St Kilda looking to trade out pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaksch went pick 12 but that draft didn't include Jack Martin or Jesse Hogan. He's done nothing to increase his value. He'll go somewhere between pick 20-35. GWS won't be happy and there will be a lot of posturing until the 11th hour but no ones going to pay more than pick 20for a guy that effectively went pick 14 and has done zilch since being drafted.
If Giants don't get a pick inside top 20, they should let him go to the preseason draft.
Giants have no need for picks beyond 20. That's how you force someone's hand

Jaksch went pick 12 but that draft didn't include Jack Martin or Jesse Hogan. He's done nothing to increase his value. He'll go somewhere between pick 20-35. GWS won't be happy and there will be a lot of posturing until the 11th hour but no ones going to pay more than pick 20for a guy that effectively went pick 14 and has done zilch since being drafted.

Competition will be strong for him and I reckon he is probably happy wherever so long as it takes him home. Personal terms will largely dictate where he ends up but regardless if you think it will be that low your really have NFI

Competition will be strong for him and I reckon he just wants to go home. Personal terms will largely dictate where he ends up but regardless if you think it will be that low your really have NFI

As we've seen time and time again your compensation will depend on which team he chooses to go to. Then it will depend on what that team has, and is willing to offer. You might get lucky and he chooses Hawthorn and they have pick 18 to offer, which of course you would jump at. He might choose the Dogs and they can only offer pick 26....which you will end up taking IMO.

If Giants don't get a pick inside top 20, they should let him go to the preseason draft.
Giants have no need for picks beyond 20. That's how you force someone's hand
All clubs should be offering no more than second round picks for their fringe players, they've had enough hand outs

lol wtf? Averaging 27 hitouts at 21 years old.

Average at best. How many of them are to advantage? How many goals has he kicked? How many possessions is he getting, and at what efficiency? How many tackles is he laying? He might be a decent Robbie Warnockish type who can ruck and do little else, I'll give you that, but that's about it. Pick 25 was overs.

I don't think anyone said he wasn't worth "anything". I think what people are saying is that just because someone went at pick 12 does not mean that is what they are worth two years later. The fact that he can't get a game in in young side that has only won a few games means his value has gone down.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him at our club, but I'd be upset if we gave anything more than our second round pick for him. If it takes more then I'd be happy for him to go to another club.

How many KPPs play a lot of games in their first two years? Those that do often get wrecked by the physicality of the game. Spencer White hasn't played a game yet and was a 20s pick so I suppose you should trade him for a fourth rounder this year.

GWS got pick 2
Melbourne got Tyson/9 and change

kidding yourself if you think he's worth a first round pick

Tyson had barely played either at the time he was traded, constantly injured. You realise first round is about 20 picks right? He's not worth a top ten by any stretch but a pick from say 15-20 is a bargain for KPP with two years development under his belt. If St Kilda only offer up their second pick they will get pipped by a smarter club.

Average at best. How many of them are to advantage? How many goals has he kicked? How many possessions is he getting, and at what efficiency? How many tackles is he laying? He might be a decent Robbie Warnockish type who can ruck and do little else, I'll give you that, but that's about it. Pick 25 was overs.

Todd Goldstein at the same age was averaging 8 touches and 14 hitouts a game, try again lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longer gets 20 some hit outs a game but loses by like 15 touches to opposition ruckman which makes his hit outs practically useless

I'll be the first to admit Billy needs to develop his game to get more possessions around the ground but what you've posted above is an exageration. A quick look at the stats reveal the biggest possession discrepancy with his opponent has been -14 (only 1 other game double figures) and biggest win +3 with an average around the -5 mark (a bit different to -15 as you posted).

The guy has been #1 ruck for the worst performing midfield and team and he's only turned 21 this year playing mostly against ruckman 5 years his senior, I reckon you give him a break.

Finally, the club invested pick 25 on the player Billy will become, not the player he is now, just as Brisbane did when using a top 10 draft pick on him in 2011. I firmly believe he will become one of the dominant ruckman in the competition over the next 5 years. He and Grundy the clear standout 21 and unders with a fair gap in between.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit Billy needs to develop his game to get more possessions around the ground but what you've posted above is an exageration. A quick look at the stats reveal the biggest possession discrepancy with his opponent has been -14 (only 1 other game double figures) and biggest win +3 with an average around the -5 mark (a bit different to -15 as you posted).

The guy has been #1 ruck for the worst performing midfield and team and he's only turned 21 this year playing mostly against ruckman 5 years his senior, I reckon you give him a break.

Finally, the club invested pick 25 on the player Billy will become, not the player he is now, just as Brisbane did when using a top 10 draft pick on him in 2011. I firmly believe he will become one of the dominant ruckman in the competition over the next 5 years. He and Grundy the clear standout 21 and unders with a fair gap in between.
Would you like to double check the stat. He lost to Dawson Simpson 3-8 possessions and 16-52 hit outs... Yes Dawson simpspn

Would you like to double check the stat. He lost to Dawson Simpson 3-8 possessions and 16-52 hit outs... Yes Dawson simpspn

how does that backup your "loses possessions by 15 a game" argument post I quoted?

Actually, I just realised I was arguing with a child.

how does that backup your "loses possessions by 15 a game" argument post I quoted?

Actually, I just realised I was arguing with a child.
Simpson was just one example in the sample space, I told u to double check ur stat because I think it is inaccurate. My last example is to show that longer got demolished by probably the worst afl ruckman can't possible make him anything better the average.

Does that explain 8 disposals a game?

Goldstein averaged 8 disposals in his second season. Up to 12 in his third. Playing second ruck
Longer is averaging 7 in his third. Playing first ruck.

Not sure what point youre trying to make but criticising Goldsteins second year of AFL football five years ago to try and make a positive spin on Longer seems pretty pointless.

He's probably the worst young(or maybe just everyone) ruckman in the league ATM. Behind Grundy lycett Nichols witts, hickey, age is not an excuse. He loses on purpose disposals, hitouts and pressure around stoppages, I think it's very fair to just label him as "average" or maybe even a stretch. He has the potential and talent, but he isn't showing any signs of unleashing it, just like watts and vickery

Last edited:
Goldstein averaged 8 disposals in his second season. Up to 12 in his third. Playing second ruck
Longer is averaging 7 in his third. Playing first ruck.

Not sure what point youre trying to make but criticising Goldsteins second year of AFL football five years ago to try and make a positive spin on Longer seems pretty pointless.
He was the same age Longer is now.

I'm not criticizing Goldstein, he's a gun, I'm saying rucks take a little while to become the complete package. Grundy isn't great in the ruck at the moment but does well around the ground, wouldn't you say he should be given time to work on the former?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back