• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all has a familiar smell to it, this club always ends up shooting itself in the foot.

First decision to stick with Richo after the review.
1. Appears was at least in part due to money - Wouldn't matter at a big club
2. In part due to pride of the board and administrators who extended his contract
3. Then we start hiring his new team and committing to contracts for 2019 and beyond as we set up the new team underneath the re-endorsed coach
4. Meanwhile all this good news just stokes the fires of the players - supporters - sponsors
5. Players start threatening to leave/mutiny
6. Corporates - Sponsors etc start throwing their weight around
7. Supporters start talking about petitions or board challenges
8. Board Panics - and calls a "Secret Board Meeting" which is instantly leaked and they still can't decide

What Next:
9. Finnis resigns - Richo is sacked - want away players still want to leave - We are locked in to appointing Ratten with no proper search.

Just shows the club still runs like my local footy club: Whatever the outcome it is a shambles
You made all of that up.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cant wait for Richo to be sacked so we can win the flag next year.
You lot are so much baying for blood you have lost your sense of perspective.
Personally reckon Richo should be replaced, but that means 2019 is a write off while the new coach recalibrate the game plan and players learn it.
Sacking the coach may be a sugar hit, but it solves very little.
Can't wait for us to be 3-10 and the hobbyist hysterics calling for the new coaches head.

Our coach looks ordinary, but it is not the panacea to all our ills.
Unless the playing group m shaken to its core, it will be 2023 and we will still be wondering the wilderness.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I tried to pm you, but guess what?

More on Bassat's alleged lack of support for Richo.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-saints-bring-sexy-back-20180901-p5017u.html

"Bassat’s first media appearance was notable for his statement that, under his leadership, the Saints were ‘‘highly unlikely’’ to remove Alan Richardson before the 2019 season.

In some quarters, ‘‘highly unlikely’’ was viewed as a phrase that allowed the club wriggle room if they wanted to move Richardson on, despite a contract for next year and a conditional 2020.

Recognising how the comment might be read, it is understood that Bassat immediately contacted Richardson to reassure the coach that he had the new president’s support.

‘‘The club is putting together a coaching panel under Alan that we are confident will take us into 2019,’’ said Bassat, who was likely simply stating the unvarnished truth, that it is ‘‘highly unlikely’’ than anyone besides Richardson will be coach in round one of next year.

Richardson has been heavily involved in the discussions with incoming coaches, led by ex-Carlton senior coach Brett Ratten, and in the player trade talks. The Saints are proceeding on the basis that he will coach next year."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-saints-bring-sexy-back-20180901-p5017u.html

"Bassat’s first media appearance was notable for his statement that, under his leadership, the Saints were ‘‘highly unlikely’’ to remove Alan Richardson before the 2019 season.

In some quarters, ‘‘highly unlikely’’ was viewed as a phrase that allowed the club wriggle room if they wanted to move Richardson on, despite a contract for next year and a conditional 2020.

Recognising how the comment might be read, it is understood that Bassat immediately contacted Richardson to reassure the coach that he had the new president’s support.

‘‘The club is putting together a coaching panel under Alan that we are confident will take us into 2019,’’ said Bassat, who was likely simply stating the unvarnished truth, that it is ‘‘highly unlikely’’ than anyone besides Richardson will be coach in round one of next year.

Richardson has been heavily involved in the discussions with incoming coaches, led by ex-Carlton senior coach Brett Ratten, and in the player trade talks. The Saints are proceeding on the basis that he will coach next year."
You really don’t want him sacked do you, will be a great day when he gets sacked and Gilbert gets the arse

Excitedly told my brother in law of Cho sacking yesterday.

Today he thinks I'm a flog... oh well guess for him its just another day cos he thought that anyway.
I told one of the players' Dad that it was today :(...interestingly, he replied with "fingers crossed"!

I spoke to a retried Saints player 18 months ago, (Played in the 09/10 GF's) he told me that he wished he played under Richo, that the players love him and respected him, funny how much can change in 18 months...
We've gone off the rails progression-wise since then and I wonder if the belief that he may be a lame duck coach might be influencing their decision to want to go if he doesn't - they think next year will just be wasted.

Maybe it's the letch's influence that has changed their mind about where they want to be.

I would laugh if all the disgruntlement essentially came down to Richo trying to include new coaches' ideas into the gameplan and Letch throwing his weight around. The mob would be handing the keys to the very guys they should be pitchforking.

