The never ending Priddis debate - part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuey also prefers the easy ball.

I have watched him very closely over the last half of 2014 season and the start of this year after it was pointed out to me that he doesn't tend to push through packs but prefers to fall into them.

He tends also to pull the ball to him rather that putting his body behind it.

How many times have you seen him hit a pack at top speed and force himself through the other side in the mould of Fyfe, Watson and Ablett?

He does some terrific things and has loads of skill but just lacks that last bit of mental toughness to elevate himself to the next level.

As far as the tag goes, the likes of Fyfe, Watson and Ablett often shake the tag by bursting through the pack and putting the pack between them and the tagger.

While I value him as a footballer, I think he is a tease.

So Shuey is the the A grader we are missing. Priddis only has to be sacked for him to blossom.
Wrong. Good players handle a hard tag.

Shuey has talent no doubt but he lacks the mental toughness that sets the A graders apart from the rest. 2nd or 3rd string at best.

bit from column a - bit from column b

we are asking shuey to be our fyfe / gazza / jk / pendles

and hes not - hes an a grader but not a superstar - s**t id even give him an a+ ............

and hes being asked to take a tag that those sorts of players get - hes not being supported - priddis - should be blocking for him - should be getting that hard ball - dishing it off to shuey and then absorbing the tagger so shuey gets free

but he isnt - for some godfknunbeknown reason - priddis doesnt block sfa

if we had a fyfe / gazza / jk / pendles - they would cop the tag - and one of gaff or shuey would be off the leash =--=- shuey is a braun level - we keep praying for him to be a pendles and he just isnt - nothing wrong with being a braun - just sucks we dont have a cousins and a judd .....

Agree with all of this.

So, you go to great pains to tell us that shuey has a lot of problems and is not an a grader. He lacks the mental toughness, can't handle the hard tag as good players do, prefers the easy ball and can't hit a pack and force himself through like Fyfe, Pendlebury and ablett and you think he is a tease BUT...

But you agree his is an "a" grader and even an "a+" as Kranky said. And that he is like Braun. Well * me gently but Braun wasn't any of the things you said about Shuey.

And you say I say stupid s**t.

Sam Mitchell's nickname used to be "The Extractor". It takes years of recruiting to play like Hawthorn do right now. Most teams just aren't that accurate by foot. If Hawthorn had our foot skills and tried to play like Hawthorn, they'd probably get spanked :)
MASSIVE difference between Priddis and Mitchell is ball use. Mitchell is better by hand and foot by a margin that is immeasurable. Priddis just needs to gtfo.

I wish we could get the Stat "clearances to advantage". An advantage at stoppages being a disposal to a teammate in space, massive meters gained, forward 50 entry or a goal or goal assist. Priddis wouldn't rate in the top 100 and Mitchell would probably rate in the top 5.

I think some of our midfielders are directed to sit out of contests at times and instead let Priddis go in.
if so they are following instructions faultlessly
Also if so, it is impressive how they extend this instruction to avoid strong effective tackling, spoiling and chasing. The master stroke must be the way they hold back on aggressive attacking play.

Last edited:
if so they are following instructions faultlessly
Also if so, it is impressive how they extend this instruction to avoid strong effective tackling, spoiling and chasing. The master stroke must be the way they hold back on aggressive attacking play.
Yeah cos they are instructed to let Priddis do all that by their midfield leader Priddis.

I wish we could get the Stat "clearances to advantage". An advantage at stoppages being a disposal to a teammate in space, massive meters gained, forward 50 entry or a goal or goal assist. Priddis wouldn't rate in the top 100 and Mitchell would probably rate in the top 5.
I am 100% sure that Priddis would be in the top 100 for such a stat.

I was possibly drunk but I seem to recall Pridda running down the wing after a loose ball today...1st Qtr? I don't know if I have ever seen him run that fast!
Thought was his best game of the year so far. Muffed a couple of kicks but his handball was clean and effective.
Needs to back it up next week.

Thought was his best game of the year so far. Muffed a couple of kicks but his handball was clean and effective.

Saw him chase a guy down and tackle him - like as in he came from behind and ran him down - i was rubbing my eyes and s**t

Whos that wearing priddis' disco wig

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You watched that game from the reigning Brownlow medallist and saw "clean and effective handball"?

