West Indies v India (2 Tests, 3 ODIs, 5 T20Is)

Remove this Banner Ad

This result is just sad, It'll only get worse, look at South Africa' decline, there'll be probably 3 decent test sides in the future (Aus, Eng, Ind) all playing each other. The individual boards just hoard all the cash, there's no incentive to grow the game or contribute towards a quality product, it's all about cash. Australia's upcoming summer will be another disaster, non competitive cricket in front of poor crowds, CA absolutely deserves it too.

This result is just sad, It'll only get worse, look at South Africa' decline, there'll be probably 3 decent test sides in the future (Aus, Eng, Ind) all playing each other. The individual boards just hoard all the cash, there's no incentive to grow the game or contribute towards a quality product, it's all about cash. Australia's upcoming summer will be another disaster, non competitive cricket in front of poor crowds, CA absolutely deserves it too.
CA aren't completely flashed with cash themselves. They need money themselves to promote and develop the sport in a competitive landscape and to attract young athletes to play the sport. What do you want CA to do? Do test tours a bit more there? Yep, that'll solve all of WI's issues.

Shannon Gabriel just keeps clinging on doesn't he? I think it says more of the pace bowling stocks in the Windies than anything. Jayden Seales dumped after the Aussie tour?

Shannon Gabriel just keeps clinging on doesn't he? I think it says more of the pace bowling stocks in the Windies than anything. Jayden Seales dumped after the Aussie tour?
Seales is injured. He hasn't played a game since that 1st Test in Australia. He was supposed to play county cricket for Sussex but had to pull out of that too.

He has the luxury a bit like a Patrick Patterson of yesteryear of being reliant on brute strength for his pace so it will desert him later than most

Good opportunity blown after the tea break this morning.

Much much better from the Windies. If you’re going to commit to dour cricket (which Brathwaite and Chanderpaul are both capable of) then commit to it fully.

Glad we have taken a punt on McKenzie. Has had a really strong start to his first class career. Perhaps he and Athinaze can pump some life into the middle order

Well. It’s been incredibly slow and negative but I am very glad to see some application.

Whether you are attacking the game or defending it, commit fully to it and that is what they have done.
McKenzie looked really good, Athanaze has looked very solid again, more runs from Brathwaite. Blackwood has probably used up his last life I suspect.

Useless stat of the day:

Since 2010, Kraigg Brathwaite ranks third (as near as I can work out) for balls faced per innings by all openers behind only Cook and Latham.

Well. It’s been incredibly slow and negative but I am very glad to see some application.

Whether you are attacking the game or defending it, commit fully to it and that is what they have done.
McKenzie looked really good, Athanaze has looked very solid again, more runs from Brathwaite. Blackwood has probably used up his last life I suspect.

Useless stat of the day:

Since 2010, Kraigg Brathwaite ranks third (as near as I can work out) for balls faced per innings by all openers behind only Cook and Latham.
Brathwaite, CP Jr, McKenzie and Athanaze, if this pays off, would be a good top 4 for the next couple of years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they wont win it (just dont have the application imo), but would be awesome to see the WI chase down these runds on day 5

It’s exactly this sort of situation where once a year we will pull a win out of our backside and get across the line in a position from where we have no right to do so.

I can’t see it happening though. On these pitches against this opposition I’d settle for a draw.

For some reason the powers that be in WI cricket have not cottoned into the fact that serving up conditions that not only don’t suit us, but actively suit the opposition, is not going to help us compete

I don't think we would have delcared so soon if this was a bigger country. I don't think it's worth losing the match for a 180 run second innings

If I was the WI I would tell Chanderpaul to go into lockdown, give Blackwood a licence to attack and that’s the lone shot at victory. If it works for a session, holder could be promoted. If it doesn’t, da Silva, Holder and Chanderpaul just need to shut up shop.

Jason Holder's form is surely starting to get concerning? He's averaging 21 with the bat and 44 with the ball since the start of 2022. They dropped Mayers (although I think they said he's technically rested) and he was averaging 28 with the bat and 14 with the ball in the same period. He'd taken more wickets than Holder in that time too.

His bowling in particular concerns me as they've got him bowling this holding role because of how economical he can be but he seems to have lost any penetration he had as a result. Pitches aren't helping him tbf but that's when if he was making runs it'd be okay but he's not.

I really want him to bat 8 and pick another bat (or Mayers) as that's where he's made most of his big runs anyway but I don't know whether he can get back to being a front line bowler the way he's looking. He did look alright in his first spell with the newer ball in the 1st innings of this Test.

Jason Holder's form is surely starting to get concerning? He's averaging 21 with the bat and 44 with the ball since the start of 2022. They dropped Mayers (although I think they said he's technically rested) and he was averaging 28 with the bat and 14 with the ball in the same period. He'd taken more wickets than Holder in that time too.

His bowling in particular concerns me as they've got him bowling this holding role because of how economical he can be but he seems to have lost any penetration he had as a result. Pitches aren't helping him tbf but that's when if he was making runs it'd be okay but he's not.

I really want him to bat 8 and pick another bat (or Mayers) as that's where he's made most of his big runs anyway but I don't know whether he can get back to being a front line bowler the way he's looking. He did look alright in his first spell with the newer ball in the 1st innings of this Test.

Agree, it’s worrying. I thought SA would be a good chance for him to turn it around with the ball but it didn’t really happen.

If I was the WI I would tell Chanderpaul to go into lockdown, give Blackwood a licence to attack and that’s the lone shot at victory. If it works for a session, holder could be promoted. If it doesn’t, da Silva, Holder and Chanderpaul just need to shut up shop.
Nice plan, but I worry about the fall back if that does not work out. I can trust in Holder and CP Jr, but I don't have the confidence in de Silva to hold the innings together. Maybe something for Athanaze or McKenzie in the next ten years.

Jermaine Blackwood's test career on the line
Only 3 players have batted in the top 6 more than Jermaine Blackwood (55 Tests) with a worse average. Grant Flower (67 Tests), Mohammad Ashraful (61 Tests), Alistair Campbell (60 Tests).

Only 3 players have batted in the top 6 more than Jermaine Blackwood (55 Tests) with a worse average. Grant Flower (67 Tests), Mohammad Ashraful (61 Tests), Alistair Campbell (60 Tests).
Fuark I had no idea he'd played that many tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back