Universal Love The thread for people who think we will win the 2015 flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really interested in an age analysis of the list. But can't be bothered enough to do it myself. Because I think we're not much older than Port. Take out Goodes, Shaw and Richards and I think our profile is just as optimistic.
3 players that are hard to replace, a lot of experience as well. Not counting them is just as bad as not counting the experienced players in the port team.

I'm really interested in an age analysis of the list. But can't be bothered enough to do it myself. Because I think we're not much older than Port. Take out Goodes, Shaw and Richards and I think our profile is just as optimistic.

but take them out of the side and tell me who you are picking to play?

Xavier Richards , god help us. The silly season is on

Nice. Constructive post. Brother of a club champion, 2 year extension and I'm talking bullshit suggesting he has a role and can become a key backman. I've seen him play and he has all the tools. Club thinks similar.

How exactly do you see our list management and it's outlook. Please I'm all ears. Enlighten me with non-silly season hysteria.

We need to be careful with how many youngsters we introduce. Problem with a lot of younger players is they cop a bit of stage fright in bigger games. Good team and good players will take them to the cleaners.

We're a little bit screwed down back. AJ is still injured, Richards is getting older and losing it, and Shaw is well, he probably should have retired. Comments about reinventing the backline aren't far off the mark. Losing Malceski and Shaw being on the down means we're going to lose a lot of our rebounding defence. This is probably going to be Richards last season if he's last 2 years have been anything to go by. Losing LRT and Mattner in the last 2 years, as well as AJ being permanently crocked has had a massive impact.

I don't know if we can win the GF, but we're certainly capable of making it there. I think we'll see a more defensive team out there next season to help the defense transition from the old to the new. What I'd like to see:

Richards - Grundy - Smith
Rampe - Reid - Shaw/Laidler/Rohan

We should transition away from Richards and Shaw by the end of this season if AJ can come good, so that 2016 looks like:
AJ - Grundy - Smith
Rampe - Reid - Rohan/Laidler

I don't think it's as good as the 2012 defence, but it will be a different defence. Reid and Rohan will be our weak links because of an obvious experience gap. If Sam's brother can be a good CHB, then he can do the same.

AJ - Grundy - Mattner
Malceski - Richards - Shaw + Smith since Malceski was starting on the wing.

Who knows. 2015 is a year in transition and 2016 will be as well. We'll do well to make the GF in the next two years, but I still think we're good enough to get there and win it.

We were definitely too tall going into the finals and I think we were lucky that we didn't get opened up by Fremantle because of it. What I'd like to see as our lineup next season:

B: Richards, Grundy, Smith
HB: Rampe, Reid, Laidler
C: Rohan, Hannebery, McVeigh
HF: Parker, Franklin, Jetta
F: McGlynn, Tippet, Goodes
R: Pyke, Jack, Kennedy
B: Cunningham, Mitchell, Lloyd, Bird (s)

We're still too heavy in the midfield and too short (stature wise) as well. We got cut up by the bigger, harder, Hawthorn midfield. I think if we shift Rohan out of defence and start Laidler, and play Rohan as the 7th defender/winger, we'll be fine. Or play him as Issac Smith from Hawthorn, a ball carrier and goal kicker.

But it won't happen because we're going to start Shaw, and he's going to run and run and kick it like a school boy, and make mistake after mistake.

If any of the youngsters are good enough to break their way into the team, good on them.

Last edited:
We're still good enough to win next year.
Margin between us and Hawthorn is not great.
Also, no question Mal was a great player for us for years - but he was also guilty on many occasions of horrible kickouts and decisions in 2014, so this is not an allout loss.

It's in the middle that counts.
Does Pyke need support? Do we need to be cleaner around the ruck?
How do we make best use of Buddy and Tippett?
I think we need to have more patience with the ball - allow Tippo and Buddy to lead rather than just bomb to them.

can we do this?
Absolutely - plus we have more talented young guys to add to an already powerful team.

All upside for me - plus the sting of 2014 grand final.

Ruckmen
Mike Pyke
Tom Derickx
Sam Naismith
Toby Nankervis

Tall forwards
Lance Franklin
Kurt Tippett
Abaina Davis

Small forwards
Ben McGlynn
Jack Hiscox

Defenders >192cm
Heath Grundy
Ted Richards
Alex Johnson
Xavier Richards
Aliir Aliir

Defenders <191cm
Dean Rampe
Nick Smith
Jeremy Laidler
Gary Rohan
Rhyce Shaw
Harrison Marsh

Tall midfielders
Josh Kennedy
Isaac Heeney
George Hewett

178-183cm midfielders
Kieren Jack
Craig Bird
Lloyd Perris
Harry Cunningham
Jake Lloyd
Daniel Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Brandon Jack
Jarrad McVeigh
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Daniel Robinson
Lewis Jetta

Utilities
Adam Goodes
Sam Reid
Dean Towers

Nice. Constructive post. Brother of a club champion, 2 year extension and I'm talking bullshit suggesting he has a role and can become a key backman. I've seen him play and he has all the tools. Club thinks similar.

