The off topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are Essendon due to get these bans? Good to see them show even more blatant disregard for the rules with the practice game out in Tulla. Grade A flog Hird tried to cover it up as training by getting players to run laps. Would rather him get the bans than the players! Hasn't painted himself in good light at all throughout this

When are Essendon due to get these bans? Good to see them show even more blatant disregard for the rules with the practice game out in Tulla. Grade A flog Hird tried to cover it up as training by getting players to run laps. Would rather him get the bans than the players! Hasn't painted himself in good light at all throughout this
The players to a degree I feel a bit sorry for, they were the pawns and lab rats in this ordeal.

Hird however, how he has a job and how many dons fans continue to defend him staunchly, absolutely astounds me.

Well this was a fun page to read.
I have no ill feelings towards fans or players, and I wasn't a flog fan who booed the bombers when my club played them in 2013. Just flabbergasted that virtually everyone has resigned or been sacked in the footy dept or board yet Jimmy Tird remains.

Not to mention the strain it placed on a caretaker coach who I've grown to love and respect, then see him, a bombers premiership captain then get shafted for the golden boy. Saddens me as a footy fan tbh

Okay I really shouldn't comment because this road doesn't have an end and I'm not going to change anyone's mind but I want to give another perspective to this.

Hird is still there for a few reasons. First, no suspensions have been handed out. Second, he's served his time for the governance debacle that occurred. Third, our form under him was pretty good. And finally, the players want to play for him. All the talk of an exodus but last year we had a player (Howlett) who refused to re-sign his contract until he knew Hird would return. I suspect a similar situation occurred with Winderlich.

You listen to the interviews from Gwilt, Giles and Cooney on joining Essendon and they all bring up how influential talking to Hird was for them making the decision to join Essendon (especially in the case of Giles and Cooney who had multiple options).

He's still there because he's still wanted. I'm pissed that we're in this situation and it's been a pretty awful two years but until suspensions are (if at all) handed out, I haven't got an issue with Hird staying as coach and I don't really get why supporters of other clubs care so much that I and many other Essendon supporters feel that way. It's our club.

If suspensions are handed out then yeah, we've gotta sack him because that's not acceptable and I actually suspect the decision would be made for the club anyway.

On Bomber I do feel like he was treated maybe a little roughly at the end of the year but he knew what the situation was. The plan was from the start for him to vacate at the end of 2014 for Hird to return. He was offered a position at the club and he didn't respond to the offer. The club weren't able to get in contact with him at all to discuss a position for 2015 and beyond so suffice to say they gave up. I love Bomber, I think he's great and I think he made a decision that had been screaming out for a long time in moving Hurley to defence, a decision that it seems Hird is going to continue with.

There were also some people who thought that we should have just given Bomber a spot on the coaching panel even if it wasn't as head coach, but how would that have been fair on any of the coaching staff who got turfed for him?

Anyway. Just a bit of perspective. At the end of the day I'm always going to support Essendon no matter who is or isn't there and short of the club folding I don't see that changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old saying where there's smoke there's usually fire is the feel I get with this supplements saga. If nothing wrong went on why is it still going on? Why has Hird's court action failed? Why are there infraction notices? Could have been a lot less messy if Essendon didn't get so defensive and was open and honest about things and took the whack that they deserve (assuming something has happened).

If after all this crap they get off they will take ASADA & the AFL to the cleaners but I just can't see how this whole peptide scandal just comes about if something a bit dodgy hasn't gone on!

Why it's still going on: It took ASADA 16 months to present show cause notices. Then we appealed. We failed. Then infraction notices and now we wait until the anti-doping committee make their judgement.

We've taken a whack already for poor governance and ASADA stated that the club were fully compliant with the investigation and everything that occurred.

Clearly Essendon don't believe anything wrong was done which is why they would have been "so defensive" rather than "taking the whack they deserve" which in their view is nothing, barring I suppose the sanctions we copped at the end of 2013.

No itemised records of the drug, dosage and frequency of injections = guilty IMO. Might not be fair on the players but every athlete knows their responsibilities. And I'm guessing they were under a lot less pressure than the Chinese swimmers/East German weightlifters etc.

Anyway, onto more important topics. Any gardeners here? As I've seen the first sun of 2015 I've decided to mow the lawn. Last year I cleared an area around the shed and laid some grass. But mowing the lawn it's bumpy as anything. Do I flatten it with a roller? Or fill it with dirt and wait for the grass to grow over it? It's really noticeable when you compare that area of land with the established part of the garden.

No itemised records of the drug, dosage and frequency of injections = guilty IMO.
This is what we've already been hit for. If this is the sort of thing ASADA are relying on as evidence, I would be stunned.

You'd hope not but if it was incredibly obvious this would've been over a long time ago.

I need to stop because this is going exactly where I expected. Me having my opinion, others having theirs and neither side giving much if any leeway to the other.

You have 5 weeks to watch 40 episodes. Get on it.
Ducking for cover again. Never really seemed like something that'd interest me...

Btw would you begrudge any bombers fan who stopped supporting the club because of this? I ask as I know someone who gave up on the EFC and started to support Freo instead.

That high was his disgust at the conduct alleged.

Btw would you begrudge any bombers fan who stopped supporting the club because of this? I ask as I know someone who gave up on the EFC and started to support Freo instead.
Can't see how supporters do that. You support the jumper not the coach, player, board etc.

That said I suppose it would depend how seriously they were supporters beforehand. If they were only sort of casual fans then maybe I can understand it more. But if it's someone who has supported the club for multiple years and has been a bit of a die hard fan, then that grinds my gears a bit more.

Yes. The club is bigger than any individual, in my view anyway.
Can't see how supporters do that. You support the jumper not the coach, player, board etc.
Funnily enough I said the same thing. Then again jd you've sort of had something similar and I wouldn't say many blues fans jumped ship, even after a decade of being rather ordinary as a result.

I'm just more baffled as to why someone who lives in coastal Victoria would pick Fremantle of all clubs:confused:....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back