It's the first time in some time that a commentator finally called him out for both poor decision making and poor execution of handballs ... add to that 2 or 3 completely laughable kicks (from what, 8 attempts?) and he was again a mediocre bulk possession mid ...

We do set the bar very low for Matt

You watched that game from the reigning Brownlow medallist and saw "clean and effective handball"?

It's the first time in some time that a commentator finally called him out for both poor decision making and poor execution of handballs ... add to that 2 or 3 completely laughable kicks (from what, 8 attempts?) and he was again a mediocre bulk possession mid ...

Ahh I did like Johnson saying "but that is uncharacteristic from him...you wont see that again".
Made me laugh.

Then I hear Gerard Healy saying that because Sheed kicked blindly to nobody he "needs to have a spell in the 2nds to get that out of his game". Priddis wouldnt have managed more than 1 senior game if that was the case.

Don't we usually set the bar low for Brownlow medalists?

Ahh I did like Johnson saying "but that is uncharacteristic from him...you wont see that again".
Made me laugh.

Then I hear Gerard Healy saying that because Sheed kicked blindly to nobody he "needs to have a spell in the 2nds to get that out of his game". Priddis wouldnt have managed more than 1 senior game if that was the case.

Yes, and Johnson's comment was in response to Gerards query as to why Matt wouldn't take the game on with everything in his favor but instead executed an average handball slightly backwards and created pressure on his teammates.

But for reasons best known to others he routinely gets a free pass....

He espoused Thompsons ability in the most recent article in fact. He's also talked about how the contested possession stat is diluted by things that basically Priddis doesn't do, which is why he prefers the ground ball get stat. Basically what he describes the stat as (the ability to win the contested ball on the ground), is what Priddis excels at.

It remains to be seen whether Walsh is a good coach or not, but he's certainly off to a decent start.

Only saw a bit of it today and it would appear that Thompson's awesome contested game had no impact against the fast running Bulldogs.
He had 21 contested possies, 11 clearances and none of the Bulldogs players had close to that. They had 1 less contested possession as a team, 9 more clearances...yet lost by 57.

Maybe Walsh needs to look at that ground ball stat as I am sure that with only 1 less contested possession as a team the ground ball stat wouldn't have been out by 57 points worth. Unless there is a factor that is more important than that stat ;)

I was possibly drunk but I seem to recall Pridda running down the wing after a loose ball today...1st Qtr? I don't know if I have ever seen him run that fast!
I mentioned that to a mate today when watching the game. Thought it couldn't possibly be him but it was. Must have got a shot of adrenaline.

So priddis had a pretty damn good game yesterday ! Won heaps if ball , clean hands which he used to give our more dangerous mids space to use it and his kicking was pretty good except 1 duffed kick .
Now before you go on about Brisbane being crap , they have a pretty good midfield and as a midfield unit we smashed them with priddis a part of that unit .
Also did my eyes deceive me a blistering run ( for priddis anyway) down the wing to swoop on a loose ball and a run down tackle .

So priddis had a pretty damn good game yesterday ! Won heaps if ball , clean hands which he used to give our more dangerous mids space to use it and his kicking was pretty good except 1 duffed kick .
Now before you go on about Brisbane being crap , they have a pretty good midfield and as a midfield unit we smashed them with priddis a part of that unit .
Also did my eyes deceive me a blistering run ( for priddis anyway) down the wing to swoop on a loose ball and a run down tackle .

im not going to begrudge you - he did some good things today - and i can agree with a lot of what you say

it would be nice if you didnt hide for a week or two when he has a shocker and just avoid this thread till the next time he isnt terrible

that yeo to duggan to kennedy goal is what a midfield should look like - hasnt looked like in years - and can never really look like till prids is pushed out -

sit him on a forward flank for the rest of the year and use him in the middle when guys are on the bench knackered at the end of quarters when his pace isnt so exposed and we might have a solution

Only saw a bit of it today and it would appear that Thompson's awesome contested game had no impact against the fast running Bulldogs.
He had 21 contested possies, 11 clearances and none of the Bulldogs players had close to that. They had 1 less contested possession as a team, 9 more clearances...yet lost by 57.

Maybe Walsh needs to look at that ground ball stat as I am sure that with only 1 less contested possession as a team the ground ball stat wouldn't have been out by 57 points worth. Unless there is a factor that is more important than that stat ;)

I'd like to personally thank Phil Walsh for totally hosing my argument so quickly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back