UFC 109 - Relentless

Remove this Banner Ad

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - I'll go with Couture by decision but this will be much closer than most are expecting, Fedor and Cro Cop are the only fighters to ever really rip Coleman apart
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - wouldn't surprise me if Sonnen gets himself subbed, if he doesn't do anything stupid though he's a chance to take out a decision
Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Thiago completes the set of AKA fights here, hope he takes this as Swick kind of bugs me for some reason but I'll go with Swick by decision
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - Miller's a dangerous grappler but Maia has him covered easily, rear naked sub win
Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - Serra by TKO

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Danzig by sub
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - bit of a guess, Torres has a bit of hype on him so I'll go with Melvin doing something stupid and getting subbed.
Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs Rob Emerson - Nover by decision, the loser is probably getting cut here
Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - not sure on this one, Davis is a prospect who trains with Vera's camp but he's not very experienced.
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs Chris Tuchscherer - another guess, seen pretty much zero offense from either fighter in their UFC careers, loser is probably getting cut
Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - have to go the Gracie, Beltran's coming off a TKO stoppage of Houston Alexander though so he could be a tough challenge

The fight I wanna see most on this card is Serra vs Trigg. Serra's a funny bloke and I'd love to see him beat Trigg with a rear naked choke.

Hopefully Marquardt can put Sonnen to sleep with another big KO.

Rolles Gracie should be interesting to watch, even though he's being fed a victory for his first fight. Looking at Beltran's record it seems that Rolles has to avoid the early punches and take it down fast.

do they show the undercard on main event aswell or only the main card?

would the prelim fights be starting earlier than the 2pm scheduled start time on main event?

cheers

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - I've got a feeling about this. But I really have no interest in watching this fight.
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - Sonnen's doing his best to make everyone root against him so I will. Marquardt to sub him or hopefully KO in the 2nd.
Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Swick should win this. I rate Thiago though, I don't think it'll be a walkover. Decision
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - I see this going somewhere between the Sonnen and McDonald fights. Miller probably won't put up quite the fight McDonald did but he won't be made to look amateur like Sonnen. Sub 2nd.
Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - I think they might spend a lot of time standing and Serra's heavy hands will get him the KO late in the first.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Danzig desperately needs this and he should get it by sub in the first.
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - I'm not sure why I'd pick Guillard but I am and I'll probably regret it.
Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs Rob Emerson - Nover looked like he could be anything during TUF and he should win a decision here. He can't take Emerson lightly though, look what he did to Gamburyan.
Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - Stann's the man. KO in the first.
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs Chris Tuchscherer - Hague was embarrassed by Duffee last time out but I think he's the better fighter here.
Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - Rolles clearly getting a warm-up here which he'll win by sub in the first.

They should air this whole thing on free-to-air

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - If I was a betting man, I'd be putting money on coleman, as I think he's a 4-1 underdog and he clearly has a better shot that than. The more I see it though, the more I favour Randy in the later rounds. This fight is a decision either way, and I could see Coleman take the first, but Randy push the pace as high as possible and really gas Coleman out in the last couple of rounds.
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - Sonnen's a classic troll, and I kind of get his humour, but he's not getting over Nate.
Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Going the slight 'upset' here. Paulo is a great fighter, and I think he can get the fight to the ground where he'll have the advantage or use his power standing to do more damage on the feet or TKO swick. Swick took this fight on short notice also, 20 days I think. Swick's best chance IMO is to stick and move an keep light on his feet to earn a decision via technical striking. I'm taking Paulo.
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - Miller will be wise to keep this standing and KO Maia. I could actually see that happening, but my money is on the sub or decision as Dan Miller is a great grappler, but not as good as Maia.
Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - Another one against the grain. I see Triggs extra size and wrestling + GnP stifling and grinding Serra for a Decision.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Danzig
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - Last chance Melvin.
Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs Rob Emerson - Nover, but Emerson aint no slouch.
Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - Stann
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs Chris Tuchscherer - Tuchscherer is tough, but other than that, pretty much useless.
Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - sub

Hey guys, just letting you know that last night I found out the UFC 110 in Sydney will be broudcast LIVE and FREE on ONE and ONEHD, awesomee

Hey guys, just letting you know that last night I found out the UFC 110 in Sydney will be broudcast LIVE and FREE on ONE and ONEHD, awesomee

Yeah it starts at 1pm EST on the Sunday (so it beams into the US during prime time).

I will be ring side so keep your eyes out for the drunk guy in a tap-out tee-shirt - that will be me.

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - Coleman will push Couture all the way. Couture will try and keep it standing because they are much more evenly matched on the ground. I read somewhere that Couture and Coleman actually duked it out in an amateur wrestling tournament back in the 80's - Coleman won that match by a point - so there you go.
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - Nate is a tough bastard. Hard to look past him in my book.
Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Thiago by submission.
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - I think this will be a stalemate that will probably go to decision. No clear winner.
Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - Hopefully Serra. For who ever loses it will probably be curtains on the UFC.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Both fighters coming of losses. I will back Bucholz but only because Danzig is a tool.
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - Melvin Guillard.
Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs Rob Emerson - Nover by submission.
Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - Pass
Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - This supposed to be an easy debut for Gracie. Having said that Beltran was thrown this fight at the last minute - and probably feels like he has very little to lose. His last fight was only 1 month ago so Beltran's conditioning should not be a problem.

