UFC 112: Invincible

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn't he destroy Maia in 30 seconds? Surely that would prove his point much better than making a joke of everyone involved?

I almost thought this was Anderson's version of a **** you to Dana for giving him Maia to fight.

It was like a cat toying with a mouse and I think Anderson wanted to show everyone just how superior a fighter he was... and piss off Dana in the process. Absolutely disrespectful and irresponsible act though given the money punters fork out for PPVs like this.

First, it's Joe Silva who decides the match ups.

Second, did Anderson actually come out and name a particular opponent he wanted to fight and the UFC went "NO! SHUT UP YOU'RE FIGHTING MAIA"?

Third, who do you think the UFC should have given Anderson instead of Maia?

Yeah, for Belfort IIRC.

Silva is simply too good for anyone right now in the light heavy and middle weight division. His performance was pretty girly, but he must be so bored at the moment.

GSP will beat him if he cuts to 170, plainly because IMO the cut will hurt Silva badly.

Give him Toney, Anderson wants to box, so does James. Someones getting KO'd, Dana wins either way, Im sure he would like Silva to get his ass beat for 112, and He;d also like to shut Toney up on the other hand.

Gray and Kenny would be all smiles now that BJ isnt champ.

edit - also noticed silva didnt have his gloves inspected, noticed it when he entered the cage, checked sherdog and its blowin up on there too, no response from UFC yet though.

Why wouldn't he destroy Maia in 30 seconds? Surely that would prove his point much better than making a joke of everyone involved?

Exactly. Any other argument is just excuse making for Anderson.

Sure toy for a round or so, show off, but let it go to decision after 25 minutes!? And not even come CLOSE to finishing Maia? Even though *apparently* he could, at anytime, say his fans. Well F**king do it!

Pathetic.

I have lost a lot of respect for Anderson Silva after that disrespectful performance.

I think the UFC are hoping Shogun beats Machida convincingly because Anderson would be more eager to move up to 205 if his friend doesn't have the belt.

Maia was never going to win stand up - yet he barely made an attempt to take Silva down until the 5th round :confused:

Was he scared of getting hurt??

Silva is a ******* though. Worst UFC I have witnessed.

Here is how I see the wash-up from the "Anderson Silva debarkle":

Dana White knows that the current situation (of Silva being Middleweight champion) is untenable. The UFC is all about PPV sales - and the cold hard reality is that the UFC will not be able to have Anderson Silva headline another card for the foreseeable future. The fact is that it would be a PPV sales disaster for Ansderson Silva to headline another card and the UFC knows this.

Flowing from this, the UFC is now effectively functioning without a Middleweight title belt. It sounds extreme, but whilst Anderson Silva is the champion the UFC will not be able to use a title fight to headline a UFC card.

Therefore, Anderson Silva's position as Middleweight champion has become untenable. Dana cannot "strip" the title from Silva, but he will use financial pressure to achieve the same result:
(1) Dana White has already threatened to put Silva's next title defence on the undercard (the effect of this is that Anderson Silva (pfp one of the best mma fighters in the world) would be fighting for about 10k;
(2) Anderson Silva will refuse an undercard fight (for financial reasons) so Dana White will offer him a much more lucrative fight in a different weight division (in effect forcing silva to either cut to Welter or jump to light heavy);
(3) This will force Anderson Silva to abandon his Middleweight title, hence re-birthing the Middleweight division, and at the same time providing the UFC with a megafight involving Silva in a different weight class.

Some people are pushing for Anderson v GSP. I cant see why the UFC would be willing to take this risk. GSP is the UFC's most marketable fighter and they have pumped a s**t load into using his image for marketing. Why would they risk putting him up against Silva. Dana White can see the risks:
(1) Silva makes the cut successfully;
(2) Silva defeats GSP and takes the Welter crown;
(3) If GSP cannot defeat Silva at 170 then how the fcuck will anyone else in the Welterweight Division defeat him?
(4) UFC then left with Silva ruling the Welterweight division with no foreseeable challenger in sight, and then has the exact same problem that it currently has with Middleweight Division (but ten times worse).

