Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the people that come on the Buckley thread to gloat when we have beaten powerhouses of the likes of Brisbane and St Kilda.

Guess it shows how far we have come under Bucks.

Agree next Saturday will give us a better picture of where we are at though.
Maybe we are happy because we can see a glimmer of hope of what the future may look like?
Or, after a downer last week happy to take the four points.

Liked the look of the side last night, only played the saints but the signs were good. Structures were put into place after the first 10 mins started poorly, and we dominated from there. Shows signs that the kids are tracking in the right direction. Thought bucks coached well last night.
This thread should be a little quiter this week

How dare Buckley ruin our lynching of him for a week!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe we are happy because we can see a glimmer of hope of what the future may look like?
Or, after a downer last week happy to take the four points.
I like the way we moved the ball on quickly at every opportunity and took risks.

Whether we can do it against the better sides under real pressure will be telling.

I like the way we moved the ball on quickly at every opportunity and took risks.
Whether we can do it against the better sides under real pressure will be telling.
That's better, enjoy the week as until we have a full list to choose from, these types of wins may be rare.:p

Love the people that come on the Buckley thread to gloat when we have beaten powerhouses of the likes of Brisbane and St Kilda.

Thread is about Buckley's coaching ability.

He again made correct decision in who came in and out, Dwyer was clean and Gault provided a good target...not Bucks fault that he couldn't hold a mark.

He also made a great sub call, moving Goldsack back worked well, and the kids are playing for him...the effort is clearly there.

Even against Adelaide, Walsh admitted that our tactics hampered them more than what North dished up.

So far Bucks has started the season well from a coaching pperspective. Be great to see what we can do when our most talented kids are ready for AFL.

Considering the media were pumping up the Aints young talent all week, was pleased that our youngsters really stood up and out did theirs.

Both sides still had some of their better youngster out of last nights team surely we are well paced for the future.
If Freeman, Scharenberg, Moore, Manteit, Kennedy, Abbott, Maynard, DeGoey and Goodyear can come on we will be up for a long time in a few years.

Sure we will get pumped a few times this year but the signs are good going forward and we look to have a nucleus to contend in years to come especially if they grow together ala Brisbane and Geelong sides of yesteryear.
What we have to do is just hang on for a year or 2 and then our boys will be battle hardened and ready.Watching them at times I think it could even be earlier maybe towards the end of this season but you can see it progressing slowly but surely.
I also think we may be in for a "changing of the guard" as re the team,the game is passing 1 or 2 of our long term players by and they may be replaced by years end just like in 2010.Players like Oxley and Ramsay may well be best 22 by years end and that may be no bad thing because both use the ball well and we have not even seen Moore and Sharenberg yet and from all reports they use the ball even better.
Good times coming I think,if Keeffe and Thomas had not been such dickheads it would have been this season I am sure,I am not talking flags here just good consistent football which is where flags come from anyway.

1960058-3x2-340x227.jpg

Strange bump really the thread would have naturally lost a lot of oxygen...

At the end of the day we are ultimately supporters so all those who feel that Buckley isn't the man were no doubt soaking up the win.

Only the wishy washiest of supporters is going to have their perception of Buckley change week to week.

Edit: I did like his use of Goldsack and the three tall's this week. Using Goldsack on the kick ins was particularly beneficial because he isn't a forwards a-hole.

Last edited:

Yeah pretty ridiculous to rejoice in our coach and team having a good game, we're so sad

This discussion, now, is pointless. Buckley's going for the long-term development, we all know that.

These kids will be inconsistent, less skilled and under developed compared to the more experienced sides in the comp.

We will flog the lower sides, and get flogged by the top sides. The second half of the season is where we'll really know where we are, and if Bucks' plan is working ... whether we're able to at least compete with the more experienced sides, and if our team is starting to gel with a clear structure in place.

I just wanted to state my total support and commitment to Bucks for the period starting now until 10pm Friday....

