all together and believe he could be an AFL footballer which he has done this season. Bewley's penetrating boot is as good as anyone playing currently, and will immediately step up to the level no issues.

Watson is one that has some great traits, and he has now spent a season in the League side. He tends to play taller than he is, but he is more that medium defender with smarts that can use the ball well. It's like he has passed the test of WAFL, and now it is time to step up. A good size for a player who could develop in other positions as well outside the defence.

Of those three I'm most excited to see how Bewley slots in because he could be a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back