Tigs First Ever Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Ok, so this year I've had a bit of time on my hands to actually pay a bit of attention to some of the juniors and have a few little sources from inside the industry to pick the brains out of too.
This is first time I've done this and certainly don't see anywhere near as much as the others on here. Have also paid barely any attention to the 2nd div states. A) because GWS/GC kind of ruin it. B) I don't have the resources to do so and C) realistically not that many get picked from those states each year. (However have enjoyed NT this year.)

**Apologies haven't put descriptions up yet** Notes are hand written and haven't bothered typing them into a readable format yet and I realised after coming up with the order how much work this would take. :p

Ladder order is from Ladder Predictor on AFL site (I'm not going to get every tip right for rest of the year so don't shoot me down if your team is too low.

1st Round

1. Greater Western Sydney - Lachlan Whitfield (Midfielder)
Height: 184cm
Weight: 74kg
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Range: 1
Description: Whitfield is the best junior in this years crop on current performances. To go along with his elite skills he has the endurance to just go and go all day at good speed. I have a feeling I read he clocked a 17 in the beep test which is incredible for a 17/18 year old. At this stage is more an outside midfielder who can go forward and kick goals which in modern footy is a more than handy attribute with the sub rule. With the Giants' array of inside mids Whitfield will be the outside class that they need to add to complete their midfield.

2. Greater Western Sydney - Jimmy Toumpas (Midfielder)
Height: 183
Weight: 74
Club: Woodville West Torrens
Range: 2-5
Description: Toumpas is a very highly skilled midfielder from SA.He's a player that a coach can throw anywhere on the field and he can perform. Has already been performing to a very high level at SANFL senior level as a 16 year old including a premiership with WWT. Like Whitfield is probably more of an outside type but has the ability to win a clearance and just burst out of a pack and be very damaging with his ball use once in the clear. Suns probably need inside mids Toumpas will be too hard to pass over and I believe ina few years will have no issue playing more inside.

3. Greater Western Sydney - Jonathon O'Rourke (Midfielder)
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
Club: Calder Cannons
Range: 3-8
Description: O'Rourke is a skillful inside/outside mid who could possibly rise into top 10 calculations by seasons end. After an injury riddled 2011 he has remained injury free this year. Not an overly big player physically but is quite an accomplished player on the inside. Always seems to have time to pick the right option and hit his target. Fantastic composure. Is also a very good athlete with good mix of endurance and speed. Will probably play a season or two as an outside mid before moving into the guts.

4. Melbourne (compensation pick) - Oliver Wines (Midfielder)
Height: 185cm
Weight: 83kg
Club: Bendigo Pioneers
Range: 3-9
Description: Wines would challenge Viney for the title of best inside midfielder in this draft. He's a fair bit bigger than Viney and isn't afraid to crash in with his big frame. Has pretty good endurance so can run all day but isn't overly quick. He's a decent kick without being anything special and at Champs it would have been nice to see him convert a bit more of his oportunities in front of goal.

5. Western Bulldogs - Sam Mayes (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 187cm
Weight: 78kg
Club: North Adelaide
Range: 4-12
Description: I may be alone here but IMO Mayes will become the best player in this draft. Absolutely love the way he goes about his footy. He has one of, if not the very best kick in this draft pool. Top notch kick. Has a lot of versatility with his development beginning as a lead-up forward where he dominated at champs last year. This year has turned into a more full-time midfielder. Has copped some heavy defensive attention this year so is very highly rated. Last year playing forward he had the ability to get great separation from his defender and whilst I haven't really seen him use this burst as a midfielder as much he always seems to have an eternity. I think he compares pretty favorably to Pendlebury in this regard.

6. Western Bulldogs (compensation pick) - Troy Menzel (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 186cm
Weight: 77kg
Club: Central Districts
Range: 5-20
Description: If Menzel can stay fit he will probably be one of the most damaging players in the draft. Managed to kick 15 goals in 2 Champs games before succumbing to injury. Has had the LARS surgery but that was some 2 years ago. While I’ve currently got him going quite late I’m sure someone will take the punt on him early. Will probably go between 10-15 at least. Troy is a highly skilled medium forward/midfielder. He’s a great size and elite kick of the footy. As a forward he is more than capable of getting his goals from being a lead and mark player or as a crumber similar to a Stevie J. When fit is a pretty good athlete which should hold him in good stead at Draft Camp and boost his draft prospects. Bit of talk Doggies have done their homework on Menzel and are pretty happy with what they've seen.

7. Port Adelaide - Brodie Grundy (Ruck)
Height: 202cm
Weight: 100kg
Club: Sturt
Range: 2-9
Description: Grundy would be one of the best ruckman available in quite some time. He is probably the only true rival to Whitfield for that no.1 selection especially with Sheedy's comments about talls. Excellent tap ruckman who can really bring his midfielders into the game. Already has a big body and with his mobility and ability below his knees I think he will be able to come in and play as a 2nd ruck from day one. Could probably be the no.1 ruck on ability but he'd just get banged up. Reasonable contested mark, good tank on him already and his kicking skills are improving very quickly. Bit of talk GWS won't take him and will pull a slight surprise at 3 giving PA an early Christmas gift.

