Essendon
winb.png
vs
aus.png

GYI0059012561_crop_450x500.jpg

The Frank Worrel Torphy

Fixtures:

WI Board XI v Australians at Bridgetown
Apr 2-4, 2012 (10:00 local | 00:00 EST | 23:30 CST | 22:00 WST)

1st Test: West Indies v Australia at Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
Apr 7-11, 2012 (10:00 loca| 00:00 EST | 23:30 CST | 22:00 WST)

2nd Test: West Indies v Australia at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad
Apr 15-19, 2012 (10:00 local | 00:00 EST | 23:30 CST | 22:00 WST)

3rd Test: West Indies v Australia at Windsor Park, Roseau, Dominica
Apr 23-27, 2012 (10:00 local | 00:00 EST | 23:30 CST | 22:00 WST)

Australian Squad

Michael Clarke (C)
Shane Watson (VC)
Michael Beer (VB)
Ed Cowan
Peter Forrest
[strike]Brad Haddin (+)[/strike]
Ryan Harris
Ben Hilfenhaus
Mike Hussey
Nathan Lyon
Peter Nevill (+)
James Pattinson
Ricky Ponting
Peter Siddle
Mitchell Starc
Matthew Wade (+)
David Warner

WICB President's XI squad

Carlton Baugh (C, +)
Ryan Austin
Nkrumah Bonner
Johnson Charles
Kyle Corbin
Fidel Edwards
Jason Holder
Delorn Johnson
Nelon Pascal
Kieran Powell
Devon Smith
Devon Thomas

(Bold = Likely to be around the WI test squad)

West Indian Squads:
(To be updated as they get named for each test)

Broadcasting:
All tests live on Foxtel (I assume, anyway)

I don't know if ABC are broadcasting the matches. And I think that's all the important stuff. Excuse the boring thread title.

So anyway the tour match kicks off tonight/tomorrow morning/midnight/whatever. As has been our way recently we've named our team in advance. Matthew Wade gets rested, and the only thing stopping him from a test debut is a voodoo doll or Peter Nevill hitting 432* off 212 balls. Warner, Hussey and Starc joins Wade on the sidelines. Cowan, Ponting, Clarke, Nevill, Siddle and Beer will be playing their first games on the tour. You can pretty much include James Pattinson in that list too.

Australians: Ed Cowan, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (capt), Peter Forrest, Peter Nevill (wk), Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Lyon, Michael Beer (12th man but can bowl).

As usual no-one quite knows what to expect from the West Indies when they name their squads. It seems Chris Gayle V the WICB hasn't been sorted out. Sunil Narine is probably going to the IPL, which will set off a lot of discussion. My only thing to say about that is that Narine has a contract with team (X) worth about $700K US, and no has no contract with team (Y).

Chris Gayle is a big loss, as they don't have an opener really saying "pick me", but WI have the very capable leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo to replace Sunil Narine (Indeed, if WI were to only play one spinner, Bishoo would probably be it for me). The 19yo Kraigg Brathwaite is probably first choice to get thrown to the wolves as opener. Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who was in majestic form in the 2008 series, should return after being over-looked for the ODers. Ramnaresh Sarwan will not. Kirk Edwards (First drop), Darren Bravo (4), Kieran Powell (5) and Adrian Barath (opener) are the other names will make up the batting spots. Powell obviously the most likely to miss out. Dwayne Bravo, who may or may not be off to the IPL and Marlon Samuels will be fighting it out for the number 6. Samuels being capable of sending down crappy 'spin' and Bravo being capable of sending bowl decent seamers

Bowling-wise, Ravi Rampaul, who has improved into a pretty handy bowler, has returned from injury in recent days. His return means Kemar Roach will probably miss out, as Fidel Edwards is first choice nowadays, and Darren Sammy is the captain. 3 seamers means Samuels will probably get the nod.

So rough guess at a WI team:

K. Brathwaite
A. Barath
K. Edwards
Dareen Bravo
S. Chanderpaul
Dwayne Bravo/Marlon Samuels
C. Baugh (+)
D. Sammy (C)
R. Rampaul
F. Edwards
D. Bishoo

However, this is the WI. Expect a lol-worthy selection. Johnson Charles hanging around all these squads is a worry....

Grats to nevill for representing Aus after a couple of good seasons :thumbsu:

Nevill, paine and Wade give the selectors 'good' headaches for a change.

Yeah would say Roach will be in ahead of Fidel. Anyone know what time the tour match starts tonight/tomorrow and if there is any radio/stream coverage as fox isn't broadcasting it(long shot, I know)?

First choice may be over-stating it - that's Rampaul probably - but Sammy, Rampaul, Edwards and Bish has been the preferred attack over the past year and while Roach was pretty good in the OD series, I reckon Edwards has the inside track. A bad performance in the tour match will change it though.

Hilfenhaus 13-6-22-0, Harris 13-3-23-4, Pattinson 10-4-18-0, Siddle 12-3-31-1, Lyon 12-2-54-1, Beer 8.2-1-41-4, Pres XI all out for 201.