How exactly do you see our list management and it's outlook. Please I'm all ears. Enlighten me with non-silly season hysteria.
As I said the silly season is away. Whats it got to do with him being the brother of a very good player

Ruckmen
Mike Pyke
Tom Derickx
Sam Naismith
Toby Nankervis

Tall forwards
Lance Franklin
Kurt Tippett
Abaina Davis

Small forwards
Ben McGlynn
Jack Hiscox

Defenders >192cm
Heath Grundy
Ted Richards
Alex Johnson
Xavier Richards
Aliir Aliir

Defenders <191cm
Dean Rampe
Nick Smith
Jeremy Laidler
Gary Rohan
Rhyce Shaw
Harrison Marsh

Tall midfielders
Josh Kennedy
Isaac Heeney
George Hewett

178-183cm midfielders
Kieren Jack
Craig Bird
Lloyd Perris
Harry Cunningham
Jake Lloyd
Daniel Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Brandon Jack
Jarrad McVeigh
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Daniel Robinson
Lewis Jetta

Utilities
Adam Goodes
Sam Reid
Dean Towers

Good breakdown!

So looking over it ruck is horrible one of the worst depth charts in the league Naismith and Nankervis would want to kick on or have we got a couple of curries- pyke and drex are serviceable options at best this is our weakest area

Tall forwards- left Reid out and put him in utilities i notice, hope horse does the same or better yet moves him to the defence list, pretty good area though as silly as it sounds sometimes feels like the money for the 2 guns could be spent on four really good key forwards for instance. Can anyone who has seen Davis see him developed as a key defender in the future? I would probably put old 2015 goodes in this list possibly though guess he does not play tall.

Small forwards- id argue this mcglynn is a midfielder now and id swap him into that group and brandon jack here, as thats the only way i see brandon jack in the seniors, this area is basically where we rest a midfielder, unless hiscox is a gun small forward we dont have one.

Defenders > 192cm
2 good players and should be ok for 2015 though as many say Teds decline is of concern. But with AJ basically off this list the depth is bare, which it was this year lets face it, LRT and Walsh were spuds in 2014, better hope for no injuries at all. Need to get some games into XR and Aliir at some stage this year IMO

Defenders <191cm not a bad list if they keep developing and shaw can hold on some how as far as depth goes its ok, losing malceski hurts of course, wonder if Mcveigh will be back there? but still not our worst area of depth though a guy like Rohan who showed promise late is affected rightly or wrongly in my mind by his last game... so i have a concern over those types

Midfielders- didnt worry about their heights this obviously our best depth area, though hope kids like heeney hewett and co have a bit of zip as we have a few plodders in there, suspect some of this group have to be prepared to be half back options and or goal kicking options to fill the side, but this is an area of strength now and looks promising for the future imo. Jetta last :p not sure if deliberate but on his last game id add a space before his name if it is in order. :p

Utilities

Goodes yeah pity its not goodes from 3 years ago at least, Reid as a utility implies he is useful, towers gets a bum rap round here but he could come good. Id move Reid back

178-183cm midfielders
Kieren Jack
Craig Bird
Lloyd Perris
Harry Cunningham
Jake Lloyd
Daniel Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Brandon Jack
Jarrad McVeigh
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Daniel Robinson
Lewis Jetta

Therein lies the problem playing against Hawthorn - they're bigger and stronger than us on and around the ball. That's not to say that they aren't good enough, but they lack too much in physical size. If we're able to find a way to beat Hawthorn, then I think we'll be safe to get to the GF.

Therein lies the problem playing against Hawthorn - they're bigger and stronger than us on and around the ball. That's not to say that they aren't good enough, but they lack too much in physical size. If we're able to find a way to beat Hawthorn, then I think we'll be safe to get to the GF.

step 1, put in an actual f***n effort :p

step 1, put in an actual f***n effort :p
I don't disagree at all, but our midfield was definitely out-coached that day. I remember seeing Roughie hanging off the back of the pack at a ruck contest in their forward 50 and no one manned him up. Predictably, the ball was tapped and worked out to him and he had a free shot on goal. Lucky for us he missed, but they kicked a few goals almost straight away.