8. Brisbane - Lachlan Plowman (Defender/Midfielder)
Height: 191cm
Weight: 86kg
Range: 4-13
Description: Plowman is a very good rebounding KPD whom the VM coach has said was sorely missed during the Champs (can't have been missed too much seems they won it). Just a hunch but I think his career may pan out similar to a Mundy. First few years as a rebounding HBF but then move into a midfield role.

9. Richmond - Jackson MacRae (Forward/Midfielder)
Height: 188cm
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Range: 4-15
Description:Highly skilled outside midfielder/half forward. Has very good pace and excellent agility that allow him to break the lines and cut teams up. Is slowly starting to be able to win his own ball and can be a very damaging goal kicker up forward as evidenced in his 6 goal haul in game 2 of the Champs. His kicking skills are a big feature of his game and he will certainly be a guy pushing for a 1st round selection come November.

10. Essendon - Joe Daniher (KPF/Ruck) - Father/Son Pick.
Height: 201cm
Weight: 89kg
Range: 1st Round Selection
Description: Daniher I’d have in the top 3 (Whitfield/Grundy) pretty comfortably and I’d imagine GC would consider him as a KPF who can play ruck. Pretty much doesn’t matter if Essendon lost every game for the rest of the season they would still have a bargain. One thing that has really impressed me (and he does have an advantage over other 18’s) is the muscle he has put on. He’s already filling out nicely for such a tall kid. His kicking in the WA game for goal wasn’t great but he’s quite capable of having a day of 7.0 so I don’t see it as an issue at all.

11. Carlton - Kristian Jaksch (KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm
Weight: 85kg
Range: 6-20
Description: I think Jaksch will turn out to be the best of this years KPF. Not sure he is worthy of a top 10 pick at this stage but I think a team will snatch him up quite early. Is a pretty solid KPD but it's his work as a KPF that will push him up to being a pick in the top 15-20. Is a very good contested mark and I believe he is a guy you could build an attack around long term. Has very good skills for a big man and believe he will turn into a big, strong FF/CHF like a Hurley type.

12. Greater Western Sydney - Tim Membrey (Forward)
Height: 189cm
Weight: 88kg
Club: Gippsland Power
Range: 11-25
Description: Membrey is another guy I really like in the Darling/Crameri mould. Will need to work hard on his tank to be able to reach the heights of those guys though. Captain of the Gippsland Power so has good leadership qualities and is a high-character kid. Really strong-marking forward and an accurate kick for goal. His first quarter against SA was really impressive, especially some of his harassing and tackling. He tested quicker than I thought he would and teams see him as a big bodied midfielder who can play forward. The big mover in this update.

13. Gold Coast (compensation pick) - Nick Vlastuin (Midfielder)
Club: Northern Knights
Range: 5-20
Description: Vlastuin is a real hard nut inside midfielder. Someone who a GC, Richmond, Carlton would love to have. Wasn’t hugely productive in the Champs but was playing a new role off a HBF. For a big bodied inside mid he has some pretty neat kicking skills. The downside to him would be that he isn’t the most athletically gifted player going around in that he isn’t very quick, he doesn’t have a big leap and he’s already very physically developed. However, he is already a pretty high level player and has the added bonus of good leadership quality as well.

14. Greater Western Sydney (compensation pick) - Jake Stringer (Midfielder/Forward)
Weight: 91kg
Range: 5-30
Description: Stringer could be the bargain of the draft or he may never get over his injury. He’s being looked at as a mid-late first rounder and with the Cats interest in him with a mini-draft pick they will be over the moon if he could last until their pick. Stringer is just a man mountain in under 18’s. I have a few question marks over his foot skills (I’ll admit I hadn’t seen him pre-broken leg so that could be the reason) and whether or not he dominates midfield because he’s just that much bigger. Having said that he’s not an awful kick and he does crack in hard so that should translate to being a dominate AFL clearance player too. I think if you are drafting him it’s as a midfielder who rests forward rather than a forward who pinch hits.

15. North Melbourne - Josh Simpson (Forward/Midfielder)
Weight: 72kg
Club: East Fremantle
Range: 12-25
Description: Simpson broke his collarbone I believe earlier in the year so had a slow start and showed a few signs in the Championships. Plays midfield and forward and will probably start his career as a forward before developing into a midfielder. He still has a bit of filling out to do to be ready for AFL but he has some really great skills both football wise and athletically. Has a huge leap on him to go with some very good pace. Think long term he will develop into a Daniel Wells type.

16. Geelong - Thomas Clurey (KPD)
Height: 193cm
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Range: 15-30
Description: Clurey IMO is the best of a good group of KPD (not including Plowman who I’d have as a 3rd tall def/mid). Whilst I think Smith is probably a better shut down defender, Clurey is a better rebounder and more all-around KPD. In that sense he’s probably more you’re the type of guy to take the 2nd forward who he can run off a bit more. He probably won’t go first round but I like him a lot.

17. Fremantle - Mason Shaw (KPF/Ruck)
Height: 198cm
Weight: 92kg
Club: South Fremantle
Range: 8-16
Description: It's a shame about the broken jaw that Shaw received earlier in the year. Kicked 8 in his return game but he hasn't really got going yet outside of that. Not completely sold on Shaw as a high pick but he's a great size at 198cm and can play as a 2nd ruck as well as FF. He's more of a stay at home forward rather that a guy who will roam up the field which is fine because he is a very good contested mark and looks like he could fill out to be a monster like Tippett. Kicked 7 in last years Grand Final so that should hold him in good stead come draft night.

