Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Light Heavyweight Sean O'Connell vs. Misha Cirkunov
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Felipe Arantes
Light Heavyweight Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. Nikita Krylov
Lightweight Sam Stout vs. Frankie Perez
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Flyweight Chris Kelades vs. Chris Beal
Lightweight Shane Campbell vs. Elias Silvério

Story replaced by Magny, such a woefully underwhelming card on paper, further evidence of how paper thin they have stretched themselves.

Will probably be full of action and finishes galore.

Card doesn't look great at a quick glance. That's because I'm struggling to remember who half of them are. Look into it a bit more and I might think the card's decent.

But just having a quick look at it now, the last two fights are great. Holloway/Oliveira & Silva/Magny are great matchups.

UFC 190 was the first time I haven't watched a PPV main card in a long time. This card and the OSP/Teixeira card are/were just as interesting on paper as UFC 190 for me and "free".

s**t, I see that Krylov's on the card.

He's not very good but his fights, outside of his fight with Palelei, have all been fun. After the Palelei fight he just about kicked Harris' head off in no time at all. Then he's getting Von Flue choked lol. Actually I can't remember his next fight with Donovan, but he won in the first round. Then he wins by standing guillotine choke against a BJJ black belt. Jeez, I'm questioning how he got a black belt though if he's losing by standing guillotine choke to Krylov.

s**t, I see that Krylov's on the card.

He's not very good but his fights, outside of his fight with Palelei, have all been fun. After the Palelei fight he just about kicked Harris' head off in no time at all. Then he's getting Von Flue choked lol. Actually I can't remember his next fight with Donovan, but he won in the first round. Then he wins by standing guillotine choke against a BJJ black belt. Jeez, I'm questioning how he got a black belt though if he's losing by standing guillotine choke to Krylov.
Sorry to sidetrack the discussion, just on that note re: the guillotine choke - they are one of the easiest things to do, but also one of the hardest to master. If you haven't seen the Rickson Gracie doco - Choke - he almost gets defeated via guillotine choke by a kickboxer with NO BJJ experience back in the day.

John Will touched on this particular incident in greater detail in a seminar he held specifically on guillotine chokes that I managed to attend in 2013.

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion, just on that note re: the guillotine choke - they are one of the easiest things to do, but also one of the hardest to master. If you haven't seen the Rickson Gracie doco - Choke - he almost gets defeated via guillotine choke by a kickboxer with NO BJJ experience back in the day.

John Will touched on this particular incident in greater detail in a seminar he held specifically on guillotine chokes that I managed to attend in 2013.

Thanks for posting that video. Have heard plenty about the doco, but never got around to watching it. Checked it out tonight and thought it was pretty good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the guy who nearly caught him in a guillotine was a kickboxer. I believe it was Yoshihisa Yamamoto. I know nothing about him, but wiki says he did judo in high school. I think being involved in Japanese pro-wrestling back then would have probably seen him train with some decent grapplers too. Didn't have much success in his MMA career, but lost to a number of good fighters.

Whether he was a kickboxer or not, I still get your point.

Thanks for posting that video. Have heard plenty about the doco, but never got around to watching it. Checked it out tonight and thought it was pretty good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the guy who nearly caught him in a guillotine was a kickboxer. I believe it was Yoshihisa Yamamoto. I know nothing about him, but wiki says he did judo in high school. I think being involved in Japanese pro-wrestling back then would have probably seen him train with some decent grapplers too. Didn't have much success in his MMA career, but lost to a number of good fighters.

Whether he was a kickboxer or not, I still get your point.
It's been a while since I watched it, so I can't remember for the life of me. I more remember JW's reflection of the incident, talking about how this guy had the audacity to try it on Rickson - and almost succeed! Giving credence to the idea that anyone's a sneaky chance with a guillotine. :thumbsu:

I tend to agree with phantom13 maybe because it suits my agenda with my stocky forearms but I just struggle to get under the chin with them. :cry:
The Team alpha male guys seem to do alright with them though.

