Teams Needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

So Parish is 'the one'?
I'm actually pretty happy with our outside/classy/skillful midfield options now (eg. Templeton, Webster, Newnes, Acres, McKenzie, Lonie, Markworth) so for mine I reckon our priority is simply to get the best pure midfield options available to us. Ie. those who are "genuine mids", who win a whole lot of the ball and are top quality. So I wouldn't be fussed if we grabbed Mathieson, if we deemed him to be best available, or Parish, or a Tucker. Just as long as they are a "genuine elite mid" and win a lot of the ball.

Last edited:
I think you've nailed a need for something like 16 of the 18 clubs. ;)

Yeah, can modern footy cater to the old time superstar forward?

I reckon we've seen two types of that old time superstar forward

One is the Lockett, Dunstall, Wade, Ablett, etc type

then the Carey, Brown, Riewoldt, Tredrea, Pavlich, etc type

The first type is perhaps going to find it difficult to be given the time to grow into the player they can be, or maybe even find it hard to be drafted in the first place?

The second type is what we are now shooting for with guys like Cameron, Patton, Boyd, Hogan, Daniher on the cusp

We still have N. Riewoldt, Hawkins, Cloke, Roughead, Franklin leading the way with second rung guys like Tippett, Walker, Gunston, Schulz, J. Riewoldt etc hot on their heels.

Maybe the first type is lost to footy with perhaps Walker, Schulz, J. Riewoldt the closest well get to them.

But the second type will remain a high priority focus for the modern AFL recruiter.

Rambling over, I'd love for Port to pick up Hawkins as a free agent.

Yeah, can modern footy cater to the old time superstar forward?

I reckon we've seen two types of that old time superstar forward

One is the Lockett, Dunstall, Wade, Ablett, etc type

Maybe that first type is lost to footy with perhaps Walker, Schulz, J. Riewoldt the closest well get to them.
Paddy McCartin is pretty much as close to your Lockett's/Dunstall's as far as playing style and attributes goes as we've probably seen since they retired, so it will be very interesting to see how he goes throughout his career.

Paddy McCartin is pretty much as close to your Lockett's/Dunstall's as far as playing style and attributes goes as we've probably seen since they retired, so it will be very interesting to see how he goes throughout his career.

Okay, I need to see more of the lad, I'm looking forward to watching his progress ... :thumbsu:

Okay, I need to see more of the lad, I'm looking forward to watching his progress ... :thumbsu:
He's like your old-style, lead-out-from-the-goalsquare-and-run-through-anyone-that-gets-in-your-way type, like Plugger and also like Plugger, he is extremely strong overhead and in 1-on-1 contested marking situations, while also being elite with the ball coming in below his knees on the lead, so it will indeed be interesting to see how someone who plays like that goes with the game being so different these days to when Plugger, Dunstall and co. played.

Not saying he's as good as Plugger BTW, as the chance of that being the case is immensely unlikely, just that he has some very similar attributes and plays in a similar way. Plugger was taller relatively (191cm back then was probably like 196/197cm is now), likely stronger, I think he was more explosive on the lead and his kicking was better, both around the ground and of course for goal, with Plugger being one of the best ever for someone his size in both of those regards.

At the open training session recently Paddy told me that he had "lost a few kegs" so that he could get up the ground and run around more, so he'll actually probably end up playing a similar sort of game to a Taylor Walker or Tom Hawkins.

KPF as first concern but doubt we will ever draft one with Keays most likely going to cost us our first pick next season. Our window is very close and will peak in ~4 years just from our midfield alone but we will not have enough time to develop a KPF in 2 years to coincide with the peaking midfield, will have to use FA. A 'sure bet' KPD will be another option and also possibly elite speed, elite footskills outside mid to complement our inside mids. Still a long way to go to show who has it and who doesn't with our young list but early signs show that everyone drafted (excluding last draft period - too early t tell) can at least play AFL footy at a reasonable level.

Griff and Ty are good second rucks and Hampson is al right backup.
Hampson is a great ruckman, but offers little to nothing else after the ruck dual.

The other 2 are adequate 2nd rucks but neither could be no. 1.