Because of the win, i'm willing to extend my commitment to Bucks until Anzac Day but I hope he doesn't get bigheaded like he usually does. He should just try to stay out of the way and not get involved in the players' preparation.

Strange bump really the thread would have naturally lost a lot of oxygen...

Win, lose or draw - Buckley is our senior coach. It's kinda curious that we only seem to talk about him after a loss?

At the end of the day we are ultimately supporters so all those who feel that Buckley isn't the man were no doubt soaking up the win. Only the wishy washiest of supporters is going to have their perception of Buckley change week to week.

Fair enough - but perceptions can get a bit distorted when Swanny gets credited for the wins and Buckley gets blamed for the losses. There is a bit of that going on.

Edit: I did like his use of Goldsack and the three tall's this week. Using Goldsack on the kick ins was particularly beneficial because he isn't a forwards a-hole.

Hmmm, maybe. The forward line is tricky - IMHO Fas deserved to be dropped, but I wasn't impressed with Gault's game yesterday either. I'm hoping it was only nerves.

On a positive note, I thought PK did really well in the brief time he was on.

Win, lose or draw - Buckley is our senior coach. It's kinda curious that we only seem to talk about him after a loss?

I guess that's what made it such a interesting choice of content to go with for the bump. It wasn't really a nod to what he did well just a yeah we won and no ones potting him kinda bump...

Fair enough - but perceptions can get a bit distorted when Swanny gets credited for the wins and Buckley gets blamed for the losses. There is a bit of that going on.

That's only natural. How often do we read comments like the coach can't get out there and do it for them from the other side of the equation?

Hmmm, maybe. The forward line is tricky - IMHO Fas deserved to be dropped, but I wasn't impressed with Gault's game yesterday either. I'm hoping it was only nerves.

On a positive note, I thought PK did really well in the brief time he was on.

I'd have thought the conditions would have been a bigger factor than nerves myself. It is perplexing to see us go small under the roof at Etihad and then tall in the wet at the G. On the whole though, IMO, that system works better for me than what we went with in the first two rounds so I'm certainly not complaining.

PK was productive, but it also begs the question as to why he was picked off of a dismal VFL display (by his own admission even) yet in round 1 we went with a debutant unable to run out a full game? These are the little inconsistencies that if tightened up on the back of continued improvement can see us rise again, but often leave me scratching my head.

Another issue of note is that many anti Buckleyites focused on our use of Goldsack as a forward and our ball movement from kickins. Many of us were critical that it needed fixing Buckley makes a switch and it looks cleaner already. Maybe some of the mugs out there do actually know a thing or two about the game and aren't being critical for the sake of it, but actually want to see us improve...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This discussion, now, is pointless. Buckley's going for the long-term development, we all know that.

These kids will be inconsistent, less skilled and under developed compared to the more experienced sides in the comp.

We will flog the lower sides, and get flogged by the top sides. The second half of the season is where we'll really know where we are, and if Bucks' plan is working ... whether we're able to at least compete with the more experienced sides, and if our team is starting to gel with a clear structure in place.

+1....you've summed up my feelings on the matter perfectly....well said sir!

We want to see those performances against good opposition, not necessarily winning, but 4 qtr efforts with clean ball movement and structures that work.
Good opposition will apply more pressure. Kids will feel that pressure more. More pressure equals more errors. It's all natural and logical. As the kids mature so will their nerves and errors be reduced. Kids also tire quicker throughout a game and season, again lowering skills/accuracy.
All we need is just a little patience

I guess that's what made it such a interesting choice of content to go with for the bump. It wasn't really a nod to what he did well just a yeah we won and no ones potting him kinda bump...

It wasn't intended as either of those.

It was a "We won, why aren't we talking about Buckley anymore?" kind of a bump.

That's only natural. How often do we read comments like the coach can't get out there and do it for them from the other side of the equation?

Indeed, that's true.

But that then leads onto an interesting discussion about what the coach should and shouldn't be responsible for?

I'd have thought the conditions would have been a bigger factor than nerves myself.

Fair enough.