18. Collingwood - Dayle Garlett (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 180cm
Club: Swan Districts
Range: 11-25
Description:Garlett is the most interesting player come draft night for mine. Will he go top 5-10 like his talent deserves or will he slide out of the first round due to his 'attitude problems.' By all accounts he still has a fair way to go to rid himself of the perception he has created but he has gone a long way to doing so. Another highly skilled outside mid going early but he has genuine line-breaking ability with his pace and deadly accurate kicking skills. He also has the ability to win his own ball but his forte will be as a goal-kicking outside midfielder.

19. Collingwood - Taylor Garner (Forward)
Weight: 77kg
Range: 9-25
Description: Garner is one I wasn’t overly impressed with in the televised games. At this stage he seems very patchy, which admittedly can happen with his type of player. Struggles to always get involved in the game and hasn’t really put together 4 quarters. As a medium forward I really want to see him hit the scoreboard harder as I do believe he has the talent to do so. He also has some ball-winning ability and I’d like to see him play more midfield minutes to boost his draft chances if I was going to take him this high. Could go as high as Richmond at pick 9.

20. Adelaide - Ben Kennedy (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 174cm
Weight: 76kg
Club: Glenelg
Description: Kennedy is a lightning quick midfielder/small forward. Is very much capable of doing both to a very high level. Can rack up a huge number of possession through the midfield or kick bags of goals in the forward line. If he was bigger would be a certain top 10 IMO and is still a chance to go there. By all accounts was very close to being selected by Adelaide with the mini-draft pick last year so that gives an idea of where he is at. One thing I really like about him for a guy who has the assets he does is he has a touch of arrogance. (Maybe more than a touch) Just has that I’m going to be able to burn you off look in his eyes when he sizes his opponent up.

21. Collingwood - Jesse Lonergan (Midfielder)
Club: Launceston
Range: 13-25
Description:Lonergan is a tough contested inside ball-winner. He is the nephew of ex-Bomber Sam. Not an elite kick by any stretch of the imagination but you would be drafting him for his work on the bottom of the packs. Missed a chunk of this season with injury but came back for second half of champs. 35 of his 49 possessions were contested at the champs. He started to hit the scoreboard at the champs as well, with 4 goals in the last 2 games against NSW/ACT and NT.

22. Western Bulldogs - Nathan Hrovat (Midfielder)
Height: 176cm
Range: 15-50
Description: Hrovat was probably the most productive player of the Champs. He just continually racked up big numbers. He is a very small midfielder who has a huge work rate. Very solid size for a little bloke so is able to win a lot of his own ball. His skills are elite and he is very much a dual-sided player, which is a credit to his hard work and discipline. He shows some real leadership in the way he’s always the first to get over to encourage his teammates. He will be a guy who you can put straight into the team from round 1 next year and he will have an impact as he's generally one of the best players on the ground every game.

23. Sydney - Tanner Smith (KPD)
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
Description: Personally I probably wouldn’t take Smith before a late first rounder unless I was desperate for a KPD like a Brisbane/St.Kilda. Nothing against the kid but pure shutdown defenders can be picked up later in the draft IMO. Smith is fantastic when it comes to being able to shut down his man as he is rarely beaten but I doubt he’s going to hurt his opponent going the other way which modern footy seems to dictate you need to do at a lot of clubs. At this stage he doesn’t get much of the ball and isn’t a very good kick. (Possibly related to each other)

24. Brisbane (compensation pick) - Tim O'Brien (KPF)
Weight: 81kg
Range: 20-40
Description: Not a huge guy for someone who plays in the ruck a bit at under 18 level but he has an amazing leap on him. I'm excited to see what he can post at Draft Camp for vertical leap. Played predominantly as a KPF for SA whilst giving the occasional chop out to Grundy in the ruck. Had quite a successful championships kicking 6.0 in the opening game against Tasmania. Still a pretty raw prospect but plenty to work with.

2nd Round

25. St.Kilda - Nicholas Graham (Midfielder)
Height: 182cm
Range: 15-35
Description: I think I might be the only one who has Graham in the first round. Has really taken his game to another level since the Champs. He's a tough little midfielder who has a ferocious attack on the ball and the man. Capable of winning a lot of contested footy as well as being able to sneak forward and kick a few goals. For an inside mid he has a bit of pace so there is quite a lot to like about this kid. One of the few knocks on him would probably be his kicking. Having said that he is still an ok kick and it should hold up at AFL level.

26. St.Kilda - Aidan Corr (KPF/KPD)
Weight: 80kg
Range: 25-late
Description: Not one I’ve seen a lot of but Corr is a KPD with good endurance and a great size to him (although still skinny at this stage.) He has a good rebounding game so can see him making a good CHB long term. Whilst he is more of an attacking KPD he is still capable of shutting his opponent down as well but it is an area for improvement still at this stage. Looks like he could possibly be a tall wingman due to his athleticism so has a fair bit of versatility.