It's been a while since I watched it, so I can't remember for the life of me. I more remember JW's reflection of the incident, talking about how this guy had the audacity to try it on Rickson - and almost succeed! Giving credence to the idea that anyone's a sneaky chance with a guillotine. :thumbsu:

I tend to agree with phantom13 maybe because it suits my agenda with my stocky forearms but I just struggle to get under the chin with them. :cry:
The Team alpha male guys seem to do alright with them though.

The struggle is real man, trust me. I also have a huge flat chin if i tuck it down hard its really hard for most people to get under there, when i rolled with my mate from time to time he couldnt get any kind of choke in, i could give up back mount and there was never any risk of the RNC, frustrated the hell out of him.

Just realised this isn't until Monday. Was looking forward to watching this before going to the Eagles game. :thumbsdown:

Had a better look at the card and think it's actually pretty good. Love the 1st two fights. Expect Holloway to be able to keep it at range and eventually pick up the KO stoppage. Can never trust Silva. He'll start really strongly and probably will put Magny away in the 1st round. He might not get the finish and that could open the door for Magny to either put Silva away late or win a decision.

Burkman/Cote doesn't really interest me at this stage of their careers. Burkman by decision seems like the likeliest outcome. Laprise has a good test against Trinaldo and should be able to beat the Brazilian by keeping it standing and outstriking him. Aubin-Mercier has a tough test against the heavy hitting Sims. Aubin-Mercier should be able to grapple his way to a decision or submission win. Moroz/Letourneau is a tough fight to pick. I'd have to side with Moroz because of how impressive she looked against Calderwood.

Some good fights on the prelims too. Cirkunov being talked up as a good prospect at LHW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really looking forward to seeing how Holloway/Oliveira went and then that happens. That sucked. Apparently he tore his oesophagus. That sounds really bad. Hopefully he's okay. Holloway calling out Edgar was great. Only just realised that Edgar's fighting Stephens and I'd much rather see Holloway fighting Edgar. I think Holloway beats Edgar.

Thought Silva would win. Easy after the fact, but I'm not sure why I did. Magny's game is put together so much better than Silva's. Maia suffocated Magny and didn't let him do anything. Silva's not going to do that as he bursts into everything. His striking's still not good and it seems clear it's never going to be, but he'll still be able to blast out overmatched opponents. His work on the mat is really good, but he's nothing special at getting it to the ground. Silva's not what a lot expected him to be, but he's still a fun, action fighter and someone I look forward to seeing again. Was a really good decision for Magny to get back in there quickly after the Maia loss.

Cote/Burkman was better than I was expecting. I don't know how Burkman took that punch near the end of round 1 so well. Then it took a heap of follow up shots on the ground to put Burkman away. Good fight.

Very good win for Trinaldo and a bad loss for Laprise. A setback for Laprise, but he's still got time to improve and climb the ranks.

Good win for Letourneau. Some nice striking exchanges in this fight. I think inexperience cost Moroz here as she was content to sit in guard too much.

Nice KO by Perez and good for him for retiring early. As much as I like MMA, I think it's generally the earlier you get out, the better. Bisping unsurprisingly was a dick about it. I'd be happy to see Stout retire too because he's just not taking a shot very well any more.

Nice win for Arantes. Glad it played out like it did, which meant that Jabouin didn't take much damage.

It would have been much better if Krylov/Lima stayed on the feet. That was sloppy and Lima did some weird things, but it was fun while it lasted. Another win for Krylov.

Circunov looked great. A relatively young and inexperienced LHW is always a welcome sight. I saw it mentioned elsewhere that Circunov rising the ranks at LHW would be great because he's different than most LHW's. He's looking to get a takedown and submit you (even though he won this with ground strikes). Not many other LHW's are really looking to do that.

I have finally watched the main card, bummer for the main event but these things happen, Burkman fight suprised me alot what would you do if you were int he UFC cut him or keep him, I enjoyed the fight. Silva Suprised me with his cardio I thought he won TBH
At best Silva took a round. Main was extremely close at the time of stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back