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - Couture sure to win this showdown between the two old-timers, simply because his cardio is better. It'll probably go the three rounds and unfortunately be a boring fight.
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - Really looking forward to this fight between two quality middleweights. Winner deserves a crack at Anderson Silva. I've been very impressed with Marquardt since he lost his first title shot so I have to tip him here.
Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Two pretty decent welterweights, but I thought Thiago was a bit sloppy in his fight against Volkmann so I'm going to tip Swick to bounce back with a KO.
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - Presumably Maia will learn from getting KOed by Marquardt. And when it goes down to the ground you know the result will be just a formality.
Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - Serra a bit too good, wins by TKO

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Danzig needs this, wins by sub
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - "bit of a guess, Torres has a bit of hype on him so I'll go with Melvin doing something stupid and getting subbed". (x2!)
Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs Rob Emerson - Nover by sub
Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - I'm guessing the more experienced Stann.
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs Chris Tuchscherer - I'm going for Hague. The so-called gentle giant has to have some ability in there somewhere.
Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - Beltran by TKO

do they show the undercard on main event aswell or only the main card?

would the prelim fights be starting earlier than the 2pm scheduled start time on main event?

cheers

can one of you help with my query? :)

never ordered ufc on main event so not sure how it works with the undercard etc...is it shown?

can one of you help with my query? :)

never ordered ufc on main event so not sure how it works with the undercard etc...is it shown?

They don't show the prelims, only the main card. But if a few of the fights on the main card end quickly, they'll show one or more of the prelim fights that were filmed earlier in order to fill the time. Sometimes they'll show a prelim fight after the main event if that ends quickly as well.

They don't show the prelims, only the main card. But if a few of the fights on the main card end quickly, they'll show one or more of the prelim fights that were filmed earlier in order to fill the time. Sometimes they'll show a prelim fight after the main event if that ends quickly as well.

thanks mate, appreciate it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, Chael Sonnen was super impressive. Absolutely dominated Nate with his wrestling and really delivered some good punishment from on top. Nate just had no answer, but damn he's a tough bastard, still pushed as hard as possible from his back right to the last 10 seconds of the bout.

Couture v Coleman
When did the UFC start holding seniors bouts?
What next Tank v Royce?

a load of crap, break out the walking frames.
coleman say's he thinks 'he was a little slow tonight'. have you ever watched grass grow? he was about that slow:thumbsdown:

a load of crap, break out the walking frames.
coleman say's he thinks 'he was a little slow tonight'. have you ever watched grass grow? he was about that slow:thumbsdown:

I agree - I have liked Coleman in the past but he needs to think about a career change - well maybe after 1 more fight - Ortiz. Not sure what Ortiz said to him on the way out but Mark did not like it. Dropped the F bomb a couple of times on the mic.

Serra's KO was nice. Love that guy.

Maia's striking has definitely improved but his footwork has a long way to go. He was off balance a lot during the exchanges and looked like his legs were tangled at times.

Paulo Thiago is a genuine contender. Extremely well rounded with power in those hands and an excellent ground game. I think if he wins his next fight he deserves a title shot.

Sonnen (R) was very impressive. Looks like he's really adjusted himself since the loss to Maia and I reckon Sonnen (R) would walk through him if they had a rematch. Marquardt had no answers and was completely out played. He's a sharp guy and will be back even better though.

Couture vs Coleman went as expected. Coleman really needs to retire. He looks like a geriatric. Glad he gave a serve to Tito though. Ortiz just makes himself look like a dick by mouthing off at a geriatric whilst walking through the crowd.

Rolles Gracie WTF?!?!?! WORST. PERFORMANCE. EVER. I was actually laughing through the whole fight. Nobody expected that. It was like Paul Varelans made a comeback. Actually he was worse than Varelans. Rolles must be the "special-ed" member of the Gracie family who was given a black belt so he wouldn't feel left out at family gatherings. If that's how seriously he takes being a mixed martial artist, it makes you wonder how seriously he takes his bjj? He's going to cop even more s**t for giving Rashad a McDojo black belt now.

How to Prepare for a UFC Fight 101 by Rolles Gracie:
Phase 1: Hit a few pads.
Phase 2: Go for a jog.
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Profit.

Surely when the UFC signed Renzo he must've been like,
"OK but only if you take my little cousin too. He's a sweet kid but his mother's sick of him sitting at home and wants him to get out of the house sometimes".

Serra's KO was nice. Love that guy.

Maia's striking has definitely improved but his footwork has a long way to go. He was off balance a lot during the exchanges and looked like his legs were tangled at times.