27. Melbourne - Jack Viney (Midfielder) - Father/Son
Height: 178cm
Range: 27
Description: Viney is probably the best inside midfielder of this draft crop and will add a lot of grunt to the Melbourne midfield. Not sure what the deal is whether Melbourne are foxing or not as to whether they will pick him up. GC may bid pick 2 on him but I doubt they nominate him over Whitfield and I can't see GWS nominating him. Probably becomes a non-issue because I think the Dees have a soft draw to finish off and will finish 14th and have pick 6 which they will use on him. Probably the most ferocious junior to come through in a while. Just hunts the footy without much care for his well-being. Had seen him on video but saw him live at the pre-game to Round 1 and he was a maniac in his attack.

28. Greater Western Sydney - Liam McBean (KPF/Ruck)
Height: 202cm
Weight: 84kg
Description: McBean is one of the toughest to place. Has lots of potential as a highly athletic 200cm+ KPF/2nd ruck. I have heard he will likely go first round as you just don’t get guys with these qualities every day so someone will take the punt. I think you are more picking him for his work as either a KPF or KPD as he showed at the Champs, whilst his rucking is just an added bonus. His aerial ability, foot skills and reading of the play would hold him in good stead if someone wants to develop him as a KPD. However, not sure that 202cm CHB will be that successful. There’s always a first for everything though and Richmond is trying it with Griffiths to reasonable effect.

29. Hawthorn - Matthew Haynes (Midfielder)
Range: 15-40
Description:Haynes is a fantastic athlete. Very tall outside mid whom has freakish pace for someone so big. Very capable of using this pace to break the lines and cut teams up. However, his foot skills and decision-making can let him down and prevent him from being a first rounder. Would like to see him play more in the centre to try develop his ball-winning skills, which would make him a far more damaging and sought after player.

30. Port Adelaide (compensation pick) - Nathan Wright (Midfielder/Defender)
Range: 15-35
Description: Wright is a hard nut who can play either off the half back flank or as a midfielder. He has surprised me a little bit with his athleticism. He has some pretty good line-breaking ability and also a decent leap on him. His skills are aren’t bad but he certainly isn’t elite which won’t matter if he plays more inside mid as opposed to rebounding defender.

31. Port Adelaide (compensation pick) - Tim Broomhead (Mid/Utility)
Club: Port Adelaide
Range: 15-31
Description: Broomhead is a kid I didn't pay much attention to until someone asked about him. He's one of my favourites in this draft after having gone back to watch some footage. Very versatile young player and can play pretty much anywhere. During the Champs was used off a half-back flank but has since been playing as a HFF to a high level. Has very good kicking skills and is strong overhead for someone of his size. Personally I think long-term his career could pan out similar to a few Collingwood players in Sidebottom and Beams whereby he starts as a HFF but long-term will push into the midfield.

32. Richmond (compensation pick) - Rory Atkins (Midfielder)
Range: 25-50
Description: Atkins is a guy who has probably slipped down the pecking order this year as he has struggled to get involved in games during the Champs. Atkins is more than capable of playing as an inside or outside midfielder. Personally like him better on the inside as he has a fierce attack on the ball and uses it well even under pressure. He also has a nice burst of pace out of packs and is strong so he is hard to tackle. He is another of those midfielders who can go to the forward line to rest rather than the bench and have an impact there. Last year he had an 8 goal haul from memory. At this stage just needs to develop a bit more consistency to his game.

33. Brisbane - Dean Towers (Midfielder)
Club: North Ballarat (VFL)
Range: 20-50
Description: Mature-ager. Very skilled outside midfielder. Very explosive run and carry type player. Not a guy that's likely to rack up 30+ touches but is the type of player that will cause serious damage with 18-20 instead. Really nice size as well for an outside midfielder at 189cm who tested off the charts for his vertical leap. Despite being a mature-ager IMO he isn't a ready made player and still needs some physical development.

34. Richmond - Tim Sumner (Midfielder/Forward)
Range: 30-late
Description: Sumner is a real excitement machine and a very damaging outside midfielder or half forward. He’s a really great size and capable of taking a good grab. Managed to get a game for SA against Country and was IMO robbed of a goal. Nice pace and skills and with limited touches can either set up a lot of goals or kick them himself. For an outside player he is still capable of going in and winning his own ball or sitting back to be the receiver and use his skills.

35. Essendon - Jason Pongracic (Midfielder)
Description: Pongracic is a tough as nails inside midfielder who is already very physically developed so again probably drafting him for what he is capable of now. He’s like a bull with his attack on the ball. While not a liability he is not the best kick going around but he will probably develop into the guy diving onto the bottom of packs dishing out the handball so it’s not a huge issue as he won’t rely on it. Has the added bonus of his leadership skills as the co-captain of the Stingrays. Due to an injury this year has spent a fair bit of time forward and can be dangerous up forward as he is so strong and hard to match up on. His body shape means he could slide a bit further than this but I think Essendon has a bargain here.

36. Carlton - Andrew Boston (Midfielder)
Club: Broadbeach
Description: Smallish midfielder with very neat skills. Probably the pick of the Queenslanders this year and likely to be a zone selection for the Suns. Capable of racking up big numbers as well as resting forward and impacting on the scoreboard. Didn't test overly well but his footballing ability is very good and will be hard to pass over here for the Blues needing a midfielder.

37. Fremantle - Adam Carter (Midfielder/Defender)
Height: 179cm
Weight: 70kg
Description: Carter is a guy with a very good football brain. Not very big but don’t let his size fool you though as he is a strong little tough nut who just knows how to win the footy on the inside, which long term will be his role at AFL level. He is also more than capable of playing as a backman to start so despite his lack of size for a ball-winning midfielder he will be able to get a taste of AFL early on and have an impact.

