Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Buckley too chummy with the players? I can't imagine MM going away and having a few stubbies with his players. Is Bucks hard enough?
Huh? Players got really close to MM and it may have encouraged a love for the coach rather than club feeling in the group. Guess that was why Thomas and Beams found it so easy just to take off.
Before we raise Beams' dad, he could have gone to GC and we may have gotten a better deal. Why his dad asking for his boys to play together was Collingwood's problem has got me stuffed. Neither of those two could give a s**t along with the tools who were white anting from within.

I think Buckley might be the perfect coach for us at the moment. For many of the kids who have just entered, or are entering the system, he would be one of their childhood heros. That appears to be helping with recruitment, and at the moment building the list is the priority.

What is more important at the moment is for the list managers and development coaches to make full use of this to build and develop the best possible list.

In the end if Bucks is found out not to be up to it, we at least benefit from having better draft picks, and it is far easier to replace a coach than it is to build a quality list.

Last edited:

Huh? Players got really close to MM and it may have encouraged a love for the coach rather than club feeling in the group. Guess that was why Thomas and Beams found it so easy just to take off.
Before we raise Beams' dad, he could have gone to GC and we may have gotten a better deal. Why his dad asking for his boys to play together was Collingwood's problem has got me stuffed. Neither of those two could give a s**t along with the tools who were white anting from within.
True. The Lions, Cats and Hawks players weren't happy with one premiership. All made sacrifices to win the big dance multiple times. Seems a few of our boys were happy with one or thought they were kings for winning one. Don't get me wrong I was very happy in 2010!

I've listened to him and is is impossible to believe given we were advanced on them in 2011 and I'd argue possibly even in 2012 when we had so many games missed with long term injuries but went down the opposite path to them.

Clarkson didn't have to clean out an off field culture our own football manager called volcanic, that meant we couldn't just top up the way hawthorn did, Bucks has rebuilt from the ground up and positioned us to contend again, the best that could be expected given the circumstances

Clarkson didn't have to clean out an off field culture our own football manager called volcanic, that meant we couldn't just top up the way hawthorn did, Bucks has rebuilt from the ground up and positioned us to contend again, the best that could be expected given the circumstances
So much wrong with this post.

Bucks was given a team that played in 3 consecutive grand finals - in no terms did he rebuilt anything from the bottom up. If anything he demolished things from the top down.

Positioned us to contend again - we are nowhere near contending after two straight years out of the finals. Wins have declined in 4 straight years

If we trade both of our first rounders and 2nd rounders and get Aish, Treloar and Howe and we dont make finals Bucks is 100% gone (unless we get the worst possible injuries) He has had 5 years and now traded off future picks. Pressure on

Bucks was given a team that played in 3 consecutive grand finals - in no terms did he rebuilt anything from the bottom up. If anything he demolished things from the top down.

Positioned us to contend again - we are nowhere near contending after two straight years out of the finals. Wins have declined in 4 straight years

Firstly that list had past it's zenith, in the modern game players perform their best football between 23 and 27

Secondly when your own club has to come out and talk about volcanic off season behaviour you know you are in trouble

There was a very revealing article that compared us to Geelong and Hawthorn and basically said while we stopped to smell the roses the other two clubs had the internal leadership to stay hungry and focused

In other words the slew of players that were done and dusted by 30 for us instead of mid 30's like Haw and Geel players were probably paying for not looking after their bodies

They couldn't kick Wellingham out fast enough for his partying and it's only this year he's come good, imagine not having Grundy and paying the boot 400K+ these past years? give me a break!

Daisy is shadow of his former self and Harry at one stage was wandering around an oval talking to himself while bemused reporters followed him

Didak and Shaw did everything from ride with gangsters shooting off guns out the car window to crashing cars and blowing a prelim with an undisciplined act

Oh but everything was hunky dory and Bucks just had to turn up because we'd won a flag eh, naïve!

