to Boo or not to Boo, that is the question?

Will you boo/jeer/hiss/bronx cheer Lance Franklin on Saturday Night?

• Yes

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 73 51.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As they say, your either with us or agin us, he is now the enemy.
He should be booed and tormented with his deciet for ever more. I am not bitter about him leaving for money and love, they are both hard to resist. But everything Procrastinator wrote a few posts back holds true to me.
The deciet, the dodgy supension before we played them, smelled like a rat, that he didn't help the club get some recompence shits me and he has gone to a competitor for continued glory, not just money and love. I booed louder and longer than I thought I would, it was fing cathartic.

His poor kicking in the 2012 GF that is just Buddy I recon.

I can.

See Procrastinator35's post above for reasons why. I wish the entire crowd had done it. Buddy is an emotional fellow, and he clearly loved his time at Hawthorn, but the manner of his departure was pure dog, and if reminding him of it makes his aim at goals that little bit more shaky then I'm all for it.

When I thought he was going to GWS I swore I'd never boo him. When I found out the truth I swore I would, and boo I did. There was certainly quite a few in the members who did not, and I appreciate their view point too. He certainly brought a lot of enjoyment when wearing the brown and gold, but now he is gone - in what is perhaps one of the most treacherous footy departures I can recall - and while I can still marvel at what he can do on the field, he is no longer Hawthorn, and we should continue to remind him of that.
I found the 'facing away from the ground' action to be pretty childish, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I also don't think Buddy would have given a flying f*ck about that sort of thing, or the boos, and wouldn't have put him off.

Sure, I was initially miffed that he left to go to Sydney, but ultimately did his actions hurt the club (thinking list management)? In all honesty, I think we're a better team, in terms of structure, without him. The club was also smart to not pay any price to keep him (assuming they could have), for which I'm also glad. Suggesting that the manner of his departure was a 'dog act', among other things that have been said in this thread, falls too much into the 'jilted lover' zone. Footy's got a lot of emotion, but let's not go overboard.

I found the 'facing away from the ground' action to be pretty childish, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I also don't think Buddy would have given a flying f*ck about that sort of thing, or the boos, and wouldn't have put him off.

I doubt that. Like I said, Franklin has shown in public he had a lot of emotion around leaving, have a look at his tears after the 2013 flag win. In games where franklin has kicked more than 1 goal this year, he has only kicked more points than goals twice - both against Hawthorn. You don't think playing his old team had anything to do with that, and having his old fans booing him doesn't sit uncomfortably in his head when he comes into goal? His scoring stats says Hawthorn games get in his head, I can only hope the booing helps that. Given his accuracy against other teams this year, a case could even be made that the booing helped us win the game :) Longer term of course the impact will be lessened, and he may well use it to fire him up.

Sure, I was initially miffed that he left to go to Sydney, but ultimately did his actions hurt the club (thinking list management)?

Yes, when looked at from a total impact. He is playing for a fellow flag contender, and without him dragging them over the line in several games it is questionable they would even be top 4 right now. That hurts us.

In all honesty, I think we're a better team, in terms of structure, without him.

Yes, our forward line was so strong, it was the area of the ground we could most afford to lose a super star from. I'd rather still have him in the side though, and I think saying otherwise is also 'jilted lover' syndrome from the 'well he/she was never that good anyway' point of view.

The club was also smart to not pay any price to keep him (assuming they could have), for which I'm also glad.

Agreed.

Suggesting that the manner of his departure was a 'dog act', among other things that have been said in this thread, falls too much into the 'jilted lover' zone. Footy's got a lot of emotion, but let's not go overboard.

If you can't get outraged when arguably the most exciting player of his generation leaves the club that drafted , developed, and embraced him (off field antics and all) over nearly a 10 year period, walking out on your club just before the season that would have made him a 200 game player, and leaving for a club he started negotiating with just after they beat his side in a grand final, then really I think you've become a little dead inside. Yes, a lot of the reaction is in the 'jilted lover' zone, and so it should be. The supporters loved buddy, and he didn't just go and * our best friend, he sought out , and hopped into bed with an arch rival, and then organized the deal so we got practically nothing in the divorce settlement. Hyperbole? Probably. Dog act? Definitely.

Last edited:

There exists a clear discrepancy betwixt the Poll result at the top of this thread & what actually transpired last night.....Conclusion: Piss off $hitme Flogs!

3 Goals 5 Behinds might suggest otherwise sport!....As for caring about Hawthorn supporters opinions, we all know full well where he lies in this respect!

Sure, I was initially miffed that he left to go to Sydney, but ultimately did his actions hurt the club (thinking list management)? In all honesty, I think we're a better team, in terms of structure, without him. The club was also smart to not pay any price to keep him (assuming they could have), for which I'm also glad. Suggesting that the manner of his departure was a 'dog act', among other things that have been said in this thread, falls too much into the 'jilted lover' zone. Footy's got a lot of emotion, but let's not go overboard.

The clear answer is YES, as we were fully duded in so far as compensation was concerned & he has strengthened a rival team & weakened our own into the bargain!....This answer should be bleeding obvious & your opinion here strikes one as rather naïve to say the least!

His departure & the clandestine manner & way in which it was conducted was nothing less than 'A DOGS ACT' No more, No less!...Including the team of his destination & the actions of Buddy leading up to said departure in hindsight against said club!

It's one thing to assume the morally superior perspective, yet another to carry it off when the facts suggest the diametrically opposite to them & only serve to expose your position as one of Naiveté!

One things for sure, we wont be having him back like the cats seem to think gazza will do.

You go for the moolah, you cant expect to come bak late or post career and ba the hometown hero with all the opportunities andd connections

Enjoy the AFLs money Lance. You deceitful campaigner
I knew we were fine when they kept kicking it high to him expecting him yo take a mark. I was more disappointed in Gibbo getting done out the back. He should know the seagull's antics better than most.

I will admit to giving a bit of a boo to the old bud.

But I was more happier hearing the amount of boos (in my area at least) that Goodes got. There is a genuine hatred of Sydney and all they stand for.

Me and my mate said we would once or twice then get over it...

But as soon as he came anywhere close we were up and about throwing all sorts of comments his way...

And it felt great!

As others have said, I have no problem with Buddy leaving. Hell I don't even have a problem with him going to the Swans. He has a short shelf life in the game and he's not going to have a media career after so he needs to grab it while he can - he could do his knee tomorrow and that's it, game over so I don't begrudge the man for looking after his future, especially after all the good memories he gave us.

What I do have a problem with is the way it went down. There's a difference between the Swans coming to Buddy and saying "here's a lot of coin" and Buddy directing Pickering to sound out the Swans specifically, two weeks after the Grand Final loss. That showed that Buddy didn't think of the Hawks fans the same way they thought of him - and that hurt.

And we're done.

For the moment (pending whether Hawthorn plays Sydney again this season).

Feel free to continue discussing all things Lance Franklin in the Franklin Mint thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back