38. North Melbourne - Sam Colquhoun (Defender/Midfielder)
Range: 15-40
Description: Colquhoun is a very skilful small defender/midfielder. Very rarely misses a target and would be a guy who you could trust with the kick-outs from day one. Not sold on him being a guaranteed 1st rounder at this stage. Have question marks on his ball winning ability as a midfielder and would like to see him play a bit more midfield. (Possibly just me not seeing him play games there as opposed to him not doing it?) Very composed and always has time to make the right decision so it should translate pretty well to being an AFL level midfielder. Not overly big so may take some time putting on some weight to be AFL ready.

39. Collingwood - Leigh Osborne (HBF)
Weight: 82kg
Club: Frankston (VFL)
Range: 35-Rookie
Description: This guy is likely to be (at worst) the second mature-age player called out on draft day, behind Towers, and I probably have him a bit too low. This has been his first year playing in the VFL after playing suburban footy and has excelled at the Dolphins. Really highly skilled back-flanker. Left-footer with pace. Wouldn't look out of place on a Hawthorn back flank. Good fit for Collingwood as a skilful rebounder.

40. Fremantle - Samuel Lowrie (Midfielder)
Range: 40-late
Description: Lowrie is a lovely height for a midfielder and has the body shape to really fill out. Was really disappointed we didn’t get to see him play more in the guts in the VM game. He’s capable of playing both inside and outside but really only got to see his outside play. He’s also more than capable of pushing forward to impact the scoreboard if given the chance. Could be a real bargain for the team that picks him up.

41. St.Kilda - Spencer White (KPF)
Weight: 88kg
Club: Western Jets

42. North Melbourne - Laine Wilkins (Midfielder/Forward)
Club: Peel Thunder
Description:Wilkins is an interesting midfield/forward prospect who did his prospects no harm on the big stage nearly single handedly dragging WA back into the game against Metro with 3 third quarter goals. Athletically he will test off the charts in the vertical leap and is quite a competent overhead mark, freakish speed and good skills. However, he is prone to the odd howler but that can be fixed at the next level IMO. As displayed in the Champs he is a guy with huge hurt factor whether it be midfield or as a forward. Have moved him back up my order as I think his athletic traits will see him go early rather than later.

43. Richmond - Steven Baldasso (Midfielder)
Weight: 73kg
Club: Norwood
Description: Lightning quick midfielder from SA who didn't get to show off his ability at Champs. Very good one-touch footballer who has fantastic agility and good footskills. He also has reasonable aerial ability which allows him to get forward and kick goals. Only downside I see to Baldasso is he is going to take awhile to put on the necessary size required to play AFL.
44. St.Kilda - Cameron Banfield (Defender)
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Range: 35-late
Description:

45. Sydney - Matthew McDonough (Forward)
Description: Nuggety small forward in the Porplyzia mould. Very strong kid for someone of his height and proved to be a very difficult match up at the champs kicking two bags of 6 goals and 3 in the final game. Not convinced his type will be the most highly sought after but I think he can continue to be a difficult match up at AFL level. Would like to see him play more midfield to finish off the year as everyone knows he is a more than capable forward and some versatility wouldn't go astray.

3rd Round

46. West Coast - Nicholas Rodda (KPD)
Weight: 94kg
Club: West Perth
Description:Rodda is a guy who I think will go higher than expected due to needs. He’s a lovely size and a very good full back. Can shut down an opponent but is also a very good kick for a FB of his size, which is a rare commodity to have. Capable of taking the kick-ins as well as linking up on the rebound and being able to hurt opposition teams with his foot skills which will see him go reasonably high for a full back.

47. Sydney - Brant Colledge (KPF)
Height: 192cm
Weight: 87kg
Club: Perth
Range: 40-Rookie
Description: One of the better WA key forwards at the Champs. Really good lead and mark type forward. Super mark of the footy which is his point of difference (x-factor) and should see him forge an AFL career despite being that borderline height.

48. North Melbourne - Brodie Murdoch (Forward)
Range: 50-Rookie
Description: Brodie is a bit different to his brother Jordan in that he is an undersized KPF. At AFL level he will need to develop into a 3rd/4th string forward. Similar to his brother he has a really nice left foot kick on him and doesn't waste too many chances at goal.

49. Melbourne - Sam Siggins (KPD)
Weight:
Club:
Description:

50. Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Hunter (Mid/HFF) - Father/Son Selection
Height: 181cm
Club:Western Jets
Range: 50

51. Western Bulldogs (Compensation Pick) - Mason Middleton (KPF)
Weight: 95kg
Club: West Adelaide
Description:

52. Essendon - Sean Lynch (Defender/Midfielder)
Height: 184cm
Description: Lynch's production is probably worthy of a pick around 20 but he seems like a bit of a vanilla type midfielder. He's more of an outside guy as a rebounding defender or wingman and he isn't blessed with any electric pace, not that he's a plodder, nor does he have super skills. For this reason I'd say he's more likely to go after 40ish.

53. Melbourne - Jackson Thurlow (Defender)
Weight: 79kg
Club: Launceston
Range: 35-late
Description: Thurlow is a rebounding defender from Tasmania. Very good skills and can rack up a lot of the ball. Played a pretty unaccountable loose role in the backline throughout the Championships so would like to see him push up into the midfield a bit more and work on his defensive side and contested work which will help push him up the draft order.

