The Joke that is the West Australian Liberal Party

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got another couple who can join her

23e62c7756085e289bb2fb5a193162e9.jpg

d7e580711dac527a093bab0a95646219.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Slightly stronger material here from Baz, although the crack about "no-one electing Cook" is amusing coming from someone who's entire public legitimacy rests on a couple of thousand votes in the City of Perth's fairly byzantine polls.

Slightly stronger material here from Baz, although the crack about "no-one electing Cook" is amusing coming from someone who's entire public legitimacy rests on a couple of thousand votes in the City of Perth's fairly byzantine polls.
Shame they didn't show Baz "enjoying" himself at a recent festival in Perth

It sucks that the electorate won't punish the evangelical infiltrated libs and will be rewarded with winning some sets back.

Yes, it's just so terrible that people with a common set of beliefs are allowed to be part of the political system.

Next you'll have Marxist trade unionists in the Labor Party, or environmentalists in the Greens. The horror!

Yes, it's just so terrible that people with a common set of beliefs are allowed to be part of the political system.

Next you'll have Marxist trade unionists in the Labor Party, or environmentalists in the Greens. The horror!

It’s a bit of a false equivalence. Unionists are wanting (at least in theory) to represent workers & Greens are trying to save what’s left of the natural environment.
The Pentecostal movement in the liberal party is trying to sneak theocracy into government which is not really how democracy is supposed to work. As I understand it church & state were always meant to be separate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit of a false equivalence. Unionists are wanting (at least in theory) to represent workers & Greens are trying to save what’s left of the natural environment.
The Pentecostal movement in the liberal party is trying to sneak theocracy into government which is not really how democracy is supposed to work. As I understand it church & state were always meant to be separate.
The separation of church and state was developed by Christians to prevent the state interfering with the affairs of the church (which is why the only mention of religion in the Aus Constitution is along these lines. On the other hand, the Preamble states that the colonies are coming together "under the humble blessing of the Almighty God", so it can hardly be said that the separation of church and state was intended to remove Christianity from government.) Pentecostals were among the beneficiaries of this after their churches developed in the 18th and 19th centuries.

There may the occasional Pentecostal who desires a theocracy in the same way that there's the occasional trade unionist who wants a communist revolution. For the most part, they (like other Christians) are content to wait until the day when Jesus returns to rule and reign, and until that happens they simply want governments to do what is good for people - as people with all other kinds of beliefs do, trade unionists and environmentalists included.

I think the confusion for a lot of people who think that they're trying to make a theocracy comes from a lack of understanding about certain theological positions they hold, particularly with regards to the 'when' and 'how' of Jesus returning. So they hear a phrase here and there, and add them together and suddenly oh no! Threat to democracy! When that's not really what is going on.

Imagine the intellectual conversations between Libby Mettam and Basil.

The separation of church and state was developed by Christians to prevent the state interfering with the affairs of the church (which is why the only mention of religion in the Aus Constitution is along these lines. On the other hand, the Preamble states that the colonies are coming together "under the humble blessing of the Almighty God", so it can hardly be said that the separation of church and state was intended to remove Christianity from government.) Pentecostals were among the beneficiaries of this after their churches developed in the 18th and 19th centuries.

There may the occasional Pentecostal who desires a theocracy in the same way that there's the occasional trade unionist who wants a communist revolution. For the most part, they (like other Christians) are content to wait until the day when Jesus returns to rule and reign, and until that happens they simply want governments to do what is good for people - as people with all other kinds of beliefs do, trade unionists and environmentalists included.

I think the confusion for a lot of people who think that they're trying to make a theocracy comes from a lack of understanding about certain theological positions they hold, particularly with regards to the 'when' and 'how' of Jesus returning. So they hear a phrase here and there, and add them together and suddenly oh no! Threat to democracy! When that's not really what is going on.
Great post and thanks for the information. I've read a bit about the 7 mountains mandate and there are aspects of that that worry me.

As an example someone like Morrison obviously didn't care much about the environment as God gave man dominion over the earth and God will sort it out (climate change). A simplification but it makes my point.

Morrison also seemed to exemplify the prosperity gospel attitude that people are poor because they don't believe as he does. One of the tenets of the PG as I understand it is that the government should be discouraged from providing welfare for the poor, this should be left to the Church as it then provides more opportunity for bringing people into the fold.
I find that attitude disturbing. Certainly Morrisons actions while in power showed almost no regard for the lower socio-economic end of society.

It also concerns me that some Christian politicians might see it as more important to bring about the conditions for the rapture rather than the long term future of people and the planet.

I suppose if I'm really honest I'm not comfortable with people of what I consider superstitious beliefs making decisions that may be influenced by those beliefs rather than based in evidence, science and the common good.

Mettam's pitch to the Sky After Dark rump continues. Unsighted this week on the major issues emerging from the budget, but at the front lines in the irrelevant culture wars.

Goiran and the happy clappers still pulling the strings, despite the post-2021 review clearly identifying the indulgence of these fanatics as a major turnoff for the electorate.

Great post and thanks for the information. I've read a bit about the 7 mountains mandate and there are aspects of that that worry me.

As an example someone like Morrison obviously didn't care much about the environment as God gave man dominion over the earth and God will sort it out (climate change). A simplification but it makes my point.

Morrison also seemed to exemplify the prosperity gospel attitude that people are poor because they don't believe as he does. One of the tenets of the PG as I understand it is that the government should be discouraged from providing welfare for the poor, this should be left to the Church as it then provides more opportunity for bringing people into the fold.
I find that attitude disturbing. Certainly Morrisons actions while in power showed almost no regard for the lower socio-economic end of society.

