Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

On ABC Radio National this morning Warwick Hadfield quizzed Fran Kelly (Swans) and Alison Carabine (Hawks) about why they follow the teams they do. Fran's an Adelaide girl originally and followed North Adelaide and now lives in Sydney.

Warwick asked Alison how anyone could follow a team whose guernsey looks like a dirty nappy and until the 1960's were known as the "Mayblooms".

On ABC Radio National this morning Warwick Hadfield quizzed Fran Kelly (Swans) and Alison Carabine (Hawks) about why they follow the teams they do. Fran's an Adelaide girl originally and followed North Adelaide and now lives in Sydney.

Warwick asked Alison how anyone could follow a team whose guernsey looks like a dirty nappy and until the 1960's were known as the "Mayblooms".
Because they win a lot of flags.

Because they win a lot of flags.
That is only a fairly recent phenomenon, first flag in 1961, but I'd assume that Alison is of the age where she probably grew up during the 1970's and 1980's when Hawthorn consistently won flags (8 of their 11 flags won in the period 1971 to 1991).

I was amused by the way Warwick worded the question rather than doubting that Hawthorn has a lot of bandwagoners. :)

Fran grew up in Prospect and idiolised Barrie Robran. She interviewed him on her morning show about 5 years ago.

Are Roy and HG setting up the card table this year?

Yeah on ABC Newsradio nationwide.

But it might be out of sink as digital TV is usually a couple of seconds behind analogue radio. Will have to try on the digitial radio, but it might be a second or two behind digital TV as its about 4 or 5 seconds behind analogue radio.

Yeah on ABC Newsradio nationwide.

But it might be out of sink as digital TV is usually a couple of seconds behind analogue radio. Will have to try on the digitial radio, but it might be a second or two behind digital TV as its about 4 or 5 seconds behind analogue radio.

Thanks. I found an old Festival of the Boot t-shirt from 1992 the other day - not sure if it will fit me any more ;)

Tweeted the article to the club, too! Included Subi and the AFL as well.

Mind was so fixed on Fitzroy I didn't even think of Brisbane. :oops: :$

Be great if all three clubs were involved...

Stumbled across this article about Haydn Bunton Sr. on ABC Online...

Honouring the Aussie Rules legend who rests in an unmarked Adelaide grave

Arnold has the family's approval to place a commemorative plaque recognizing the champ.

Wonder if the club would be interested in helping him out?

Just a thought...

Yes, I thought much the same when I read it. I fwd it on to Fireboy. I spent a couple days with Haydn Bunton Jnr back in the early 1980's. His much revered father played 17 games for Port in 1945 after he came out of the army.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is only a fairly recent phenomenon, first flag in 1961, but I'd assume that Alison is of the age where she probably grew up during the 1970's and 1980's when Hawthorn consistently won flags (8 of their 11 flags won in the period 1971 to 1991).

I was amused by the way Warwick worded the question rather than doubting that Hawthorn has a lot of bandwagoners. :)
There's not many left that would have experienced the pre 61 drought as anything more than children.

Fran grew up in Prospect and idiolised Barrie Robran. She interviewed him on her morning show about 5 years ago.

As she idiolised Barrie, I would've thought she would have followed his two sons, Mathew & Jonathon as both were drafted to play for the Hawks. Jonathon finished up at the Bombers whilst Mathew came back to play in 2 flags for crows.

Last edited:
As she idiolised Barrie, I would've thought she would have followed his two sons, Mathew & Jonathon as both were drafted to play for the Hawks. Jonathon finished up at the Bombers whilst Mathew came back to play in 2 flags for crows.

Why? she moved away from Adelaide around 30 years ago. The boys never played for North Adelaide. I think Barrie had a bit of a falling out with North after Nunan basically took all his photos down an said we cant refer back to the past. Anyway she wouldn't have any connections with the boys if she never saw them live.

InDaily - A Touch Of The Fumbles

..... I’d humbly suggest if the club is worried about disengaging the Oval crowds, it should pay a bit more attention to its twee, cringeworthy presentation; Port has the misty-eyed toothless hordes raising their scarves to “Never Tear Us Apart”, while we have 19th Man chant nights, Kiss-Cam and the three-quarter time “O-T-R” dance-off. (They never close, apparently). ....

Who is the author Tom Richardson? The political journo on Ch 9 news? What a facile article.

Yeah I don't see the point. Gunston was the bigger loss, and he said (sorry no reference, maybe it was off the Hawks board) something like he didn't like the person he was being encouraged to become at the Crows. Seems (genuinely) legit. Or he was allergic to cats or something.

BTW there's some amusing trolling going on in the comments. "Rymill Bonython" is an excellent username.

Yeah I don't see the point. Gunston was the bigger loss, and he said (sorry no reference, maybe it was off the Hawks board) something like he didn't like the person he was being encouraged to become at the Crows. Seems (genuinely) legit. Or he was allergic to cats or something.

BTW there's some amusing trolling going on in the comments. "Rymill Bonython" is an excellent username.

Yep and his final line "Time and time again, Aurelio Vidmar is proved correct" did cross my mind when I finished reading Richardson's dribble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back