Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly surprising is it? There was never any prospect of any other outcome. 2016 results are not relevant to the outcome it is already decided. I'm not sure why the token delay but I guess apprances are somewhat relevant although I'm not sure who to.
The problem for some it seems is that their only measure of performance for the coach is ladder position. For me, ladder position has some relevance to the measure but at this stage in our list's development I place it below other measures because I strongly believe that there are very good reasons why we have not been a realistic chance of contending since 2011 no matter who the coach was. In those circumstances I have seen list development including cultural change as the key things that had to be attended to. Most of the evidence I see indicates that on those fronts the list is developing very nicely and that opinion is reinforced when one takes note of the talented players who see the club as a desirable destination. It is also pleasing to see the obvious improvement in many of our young players. Yes we have fallen away in the second half of both of the last 2 seasons but I happen to think that that too was inevitable given the age profile and other unavoidable factors.

I'm not going to enter into the same old argument that goes round and round in this and other threads on this board because it's clear that some people see only the negative and won't take the time to see the positive. Either that or they have an agenda which makes any reasonable discussion impossible. What seems to be the case if the report is taken at face value is that the club has carefully monitored Bucks' performance and believes that he has the group heading in the right direction. As such, I am more than happy if it chooses to extend his contract. Of course I can see some argument for waiting a bit longer but then there is potential for that course of action to be self-defeating because of the unnecessary pressure it would place on everyone at the club including the coach and players. I'm not sure that inviting that situation is necessarily a good move unless the club has serious doubts about Bucks. It seems clear to me that it has no such doubts.

I don't know, no one could, but I just don't agree with the philosophy if it were to come to pass. I think we would be advised to take the Adelaide, Bulldogs and Carlton path not the Essendon one.

I believe that being a bridesmaid in this industry as often as he has (whilst not the end of the world) is definitely not a good starting point. No doubt others could take a different view.

FWIW we are the only club that has never conducted an interview process for a coach. If/ when we lose Buckley it needs to be an absolute priority that we do.
Why?
So they like many clubs can say, we went through the process?
And then appoint who they want anyway.
If you think you have a leader, a good communicator, a person with direction, someone who wont panic like eg bigfooty nervous nellies, someone with authority, and you think they are the right person give them time, dont panic, and trust them. History shows they are usually the best to deliver results.

I hope that's the case. He deserves one for sure.
Definitelt his last chance though, has to make the 8 next year or he will go :/
He will coach us 2017 and beyond, 20 to 1 on! Thats like getting 5 cents extra for a $1 bet
In other words
Odds on, look on

I hope that's the case. He deserves one for sure.
Definitelt his last chance though, has to make the 8 next year or he will go :/
Way too simplistic. The reality is that if the team fails to perform to expectations and the club can put the cause down to the coach then he may go. I'm quite confident that to this point the club has deemed that our inability to play finals has been both expected and outside the control of the coach. That we have been highly competitive in the first half of each of the last two years has probably come as a pleasant surprise internally.

The problem for some it seems is that their only measure of performance for the coach is ladder position. For me, ladder position has some relevance to the measure but at this stage in our list's development I place it below other measures because I strongly believe that there are very good reasons why we have not been a realistic chance of contending since 2011 no matter who the coach was. .
I agree ladder isn't everything. It's the result of everything else. We did however contend in 2012. In fact given the long term injuries we did well to make the prelim and given the funeral before the game the result of the prelim as hardly surprising. It's from there that the other factors took hold and the ladder followed. All been done to death though.

We've certainly become a destination club the last few years under Bucks. If he gets the arse next season the club should consider keeping him on in some recruiting and/or PR role. #destinationclub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley needs to concentrate on coaching us to make the 8 not a flag. Cart before horse.
If you ever listened to him you'd know he is working to a schedule to emulate the Hawthorn model of bringing players through in packets so they mature together.

There are times in your development when it's not about making the 8 but laying the foundations of a flag.

Pick up your game and stop making stupid statements to be controversial, it's too transparent.

If you ever listened to him you'd know he is working to a schedule to emulate the Hawthorn model of bringing players through in packets so they mature together..
I've listened to him and is is impossible to believe given we were advanced on them in 2011 and I'd argue possibly even in 2012 when we had so many games missed with long term injuries but went down the opposite path to them.

Hawks haven't invested heavily in the draft since they skinned pick 7 off us and drafted Lewis while we took Egan with pick 10.

I've listened to him and is is impossible to believe given we were advanced on them in 2011 and I'd argue possibly even in 2012 when we had so many games missed with long term injuries but went down the opposite path to them.

Hawks haven't invested heavily in the draft since they skinned pick 7 off us and drafted Lewis while we took Egan with pick 10.

Hawks had a better list than us in 2011 and 12 in my opinion. In reality they probably had a better list in 2010 as well, but we were in red hot form with a game plan that teams hadn't got to grips with yet. Hawks should have made the GF in 2011 in reality.

Oh dear,
Back to the past again
Thats so boring - its so yesterday :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back