Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and Hawthorn's champion lists were built before the advent of free agency and the significant rise in player power that we've seen in the past two off-seasons. That game may well be changing.

I don't think your view is unreasonable but it may prove to be outdated.
That's why I think the best thing we have done is create a culture where everyone is so close and want to play together. Paying a ridiculous contract for Cameron goes against that I feel

That's why I think the best thing we have done is create a culture where everyone is so close and want to play together. Paying a ridiculous contract for Cameron goes against that I feel
In changing times...'whatever it takes' changes. If it takes a million dollar contract for a key forward,then it takes a million dollar contract.

There's no such thing as momentum, at least in terms of "this team has all the momentum" and "the last goal before half time gives a huge momentum shift". There's just one team getting centre clearances, or applying more pressure, or taking their opportunities. The reason we didn't have large goal run-ons against us this year compared to the past wasn't because we were good at "arresting the momentum" it was because we were better at getting our ******* hands on the ball, or tackling the s**t out of the opposition if they got it or setting up beforehand so that we gave ourselves the best chance of those two things. That's it. It's meaningless commentator airtime filling talk.

There's no such thing as momentum, at least in terms of "this team has all the momentum" and "the last goal before half time gives a huge momentum shift". There's just one team getting centre clearances, or applying more pressure, or taking their opportunities. The reason we didn't have large goal run-ons against us this year compared to the past wasn't because we were good at "arresting the momentum" it was because we were better at getting our ******* hands on the ball, or tackling the s**t out of the opposition if they got it or setting up beforehand so that we gave ourselves the best chance of those two things. That's it. It's meaningless commentator airtime filling talk.
Momentum certainly exists particularly Ina psychological sense.

Travis Boak is Port Adelaides best captain at AFL level. (Not sure if unpopular but Rick disagrees).

I also wished Craig Bradley came back to the club to play for Ports AFL team in '97 even though he was like 33 years old.

He did play until 2002, so we would have gotton 6 years out of him. And from memory he was at worst serviceable until the end. With the benefit of hindsight it would have been brilliant.

Hinkley believes in momentum and has a boatload of tactics around momentum.

Hinkley believes in momentum and has a boatload of tactics around momentum.
How does it work then? You go back to the middle, bounce the ball, and it's more likely to bounce into your hands if you've just scored a goal? Does it make it more likely that you'll get a free (actually that might be an interesting thing to research, since umpires do seem to be swayed by all sorts of things)? Near as I can tell Ken's plans fly in the face of what everyone has been saying about the nebulous concept of momentum for years -- that you need to try and stop the other team to wrest the momentum from them. It turns out that trying to slow down another team's momentum isn't as good an idea as just getting the ball, taking risks and running to support your teammates.

Also he does talk about momentum, but then he also talks about "youse" too, so I'm fine with him using wording that I wouldn't.

Even though players always think they're giving 100%, how well they're playing depends deeply on their psychological state. So a team who's just gotten an exciting goal etc may legitimately start playing better. That's momentum.

I agree though that commentators just make up nonsense and most of the time when they're talking about momentum they're not saying anything meaningful.

rewatch the elim final, softest player in the league.
Softness can be coached out and Ken would have done that. Chaplin was taken in the first round for a reason and was often one of our better players from 2008-2012. It's just that the worse things or the goals flying over his head that get remembered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Mitchell can tackle. Even Sydney players.
FTW
362147-3032e9a4-5759-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc08b.jpg

Commentators do speak of momentum as some sort of magical force a team will gain off the back of a goal or two.

yeah commentators tend to notice it when its already happened because they're so busy blathering. momentum can be as simple as the opposition haven't picked up something you've changed yet, you get a few, the yelling has started from the opposition coach's box but hasn't been effected yet on the ground and the rest is happening inside people's heads. for a little while. minute or two even.

Not simply Port related but I think international rookies are mostly a futile exercise. Every now and then one becomes ok but if clubs poured that much effort and resourcing into a local player they would turn out just as good if not better.

Yes there have been a few that have become stars but you can say the same about local rookie list players who wouldn't have cost 10% of the investment.

Have you played any form of sport? Ever?

Not really momentum, but I reckon Golf is the biggest one for showing how your mental state effects the way you play. Some days it all comes out sweet, the cup is huge and everything works, other days your duck hooking into trees and missing 1 foot puts.

I don't mind Kane Mitchell's selection most games. Maybe Moore/Young/Newton/other next in line need to work as hard as him.

Yeah I think he'll be overtaken by all 3 of them next year, but I don't mind him as back-up. His skills aren't quite up to it but he seems to make it to lots of contests, which is better than having a skilled player who doesn't work hard enough to get the footy in the first place.

I'm happy with his upgrade.

I am still concerned about our forward structure. Hopefully Schulzy still has a few good years left in him, but given that Ryder and Hoff are going to spend large amounts of game time in different parts of the field, I'm yet to be convinced that we will have forward targets in the right position throughout the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back