You really don’t want him sacked do you, will be a great day when he gets sacked and Gilbert gets the arse
I just want to see Gilbert mung one off the wrong side of the ball into Level 2 one more time!!

Went for about 6 shits at work today to see if he’d finally been sacked incredibly disappointed the freckled joke isn’t gone
I went for 8.

I can’t ******* wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that changed after Wednesday exit interviews.

already out there, purple covered it with the trigger clause

correct

sure, exactly my point, so if there is no pay out, then you make change, right!

its the risk appetite here, nothing is going to be an easy call. we don't have the appetite to take the risk and its going to cost us more time. another season and the fall out from it. its another trade period wiped out (2019). despite us inevitably going down that path regardless as all the scenarios lead to us going with something unproven, if its ratts well you can do that now and cut out your concern on the delay... see below.

aren't you just moving back how long you are going to have to wait?

under the clubs scenario you are more than likely going to have to sack him anyways in 2019, given he won't hit the target. so then you are waiting two years as you put it, albeit it with a 12 month delay.

clarkos contracted until 2020, so it wont be happening next year and he's reportedly in negotiations to extend by 2 years to hand over to mitchell. longmire is until 2020 as well.

so that leaves you with ratts. which we could do now ;-) so why delay, given thats your concern.

if ratts is the answer well you're just taking a hit on all the instability in 2019 as well, because you want a trial period on what he's like and play it safe. again affecting next years trade targets.

we need to get out of the realm on playing it safe. we need to have some resolve and dare. hopefully lethlean brings some of that into the organisation.

i think we will look back and see a club playing it too safe again. wanting to hedge their bets, then ending up at the inevitable outcome where richo is sacked in 2019 and replaced with either an untried coach or ratten. either of which could have been implemented now and saved us 12 months of bullshit.
look i agree with pretty much all of what you have written but again the pay out is an issue but not the huge issue the fact we got Ratts to sign on without it being for the top job i think means we are doing it for a cost saving exercise .. i dont know Ratts personallity or his values but maybe he is fine with sitting back for a season waiting for the take over .. who knows ... for me fact is we will need at least two drafts to right some wrongs provided we get the trades right so may as well keep Richo on and get our picks his record will speak for itself next season and sacking him will not have as much blow back as it would doing it today ...
i actually like the idea of the guys we have brought in working with our younger guys developing them .. let Richo try and coach the s**t trucks like Weller who offer nothing

If it's Finnis that is holding up a sacking of Richo, then I'd almost go as far to say that he needs to be supplanted immediately. Apart from the move back to Moorabbin (which I still maintain was a matter of *if* not when, such that any administration would have done it eventually - not to take anything away from those involved), Finnis has done a lot of grandstanding to build his own image, such as aiming for an AFLW license before establishing a proper VFL side, or even a healthy VFL affiliation for that matter. If he is blocking the sacking of Richo in order to prevent tarnishing his image, then that is reprehensible.

Comparing the two AFL cronies in Lethlean and Finnis, both of them have desire to hold high ranking positions in the AFL head office. However, since Lethlean was pushed out, he must deliver in order to redeem himself and justify a return, whereas Finnis looks like he's merely trying to dress up his resume with a nice little bow on top. But whilst success for Lethlean is tied directly to the success of our club, this doesn't appear to be the case for Finnis and may hurt the club (potentially significantly).
i dont think Finnis is blocking anything but by all means drag his name through the mud ...
fact is AFLW is wanted by the AFL .. AFLW is funded by the AFL... our new home is funded on the basis of being a community hub including links to female football.... our zoned area of Melbourne has one of (if not the) highest female AFL participation rates sor the move for the AFLW team is 100% a correct move...

the standalone VFL team is a pipe dream .. its not going to happen , the AFL dont want it , the VFL dont want it so it will never grow legs ... the link between the Zebs and the Saints is very poor , this is the issue of having a proud club with its own identity being over run by a team that cares nothing for that and only want it for our player development ... im not sure how you can fix that

All that changed after Wednesday exit interviews.
Bassat's interview was on Wednesday after most of the exit interviews were completed.

Given we've known about Billings Dads desire for Jack to play for Essendon since the day he stsrted and Blake's WA connection do you seriously think the first time the club heard about these things was Wednesday?

And given that Lethlean had more than week ago asked if if players were looking at a move now would be the time to ask - do you reckon the club has gone into a tailspin when some one put their hand up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back