UFC 109 - Relentless

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad 109 is out of the way, roll on 110!

Coleman :rolleyes: Time to go. He looked beyond awful in there. lol @ Tito mouthing off to him post fight from the crowd, he can't help himself. They were supposed to fight before but Coleman injured and Tito fought Forrest instead, I really really do not need to see that fight though. Tito/Chuck 3 is bad enough. I have no interest in seeing Tito fight anymore senior citizens or people named Chuck or Forrest.

Good KO by Serra. Great win by Thiago, don't like Swick at all. Sonnen fought aswell as he talked pre-fight, good win.

Overall, very meh. Bring on Sydney!

LOL Rogan from the prelims. Start it at 0:30 after the ad for ufc 110

[youtube]X9IfSOxqC2I[/youtube]

Post-109 cuts:

Mark Coleman (1-2 on his return)
Phillipe Nover (0-3 UFC)
Tim Hague (1-2 UFC)

Coleman was probably understandable, as everyone has mentioned he looked spent. Nover has gone from the TUF, great Philipino hope to a bust. Looks like he will be toiling in the minors and will need a good streak of wins to return. Hague just couldn't cut it. The Duffee KO didn't look good on his resume.

This is a sport - Not professional wrestling.

This gives no more of a black eye to the UFC than not having a blockbuster match in any given round of the season gives the AFL a black eye. You can't just artificially make every card great when you're putting on a show every month and you only have 5 champions. Sometimes, those champions aren't going to be able to be booked, and you're going to end up with something else.

Overally, it was actually a reasonably deep card, IMO, with Serra/Trigg, Maia/Miller, Thiago/Swick and Sonnen/Marquardt all quite good as undercard fights. It was an underwhelming main event, but as an organisation, putting two HOFers in the twilight of their careers on the card in their last opportunity to face each other isn't exactly the embarrassment that you make it out to be.

Maybe it wasn't the exciting fight that MMA purists might have preferred, but there's nothing wrong with those two guys fighting each other after all this time, and after everything they've done, you wouldn't make it the undercard.

I thought 109 was an excellent card.

There have been better - but as you say: some times a champ is going to be injured or unavailable - and aside you cant make the champ fight at every single event.

Part of what makes the UFC great IMO is the challengers fighting it out to see who gets a shot at the top dog. It would be boring if the same dudes were fighting week in week out.

Gutted Vitor is unable to fight... is there enough time for UFC to line up another challenger for a title fight?

On a similar note Martin Kampmann has pulled out of UFC 111 fight with Saunders following a training cut...

martin-kampmann-ufc-111-facial-cut.jpg

Ouch.

So that will make two title defense annihilations on the one card... barring a monumental error Silva will KO Maia inside the first round, and Frankie Edgar better hope he gets put to sleep relatively early or I have a feeling Penn will turn his face into mushy pulp too.

Pity Dan Henderson is gone, I think he would have provided a much better contest for Silva.

Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman - I have no idea how Coleman managed to beat Stephan Bonnar (I never saw that fight), but given that he did, you could understand the UFC making this fight the main event. But as I expected, Randy won it, it was a fizzer of a fight, and Coleman was embarrassed. I'm guessing Ortiz said something about Coleman's age. Maybe the truth hurts, but it was absolutely without class from Tito. "Anytime", said Coleman? Yeah, well, anytime you do Tito will make mincemeat out of you. Time to give it away, gramps.

Nate Marquardt vs Chael Sonnen - Like wow. I knew Sonnen was good, but certainly didn't expect him to dominate the way he did. Along with Clay Guida, he probably has the best cardio that I've seen from a fighter. It was a fantastic effort and based on that performance, I'm going to tip right here and now that Sonnen will become Middleweight champion. Brave, brave effort by Marquardt, but he was just monstered by a monster.

Mike Swick vs Paulo Thiago - Thiago was sloppy in his fight against Volkmann but we saw his best against Swick. Top performance. Agree that Swick should think about middleweight again.

Demian Maia vs Dan Miller - Really good analysis by you Ross. We didn't expect Maia to win via stand-up, but Miller's caution worked against him. Maia gets a title shot now, but it's hard to see him getting A. Silva on the mat and keeping him there. If he does though, he'll win.

Matt Serra vs Frank Trigg - Solid KO win by Serra. He can still carve out a decent living in the UFC. Trigg should probably stick with commentary.

Mac Danzig vs Justin Bucholz - Decent scrap. Danzig hardly overwhelming, but he'll get another fight in the UFC at least.

Melvin Guillard vs Ronys Torres - Really entertaining fight this one. I thought Torres was impressive in debut, so it was a pretty good scalp for Guillard.

Brian Stann vs Phil Davis - Phil Davis. Like wow. I'll remember that name. Another seriously good wrestler who could go a long way. Just dominated Stann.

Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran - Win by the Mexicutioner (and yeah, I love that name too). You were left thinking WTF? Obviously something happened with Gracie's cardio. He'll have to improve it by 2000% to compete at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gtyre, whats with the analysis 6 weeks after the fact? You got a 56K modem and it takes that long to download or something? ;)
It's a long, long story mate, and one I don't care to go into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back