Smedts and Ballantyne: How many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

1 for Smedts. 2 for Ballantyne.

Edit: Maybe 1 for Ballantyne, didn't have much time to react so not sure it was deliberate.

Smedts deserves more than 1 week for intent. If it got him in the head he's be out for upwards of a month.

Both dog acts, Geelong one looked like a lot more force though

1 for Smedts. 2 for Ballantyne.
After the clamp down last couple of seasons with high hits, I think 2 weeks is the absolute minimum he can expect. His record is pretty good considering he's such a campaigner, so he might be able to bring it down to 1 if it's in the higher end of 2, but I think it'll be 2 even with guilty reduction.

Smedts deserves more than 1 week for intent. If it got him in the head he's be out for upwards of a month.

Looked like he tried to strike him across the shoulders, frustrated act. Got him a little high but not sure there was any head contact.

Smedts deserves at least 3. I haven't seen Ballantyne's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None for Ballantyne.

How could he honestly have done anything else other than tuck his arm and protect his body? His initial intent was clearly on the ball, but when it became apparent to him that Taylor won the ball before him he had but a split second to react and to protect his body. He chose to do this by tucking his arm and turning sideways. Yes, he hit Taylor in the head, after initially glancing Taylor's shoulder, but these accidental collisions happen in football. Does not deserve to miss a game because of this.

Spurr never lowered his body or ducked down at any point, I can't see how smedts thought that arm was going anywhere but across Spurr's neck. 2-3 for me

Ballantyne's decision to bump was a split second thing and probably influenced by two similar incidents last season where he elected to tackle against a taller opponent and ended up with a broken jaw. But the bump did glance off Taylor's shoulder and collect him high, so I reckon he'll probably get a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back