The Joke that is the West Australian Liberal Party

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got another couple who can join her

23e62c7756085e289bb2fb5a193162e9.jpg

d7e580711dac527a093bab0a95646219.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Slightly stronger material here from Baz, although the crack about "no-one electing Cook" is amusing coming from someone who's entire public legitimacy rests on a couple of thousand votes in the City of Perth's fairly byzantine polls.

Slightly stronger material here from Baz, although the crack about "no-one electing Cook" is amusing coming from someone who's entire public legitimacy rests on a couple of thousand votes in the City of Perth's fairly byzantine polls.
Shame they didn't show Baz "enjoying" himself at a recent festival in Perth

It sucks that the electorate won't punish the evangelical infiltrated libs and will be rewarded with winning some sets back.

Yes, it's just so terrible that people with a common set of beliefs are allowed to be part of the political system.

Next you'll have Marxist trade unionists in the Labor Party, or environmentalists in the Greens. The horror!

Yes, it's just so terrible that people with a common set of beliefs are allowed to be part of the political system.

Next you'll have Marxist trade unionists in the Labor Party, or environmentalists in the Greens. The horror!

It’s a bit of a false equivalence. Unionists are wanting (at least in theory) to represent workers & Greens are trying to save what’s left of the natural environment.
The Pentecostal movement in the liberal party is trying to sneak theocracy into government which is not really how democracy is supposed to work. As I understand it church & state were always meant to be separate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit of a false equivalence. Unionists are wanting (at least in theory) to represent workers & Greens are trying to save what’s left of the natural environment.
The Pentecostal movement in the liberal party is trying to sneak theocracy into government which is not really how democracy is supposed to work. As I understand it church & state were always meant to be separate.
The separation of church and state was developed by Christians to prevent the state interfering with the affairs of the church (which is why the only mention of religion in the Aus Constitution is along these lines. On the other hand, the Preamble states that the colonies are coming together "under the humble blessing of the Almighty God", so it can hardly be said that the separation of church and state was intended to remove Christianity from government.) Pentecostals were among the beneficiaries of this after their churches developed in the 18th and 19th centuries.

There may the occasional Pentecostal who desires a theocracy in the same way that there's the occasional trade unionist who wants a communist revolution. For the most part, they (like other Christians) are content to wait until the day when Jesus returns to rule and reign, and until that happens they simply want governments to do what is good for people - as people with all other kinds of beliefs do, trade unionists and environmentalists included.

I think the confusion for a lot of people who think that they're trying to make a theocracy comes from a lack of understanding about certain theological positions they hold, particularly with regards to the 'when' and 'how' of Jesus returning. So they hear a phrase here and there, and add them together and suddenly oh no! Threat to democracy! When that's not really what is going on.

Imagine the intellectual conversations between Libby Mettam and Basil.

The separation of church and state was developed by Christians to prevent the state interfering with the affairs of the church (which is why the only mention of religion in the Aus Constitution is along these lines. On the other hand, the Preamble states that the colonies are coming together "under the humble blessing of the Almighty God", so it can hardly be said that the separation of church and state was intended to remove Christianity from government.) Pentecostals were among the beneficiaries of this after their churches developed in the 18th and 19th centuries.

There may the occasional Pentecostal who desires a theocracy in the same way that there's the occasional trade unionist who wants a communist revolution. For the most part, they (like other Christians) are content to wait until the day when Jesus returns to rule and reign, and until that happens they simply want governments to do what is good for people - as people with all other kinds of beliefs do, trade unionists and environmentalists included.

I think the confusion for a lot of people who think that they're trying to make a theocracy comes from a lack of understanding about certain theological positions they hold, particularly with regards to the 'when' and 'how' of Jesus returning. So they hear a phrase here and there, and add them together and suddenly oh no! Threat to democracy! When that's not really what is going on.
Great post and thanks for the information. I've read a bit about the 7 mountains mandate and there are aspects of that that worry me.

As an example someone like Morrison obviously didn't care much about the environment as God gave man dominion over the earth and God will sort it out (climate change). A simplification but it makes my point.

Morrison also seemed to exemplify the prosperity gospel attitude that people are poor because they don't believe as he does. One of the tenets of the PG as I understand it is that the government should be discouraged from providing welfare for the poor, this should be left to the Church as it then provides more opportunity for bringing people into the fold.
I find that attitude disturbing. Certainly Morrisons actions while in power showed almost no regard for the lower socio-economic end of society.

It also concerns me that some Christian politicians might see it as more important to bring about the conditions for the rapture rather than the long term future of people and the planet.

I suppose if I'm really honest I'm not comfortable with people of what I consider superstitious beliefs making decisions that may be influenced by those beliefs rather than based in evidence, science and the common good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back