Analysis Speculation best team in 2016: List & depth analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
Johnson A Pearce Hill
Bennell Neale D Pearce
Walters Taberner Fyfe
Ballantyne Pav Griffin

Sandi Barlow Mundy

Interchange: Sheridan, Langdon, Grey, Crozier, Weller, Blakely.

Sheridan and Langdon are elite tanks. We don't lose much by leaving Mzungu, Deboer and Suban out
Agree with most of this. Is the concensus that Mayne is out? He was our third best goal scorer this year.Can't see RTB leaving him out of the side.

Edit: and our best tackler -> forward 50 pressure

My B22 is quite similar Lach72 ...

B Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
HB Johnson A.Pearce Hill
C Bennell Fyfe D.Pearce
HF Mayne Taberner Walters
F Ballantyne Pavlich Griffin
FOL Sandilands Mundy Neale
INT Barlow C.Pearce Sheridan Suban

I like Fyfe and Sandilands resting/rotating forward, Barlow also rotating through the centre and possibly forward. Clancee back and centre. Sheridan back and wing. Suspect we might find an alternative to Suban in the B22 early in 2016 but for the moment he is probably in the mix.

I'd also like to see some of the youngsters getting more opportunities this year -> Langdon, Smith, Hughes, Grey, Weller, Blakely. This coming year we need to identify who is going to replace Pav, Sandi, Johnson, Mundy, Griffin, Dawson, D.Pearce and Spurr as they are all 28 or over and in our B22.

The thing is that Mayne isn't a "3rd tall", let alone a 2nd tall. He's 188cm. He's a small defensive forward who can't kick. Even when he is kicking straight, his kicking lacks penetration. Leading forwards who can't kick 45m are basically useless.

He doesn't even "play tall". Michael Walters took more contested marks than Mayne did in 2015.

As for who is playing for Peel who could replace him as the "3rd tall", the obvious candidate is Crozier, who is a sharpshooter in front of goal both from set shots and snaps.

As for who is playing for Peel who could replace him as the "3rd tall", the obvious candidate is Crozier, who is a sharpshooter in front of goal both from set shots and snaps.

2015 Stats
Mayne 28 goals in 22 games, 1.3 goals/game, 5.5 tackles per game, 13.6 disposals/game, 4.9 marks/game
Crozier 7 goals in 11 games, 0.6 goals/game, 2.8 tackles per game, 8.4 disposals/game, 2.1 marks/game

Don't disagree that Mayne isn't a third tall but not sure I get your logic with Crozier being his replacement? I like Croz but Mayne was pretty much ahead of him with every single stat in 2015.

My B22 is quite similar Lach72 ...

B Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
HB Johnson A.Pearce Hill
C Bennell Fyfe D.Pearce
HF Mayne Taberner Walters
F Ballantyne Pavlich Griffin
FOL Sandilands Mundy Neale
INT Barlow C.Pearce Sheridan Suban

I like Fyfe and Sandilands resting/rotating forward, Barlow also rotating through the centre and possibly forward. Clancee back and centre. Sheridan back and wing. Suspect we might find an alternative to Suban in the B22 early in 2016 but for the moment he is probably in the mix.

I'd also like to see some of the youngsters getting more opportunities this year -> Langdon, Smith, Hughes, Grey, Weller, Blakely. This coming year we need to identify who is going to replace Pav, Sandi, Johnson, Mundy, Griffin, Dawson, D.Pearce and Spurr as they are all 28 or over and in our B22.
What about Sutcliffe?

2015 Stats
Mayne 28 goals in 22 games, 1.3 goals/game, 5.5 tackles per game, 13.6 disposals/game, 4.9 marks/game
Crozier 7 goals in 11 games, 0.6 goals/game, 2.8 tackles per game, 8.4 disposals/game, 2.1 marks/game

Don't disagree that Mayne isn't a third tall but not sure I get your logic with Crozier being his replacement? I like Croz but Mayne was pretty much ahead of him with every single stat in 2015.

Crozier was the sub in a lot of those games. They also played completely different roles. Mayne played closer to goal so obviously he will get more shots on goal. Crozier played as a high half forward.

Spur Dawson A Pearce
Hill Johnson Ibottson
D Pearce Barlow Bennell
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballatyne Pavlich Fyfe

Sandilands, Neale, Mundy

Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Clarke, Weller

* Reduced rotations and no sub, makes players with a tank gold
* Midfielders to have a secondary defense/forward role (keep the best players on the field)
* Play Barlow inside and not outside
* Players who can use the ball

2015 Stats

Replace Mayne with Crozier , can see him play his role and occasion drift to mid due to ballas and Walters as small forward, then either d Pearce or bennell can move forward when he is mid.Right now our forward too predictable when Mayne not firing the position he can only play either forward or defense. Trial this in pre season if it work we got different strategy against different opponent.

Crozier was the sub in a lot of those games. They also played completely different roles. Mayne played closer to goal so obviously he will get more shots on goal. Crozier played as a high half forward.
Replace Mayne with Crozier , can see him play his role and occasion drift to mid due to ballas and Walters as small forward, then either d Pearce or bennell can move forward when he is mid.Right now our forward too predictable when Mayne not firing the position he can only play either forward or defense. Trial this in pre season if it work we got different strategy against different opponent.
If Mayne was playing closer to goal and Croz was playing half forward then he shouldn't he have had far less disposals than Crozier? The sub thing does make a difference but even if you take a game where they both played full games the stats are still in Mayne's favour. Guess we'll get a true sense next year without the sub in place. I see Crozier as more of a replacement for Ballaz or Walters. Walters will only go out if injured. And am hopeful Ballantyne will be back to form next year. Anyway we'll agree to disagree. At this moment in time I'd have Mayne in my team over Crozier.