Firstly that list had past it's zenith, in the modern game players perform their best football between 23 and 27

Secondly when your own club has to come out and talk about volcanic off season behaviour you know you are in trouble

There was a very revealing article that compared us to Geelong and Hawthorn and basically said while we stopped to smell the roses the other two clubs had the internal leadership to stay hungry and focused

In other words the slew of players that were done and dusted by 30 for us instead of mid 30's like Haw and Geel players were probably paying for not looking after their bodies

They couldn't kick Wellingham out fast enough for his partying and it's only this year he's come good, imagine not having Grundy and paying the boot 400K+ these past years? give me a break!

Daisy is shadow of his former self and Harry at one stage was wandering around an oval talking to himself while bemused reporters followed him

Didak and Shaw did everything from ride with gangsters shooting off guns out the car window to crashing cars and blowing a prelim with an undisciplined act

Oh but everything was hunky dory and Bucks just had to turn up because we'd won a flag eh, naïve!
You make far too many logical points, but there is little point discussing with some posters. In their world everything still remains 2011, Nathan Buckley can not do anything right, nothing, he has zero saving graces.
But they ofcourse know everything.

And this is how a professional goes about it:

SAM EDMUND
Herald Sun

COLLINGWOOD wants to turn Jeremy Howe into the next Isaac Smith.

Howe officially quit Melbourne on Thursday, nominating the Pies as his club of choice after several meetings with coach Nathan Buckley — the latest in Bali days ago.

The high-flying Demon had a more lucrative offer from Gold Coast and one from North Melbourne, but chose Collingwood — the club he supported as a kid — after striking up an excellent relationship with Buckley.

The Pies expressed an interest in Howe as far back as last year, but it was in a detailed presentation a few weeks ago that they sold him a very specific job description.

The Magpies want to transform Howe into a hard-running, up-and-back wingman who can hit the scoreboard, much like Hawthorn’s Smith. Howe has also been told he would spend time forward, where he will study tapes of another Hawk, Jack Gunston

Collingwood see him as a 22-possession wingman who can kick two goals a game. It’s understood the deal is for four years at around $400,000 a season.

Last edited:
You make far too many logical points, but there is little point discussing with some posters. In their world everything still remains 2011, Nathan Buckley can not do anything right, nothing, he has zero saving graces.
But they ofcourse know everything.
It has become so boring hasn't it. So much so that I don't post here anywhere near as much as I used to because of a small group of probably less than a half dozen posters. These guys have consistently posted and reposted known facts which clearly do not support their idiotic arguments unless you conveniently ignore other facts. The suggestion that Bucks dismantled the side to its detriment is about as ignorant a comment as I have ever seen given that most of us knew that the team had significant problems which only now appear to be mostly behind us. The admiration which has been expressed for Bucks from within our playing group and seemingly from players outside the club says much yet a small handful of posters here spend copious amounts of energy using simplistic and ultimately idiotic arguments to suggest that the club is going backwards. The agenda of some of them is so bloody obvious and you really have to laugh when they suggest that they are Collingwood "supporters". Not in my book they're not.

Is Buckley too chummy with the players? I can't imagine MM going away and having a few stubbies with his players. Is Bucks hard enough?

We cant win on this one. For 3-4 years we've been hearing that the players dislike Bucks, that he hasn't got the common touch, he's too aloof and robotic in his dealings with players.

It has become so boring hasn't it. So much so that I don't post here anywhere near as much as I used to because of a small group of probably less than a half dozen posters. These guys have consistently posted and reposted known facts which clearly do not support their idiotic arguments unless you conveniently ignore other facts. The suggestion that Bucks dismantled the side to its detriment is about as ignorant a comment as I have ever seen given that most of us knew that the team had significant problems which only now appear to be mostly behind us. The admiration which has been expressed for Bucks from within our playing group and seemingly from players outside the club says much yet a small handful of posters here spend copious amounts of energy using simplistic and ultimately idiotic arguments to suggest that the club is going backwards. The agenda of some of them is so bloody obvious and you really have to laugh when they suggest that they are Collingwood "supporters". Not in my book they're not.
Well said.
I too post here much less.
I have no issue if people want to raise questions and even concerns etc.
But when its just always negative, with nothing good at all, it becomes as you said, boring. Its just draining too because constant negativity can do that. A bit like a relationship where someone is constantly a wet blanket, things are always bad... Get me out of there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ditto, but I'd advise caution on turning on him next year if things go to s**t because it's very much a "better the devil you know" situation compared to the alternative Ed has in mind...