Jay Shulz but better below the knees is a comparison I've heard
Yep, Schultz would be another good comparison as far as the role he plays goes. If his kicking for goal ends up as reliable as Jay's then he could really be something! Looking at Shultz's contested marking stats over his career I think Paddy is likely to be stronger in that area than him though, as that is a real feature of his game.

From the little bit I've seen of him Paddy is just ridiculously clean below his knees. I've seen him twice now take marks below his knees with the ball just off the ground, clean in his hands, like a slips catch. Most others in that situation would try to get under it and scoop it up in their arms and up to their chest, but Paddy just grabs them cleanly in his hands, fingers pointing down to the ground, like it's no big deal. It's seriously impressive!

We need another gun Tall forward if Ty/Griff dont come on.

Another A grade mid

Another genuine ready to go Ruckman.

Those 3 players take us from fringe finalists to having a crack IMO.
Greedy :(
Another A-Grade mid? You have Ellis and Miles who are stars and will only get better. Then you already ahve 3 A-Grader mids. Dusty, Cotch and Lids.

We only have Selwood and an aging Johnson who will probably play as a forward this yr.

Quality kpp's in both attack and defense would be handy. We have Appness and Taber developing nicely but another would be good. In the back half only Alex Peace seems likely as Tanner Smith has limitations and injuries which have him now placed on the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another A-Grade mid? You have Ellis and Miles who are stars and will only get better. Then you already ahve 3 A-Grader mids. Dusty, Cotch and Lids.

We only have Selwood and an aging Johnson who will probably play as a forward this yr.

One or both of Duncan and Guthrie will be A graders before too long and Motlop is a freak.

Yep, Schultz would be another good comparison as far as the role he plays goes. If his kicking for goal ends up as reliable as Jay's then he could really be something! Looking at Shultz's contested marking stats over his career I think Paddy is likely to be stronger in that area than him though, as that is a real feature of his game.

From the little bit I've seen of him Paddy is just ridiculously clean below his knees. I've seen him twice now take marks below his knees with the ball just off the ground, clean in his hands, like a slips catch. Most others in that situation would try to get under it and scoop it up in their arms and up to their chest, but Paddy just grabs them cleanly in his hands, fingers pointing down to the ground, like it's no big deal. It's seriously impressive!

I think your underselling Shulz a bit. Top 15 in the league in contested marks at his height is no easy task

Haha I dont rate Ellis or Miles as A graders, neither can really take a game by the scruff IMO, like say Cotch or a Selwood.

Dusty and LIds are not A grade mids IMO, they are exceptional forwards who can dominate 1 week in the guts then drop off massively the following week.

Cotch needs someone who can take the heat off occasionally in the engine room. For example teams never know who to tag our of SElwood and JOhnson, where as they almost always tag Cotch for us.

Haha I dont rate Ellis or Miles as A graders, neither can really take a game by the scruff IMO, like say Cotch or a Selwood.

Dusty and LIds are not A grade mids IMO, they are exceptional forwards who can dominate 1 week in the guts then drop off massively the following week.

Cotch needs someone who can take the heat off occasionally in the engine room. For example teams never know who to tag our of SElwood and JOhnson, where as they almost always tag Cotch for us.

Harsh on Martin. If you guys weren't so short on inside mids, before Miles stood up Cotchin was practically playing a lone hand, I could see most sides choosing to tag Martin over Cotch.

Harsh on Martin. If you guys weren't so short on inside mids, before Miles stood up Cotchin was practically playing a lone hand, I could see most sides choosing to tag Martin over Cotch.
Once he reaches a consistent level of out put I reckon you are right.

I think your underselling Shulz a bit. Top 15 in the league in contested marks at his height is no easy task
Yeah I'm not saying he's bad at it by any means, but averaging just the 1.12 contested marks per game over his career suggests that it's not a major strength of his, whereas contested marking is considered a major strength of Paddy's, which is why I think he might end up better in that regard than Jay, which is no insult to Jay.

Dusty drops off? I don't call one week getting 30 disposals then the next getting 20&3 dropping off :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back