Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a courtesy, like the seats on the train that you are supposed to give up. Or in fact just giving up your seat on a train for a pregnant woman. You don't have to do it, but most people do because it's courteous and really in the grand scheme of things, doesn't put you out too much.
I don't see it that way at all. I would give up my seat on a train or bus for the elderly or a pregnant woman in a heartbeat. What we're talking about here is a supermarket trying to legislate against people who may not spend as much money as the woman with five screaming brats.

Yeah, this conversation has happened a few times on BigFooty.
Okay. I will not say anything else on the matter. :rainbow:

I don't see it that way at all. I would give up my seat on a train or bus for the elderly or a pregnant woman in a heartbeat. What we're talking about here is a supermarket trying to legislate against people who may not spend as much money as the woman with five screaming brats.

Okay. I will not say anything else on the matter. :rainbow:

Yeah, I don't see it that way in the slightest. There's no legislation, it's a courtesy thing and also a bit of a safety thing too.

Just park there. Being a parent isn't a disability it's a life choice. Those spaces are discriminating against people who have chosen not to breed.

Lighten up - the bay's are slightly wider to allow them to get easier access to their kids rather than whacking the car next to them
People seriously need to stop sweating the small stuff

It's a courtesy, like the seats on the train that you are supposed to give up. Or in fact just giving up your seat on a train for a pregnant woman. You don't have to do it, but most people do because it's courteous and really in the grand scheme of things, doesn't put you out too much.

At least in Melbourne those priority seats for elderly and disabled are legally enforcable, you can be fined if you refuse to give it up.

Lighten up - the bay's are slightly wider to allow them to get easier access to their kids rather than whacking the car next to them
People seriously need to stop sweating the small stuff
Lighten up? I'm not sweating anything. I have no qualms about parking in them. People who jump up and down about it are sweating the small stuff. The reason it's unenforceable is because it's discriminatory. Plain and simple. Just put those wider parents with prams bays at the back of the car park then not right outside the door next to the disabled bays. Most people don't park that far away so there's much less danger of whacking any cars if that's a big concern for these people (and I doubt it is).

The whole point is to make it easier for parents who tend to spend more. Don't have to walk kids through cars so it's safer. But also more convenient for them so they'll shop there. No business incentive to have them at the back.

They are usually only a couple of spots anyway and full most the time. Never seen anybody kick up a fuss about them. I'm ok with giving heavily pregnant women a park near the front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lighten up? I'm not sweating anything. I have no qualms about parking in them. People who jump up and down about it are sweating the small stuff. The reason it's unenforceable is because it's discriminatory. Plain and simple. Just put those wider parents with prams bays at the back of the car park then not right outside the door next to the disabled bays. Most people don't park that far away so there's much less danger of whacking any cars if that's a big concern for these people (and I doubt it is).
Moving through a car park with kids is a safety issue so it makes sense to put them at the front. It is also hard for heavily pregnant woman to move around freely, so putting them at the front makes sense. Whether you agree with them or not, its hard to argue against the logical place being at the front.

Always leave a pram in my car so i can park in the 'parents with prams' parking at the shops

But wouldn't the pram not be in the car if you legit had kids? ;)

I parked in one the other day- every single other car park was taken, so I thought **** it and parked in one. All 4 were free. I still felt bad but too bad.

The whole point is to make it easier for parents who tend to spend more. Don't have to walk kids through cars so it's safer. But also more convenient for them so they'll shop there. No business incentive to have them at the back.

Exactly my point. It's discriminatory.

They are usually only a couple of spots anyway and full most the time. Never seen anybody kick up a fuss about them.

Yeah I think there are five at my local. I've had a couple of looks before but nobody has ever been game to say anything. I also see plenty of other people who quite obviously have no prams, kids or buns in the oven parking in them too. I'm obviously not the only one who feels they're a crock. Just perhaps the only one right here at the moment. :D

Pretty sure it's not dicrimatory or against the law. Makes business sense - it's just not enforceable.
I never said it's against the law. As your previous post outlines though, it is discriminatory which is why it will never be law. The other reason is can you just imagine the outrage from certain sections of the community at people with children/expecting children pretty much being labelled disabled/handicapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back