So yeah, dont expect a Silva v GSP match up anytime soon guys. It is much more likely that:
(1) GSP will come up to Middleweight for the fight (note Dana White has concerns about the size difference for this); or
(2) the most likely situation, that Silva will be forced up to Light Heavy.

Silva at Light Heavy would be interesting. It is a deep talent pool and Silva would need to use his skills (no show boating) to overcome his size disadvantage.

As he's my favourite fighter I'm already rooting for him, but I really want Shogun to beat Machida. Shogun vs Anderson would be awesome and surely Silva wouldn't take that one lightly.

ive been saying it for 2 years, since the hendo fight, silva cares more about the "Streak" not finishing, he is fun to watch when the belt is not on the line, put him against Jones. or any striker. than he will have to do something. now do people understand why in the fav fighter topic why i said silva isnt that fun to watch.

i was pissed at the "Fans" that booed in the Hughes/Gracie fight but that might be that im a big hughes fan in the last 7 years. and with the Bj fight after r1 he looked like he didnt want to fight, and was done. but frank is damn good

Silva was supposed to fight Hendo after he destroyed Bisping. After Belfort smashed Rich Franklin, the UFC gave the shot to him. Hendo cracked the shits and went to Strikeforce.

Belfort gets injured so they have Sonnen v Marquardt as the no. 1 contenders match. Sonnen wins but is to banged up from the fight to face Silva.

So Maia gets the call up.

I love Maia from the first time I saw him fight. I was stoked that he was getting the shot, even tho I thought Silva would probably kill him.

Silva has since said he wanted to punish Maia for under rating his BJJ skills, something he saw as disrespectful. I think he just jabbed his face and sent a message because he is such a primadonna that he thinks he is free from criticism. Accurate or otherwise. I think it had a bit to do with Dana/Frank/Joe putting Maia in with him in the first place.

Disgusting effort on his behalf either way. As much as I like Maia, I think Nate the Great would have been a better match up anyway, and a more deserving one considering he finished Maia in about 20 seconds.

The should have Belfort fight Silva under the Carwin/Lesnar fight. Dana should cross his fingers that Belfort pulls it off because I doubt Sonnen could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good discussion guys and good post 1984.

Personally I think that since the Hendo fight, Dana has been 'padding' Anderson's record with perfect matchups for Anderson (read: cans). No disrespect to Leites, Cote, Maia, Forrest and Irvin, but they are absolutely not in the same league as Anderson. The reason for building up was to counter the "Fedor is #1 p4p" arguments from the other side while Fedor was in Affliction and now in Strikeforce. Unfortunately for Dana, this has backfired - Anderson is just sick of fighting chumps with a snowballs chance in hell of putting him in danger. Therefore we see performances like this. Pride was often accused of padding great fighters records with cans to make them look superhuman, and the UFC have been doing exactly the same with Anderson, its just this time, it's gone pear shaped... I think because AS is just a weird guy. He'd prefer to dance, taunt and give more of a 'melodramatic' performance than just go in and crush his opponent.

So I'm not sure how to rectify this. First is to not give him guys who are perfect matchups for him. Give him some proper strikers and well rounded guys, Irvin, Cote and Forrest are merely brawlers and Maia and Leites, without some kind of well roundedness are lambs to the slaughter. Too 1D. Hendo rematch would have been a great fight (Hendo's weight cut last time was terrible), but due to whatever reason (read: risk of him knocking off our #1 p4p) the fight was never made and Hendo was lost to SF.

My guess is that Silva will fight for a little while at LHW while the dust settles at MW. They might even build an 'interim MW' champ with a fight between Sonnen and Belfort while Anderson has a couple of fights at LHW against some proper fighters there (Shogun, Rampage or Rashad). Agreed that it's just too risky to have Anderson take a fight at 170 for the championship (cant risk him holding to ransom two belts), so perhaps a 'catchweight' superfight could happen (non-title)?