Or that Jetta kick out - * me was that bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfielders- didnt worry about their heights this obviously our best depth area, though hope kids like heeney hewett and co have a bit of zip as we have a few plodders in there, suspect some of this group have to be prepared to be half back options and or goal kicking options to fill the side, but this is an area of strength now and looks promising for the future imo. Jetta last :p not sure if deliberate but on his last game id add a space before his name if it is in order. :p

Utilities

Goodes yeah pity its not goodes from 3 years ago at least, Reid as a utility implies he is useful, towers gets a bum rap round here but he could come good. Id move Reid back
I put everything else in some sort of order but forgot about the midfielders - Jetta last was unintentional. Lloyd Perris would go below him due to his ACL reconstruction.

Did LOL at the bolded

Hewett, Jones, Heeney.

Throw in Xavier Richards, Alex Johnson if he returns.
Personal opinion but I thought Aliir went well and truly went past XR before injury from my view from the 2s.

He got bagged on here when he was drafted but he actually has very good skills at TIMES , can kick on both sides which half our mids cant.

He has better skills than XR and seems to read the game just as well if not better , also very quick and provides much more rebound.

Both boys really need to work on there one on one body work as both were bullied by T Boyd at times and it will not get easier at the elite level.

I don't disagree at all, but our midfield was definitely out-coached that day. I remember seeing Roughie hanging off the back of the pack at a ruck contest in their forward 50 and no one manned him up. Predictably, the ball was tapped and worked out to him and he had a free shot on goal. Lucky for us he missed, but they kicked a few goals almost straight away.

Or that Jetta kick out - **** me was that bad.

lol

now im feeling negative in the postive thread :p but geez im remembering some god awful things

Personal opinion but I thought Aliir went well and truly went past XR before injury from my view from the 2s.

He got bagged on here when he was drafted but he actually has very good skills at TIMES , can kick on both sides which half our mids cant.

He has better skills than XR and seems to read the game just as well if not better , also very quick and provides much more rebound.

Both boys really need to work on there one on one body work as both were bullied by T Boyd at times and it will not get easier at the elite level.

If i was coach id move Reid back for starters and rampe into Mals role perhaps

I would then be managing ted and reg game time and give pick whoever looks more promising out of Aliir and XR to play some seniors and kick start the development.

No good 2016 going oh bugger teds stuffed lets hope 3 seasons later AJ can still play and one of the kids can step up with no experience.

Alternative depth chart

Competent ruckmen
Pyke
Nankervis

Pointers
McVeigh
Goodes

Turned up to the Grand Final
Franklin
Kennedy
Goodes

Midfielders with good disposal
Hewett
Lloyd
Heeney
Jetta

Apologised to the fans after the Grand Final
Pyke

Defenders over 193cm
Aliir
X Richards

If i was coach id move Reid back for starters and rampe into Mals role perhaps

I would then be managing ted and reg game time and give pick whoever looks more promising out of Aliir and XR to play some seniors and kick start the development.

No good 2016 going oh bugger teds stuffed lets hope 3 seasons later AJ can still play and one of the kids can step up with no experience.
Tom Boyd is a big boy and there's a few monsters running around at the top level now. Tippet, Boyd and Hawkins come to mind, never mind that chap from GWS who keeps doing his knees, as well as Cloke from Collingwood. Grundy usually takes these guys but gets murdered from lack of height and strength.

Reg will continue to play for at least another 2-3 seasons at least at his best before a pretty rapid decline, like we've seen with Richards. If XR or AA can't push into the side in the next 12 months, then we need to trade in a good defender. But I'd like to see us replace Richards with AJ, and hopefully XR or AA can push into the 3rd tall spot.

Tom Boyd is a big boy and there's a few monsters running around at the top level now. Tippet, Boyd and Hawkins come to mind, never mind that chap from GWS who keeps doing his knees, as well as Cloke from Collingwood. Grundy usually takes these guys but gets murdered from lack of height and strength.

Reg will continue to play for at least another 2-3 seasons at least at his best before a pretty rapid decline, like we've seen with Richards. If XR or AA can't push into the side in the next 12 months, then we need to trade in a good defender. But I'd like to see us replace Richards with AJ, and hopefully XR or AA can push into the 3rd tall spot.

right now we cannot trade is the problem

right now we cannot trade is the problem
Not right now, but that won't be the case next year, and there's no way that the AFLs commissions trade ban will stand up, especially under a legal challenge. If it isn't overturned, it's definitely going to be legally challenged and s**t all over by the court system.

Not right now, but that won't be the case next year, and there's no way that the AFLs commissions trade ban will stand up, especially under a legal challenge. If it isn't overturned, it's definitely going to be legally challenged and s**t all over by the court system.

Why we did not do it this year is beyond me but I have no comment or knowledge of whether an appeal would be successful anyway.

I wonder whether we will at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back