Paulo Thiago is a genuine contender. Extremely well rounded with power in those hands and an excellent ground game. I think if he wins his next fight he deserves a title shot.

Sonnen (R) was very impressive. Looks like he's really adjusted himself since the loss to Maia and I reckon Sonnen (R) would walk through him if they had a rematch. Marquardt had no answers and was completely out played. He's a sharp guy and will be back even better though.

Couture vs Coleman went as expected. Coleman really needs to retire. He looks like a geriatric. Glad he gave a serve to Tito though. Ortiz just makes himself look like a dick by mouthing off at a geriatric whilst walking through the crowd.

Rolles Gracie WTF?!?!?! WORST. PERFORMANCE. EVER. I was actually laughing through the whole fight. Nobody expected that. It was like Paul Varelans made a comeback. Actually he was worse than Varelans. Rolles must be the "special-ed" member of the Gracie family who was given a black belt so he wouldn't feel left out at family gatherings. If that's how seriously he takes being a mixed martial artist, it makes you wonder how seriously he takes his bjj? He's going to cop even more s**t for giving Rashad a McDojo black belt now.

How to Prepare for a UFC Fight 101 by Rolles Gracie:
Phase 1: Hit a few pads.
Phase 2: Go for a jog.
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Profit.

Surely when the UFC signed Renzo he must've been like,
"OK but only if you take my little cousin too. He's a sweet kid but his mother's sick of him sitting at home and wants him to get out of the house sometimes".

is ufc becoming bloated and a parody of itself:(
surely the coleman/couture has given it a blackeye.
dana must be holding his head in his hands crying and wondering how he could have been talked into that f*ckup. But then again the only thing that would have spoken to him would have been money.

dana must be holding his head in his hands crying and wondering how he could have been talked into that f*ckup. But then again the only thing that would have spoken to him would have been money.

The next few months are gonna be awesome though. Starting with UFC 110 we've got great pay per views and free cards coming up :thumbsu:

Once again I agree - Coleman/Couture was a main event 10 years ago. Not now. The fight gave nothing to the sport and a main event should.

I think it was also ordinary of Ortiz. It is not tough having a go at a legend that had just got a hiding and would have been feeling ordinary after that display.

in the Countdown show coleman just wanted the fight to be over so he can see his kids again, IMO he wasnt wanting to gove it his all, he didnt seem hyped for his fight. they should of had there fight when the UFC sent Chuck over to Pride for the 2003 GP

Randy looked as good as you really could against the Coleman that showed up. No idea why Coleman didn't try once to put Randy on his back as he wasn't going win a standup battle. I'd do a Coleman/Tito if (when) Tito loses to Chuck but Dana didn't sound interested in the idea at all, even though Tito is so washed up now that Coleman could hang with him.

Sonnen and Marquardt was a fantastic battle, Nate showed a ton of heart and managed to do some damage despite being on his back for the first two rounds. The last minute was as dramatic as it gets.

Trigg's done as a top-level fighter, he could probably still compete against low-level guys outside the UFC but I don't know if his ego could handle that.

Maia's fight was strange to see play out, don't think many expected him to win the first two rounds on the feet but Miller was too scared to throw anything lest he get taken down, yet when he finally was taken down he did a fine job of negating Maia and keeping him in the guard.

Awesome win for Thiago, the ending came out of nowhere and was my highlight of the card. Swick's in a tough spot now after dropping two straight fights and with Kos and Fitch at the top of division, hard to see him being near contender status again, plus he almost looks sickly at 170, maybe a move back up to middleweight is needed?

Davis had a good debut, in a couple of years with some finishing skills and better standup he should be in the mix. His physique is almost as absurd as Overeem's too.

Embarrassing debut for Rolles, I hope for his sake it was just a massive adrenaline dump and not that he's in worse shape than everyone on the TUF 10 cast. Gracies are at least normally known for having cardio and being tough to finish, Rolles gassed two minutes in and then looked for a way out after that.

This is a sport - Not professional wrestling.

This gives no more of a black eye to the UFC than not having a blockbuster match in any given round of the season gives the AFL a black eye. You can't just artificially make every card great when you're putting on a show every month and you only have 5 champions. Sometimes, those champions aren't going to be able to be booked, and you're going to end up with something else.

Overally, it was actually a reasonably deep card, IMO, with Serra/Trigg, Maia/Miller, Thiago/Swick and Sonnen/Marquardt all quite good as undercard fights. It was an underwhelming main event, but as an organisation, putting two HOFers in the twilight of their careers on the card in their last opportunity to face each other isn't exactly the embarrassment that you make it out to be.

Maybe it wasn't the exciting fight that MMA purists might have preferred, but there's nothing wrong with those two guys fighting each other after all this time, and after everything they've done, you wouldn't make it the undercard.

Davis looks a nice prospect. A lot to work with there. Pretty boring event overall though. Sonnen was good but I don't see him (or anyone else in that weak division) troublng Silva. Coleman's well and truly finished and Gracie made a fool of himself. I think that about sums it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back