54. Adelaide - Marco Paparone (KPF)
Height: 193cm
Description: Paparone is a guy I know a few others are pretty keen on but I just don’t see it. He may go late first/early second due to lack of other KPF’s but I think he just lacks in too many areas for my liking. He’s a very good endurance athlete, which will hold him in good stead as a CHF but his aerial work and toughness leave a little to be desired if he wants to make it as a KPF at AFL level. His kicking for goal is also not at a high-level from what I’ve seen so I think he is a guy who will probably go closer to the 40-60 range.

55. Essendon - Harley Montgomery (Defender/Midfielder)
Height: 177cm
Range: 30-Rookie
Description:

56. Carlton - Michael Close (KPF)
Height: 195cm
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
Description:

57. Gold Coast - Jacob Ballard (Midfielder)
Range: 45-Rookie
Description: Really strong big-bodied midfielder who can win a lot of his own ball. Has very good skills for an inside player and is rarely beaten in a contest. Has played a lot down back so has a strong defensive game. I think he will turn into a handy tagger at the top level.

58. North Melbourne - Majak Daw (Rookie Elevation)

59. Geelong - Tom Temay (Midfielder)
Description: Temay is a smallish midfielder who really impressed in some of his champs games. He managed to rack up plenty of the ball and uses it quite well. Had 30 touches vs Tassie and 24 vs Vic Country while doing the job on Whitfield from what I could gather. Not one I had paid a huge amount of attention to beforehand and I probably have him a bit low at this stage.

60. Fremantle - Lee Spurr (Rookie Elevation)

61. West Coast - Jarrad Lienert (KPF/KPD)
Weight:
Description: Lienert is a KPP from SA who is capable of playing at either end of the ground. Very talented at both ends and can be a bit of a swingman. He isn't the tallest player going around and is a bit of an awkward height so I think he is best suited to playing as a 3rd tall. Personally like him as a defender better and as a 3rd tall defender he has a very good offensive game.

62. West Coast - Marvin Warrell (Forward)
Range: 35-Rookie
Description:

63. North Melbourne - Sam Gibson (Rookie Elevation)

64. Adelaide - Ian Callinan (Rookie Elevation)

65. Greater Western Sydney - James Stewart F/S (KPF) - Father/Son Selection
Height: 197cm
Range: late-rookie
Description: Stewart is a likely 2nd/3rd round option for the Pies as a KPF. Really not sure where teams will bid on him. With the lack of real key forward options I could see a team bidding a 2nd on him hoping the Pies won’t match it. He’s not an overly physical key forward and still has a lot of development to go in his body so is a bit of a project. Is a very nice kick of the footy for a guy who is 197cm. Not sure he is really hard enough at the contest to make it as a big KPF and he may follow the path of a Ben Griffiths/Jack Watts and use his skills distributing from the back half.

66. Sydney - Darcy Fort (Ruck)
Height: 203cm
Weight:
Club: Geelong Falcons
Description: Only way he goes this high IMO is if GWS don't get Grundy. Very much a project ruckman who will likely be a rookie selection. He's been the ruckman to emerge throughout this TAC season and IMO overtake the likes of Prowse/Pierce as the best ruck outside Grundy. His ruckwork is very good and is also a very good mark. For a young ruck he gets quite involved around the ground which is a really good sign that he could develop into something at AFL level.

67. Sydney - Joel Tippett (KPD)
Height:
Weight:
Club: West Adelaide
Description:

Late Rounds

68. Hawthorn - Emmanuel Irra (Midfielder)
Club: South Adelaide
Description: Irra is a Ugandan refugee playing as an outside mid for South Adelaide. Is a kid who has already made his league debut and for a kid who hasn't been playing all his life is a beautiful kick off both sides of his body. Once he gets the ball he has elite speed and is very difficult to catch. At times though he can really struggle to get involved in the game and therefore needs to improve his work rate if he wants to make it at the next level.

69. Greater Western Sydney - Matthew Wallis (KPD)
Height: 192cm
Description: Wallis was SA’s no.1 KPD throughout the Champs but also had the challenging role of playing on NT’s smaller forwards and handled himself really well. Not a huge guy but a pretty good athlete and is big enough to hold down an AFL spot as a key defender. Has neat skills for a big guy as well though he doesn’t get to use them a lot at this stage. I’d like to see him get a bit more involved on the rebound because he certainly isn’t a liability. His biggest strength is probably his aerial ability though. He is a very good overhead mark which will help make up for any lack of height.

70. Melbourne - Matthew Dick (Defender/Midfielder)
Weight: 87kg
Range: 50-rookie
Description:

71. Carlton -Khan Haretuku (KPF/Ruck)
Height: 199cm
Weight: 98kg
Club: Frankston (VFL)
Range: late-Rookie
Description:

72. Hawthorn - Dean Kent (Midfielder)
Height: 178cm
Club: Perth
Description: Kent is another of those small tough inside midfielders who thrive on the contested ball. Personally feel if he lasts till late 2nd round he could be a bargain for those teams contending as he could come in and have an instant impact. Is a very good and long kick of the footy. Averaging up around 25 possies a game this season in the Colts and is capable of hitting the scoreboard as well. Doesn’t get huge tackle numbers but that could be a product of him being Perth’s best midfielder. Also tends to kick when he sometimes should handball and yesterday is probably a perfect example of this with 27k, 3hb 0tackles. Good player already though and still got plenty to improve on so there is upside for such a small player.