It is perplexing to see us go small under the roof at Etihad and then tall in the wet at the G.

I wish we had people like you asking questions like that at the post match pressers, rather than the usual mundane stuff we have to endure!

But I also think if you did, you'd get a rational answer. Maybe the wide open spaces of the G are more conducive to having three talls in the forwardline?

On the whole though, IMO, that system works better for me than what we went with in the first two rounds so I'm certainly not complaining.

The scoreline might have been a contributing factor to that too! :p

PK was productive, but it also begs the question as to why he was picked off of a dismal VFL display (by his own admission even) yet in round 1 we went with a debutant unable to run out a full game? These are the little inconsistencies that if tightened up on the back of continued improvement can see us rise again, but often leave me scratching my head.

Again, I reckon you should be doing Mark Stevens' job!

Another issue of note is that many anti Buckleyites ...

I just don't understand how anybody could want to sack the coach after only a few rounds into a season!!

Not suggesting that you want that, but there are people who do!

... focused on our use of Goldsack as a forward and our ball movement from kickins. Many of us were critical that it needed fixing Buckley makes a switch and it looks cleaner already. Maybe some of the mugs out there do actually know a thing or two about the game and aren't being critical for the sake of it, but actually want to see us improve...

I've got a lot of respect for the knowledge the folks on here.

But I know only too well that sometimes things can look easy and obvious to outsiders who are working off a few data points, but for those who are in the thick of it, and having to deal with a lot more data points, and having to deal with unintended consequences, things suddenly become not so straightforward.

Good opposition will apply more pressure. Kids will feel that pressure more. More pressure equals more errors. It's all natural and logical. As the kids mature so will their nerves and errors be reduced. Kids also tire quicker throughout a game and season, again lowering skills/accuracy.
All we need is just a little patience

Yes i accept that, but if u r well drilled, u know your role, your structures should hold up.
Thats what i want to see against the top sides

There isn't a great deal further I can add or otherwise to your post 76 other than on the sacking part.

My read on it in general of those in the anti camp is to allow the season to unfold and then make a decision. There's the obvious hardliners on both sides (Piebeast, Krueger and TG v BJ, Domin8ters & Big Bryza), but even then I haven't really felt like those expressing negative opinions would be keen to see Buckley ousted prematurely. I think it'd be a nice touch from those in the pro camp to also acknowledge that some of the tweaks that anti posters have been screaming for were made and were successful.

On the post match presser stuff the best I can add is that journo's these days are looking for a story and those sorts of questions don't generate lines in an article quite the same way as questions designed to goad coaches.

There are so many others that could be asked such as what brought about the decision to get bigger bodies around the ball? What was the major difference between our ball handling over the past two weeks (pressure around the ball or mindset)? What did he slip Varcoe pre-match to have him morph into Cyril Rioli (it must have been something like Jordan's magic formula in Space Jam)? What was the message post match to him and others that played out of their skin? Was it a case of "yeah it was ok" or "that's what we need from you every week"? On the last bit I hope it was more the former than the latter because our group over the past 5 years has been one that buys into the hype of good performances and then doesn't have the hunger to back it up...

Jeez I ramble!!

As opposed to those that came in here to gloat after a loss? As sure as night follows day, Pies lose and this thread grows by 10 pages in the space of a couple of days. Nobody objects to reasoned, rational debate based on facts but some of the stuff that gets posted here is absolute knee jerk rubbish.

Lol I hardly call the last 3 years knee jerk rubbish............

I haven't really ever had a major problem with Bucks motivational skills. But I have been concerned for a long time that tactically he is poor. That is the main reason I don't think he is the best coach for the job.

I haven't really ever had a major problem with Bucks motivational skills. But I have been concerned for a long time that tactically he is poor. That is the main reason I don't think he is the best coach for the job.
Isn't strange, I believe tactically he is one of the best coaches.

Isn't strange, I believe tactically he is one of the best coaches.

That's heresy Maggie5! 500 years ago you'd be burnt at the stake for a belief like that. I suppose you think the earth is round too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back