The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nothing like the current work visa system.
You have to pass into a certain Tier. Tier 1 the mega-rich. Tier 2 the highly skilled. Tier 4 students. Tier 5 temp workers.

A footballer would fit into Tier 2 which requires sponsorship which requires the employer to prove that the person can do the job in a way someone from the UK cannot. A League One player should not be able to pass this IMO as they are not of the level to do a job an English person cannot, the sheer volume of locals in this division proves that

How do you know a local could do the same job without assessing things other than nationality.

And if you are a regular from Equitorial Guinea you can sign for who you like regardless of your ability.

How do you know a local could do the same job without assessing things other than nationality.
The fact that League One is made up of probably over 80% of players from the UK that is how.

Yes you might be better at the job than them. But that's not what the home office looks at. Trust me I've got a house mate who works in Visa Law who has tried to help out quite a few people I know in this. If it's in a job of a level they deem enough people from the UK are skilled enough to cope in they will not grant you sponsorship

The fact that League One is made up of probably over 80% of players from the UK that is how.

Yes you might be better at the job than them. But that's not what the home office looks at. Trust me I've got a house mate who works in Visa Law who has tried to help out quite a few people I know in this. If it's in a job of a level they deem enough people from the UK are skilled enough to cope in they will not grant you sponsorship
But if you play the required number of games for a top 50 nation like Equitorial Guinea you can sign for who you like.

As I said, nothing like the current visa system where each applicant is assessed on their merits, not the merits of their home country.

Premier League clean sheets:

David James - 169
Petr Cech - 162
Mark Schwarzer - 151
David Seaman - 140
Nigel Martyn - 137
Jose Reina - 134
Edwin Van der Sar - 132
Brad Friedel - 132
Peter Schmeichel - 128
Tim Howard - 122
Shay Given - 112
Jussi Jaaskelainen - 108
Thomas Sorenson - 107
Joe Hart - 100

And this years Golden Glove:

Fraser Forster - 13
Ben Foster - 11
Simon Mignolet - 11
Lucasz Fabianski - 11
Joe Hart - 10
David De Gea - 10

It sucks a little big Pete won't get to break James' record.

Last edited:
Why? Because he was born in Burkino Faso? Are they not allowed good footballers?

I have no idea who you're referring to, but surely it should be about his quality and what he has to offer rather than his passport.

George Weah was a librarian.

Also a pretty decent footballer when not in the Library so I've heard ;)

(Liberian)

Hee hee, just my little gag.

He came to City and a few games in he made a few comments about what we should be doing in the second half. Joe Royle told him to sit down and shut the * up.

And then he left.

But he did get a work permit. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players that would have failed in the past window.
1. Enner Valencia (West Ham)
2. Christian Gamboa (WBA)
3. Abel Hernandez (Hull)

Mixed start. 3 in 5 at the start of the season but only recently scored his 4th. Still, has as many goals from as many starts as Suarez did when he first came over.

Jatz, chef, NUFC Tiger is it too early for a transfer rumors thread?

What are your thoughts on this NUFC? From memory when we signed him he said he dreamed of playing for Newcastle.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/newcastle-want-to-sign-hull-city-s-hernandez-in-the-summer

Think a transfer thread is a good idea actually SM! With most leagues approaching their final stages, there's a lot of speculation flying around about which players will be on the move in the summer/what teams need to bring in to improve etc. Would be good to have a central spot to discuss it.

On Hernandez, I'd definitely be keen to take him purely because we are very light on strikers. The fact he mentioned us as his "dream" club (next to Real and Atletico Madrid) is an added bonus given he sounds passionate about the club (I still suspect he has us and Juve confused though!) :D

He started off well for your boys didn't he? (maybe scoring on debut?) Haven't really heard much about him recently though - has he been injured/not played?

What would Hull be wanting do you think in terms of a figure? Is he even someone Bruce would want to sell given he's only been at the club a season?

Think a transfer thread is a good idea actually SM! With most leagues approaching their final stages, there's a lot of speculation flying around about which players will be on the move in the summer/what teams need to bring in to improve etc. Would be good to have a central spot to discuss it.

On Hernandez, I'd definitely be keen to take him purely because we are very light on strikers. The fact he mentioned us as his "dream" club (next to Real and Atletico Madrid) is an added bonus given he sounds passionate about the club (I still suspect he has us and Juve confused though!) :D

He started off well for your boys didn't he? (maybe scoring on debut?) Haven't really heard much about him recently though - has he been injured/not played?

What would Hull be wanting do you think in terms of a figure? Is he even someone Bruce would want to sell given he's only been at the club a season?

He scored 3 in his first 5 including one on debut (also hit the post with a nice trap and turn, so could have been even better). He scored on the weekend against Chelsea, and has had very decent chances against Leicester and Chelsea that he missed. Has been injured, and hasn't started a game since January, so has 4 in 13 starts - the same number as Suarez in his debut season for Liverpool. How he plays in the next 8 games will determine what we do with him I think.

We spent 10m on him so I think we'd be reluctant to sell for less than 5-6m, and I'm not sure whether he commands that sort of price at the moment so we may be likely to keep hold of him. But if you do a Soton and offer us silly money - say, 8m - we'd bite your hand off.

Alright, if transfers are going on in another topic... I just wanted to ask: After that 2-2 draw against Germany, anyone got their eyes on any International Matches?

The matches I've got my eye on the most (aside from Macedonia game) are:
England v Lithuania (C'Mon Stankevicius!)
San Marino v Lichtenstein (Now this will be epic. Hoping for some Rinaldi and Selva magic)

I will also keep an eye on the other San Marino game, and the two Algeria, St Kitts and Nevis, and Belgium games.

Last edited:
Premier League clean sheets:

David James - 169
Petr Cech - 162
Mark Schwarzer - 151
David Seaman - 140
Nigel Martyn - 137
Jose Reina - 134
Edwin Van der Sar - 132
Brad Friedel - 132
Peter Schmeichel - 128
Tim Howard - 122
Shay Given - 112
Jussi Jaaskelainen - 108
Thomas Sorenson - 107
Joe Hart - 100

And this years Golden Glove:

Fraser Forster - 13
Ben Foster - 11
Simon Mignolet - 11
Lucasz Fabianski - 11
Joe Hart - 10
David De Gea - 10

Great stuff by Forster! Toon lad doing good - a product of our academy while we're on the subject. :)

He's got 1 year left on his contract at the end of the season, 33 years old and wanting to leave. If a club can't negotiate a low transfer fee under those circumstances they are idiots.

I guess cause £10m will still be a bargain for a player of Cechs ability and he'll have a heap of suitors willing to pay that price. 32 isn't that 'old' for a keeper.

I guess cause £10m will still be a bargain for a player of Cechs ability and he'll have a heap of suitors willing to pay that price. 32 isn't that 'old' for a keeper.
IIRC, United bought VDS at 33 and he proved to be a bargain, retiring at 40 years old and still playing at a good level.

10m for Cech is good business. Demand for his services will be strong so no need to sell cheaper than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back