73. Melbourne - Daniel Nicholson (Rookie Elevation)

74. Melbourne - Michael Evans (Rookie Elevation)

75. Carlton - Zac Tuohy (Rookie Elevation)

76. St.Kilda - Ben Saunders (Forward)
Club:
Description:

77. North Melbourne - Aaron Mullett (Rookie Elevation)

78. Geelong - Jason Ashby (Utility)
Weight:
Description:

79. Fremantle - Clancee Pearce (Rookie Elevation)

80. West Coast - Brad Dick (Rookie Elevation)

81. Collingwood - Marley Williams (Rookie Elevation)

82. Hawthorn - Will Hams (Midfielder/Defender)
Description:

83. Port Adelaide - Sean Gregory (KPD)
Height: 197cm
Weight: 79kg
Description:

84. Gold Coast - Kyal Horsley (Rookie Elevation)

85. Western Bulldogs - Dean Terlich (Utility)
Height:
Weight:
Description:

86. Port Adelaide - Darren Pfeiffer (Rookie Elevation)

87. Brisbane - Niall McKeever (Rookie Elevation)

88. Richmond - Brad Hartman (Forward)

89. Carlton - Levi Casboult (Rookie Elevation)

90. St.Kilda - Sam Dunell (Rookie Elevation)

91. Geelong - Jesse Stringer (Rookie Elevation)

92. Collingwood - Caolon Mooney (Rookie Elevation)

93. Hawthorn - Daniel Currie (Ruckman)
Height: 200cm
Weight: 97kg
Club: North Adelaide

94. Sydney - Harrison Marsh (Midfielder)
Range: 25-60
Description: A really nice sized midfielder who unfortunately played as a key defender for most if not all of the under 18's championships. Really would have liked to have seen a midfield consisting of a combination of Marsh, Lowrie, Martin and Kent at some point throughout the Champs so was a little disappointed but oh well what can you do? Not a huge ball winner at this stage but that will come as he develops. I doubt him playing out of position will hurt his draft chances too much.

95. Western Bulldogs - Tom Campbell (Rookie Elevation)

96. Port Adelaide - Shane Nelson (Midfielder)
Club: West Perth
Description:

97. Brisbane - Jack Crisp (Rookie Elevation)

98. Richmond - Liam Byrne (Midfielder)
Height:
Weight:
Description:

99. Carlton - Ed Curnow (Rookie Elevation)

100. Sydney - Jackson Ramsay (Defender)
Height: 181cm
Weight:
Club:
Description:

101. Western Bulldogs - Jason Johanissen (Rookie Elevation)

102. Sydney - Ben Kearns (Midfielder/Forward)
Description:

I see for the first three picks you have given the Saints two KPF and a KPD. You must think our ruck and midfield dont need any help then?

I see for the first three picks you have given the Saints two KPF and a KPD. You must think our ruck and midfield dont need any help then?
KPP's take longer to develop than midfielders, and McEvoy and Stanley can hold their own if they don't get injured. You've got no one apart from rookies (Archer, Staley, Lever) and Wilkes (26) to take those KPP positions. You have Gilbert I suppose, but he'll be turning 26 this year, and he's not the greatest player.

You guys definitely need some young KPP's. You can get midfielders any time.

Pretty much for the reasons Igloo gave above. If you guys have a mass exodus of Montagna, Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard then yeah you will need mids but I don't see that happening. At the moment I think you need a big KPD which could be Howson or Jaksch. Long term you need replacements for Riewoldt and Kosi. These guys will take 2-4 years to really get cracking as forwards and could really benefit from learning from Riewoldt.

I could be wrong but I think you have some good young mids in Steven, Armitage, Cripps, Ross, Milera, Newnes etc. You could probably pick up another one later in the draft anyway. I actually originally had you with Vlastuin, McBean and O'Brien but changed it because I've heard McBean will go first round. With a number of teams needing KPP I have you guys jumping in first to get the best one.
If you were to go in the direction of mids I'd be looking at Vlastuin/O'Rourke in the first, Hrovat in the 2nd or Lynch in the 3rd if he lasts that far.

With regards to rucks I only see Grundy as worthy in the first 3 rounds and probably ND plus McBean/Daniher who are pinch-hitters. I tend to think St.Kilda will pick up a ruck through either a trade or Free Agency.

Interesting to see you've included Verrier in this mock, but no Chalmers or Antonio, who have had pretty good years for West Perth. Also rate Kent and Rodda high. Top effort.

12. North Melbourne - Sam Colquhoun (Defender/Midfielder)
Description: Colquhoun is a very skilful small defender/midfielder. Very rarely misses a target and would be a guy who you could trust with the kick-outs from day one. Not sold on him being a guaranteed 1st rounder at this stage. Have question marks on his ball winning ability as a midfielder and would like to see him play a bit more midfield. (Possibly just me not seeing him play games there as opposed to him not doing it?) Very composed and always has time to make the right decision so it should translate pretty well to being an AFL level midfielder. Not overly big so may take some time putting on some weight to be AFL ready.

