Podcast The Road to a Premiership Pt. 2 - BF Port PC Ep. 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca19, FishingRick04 & Portia discuss what we need to do to get our current squad up to a premiership winning level. We detail our current squad and compare it to 5 multiple-premiership winning dynasties of the modern era and see how we match up against them and what improvements need to be made. In Part 2, we concentrate on our midfield & rucks, discuss free agent targets, our 2014 draft strategy and conclude when our premiership window will be.

Subscribe to us on iTunes

Direct Link

The BF Port Podcast is sponsored by Nieuvision

Previous Episodes

Its unnerving to hear just how `Rainman' I get when I'm talking about football.

I think of Hartlett as an inside mid, thought it was strange hearing you talk about him as an outsider.

I think he had an inside mid's instincts as a kid, but the shoulder injuries have put paid to that.

Not sure if I have taken this out of context and somebody had to be the worst of the dynasty sides you looked at, but this North only did so well for 7 consecutive PF (94-00) because Carey was such a superstar is a myth.

Longmire had kicked almost 500 goals in 155 games when he did his knee in the 1995 PF.
McKernan won the AFLPA's MVP in 1996 and should have shared the brownlow
Archer was an all australian in 1996 as well 1998-02
King became a dual all auatralian 1997-98
Anthony Stevens all australian 1998
Adam Simpson all australian 2002
Wayne Schwass won B&F's in 1994 and 1995 and left after a spate with Pagan became all Oz at Sydney
Peter Bell became a dual all australian 1999-03
Brent Harvey was his first year in the squad ended up a 4 time all Oz
Mick Martyn played state footy - he wasn't a star but did his job on the greatest bunch of FF that have played the game at once, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Summich, Modra, all kicked 100 goals in the mid 90's.
Pickett arrived at the end of 1996

Sure they had heaps of good solid footballers but apart from Brisbane and Geelong most dynasty have a dozen of those sorts of players

Scholl, Allison, Blakey, Fairley, Scott, Laidely, Capuano, Roberts, Rock, Crocker, and then McCartney, Grant, Abraham, Pike, Mooney etc. Most of those played state of origin footy.

Hartlett classified as an outside mid doesn't mean I consider him running around along the boundary Lonie style. He clearly has inside attributes, plays there at times and does it well, but hes more of an outside/inside mid than the other way around.

9bhkb9.jpg

The bit about trades was the first time I've found myself aggressively yelling at the Port Board podcast like it was 5AA.

If it's a player for player swap that fills a need then maybe worth considering, but why would we trade away decent/good young players who want to stay for magic beans? Even putting aside the potential intangible negative effect on the culture that Rick rightly brought up, we're not a ****ing feeder club. All the talk on this podcast was about when our age and experience profile will be in the right spot for our premiership window to open up. If we went down the path of actively trading away decent young players for draft picks, then we'll perpetually be 2 or 3 years away from reaching that point (and we'll be bringing our rival clubs closer to reaching that point in the process).

What's the end game? Moore/Pittard/Young etc are all AFL quality but none are superstars. So let's say we trade one or two of them for pick(s) in the 20's. Then in the statistically very likely event that the guy we recruit with that pick also doesn't turn into a superstar, do we just trade him for a pick in the 20's in 3-4 years time and miss out on the peak years of all of these players?

Schulzenfest - this discussion was specifically in the context of seeking a high draft pick to shore up our KPF issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have to re-listen but im not sure any of us suggested trading players for picks in the 20s. Trading Moore for pick 25 would be a massive loss and completely pointless. You don't win flags that way.

Pretty sure we were talking about player/player trades or value adding to get a high first round pick.

So who are you guys expecting to give us an upgrade to a top 10 pick for the likes of Moore/Young/Pittard then? :confused:
I would expect our first + player for an upgrade to top 5.

If any of those types played well enough to merit that sort of upgrade, then they'd probably also be playing well enough that it wouldn't be worth trading them.
How would you suggest solving our KPF hole then, with the Neil Craig "OMG DONT TRADE PLAYERS" strategy.

I'm am going to use Moore as an example here.

My logic goes we have a glaring massive gap in our squad. If Moore has a break out year couple with his pick 9 original status lets assume it could unlock pick 4 or 5. With the undeniable tall talent in this years draft if that pick could open a Tall Forward with confidence of being a 10 year player I'll roll the dice with that risk with the associated costs that go with it.

As Portia said drafting probably isn't the solution unless Butcher or Shaw come on leaps and bounds this season.

The way I see it is the only way to get a ready to go KPF at the moment is to trade with an expansion club or via free agency. Don't think we've got any chance with Ben Reid and none of the other free agents really tickle my fancy. Given GWS only draft Victorians that seems unlikely too. Which only leaves Gold Coast. Luckily both Sam Day and Steven May are out of contract at the end of 2014.

May's an NT boy. Slightly undersized he'd be more of a stop gap, workman like addition. Probably could get him for a 2nd round pick.

Day's from SA and was pick 3 in 2010. He's a great size, 196cm 96kg and has already played 42 games, without establishing himself. Depending on where the Crows finish and how much Day comes on he'll probably be worth around our first pick. He'd have to be our #1 trade target next year.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if BF was this popular in 99 when we traded a highly talented, 20yo midfielder for a bog standard flanker and a quasi-key defender who couldnt get a game with Melbourne.

I am pro-trade. Not every trade can turn out a huge win with minimal outlay like the Schulz trade.

As Portia said drafting probably isn't the solution unless Butcher or Shaw come on leaps and bounds this season.

The way I see it is the only way to get a ready to go KPF at the moment is to trade with an expansion club or via free agency. Don't think we've got any chance with Ben Reid and none of the other free agents really tickle my fancy. Given GWS only draft Victorians that seems unlikely too. Which only leaves Gold Coast. Luckily both Sam Day and Steven May are out of contract at the end of 2014.

May's an NT boy. Slightly undersized he'd be more of a stop gap, workman like addition. Probably could get him for a 2nd round pick.

Day's from SA and was pick 3 in 2010. He's a great size, 196cm 96kg and has already played 42 games, without establishing himself. Depending on where the Crows finish and how much day comes on he'll probably be worth around our first pick. He'd have to be our #1 trade target next year.

I want us to get in Lewis Johnston's ear. He's more proven at AFL level than May or Day (hasn't played as many games but his best has been much better), he justifiably didn't seem happy with the Crows when a 32 year old Geelong delistee was offered a 2 year contract whereas he was only offered 1 year, and he'd walk into our best 22 whereas he'd struggle to make the Crows side if 3 or more of Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and Podsiadly are fit. If he was going to seek a trade, Port would probably be the best club for him, since a) he wouldn't have to relocate and b) judging by Twitter he's good mates with Polec.

He'd also give us a different type of KPF to what we already have. Butcher, Shaw and Harvey all seem to be better utilised in contested marking stay-at-home full forward roles from what I've seen, whereas Johnston is more of an athletic lead up type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back