The only other comment I'd make is why delay the inevitable? If we're giving him an unjustified contract extension why has it been delayed so far?
Terry Wallace?

We are in a results based industry. It isn't too simplistic to measure coaching ability on wins and losses; finals appearances and grand final wins.

When a coach is being discussed by the media, what graphic do they put up on the screen.
It is almost always about, wins and losses, winning %, and finals.

They don't put a graphic saying that he is good mates with his players, he is good with the media.
Brendan McCarthy and Peter Rhode were beloved by their players too. Doesn't mean they can handle the head coach job and as they found out, they didn't last long.

Bucks needs to get his team to improve and start winning or else he will be gone too.

We are in a results based industry. It isn't too simplistic to measure coaching ability on wins and losses; finals appearances and grand final wins.

When a coach is being discussed by the media, what graphic do they put up on the screen.
It is almost always about, wins and losses, winning %, and finals.

They don't put a graphic saying that he is good mates with his players, he is good with the media.
Brendan McCarthy and Peter Rhode were beloved by their players too. Doesn't mean they can handle the head coach job and as they found out, they didn't last long.

Bucks needs to get his team to improve and start winning or else he will be gone too.
If what you saying is true, Clarkson would have been sacked at Hawthorn after two or three years, or sacked two or three years after his first premiership in 2008 when Kennett was publically saying he should be sacked. You are right that it is about wins and losses, but it's also about the philosophy and direction of the club, harmony within the club and the players performing to their maximum potential. Everything in my opinion is pointing in the right direction. What remains now is for the wins to come together and premierships to follow. If it doesn't work out Buckley will fall on his sword.

:rolleyes:

Lost all credibility the moment you used either the replay GF or 2011 pre-season win to make your argument sound better. Your views are wrong and you're also a tool.

:rolleyes:

Lost all credibility the moment you used either the replay GF or 2011 pre-season win to make your argument sound better. Your views are wrong and you're also a tool.

2010 ...... 2010 REPLAY.....2011 = 3

2010 ...... 2010 REPLAY.....2011 = 3

Using 3 consecutive grand finals suggests earning your way to the big dance in 3 years.... This didn't happen.
We made 2 in a row and very nearly lost them both.... Much like 2002/03.

I for one am glad that Malthouse is gone and I can see a very transparent and defined plan, put in place by the new regime.
Given the majority of Collingwood fans are idiots, I expect that if we don't make finals in 2016, he will be gone but I think what has been put in place should bear fruit in 2017-2019.... It would be really, REALLY f_____ stupid to upset the apple cart before then.

Using 3 consecutive grand finals suggests earning your way to the big dance in 3 years.... This didn't happen.
We made 2 in a row and very nearly lost them both.... Much like 2002/03.

I for one am glad that Malthouse is gone and I can see a very transparent and defined plan, put in place by the new regime.
Given the majority of Collingwood fans are idiots, I expect that if we don't make finals in 2016, he will be gone but I think what has been put in place should bear fruit in 2017-2019.... It would be really, REALLY f_____ stupid to upset the apple cart before then.

I am not agreeing with Peter's post wicksy just pointing out the three in a row part.

I am on the fence on this one......so I am a bit bipolar as a Pies supporter half stupid half smart :drunk:

Hi didn't have to clean any more or less than we did after their injunctions.

If we trade both of our first rounders and 2nd rounders and get Aish, Treloar and Howe and we dont make finals Bucks is 100% gone (unless we get the worst possible injuries) He has had 5 years and now traded off future picks. Pressure on

Bucks will be coach in 2017 even if we miss the finals again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back