In reply Watson on 38, Cowan out for 12.

Beer certainly keeping his name in the frame. According to Foxsports Nevill dropped one as did Watson.

Watson was dropped at gully on 38 before LBW on 42.

Hilfenhaus 13-6-22-0, Harris 13-3-23-4, Pattinson 10-4-18-0, Siddle 12-3-31-1, Lyon 12-2-54-1, Beer 8.2-1-41-4, Pres XI all out for 201.

Beer well played. I think Lyon had done enough to get the nod.

Anyone know if the pitches and conditions will help Hilfy?

Harris, Siddle and Pattinson strong contenders though for 1st test!

Good signs from the bowling point of view. The quick who misses out is going to be an unlucky bowler. I wouldn't read a huge amount into Beers 4for as three of them were tailenders getting out slogging. Still good backup and could do a job. Same old from Watto in the batting and a bit disappointing about Nevill's dropped catch but without seeing it, it's hard to comment.

Fidel Edwards is a lock. He and Rampaul have really grown a leg over the last 18 months and hopefully can extract something out of the slow turners we can expect. I expect Kensington Oval and the Queen's Park Oval to be similar, but Windsor Park in Dominica should over some pace and bounce - it was a fantastic Test cricket wicket in the India Test last year that gave a great contest between bat and ball.

I agree with Phone, the attack will be Sammy, Rampaul, Edwards, Bishoo. Narine has no central contract and deserves the $$$ while it's on offer. A darkhorse might be a recall for Sulimann Benn. Has taken a shitload of wickets for Barbados in their domestic 4-day competition.

The batting is still a huge concern, and while the Windies management continue to bat their three most inexperienced players at the top of the order, that's not going to change. Marlon Samuels should play ahead of Dwayne Bravo IMO. Kirk Edwards has an awkward technique but did rack up a ton against India on debut last year. One to watch.

Going to be a very difficult job for the selectors to select a bowling lineup. Siddle and Hilfenhaus are locks after pretty amazing summers. Pattinson has been awesome in each of his tests, got injured and hasn't really had much joy playing in the shorter formats, but bowled 10 overs for just 18 runs in the tour match. Harris is a very very good bowler and could be the leader of our attack, but has actually said he expects to miss out. He took 4-23 overnight, so how are we going to leave any of them out?

Beer did well again, from reading Cricinfo's report he looked much more dangerous than Lyon. I reckon he'd do a very good job if he got a chance again.

Good to see so many of our bowlers in great form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if harris is fit we must pick him.

He's taking over 4 wickets a match at 22 with an economy under 3, his only drawback is his body which probably wont let him play more than 20 tests in his career but while fit for this short time we should use him.

I don't think Edwards is quite a lock...but yeah, he will probably get the nod ahead of Roach (for the first Test at least).

Great to see Beer taking a few scalps and backing up his excellent domestic summer. It'll be healthy for Lyon to have somebody nipping at his heels.

My first choice attack would be Siddle, Pattinson, Harris, Watson, Lyon. Hilfenhaus pretty unlucky but I think Harris will be better on Windian tracks.

Good problem we have with the bowlers!! I wonder if Pattinson might be the one left out. Loved him before he got injured but hasn't looked as devastating since his return to the International scene.

I know Test format is so different but who to leave out?

i have nfi about the quicks either. Harris was the best before he got injured in SA. Siddle is safe. Hilfy was absolutely brilliant against India, Patto is the future but hasn't been as damaging in the limited overs formats since his Injury.

In other news.....Clarke and Ponting at the crease again. Sick. Of. It! :p
Also, it might be OTT but it worries me clarke playing any game that isn't a test match. I worry that he will come out tomorrow, hit another double because he's brilliant and in the process run too much and rehurt his back. His own Brilliance was his downfall in his comeback in australia....I hope it isn't repeated.

In other news.....Clarke and Ponting at the crease again. Sick. Of. It! :p
Also, it might be OTT but it worries me clarke playing any game that isn't a test match. I worry that he will come out tomorrow, hit another double because he's brilliant and in the process run too much and rehurt his back. His own Brilliance was his downfall in his comeback in australia....I hope it isn't repeated.

Good call! Did he really need to play this game! He did have a bit of time away for the game and wants to make sure he is still in good nick.

Think his health for the tests are more important! Fingers crossed

Forrest with a 50 again, that boy just keeps on making runs.
Don't quite know what is going on with the wickets as WI twitter is a bit iffy. Lyon has 4 and Hilfy 4.

Sounds like Nevill has dropped his second catch in this match.

If Ryan Harris is fit, he should be first paceman picked I think. I love the bloke. He is quite possibly (big statement this) the best paceman in the world at present. Definitely up there with Steyn and Anderson.

It's nice to have to select only three from Harris, Siddle, Pattinson and Hilfenhaus. Good problem to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back