Doubt it.

Well done, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see you've included Verrier in this mock, but no Chalmers or Antonio, who have had pretty good years for West Perth. Also rate Kent and Rodda high. Top effort.
Verrier was more because I wanted another bigger mid in the mix and maybe my Richmond bias coming in. Chalmers I think will be a late ND or rookie pick. Do you think he has any real special attributes? I'll be honest my WA knowledge is less than the other 2 big states. Haven't even seen highlights of Antonio let alone a full game. Thanks for the feedback.
Tiggy Wigs! Fantastic effort mate. Well done. Like the Tigers picks as well.
Thanks Toady. I'm not sure if we will get a crack at MacRae tbh. Think he may go around 20. Shame.

A lot depends on whether we get the Boak trade over the line, and believe me, we are players.

I think we'll go for the best available safe bet midfielder, then a small forward and a ruckman.

I like the Kid Prowse from the Chargers as a value pick.

A lot depends on whether we get the Boak trade over the line, and believe me, we are players.

I think we'll go for the best available safe bet midfielder, then a small forward and a ruckman.

I like the Kid Prowse from the Chargers as a value pick.
If you get Boak you won't have that pick anyway. :p

Safe bet would be Vlastuin if those are the players available. It's hard to know your needs because you seem to have a lot of ok players in the ressies and not a whole heap of complete spuds so its hard to guess who will be delisted from an outsiders perspective and where you need to replace players.

like our first and second round selections. obviously this bloke <<, and jesse lonergan with the sam connection. top work tigs
Good pick up. Didn't even think of that. Was more trying to give you a big-bodied inside mid who can contribute early on seems you're looking pretty close to being in contention and considering you went for Caddy last year. Maybe I'm subconsciously onto something though :p

If you get Boak you won't have that pick anyway. :p

Safe bet would be Vlastuin if those are the players available. It's hard to know your needs because you seem to have a lot of ok players in the ressies and not a whole heap of complete spuds so its hard to guess who will be delisted from an outsiders perspective and where you need to replace players.

I tend to agree mate.

We have Brad McKenzie and Luke McDonald joining MacMillan, Atley and Bastinac as run and carry/behind the ball playmakers and Cunnington should be right by next season to join the inside mids.

Unfortunately Levi Greenwood has dropped right away this season, so I figure another pure midfielder is on the cards.

Matt Campbell is looking less likely in the long term, and Boomer is getting on, which leaves us pretty bare with only Lindsay Thomas in the small forward department.

Ruckwise, people tend to think we are rich, but after Todd and Hamish we next have Majak who will never be a pure AFL ruckman, only a second stringer/forward, and the talented but waaaaay undersized Ben Mabon, who development wise is still two years away, if he ever actually fills out adequately at all.

We have plenty of KPP, so I can't see us going there unless an offer that is too good to refuse presents itself.

The flanker types are also well stocked.

14. Carlton - Nick Vlastuin (Midfielder)
Description: Vlastuin is a real hard nut inside midfielder.
Exactly what we need, would love to find one in this draft.

Good job too, good to see more people having a go at phantoms on here, much appreciated :thumbsu:

Great work mate! Not sure about plowman though, I think knowing Neelds love for ball winners we'd go Viney and Wines. Kennedy is an interesting one, would love him at the Dee's, but if Stringer is still there I'd be pretty tempted to take the punt on him at P13 having banked low risk options in Viney and Wines prior.

Not sure on the order though, bit harsh on the doggies. Melbourne would have to win another 4 games without them winning another game, let alone us getting past Port. Just can't see it happening.

Great work mate! Not sure about plowman though, I think knowing Neelds love for ball winners we'd go Viney and Wines. Kennedy is an interesting one, would love him at the Dee's, but if Stringer is still there I'd be pretty tempted to take the punt on him at P13 having banked low risk options in Viney and Wines prior.

Not sure on the order though, bit harsh on the doggies. Melbourne would have to win another 4 games without them winning another game, let alone us getting past Port. Just can't see it happening.

As I said I put Plowman in there because a couple of Dees supporters have said you will take him at that 2nd pick which I have as pick 7 which he is certainly worthy of and I see him long term as a potential midfielder. Wouldn't take him if you finish where you are now though. Kennedy would give you an instant bit of class in the forward line before an eventual push to the midfield.

May have been over-estimating you guys and I did this order before yesterday where you guys weren't overly skilful but I thought you at least had a red-hot crack. From memory I have you down for wins over GC and GWS as well as I think you do quite well against PA in Darwin. That would give you 5 wins and I think I gave you a 6th over Freo (the home game) maybe which depends on which Freo show up. As for the Doggies they'll be underdogs in all their games although I'm sure they'll win one of them. I mean I already tipped 2 games wrong this week so god knows in 8 weeks time.

Exactly what we need, would love to find one in this draft.

Good job too, good to see more people having a go at phantoms on here, much appreciated :thumbsu:

Be a handy helper for Judd and help fill the void when he eventually retires. Not that you will cover him with a pick 14 no matter how good the draft. If draft pans out the way I have it then you will have a choice of Vlastuin or Stringer. Not a bad result for the Blues.

Don't think menzel will last unti pick 24, but if he is a slider he would be perfect at Richmond. Also think Kennedy is hard to pass up. Hoping due to his size he will slide to the second round but highly doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back