The other option is to do a deal with the devil and have a one-fight co-promotion with M1. Crazier things have happened. This is the time where it really is a win-win for the UFC. If Fedor lost it would be massive as it would pretty much kill the Fedor hype and Strikeforce. If Anderson lost, well he's gotten the flogging he so richly deserves and Fedor can be introduced into the UFC at a later time (which would be more likely to happen if the event went well). Oh and the fans would go crazy, it would be a huge event.

My guess is that Silva will fight for a little while at LHW while the dust settles at MW. They might even build an 'interim MW' champ with a fight between Sonnen and Belfort while Anderson has a couple of fights at LHW against some proper fighters there (Shogun, Rampage or Rashad). Agreed that it's just too risky to have Anderson take a fight at 170 for the championship (cant risk him holding to ransom two belts), so perhaps a 'catchweight' superfight could happen (non-title)?

The other option is to do a deal with the devil and have a one-fight co-promotion with M1. Crazier things have happened. This is the time where it really is a win-win for the UFC. If Fedor lost it would be massive as it would pretty much kill the Fedor hype and Strikeforce. If Anderson lost, well he's gotten the flogging he so richly deserves and Fedor can be introduced into the UFC at a later time (which would be more likely to happen if the event went well). Oh and the fans would go crazy, it would be a huge event.

I cant see a "joint promotion" hapenning mainly because the UFC finds is difficult enough negotiating just with Fedor's management on its own, let alone trying to strike a bargain with Fedor's management and the other promotion at the same time.

Dana White is quite keen to lure Fedor to the UFC. The one carrot that Dana White has is that Fedor is not fighting in the premiere MMA competition. By letting Fedor sign up (with no long term contract) for a one off super fight on a joint card he is effectively having his cake and eating it too.

I agree that Silva at LHW is the most realistic option. He would find it alot togher against Lyoto (although the fact that they both train together may preclude a match up).

The way things are going, Fedor might not even fight in Strikeforce again because M1 is pissed off at how no one even realized that Fedor vs Rogers was a Strikeforce & M1 co-promotion. Strikeforce pretty much bent them over in the co-promotion.

When you talk about Fedor's last fight, do you say "Fedor beat Rogers in a Strikeforce-M1 event" or do you say "Fedor beat Rogers in Strikeforce"? See what I mean? That's what Vadim and M1 are pissed about.

Post I saw on the UG:

BJ said on O and A today that his rematch will be around August. He wanted to fight a top contender in 6 weeks, but UFC wanted an immediate rematch due to the controversy.

Post I saw on the UG:

BJ said on O and A today that his rematch will be around August. He wanted to fight a top contender in 6 weeks, but UFC wanted an immediate rematch due to the controversy.

BJ like GSP is in bed with the UFC, if BJ had won that fight it would have been end of the story. I can understand the Shogun/Machida rematch but this was a close fight that could have went either way, If GSP ever loses a decision in the future expect the same thing to happen.

I'm loving all the s**t talking going on from Chael Sonnen right now. Yeah, if he goes after Anderson in the cage he'll probably get beaten but he's doing a great job of hyping himself up and creating interest for a possible fight. He's working it like a political campaign!

I never thought I'd ever barrack for Sonnen but he's got a dry sense of humour and I find his arrogance hilarious. Saying, "I have a moral obligation to beat Anderson Silva up" was pretty funny.

Main card
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia - I used to like Anderson Silva, but like everyone else here, I don't any more. I don't know what got into him, but he is clearly putting his own future at risk "fighting" like that.
Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar - Man, I am so thrilled with Frank Edgar, who's my favourite lightweight of all. He executed his gameplan perfectly, and just seemed to mesmerise Penn with his elusive boxing ability. I agree that it was a close fight, but I was very surprised that Penn didn't really even try to get Edgar down. Still, that's his problem and I am just stoked with the result! Onya Frankie! :D
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie - Regulation win for Hughes in a pretty dull fight.
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos - Rafael dos Anjos has some serious skills. Great performance.
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz - Very entertaining fight. Impressive win by Munoz after being in trouble in the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back