handball behind pressure 0
handball behind no pressure 1
handball direct to stationary player pressure 5
handball direct to stationary player no pressure 3
handball to running player advantage pressure 6
handball to running player advantage no pressure 1
handball to no-one in particular pressure 3
handball to no-one in particular no pressure 0

Actually probably needed more categories. Pressure meant 1, 2 or 3 guys hanging off Matt when he handballed. He's listed as 25 handballs and I've only counted 24. I think the one I missed was a nothing disposal where he was being tackled to the ground and the handball immediately hit a boot.

Many of the handballs to stationary targets were either in very heavy congestion or long range handballs. At least one of the handballs to feet was caught on the full just below the knees by Gaff (classification is hard work).

So about a third of his handballs were really good, about a third were ok, and about a third were not particularly effective. Pretty useful contribution really, especially under that much pressure.

see i look at pendles, fyfe, shuey, yeo - and they can have blokes hanging off them and still get effective handballs out regularly - kerr was a master of it. the fact that he cant kick as well means that naitanui tap to priddis is so overdone and his next move so predictable that hes always going to have guys hanging off him - as he cant burst through with pace like yeo and shuey can.

so pissed off yeo isnt up tomorrow - this is a real make or break game for our season and our confidence - come the end of the year it could be the game that costs us a second chance - i dont see us challenging for a flag this year - but it would be nice to get two or 3 finals into the young guys. if we go back to the tap it to priddis ruck plan we wont get far imho

see i look at pendles, fyfe, shuey, yeo - and they can have blokes hanging off them and still get effective handballs out regularly - kerr was a master of it. the fact that he cant kick as well means that naitanui tap to priddis is so overdone and his next move so predictable that hes always going to have guys hanging off him - as he cant burst through with pace like yeo and shuey can.

so pissed off yeo isnt up tomorrow - this is a real make or break game for our season and our confidence - come the end of the year it could be the game that costs us a second chance - i dont see us challenging for a flag this year - but it would be nice to get two or 3 finals into the young guys. if we go back to the tap it to priddis ruck plan we wont get far imho

You don't look at them though, at least not in any sort of detail. They all have their share of scrub handballs. Also you fail to define what you mean by regularly. Priddis easily got effective handballs out regularly (as I define it) with guys hanging off him. Many of the ones to stationary targets were much more advantageous than the name of the stat suggests.

I am however also pissed Yeo is missing, but the cats are missing Bartel and Duncan so it evens out a bit in the middle. Excellent chance to see if the team structures are the main cause for our improvement. Structures aren't reliant on one player doing all the work (and I think we both agree that Priddis doing all the work wasn't going to win us anything).

Yes. I think Matt does them better than anyone on our list not already playing, and better than several guys that are already playing.

I disagree. Okay, do you think the 'gap' he has above the rest is large enough to outweigh his limitations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only time geelong looked like they had a chance was on the rebound through the middle past the curlie headed traffic cone

the only time geelong looked like they had a chance was on the rebound through the middle past the curlie headed traffic cone
And three other mids, plus all the flanks, but don't let that get in the way of this rip roaring thread. Priddis was ok today, did some excellent things in close and a few crappy kicks, was barely worth mentioning other than to point out how well we go when we play to people's strengths.

And three other mids, plus all the flanks, but don't let that get in the way of this rip roaring thread. Priddis was ok today, did some excellent things in close and a few crappy kicks, was barely worth mentioning other than to point out how well we go when we play to people's strengths.

peoples strengths?? like actually chasing through the middle of the ground you mean?

The hunger and break neck chasing on the defensive rebound from midfielders from defense and players in the WCE forward press is winning us games.
I can't accept a player who (can't) contributes nothing to this effort.

First half of the video is Priddis' failure to be part of it. 2nd Half shows you what happens if you have players who are!

(youtube annotations are not showing... hmmm )[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Mcinnes hasn't done anything in 5 matches, Sinclair makes his fair share of errors, cripps had a down game, why aren't there threads on their errors...

peoples strengths?? like actually chasing through the middle of the ground you mean?

The hunger and break neck chasing on the defensive rebound from midfielders from defense and players in the WCE forward press is winning us games.
I can't accept a player who (can't) contributes nothing to this effort.

First half of the video is Priddis' failure to be part of it. 2nd Half shows you what happens if you have players who are!

Give it up Domo.

We belted a creditable opposition today and had 40 shots on goal.

Our midfield is playing to instruction and continues to gain respect.

So how about enjoying it and refrain from continually whinging about a player that has found his niche under the Simpson plan.

Give it up Domo.

We belted a creditable opposition today and had 40 shots on goal.

Our midfield is playing to instruction and continues to gain respect.

So how about enjoying it and refrain from continually whinging about a player that has found his niche under the Simpson plan.
That makes the assumption that people in here support the Eagles and not their own profile. Only reason they tear down Priddis at every opportunity, even when he's just been a solid contributer and nobody else is talking about him for praise or otherwise, is so they can point to their previous posts and go "See!"

That makes the assumption that people in here support the Eagles and not their own profile. Only reason they tear down Priddis at every opportunity, even when he's just been a solid contributer and nobody else is talking about him for praise or otherwise, is so they can point to their previous posts and go "See!"

no. I "tear down priddis" because one of the most simple improvements we can make is to replace him with one of our other mids.
It was a big test today for us and we stood up! I'm the first one to be super happy bout it. And it was largely because our blokes run, hassle and chase like mad men. Shuey, Crips, JK.. its a long list. I'm loving it. Its such a lock down game these days its so important to choke down any breaks from the forward press.. and likewise to make your own escapes out of them. This gives us all those extra opportunities where yes we had 40 shots on goal missed a s**t load and still won.

no. I "tear down priddis" because one of the most simple improvements we can make is to replace him with one of our other mids.
It was a big test today for us and we stood up! I'm the first one to be super happy bout it. And it was largely because our blokes run, hassle and chase like mad men. Shuey, Crips, JK.. its a long list. I'm loving it. Its such a lock down game these days its so important to choke down any breaks from the forward press.. and likewise to make your own escapes out of them. This gives us all those extra opportunities where yes we had 40 shots on goal missed a s**t load and still won.

You're starting to sound more like Dom Quixote. Constantly tilting at an imaginary problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back