If Mayne was playing closer to goal and Croz was playing half forward then he shouldn't he have had far less disposals than Crozier? The sub thing does make a difference

Yes, it makes a fairly big difference when one plays 4 quarters and the other only plays 1.

Yes, it makes a fairly big difference when one plays 4 quarters and the other only plays 1.
And like I said, in games where Crozier did play a full game Mayne's output was almost always still better. There is one game I found where they both played and Crozier might have had better output than Mayne - Round 17 vs Richmond (it was an important win for us). Crozier got an extra goal and laid a couple of extra tackles and Mayne had an extra disposal and a bunch of extra marks. It was arguably Crozier's best performance of the year.

I think Crozier has heaps of potential but at times I found him a bit disappointing this year, especially in Round 23 vs Port when we rested all our players. As one of the more experienced youngsters I would have expected him to step up but instead he crumbled - only 5 disposals, 2 tackles, 0 goals and not much else. Suspect that secured his fate of not getting a look in for the finals.

I think Crozier is more than capable of cracking in to our B22 but he needs to perform better than he did last year to do so imo. Mayne played every game last season except when he had an injury and he was rested in that last game - I'd be very surprised if he isn't selected round 1 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Mayne was playing closer to goal and Croz was playing half forward then he shouldn't he have had far less disposals than Crozier? The sub thing does make a difference but even if you take a game where they both played full games the stats are still in Mayne's favour. Guess we'll get a true sense next year without the sub in place. I see Crozier as more of a replacement for Ballaz or Walters. Walters will only go out if injured. And am hopeful Ballantyne will be back to form next year. Anyway we'll agree to disagree. At this moment in time I'd have Mayne in my team over Crozier.
No harm trial crozier to see what he can do during pre season. Just like tarrant it take so long for freo to move him to defence and he came better in defence than in attack for freo, no harm try player in different position in pre season rather than assuming.

Spur Dawson A Pearce
Hill Johnson Ibottson
D Pearce Barlow Bennell
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballatyne Pavlich Fyfe

Sandilands, Neale, Mundy

Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Clarke, Weller

* Reduced rotations and no sub, makes players with a tank gold
* Midfielders to have a secondary defense/forward role (keep the best players on the field)
* Play Barlow inside and not outside
* Players who can use the ball

I think your 22 is pretty close to the mark. It might just be me, but the thing that stands out is that the 22 above looks like a pretty good team. I think that Mayne, Barlow, Clarke and Ballas are all capable of a massive improvement in 2016. Add to the fact that we might pick a mature age recruit or two in the next draft then I think our prospects for season 2016 look significantly better than I thought immediately after the 2015 final against Hawthorn. If one of Crozier, Weller or Langdon can step up than our team will suddenly be very quick also.

Last edited:
We really need to give some younger guys a crack this year (Weller and Langdon). I would have thought Mayne, De boer, Pearce would be the first in the gun. If mayne stays in the team it has to be as a backman for me, forward pressure alone isnt enough to vindicate his selection, and his set shot goal kicking is average at best. I think its time to give Croz a permanent forward role. Ive felt like we have stagnated a bit, and need some injection of exuberance. Im not sure the addition of Harley alone is enough to get us to where we need to be.. We have really lacked goal kicking mids, and clean ball useres through the middle (exception of hill and Mundy).
Im really excited to see Apeness up and going again, hes really a forgotten entity.

Heard an interesting story the other day originating from Peel's coaching division. Apparently the reason that Blakely hasn't been in the frame for regular game time at Dockers is that he can't run. Lyon puts a lot of emphasis on GPS data & Blakely is quite a way off having a Docker worthy AFL tank. Apparently this is also the reason Ballard got the chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard an interesting story the other day originating from Peel's coaching division. Apparently the reason that Blakely hasn't been in the frame for regular game time at Dockers is that he can't run. Lyon puts a lot of emphasis on GPS data & Blakely is quite a way off having a Docker worthy AFL tank. Apparently this is also the reason Ballard got the chop.

They both must have gone down hill after Pre season . Both Blakely and Ballard were top performers in the runs. Ballard top 3 in the 3klm if I remember correctly.

Not surprised, Blakely looked like he couldn't breathe at times during the Power game. Small tank and have been saying it all year about him. I don't see how he gets an opportunity next year unless there's big improvements.

They both must have gone down hill after Pre season . Both Blakely and Ballard were top performers in the runs. Ballard top 3 in the 3klm if I remember correctly.

Well there's a conundrum, which is it ? Anyway I prefer footballers first. The game requires running obviously but Kane Mitchell won the port 3k today I bet he'd swap a minute or to for a bit more skill.

Not surprised, Blakely looked like he couldn't breathe at times during the Power game. Small tank and have been saying it all year about him. I don't see how he gets an opportunity next year unless there's big improvements.

Blakely and Ballard never had a problem with stamina through out the season for Peel. Ballard won Peels best and made the best of WAFL team FFS. Your small tank comment based one game at the end of a long season for a first year player re Blakely is rubbish. Langdon and Weller also struggled in that game. Those saying Weller played well in that particular game need to have another look at it.

Well there's a conundrum, which is it ? Anyway I prefer footballers first. The game requires running obviously but Kane Mitchell won the port 3k today I bet he'd swap a minute or to for a bit more skill.

So two players in the draft ,one with a 15 plus beep test and good sprint and 3klm times and reasonable skill testing the other with very average times but also reasonable skill testing who do you choose ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back