The Kevin McHale Cup 17-18

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed a chance, mate. I would have sent me a pm:"Yes I do. $200 for first, $100 for second. Special one time offer "First forever", where for only $1575 I will guarantee you first place in the Kevin McHale Cup for as long as the league exists."
I can't compete with that i guess I'm resigned to 2nd/3rd forever

Damn, you guys are just too quick. Missed DJ Augustin by 14 minutes. Tony, I really hope you're in the US. Or did you really stay up until 3:30 in the morning?

Last edited:
Damn, you guys are just too quick. Missed DJ Armstrong by 14 minutes. Tony, I really hope you're in the US. Or did you really stay up until 3:30 in the morning?

Haha, no I didn't pick him up until 7:36am Melbourne time!

I really like my team this season but boy are they inconsistent! Midtable treadwater.
Will be a good battle at the top, all the way to the end me thinks...
Your PG gamble 18 months ago did not payoff hey. Admirable attempt though. On a diff note how is it that Tony Richo always finds himself in a great spot to grab the best sleeper. Freaking Unicorn Bounty!

Your PG gamble 18 months ago did not payoff hey. Admirable attempt though. On a diff note how is it that Tony Richo always finds himself in a great spot to grab the best sleeper. Freaking Unicorn Bounty!
It will be interesting to see what bids are offered next year, because unless I don't understand, the only option for keeping Kristaps is to make him your "match" player, and he probably won't be ready at the start of the season.

It will be interesting to see what bids are offered next year, because unless I don't understand, the only option for keeping Kristaps is to make him your "match" player, and he probably won't be ready at the start of the season.

Yeh if u didn't have him under contract then you'd have to let the market decide his worth. But u dropping him allows him to be picked up as a FA and that team can put a sleeper offer on him. So Tony will 100% put a sleeper contract on him valued at 1.6 million. He can then keep putting development contracts on. Tony essentially owns him for his has career almost, at least the next 5-8 years.

Yeh if u didn't have him under contract then you'd have to let the market decide his worth. But u dropping him allows him to be picked up as a FA and that team can put a sleeper offer on him. So Tony will 100% put a sleeper contract on him valued at 1.6 million. He can then keep putting development contracts on. Tony essentially owns him for his has career almost, at least the next 5-8 years.

Yeah, as you can also do with Hayward... good thing those guys are both average ballers at best ;)
My likely sleeper, Jarrett Allen, will eclipse them both...

Yeah, as you can also do with Hayward... good thing those guys are both average ballers at best ;)
My likely sleeper, Jarrett Allen, will eclipse them both...
Yah, I grabbed Hayward so I have options, he's no KP though. I had Jordan Bell pencilled in for my sleeper so I'll have to see now, dude stuffs

So a waived player reverts to the minimum? I thought they kept their value for the year. I guess I didn't understand that. I probably would have picked up a few more, like Hayward, if I'd realized that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just looked at the rule. I think it was changed a little since the last time I looked. I see Bugsy fixed that little hole I used to escape my bad team contract last year. HaHa. But I think for next year (not this year"s acquisitions), it should be changed so that waived players don't count for the cap, but they keep their salary for the year, to avoid this. There's really no skill at all involved in picking up someone who's already a star, and it's such a windfall for whoever happens to pick up the player.

I just looked at the rule. I think it was changed a little since the last time I looked. I see Bugsy fixed that little hole I used to escape my bad team contract last year. HaHa. But I think for next year (not this year"s acquisitions), it should be changed so that waived players don't count for the cap, but they keep their salary for the year, to avoid this. There's really no skill at all involved in picking up someone who's already a star, and it's such a windfall for whoever happens to pick up the player.

I have to say that only I and Deeman tried to waiver Porzingis, so if it was that easy to pick up a star, why did only two of us try to do it? I only had the 5th ranked waiver too. So there is a skill in understanding the rules of the competition you are playing in. Also Porzingis' salary is only $2.6m so I would've picked him up just the same even if your rule change was introduced.

I have to say that only I and Deeman tried to waiver Porzingis, so if it was that easy to pick up a star, why did only two of us try to do it? I only had the 5th ranked waiver too. So there is a skill in understanding the rules of the competition you are playing in. Also Porzingis' salary is only $2.6m so I would've picked him up just the same even if your rule change was introduced.
I remember that my "rule change" was actually the rule, say, two years ago, or whenever it was that I last looked at the rules. I could be wrong, but this type of rule is something I think I'd remember. As to why only two of you did it, I don't know. If I'd known of the rule, I probably would have too. But one thing I've noticed about fantasy basketball, is that the guys in the bottom half of the standings who should be looking for players often stop paying attention late in the year.
Also, his 2.6 million salary would mean that the only way you could keep him, since he's not a keeper, is to expose him to the match draft, and the bids next year of the other teams. That's a big part of the reason why I waived him. But I'm not suggesting that what's done be undone. I'm simply saying for next year, it should be changed back to what I, at least, remember it being.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because for as long as I can remember the rule hasn't changed. Bugsy would know better than either of us, but I doubt he would change any rules without consulting the rest of the league first.

Hi guys.
The rules regarding dropped players losing thier contracts has been in place since day one, but in light of a couple of high profile drops I am happy to review...
We did make a change to disallow dropping team contracts after the ASB.
Perhaps we simply use yahoos no drop list?

Hi guys.
The rules regarding dropped players losing thier contracts has been in place since day one, but in light of a couple of high profile drops I am happy to review...
We did make a change to disallow dropping team contracts after the ASB.
Perhaps we simply use yahoos no drop list?

Not a bad idea. I don't feel like this is enough of an issue to make a big change but if a rule change is made I think this works. Seems like a 1 off with Ramp misunderstanding the rule but I'm fine with using the can't drop list.

This going down to the wire, couldn't be any closer. I've been trying to peg points back in reb & assists for like the last 2 months and have had to rest some of my shooters to do it and meanwhile Tony Richo slowly sneaks up on me with 3ptm. Damn. Good battles up top year after yr, I'm due to win 1 Tony! Meanwhile Ramp & Badga got those extra games up their sleeve. Interesting finish :)

This going down to the wire, couldn't be any closer. I've been trying to peg points back in reb & assists for like the last 2 months and have had to rest some of my shooters to do it and meanwhile Tony Richo slowly sneaks up on me with 3ptm. Damn. Good battles up top year after yr, I'm due to win 1 Tony! Meanwhile Ramp & Badga got those extra games up their sleeve. Interesting finish :)

Yeah it's been another great battle Deeman. Must admit I think you might get revenge on me in both leagues this year, but I ain't giving up!!!

Yeah it's been another great battle Deeman. Must admit I think you might get revenge on me in both leagues this year, but I ain't giving up!!!
Yeh if I choke twice in a row in GJ I'll be a bit mad, haven't lost a matchup there since last year. This league my advantage is far more tenuous. Only takes a few teams grabbing points for the standings to change drastically. You and I will likely run out of games with a week to go and watch from the stands for the last week. Should be fun anyways, good luck!

Looks like Tony is going to win again. I don't know if you guys want to do anything or not. In my old league, if a guy won two years in a row we used to vote him out of the league. "Restoring competitive balance" we used to call it, or sometimes "reverse relegation."

Looks like Tony is going to win again. I don't know if you guys want to do anything or not. In my old league, if a guy won two years in a row we used to vote him out of the league. "Restoring competitive balance" we used to call it, or sometimes "reverse relegation."

Hahaha, very amusing, except I think you’ve gone way too early mate. Few teams with plenty of games in hand on me. It’ll be close but I think I might come up 1 or 2 points short!
So let’s park the reverse relegation rule for now!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back