to Boo or not to Boo, that is the question?

Will you boo/jeer/hiss/bronx cheer Lance Franklin on Saturday Night?

• Yes

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 73 51.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things - first of all have we ever booed Kennedy or McGlynn? and they went there without the lure of huge $ (which most of us would take if we are being honest)

Second - Does anyone remember 2008? If you did you will remember one of the best seasons any football club has ever had - Buddy kicked 113.88 roughy kicked 80+ and a young team with a few old stagers pulled off one of the great grand final wins. Buddy has thrilled us for 10 years.

Third - The more you give him the more it will fire him up - so by venting your anger you are going to make it harder for our team on the ground.

Finally the Buddy sideshow shouldn't distract any of us from the glittering prize that awaits at the end of this year - If we win the flag this year it will be the single greatest AFL triumph ever. We still still have a shot so Go YOU MIGHTY FIGHTING HAWKS

Good on him. But he lied and dogged the club. Thats unforgivable. I will give him what he deserves. I like Burguoynes comments that we should show him respect......?? What just like Port Adelaide show him respect when we play them. C'mon Shaun!!

I personally think that a good hiss is better than a boo.

Closeup-of-angry-hissing-cat.jpg

Good on him. But he lied and dogged the club. Thats unforgivable. I will give him what he deserves. I like Burguoynes comments that we should show him respect......?? What just like Port Adelaide show him respect when we play them. C'mon Shaun!!
Unless I'm mistaken port Adelaide let Burgoyne go because he had dodgy knees.....anyway they didn't really put up a big fight. Completely different scenario to buddy.

I think sometimes people forget the theatre of football and that players know this. If Buddy gets booed do you think he will really care? He might even find it funny. He is great to watch no matter who he plays for but GODDAMN I hope he has a stinker this Satdee - he loves playing at the G.

I loved what Buddy gave the Hawks over the years. He was awesome but big characters like him draw attention and I won't chastise Hawthorn supporters for booing him.

Will I boo? Only if he does something rough to one of our players or something (which is likely).

Same.

And if he sooks, plays for frees, cheats or takes a cheap shot at a Hawk.

I'd boo him but as much for the theatre of it and to make it an inhospitable environment as anything. I feel sorry for the Hawks supporters who still have real venom for the Bud.

Gibbo and Gunner did the same thing if you ask North or Adelaide. So I think you take the good with the bad. The bloke is a legend of the footy club.

The difference being that both North AND Adelaide were adequately compensated with either draft picks and/or players (sorry, my memory fails me).
Lance, $hitney & the complicit puppeteers at the AFL made sure that nothing of the sort happened to Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can hear it now
Darcy "don't understand why hawk fans are booing buddy - not a good look from the family club. Fans should remember what he did for this club"

I couldn't be bothered booing, such a pointless exercise. He is just somebody that we used to know.

I think it would show how classy we are as a club if we did not lower ourselves to Boo a 2 time premiership player.I will not be at the game as i can not stand seeing Buddy in different colours and if i was i would not be booing our ex-champ.If it is good enough for the players and the club to not want us to Boo Bud then i think we should all be better than the pathetic actions of booing, i would prefer if we clapped him.I still love him but i cannot watch him yet!!!!!!!

I think it would show how classy we are as a club if we did not lower ourselves to Boo a 2 time premiership player.I will not be at the game as i can not stand seeing Buddy in different colours and if i was i would not be booing our ex-champ.If it is good enough for the players and the club to not want us to Boo Bud then i think we should all be better than the pathetic actions of booing, i would prefer if we clapped him.I still love him but i cannot watch him yet!!!!!!!

Well you sit back and clap him from your lounge room or wherever you are watching the game. I for one will not be clapping a blatant liar and traitor. I'll clap him off the ground after a loss...

Well you sit back and clap him from your lounge room or wherever you are watching the game. I for one will not be clapping a blatant liar and traitor. I'll clap him off the ground after a loss...

It's easy to forget that while for us it's a passion for them it's essentially a job.

How many people would turn down a 10 million dollar, nine year contract in our own jobs for fear of our old colleagues thinking of us as liars and traitors?

I hate Sydney, but I can't begrudge him personally.

Of course he'll be booed. It would be extremely naive to think he won't be.

Tomorrow night it doesn't matter what he did for us before, and yes after he's retired, we all welcome him back as a Hawk Premiership hero.
BUT...Right now, he isn't wearing Brown & Gold!...Right now, he's part of a team standing in our way!..Right now, he isn't "ALWAYS HAWTHORN"!!!!!!

I will Boo him when he gets near the ball then in the same play when he picks up the ball...ducks around 3 players and kicks a goal from 60 I will stand and applaud. It's all in the spirit of the game. Still love the big Bud

I dunno, I think booing Buddy kinda lacks class. Sure he left for big bucks, but he also helped in getting us 2 Premierships and that has to count for something. Players leave sometimes, he more than did his service to the club in my mind though.

Additionally, watching Gunston get booed by Adelaide made the supporter base look like a laughing stock - unable to move on. Please don't make us look the same as that mob.

The issue isn't that he left for the dollars. The thing that stings people is the way in which he went about things. The fact that he went to Sydney before the confetti had settled after they beat us in 2012 and inquired about playing for them is what people can't forgive.

As for not working with the Hawks to make a deal with the Swans, I can understand that in as much as it had to play out the way it did in order for him to get the deal done. Still, people have cause to feel betrayed.

While Buddy's actions don't take away from what he did for this great club, nor do his Hawthorn years blanket walking out on us the way he did.

Last edited:
I have been told that Hawks fans need to get over it and not boo him because what he did for Hawthorn.

But I think we have to get over the fact that he played for Hawthorn as he does not.
He plays for Sydney now.

We owe him nothing, when he retires and then he can go back to being a Hawthorn legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back