Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 2. I ask them what they are focusing on this month and then I try to do things that support their teaching. For example, this month was all about the outdoors, camping, animals etc. So I'd focus on reading stories like that, taking him for walks, pointing out things etc. I realize they deal with lots of kids so not going to bug them that much. I don't think there is anything wrong with open discussion with teachers throughout their childhood though.
be my dad

Yep, I guess so. I don't really hear the accent anymore. My parents were just here and I noticed their accent more.

I found that when I was living in the US, the American accent starts to seem normal and the Aussie accent starts to sound more noticeable and strange.

I always thought that Australians that went to live in the States and started speaking with American accents were just putting it on but I started to pronounce some words there like 'beer' and 'burger' with an American accent after a while just because you hear it pronounced that way so often.

Both my parents have fob accents when speaking English, but apparently when they go to China, everybody they know can instantly tell a change in their accent when speaking.

Personally, I don't hear it.

9-3?

More like 8 to 5.

Take into account the stuff you have to do after school and the time spent tutoring kids in after school sessions.

Then after school, at home, you have to probably spend at least an hour or two most days grading papers and coming up with a curriculum.

oXS95cGGzs0yQ.gif

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-surrogate-motherhood-be-allowed

So apparently there's an actual debate in regards to surrogacy, and here I thought it's pretty common sense for it to be allowed :confused:

The only against reasoning I can understand is this:

No, because there are already far too many unfortunate children that could highly benefit from being adopted by infertile couples.
Okay, yep I can sort of understand that line of reasoning

No, because there are already far too many unfortunate children that could highly benefit from being adopted by infertile couples. I think it's awful to find ways to trick Mother Nature into passing defective genes,
Nope. I'm out. You've lost me.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-surrogate-motherhood-be-allowed

So apparently there's an actual debate in regards to surrogacy, and here I thought it's pretty common sense for it to be allowed :confused:

The only against reasoning I can understand is this:

Okay, yep I can sort of understand that line of reasoning

Nope. I'm out. You've lost me.
Are you talking about altruistic surrogacy or surrogacy for cash?
I've done a bit of research because in the future I may offer to be an altruistic surrogate for my sister in law.

Are you talking about altruistic surrogacy or surrogacy for cash?
I've done a bit of research because in the future I may offer to be an altruistic surrogate for my sister in law.
No clue. It's a topic I have to debate about.

Just started reading into it.

Also, apparently it's illegal everywhere in Australia?

No clue. It's a topic I have to debate about.

Just started reading into it.

Also, apparently it's illegal everywhere in Australia?
Surrogacy for money is illegal in Australia. Altruistic surrogacy is legal in most states--only medical expenses and time off work etc can be reimbursed. So you can't pay someone to have a baby for you. You have to use the egg of one woman (the mother) and the womb of another (the surrogate), which can either be fertilised by the father or a sperm donor. The surrogate must have carried their own baby to term prior to becoming a surrogate and there's a lot of legal paperwork that must be completed first. In Victoria the surrogate is listed on the original birth certificate because the legal definition of the mother here is the woman who gives birth to the baby, so then the actual mother must legally adopt the baby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surrogacy for money is illegal in Australia. Altruistic surrogacy is legal in most states--only medical expenses and time off work etc can be reimbursed. So you can't pay someone to have a baby for you. You have to use the egg of one woman (the mother) and the womb of another (the surrogate), which can either be fertilised by the father or a sperm donor. The surrogate must have carried their own baby to term prior to becoming a surrogate and there's a lot of legal paperwork that must be completed first. In Victoria the surrogate is listed on the original birth certificate because the legal definition of the mother here is the woman who gives birth to the baby, so then the actual mother must legally adopt the baby.
How does breastfeeding work with surrogacy?

I guess you can wet nurse (depending on your relationship with the surrogate, or you can use a milk bank) or bottle feed.

If I do end up carrying for my SIL then I would stipulate that she bottle feeds, I wouldn't want to wet nurse.
I think being a surrogate would take a pretty heavy toll from an emotional perspective, probably best to break the tie at birth, would be much harder to 'let go' if you wet nurse as well. Obviously your situation is a bit different as you would be in the kid's life as its auntie but im thinking more along the lines of stranger surrogates.

I had hoped that after the all the surrogacy furors recently there might have been a sensible conversation about commercial surrogacy to be had. Banning it outright seems to be driving it offshore, and underground, which I don't think leads to great results for anybody really.

I think being a surrogate would take a pretty heavy toll from an emotional perspective, probably best to break the tie at birth, would be much harder to 'let go' if you wet nurse as well. Obviously your situation is a bit different as you would be in the kid's life as its auntie but im thinking more along the lines of stranger surrogates.
Yes, I highly doubt stranger surrogates would have anything further to do with the baby after birth. Also the parents would want to bond with the baby as much as possible, so I know in some cases as soon as the baby is born they have immediate chest to chest contact with the egg mother, not the surrogate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back