VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking toward Saturday…I am really hoping that “new Mitch” is in town and ready to play VFL…

With the game being before AFL I am afraid that we will have an additional “hold back” from VFL which means I think we lose an AFL player (unless someone gets omitted for Bowes and Rohan - I think someone will be injured/rested, but maybe we get Parf back?)

What I am afraid of is that they keep Dempsey as a hold back - I think that would be bad for him…he doesn’t need to ”nice signal/experience” - he needs to play a full game again to back up last weeks good game. But they take hold backs seriously as they have to be ready to play just in case game day injury/illness (despite it being very rare)…

Other teams in this situation would play someone for first half and then hold them back on the rare chance they are needed (and then as sub). Let’s hope Geelong do that given our lack of afl listed players…

I got two things out of this. Firstly great for Ollie to have this attitude. Let’s hope he can build confidence in vfl and develop at the right pace.

Secondly though how lucky are the cats to still have Lingy involved - even if somewhat tangential areas. Just having him around the club to interact with young players. Saying encouraging things and giving his experience.

This is what will ensure the club stays great

Secondly though how lucky are the cats to still have Lingy involved - even if somewhat tangential areas. Just having him around the club to interact with young players. Saying encouraging things and giving his experience.

This is what will ensure the club stays great
Works both ways, that. Lingy brings something positive to the environment down there, no doubt. But it's clear that the former skipper also loves being around the place and that he receives plenty out of staying associated with the GFC on a weekly basis. Win-win.

#stayclassygeelong

I wonder if Mitch Hardie will line up this Saturday?
its-a-pretty-good-chance-its-a-risk.gif

Folks who question Neale need to look more closely. H'es obviously an AFL player in the making. What i want to know is what is wrong with him - i vaguely recall mention of an ankle but ...? We were told he had a ripping pre-season and then he's off the radar. Rotten luck both for him and the club.

Folks who question Neale need to look more closely. H'es obviously an AFL player in the making. What i want to know is what is wrong with him - i vaguely recall mention of an ankle but ...? We were told he had a ripping pre-season and then he's off the radar. Rotten luck both for him and the club.

He hurt his ankle (syndesmosis injury) back in late January/early February which is why he missed the practice matches and early rounds

He tried returning but was still experiencing difficulties so had surgery to repair the issue

He hurt his ankle (syndesmosis injury) back in late January/early February which is why he missed the practice matches and early rounds

He tried returning but was still experiencing difficulties so had surgery to repair the issue
I can't remember when he had the surgery, march? If so then he should be at least doing some running of done sort by now

Screenshot_20230602_183341_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had completely forgotten about those games. If it's April then he shouldn't be far away from training at least
Surprised that Foster has been at all competitive this year? Love to see them give him a run on the ball for an extended period. That’s how he got his big break at u18 nationals.
Current rucks are super tall spuds.

Surprised that Foster has been at all competitive this year? Love to see them give him a run on the ball for an extended period. That’s how he got his big break at u18 nationals.
Current rucks are super tall spuds.
Foster has a long way to go. I don't think he has the tank currently to ruck vfl level. Park him in the vfl forward line 2 more years I think then review.

He gets points from me for determination, goal kicking action, long sleeves and high socks.

Foster has a long way to go. I don't think he has the tank currently to ruck vfl level. Park him in the vfl forward line 2 more years I think then review.

He gets points from me for determination, goal kicking action, long sleeves and high socks.

Id have no issue with burst but Im fine with him just doing what he is in year 1.He is showing little snap shots of possibilities. He needs to set a a camp beed in the gym and get a running coach... and just maybe he and we might be see be able to aim for a debut next year sometime. Anyone who can mark and kick like he can is a great foundation as a forward.

Id have no issue with burst but Im fine with him just doing what he is in year 1.He is showing little snap shots of possibilities. He needs to set a a camp beed in the gym and get a running coach... and just maybe he and we might be see be able to aim for a debut next year sometime. Anyone who can mark and kick like he can is a great foundation as a forward.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with his development. It's just a long development pathway

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with his development. It's just a long development pathway

Im from the era that saw guys like Tuck and Dipper play 50 to 100 games of VFL to transition into a successful team... who then became the backbone of a new group.
I know a lot kids want to be playing as soon as drafted.. but I have no issue with patience if one can see the potential and the player is putting their shoulder to the wheel..especially when we generally have not been scooping the cream from the draft pool ... ( although that has potential to change soon)

Going to be wet and windy in Werribee today. Doesn’t bode well for a quality game. Won’t suit Dempsey, Bowes or Phoenix maybe in terms of superior skills…but should allow Parf, Ted and Bruce to shine in and under?

I am assuMing we won’t see Simpson (he is my pick for sub) and only one of Dempsey or Bowes for a half. I am heading to game on the way to Melbourne so will report in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back