It also concerns me that some Christian politicians might see it as more important to bring about the conditions for the rapture rather than the long term future of people and the planet.

I suppose if I'm really honest I'm not comfortable with people of what I consider superstitious beliefs making decisions that may be influenced by those beliefs rather than based in evidence, science and the common good.
The hard right have discovered the odd platitude to the deity of their choice suddenly justifies their bigotry but in America we're seeing more churches start to hit back at that with Trump particularly causing splits in previously solidly Republican congregations.

The opening of the Ellenbrook line and the re-opening of the Armadale line will do enough to ensure the ALP gets re-elected.

Despite what the partisan media here want you to think, the Cook government is largely scandal free and by all reports doing the job. Mettam and co haven't offered a credible alternative or capitalised strongly enough on missteps. Not yet anyway.

Who is this Mettam you talk about ? must be from a minor party.

As it stands, the Nationals are the voice of the opposition. Think about it, the “farmers” giving direction to blue blood Libs, grrrrrr I hear.

Seriously, after the cakewalk of the last state election, you would normally expect the pendulum to swing back, and the opposition regain some of the seats. Not too sure the swing will be much.

The Libs were widely told to give the party a big shakeup and jump start their direction. B all was done in the shakeup period, the status quo exists.

Goiran and the happy clappers still pulling the strings, despite the post-2021 review clearly identifying the indulgence of these fanatics as a major turnoff for the electorate.

Braindead take.

The Liberals went to the last election filled to the brim with small-l liberal policies that did not distinguish them in the slightest from Labor (who, under McGowan, figured out that abandoning the Labor platform almost entirely in favour of liberalism was the way to win office), and got absolutely hammered for it. Those same liberals then wanted to blame the conservatives for the nature of the defeat, even though they were the only ones pulling votes despite the policy platform not being one they favoured! Naturally, the West Australian and the ABC were happy to promote this narrative, and so we end up with posts like the above, which confidently state things that are completely wrong if only given more than a second of thought.

The party continues to be split between liberals and conservatives, and will remain that way until the party dies.

I would think the perception of McGowan's handling of COVID and picking the perfect 'enemies' in Clive Palmer and the Federal Liberal Party were far greater factors in the unprecedented landslide than any notion of drifting away from core Labor values.

Braindead take.

The Liberals went to the last election filled to the brim with small-l liberal policies that did not distinguish them in the slightest from Labor (who, under McGowan, figured out that abandoning the Labor platform almost entirely in favour of liberalism was the way to win office), and got absolutely hammered for it. Those same liberals then wanted to blame the conservatives for the nature of the defeat, even though they were the only ones pulling votes despite the policy platform not being one they favoured! Naturally, the West Australian and the ABC were happy to promote this narrative, and so we end up with posts like the above, which confidently state things that are completely wrong if only given more than a second of thought.

Seven per cent swing against in South Metro (Goiran), 13 against in North Metro (Collier). "Pulling votes" indeed.

The only reason these two survived is their upper house positions are fundamentally unloseable.

The party continues to be split between liberals and conservatives, and will remain that way until the party dies.

Just a coincidence that these ex-Christian Democratic types continue to get a rails run into the Upper House I guess. Can't wait to hear Phil Twiss' contributions to good governance!

“I for one would proudly walk to war with a rifle in one hand and my bible in the other if the just and urgent need arose. I hope it never does but I am under no illusions (as my brothers in arms are not also) that some time may arise when rough men will need to stand ready once again to do violence so that our families can sleep safe in their beds.”

“That the homosexual lobby has usurped a biblical symbol of God’s mercy (but also a reminder of his judgment) is insulting at least but utterly blasphemous"

Seven per cent swing against in South Metro (Goiran), 13 against in North Metro (Collier). "Pulling votes" indeed.

The only reason these two survived is their upper house positions are fundamentally unloseable.

I always find it interesting that people try to class Collier alongside Goiran. Maybe it's because of that massively overblown WhatsApp thing that was used as a way of jockeying for position in the party, like the other factions don't have their own equivalents, people see that those two were in it and go "aha, they must all think the same!"

They don't. Collier has always just done his own thing according to whatever he thinks is best for the party. He's not particularly ideological.

And those numbers look great for Goiran in the context of the election as a whole, so if there was an individual vote happening in the upper house (I don't think there was), it's saying the opposite of what you want it to because the average swing against the Liberals was 9%.

Just a coincidence that these ex-Christian Democratic types continue to get a rails run into the Upper House I guess. Can't wait to hear Phil Twiss' contributions to good governance!

“I for one would proudly walk to war with a rifle in one hand and my bible in the other if the just and urgent need arose. I hope it never does but I am under no illusions (as my brothers in arms are not also) that some time may arise when rough men will need to stand ready once again to do violence so that our families can sleep safe in their beds.”

“That the homosexual lobby has usurped a biblical symbol of God’s mercy (but also a reminder of his judgment) is insulting at least but utterly blasphemous"

What are you even trying to say? One Christian wins preselection, therefore the entire party is run by Christians???

I would think the perception of McGowan's handling of COVID and picking the perfect 'enemies' in Clive Palmer and the Federal Liberal Party were far greater factors in the unprecedented landslide than any notion of drifting away from core Labor values.

Which happened after the 2017 landslide in which what I mentioned caused their victory in the first place.

The point with 2021 was that because the Liberals failed to make any point of differentiation, they gave tacit approval to everything the government had done during the previous term rather than trying to figure out how to dent McGowan's popularity. The architects of this insipid strategy then blamed the people who argued against it for its failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back