2nds VFL practice match - Geelong v Collingwood, Skilled Stadium, 12:00PM Saturday 5 March

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the VFL today and saw Geelong go down to Collingwood 8.8 to 10.13.
Collingwood had about 9 listed AFL players including Goldsack, and Rob Condy and Tom Couch on the supp list (good luck to them, quality players)
Geelong had the return of Nick Butler (yes, that Nick Butler), debut of Jaxson Barham, and a lot of new and unfamiliar names. No AFL listed players.
We struggled in the key back posts, and just with some of our decision making (Barham doesn't look up to VFL level to me). Umpires didnt help with inconsistency seeing Collingwood have a ratio of a bit above 2 : 1 in the frees count, and high 40s paid for the match.. something that was not lost on the die hard supporter sitting in my area :/
The team was:
Nick Butler
Casey Tutungi (one to watch.. again. great lifting goal)
Dylan Watt
Mitchell Scott (tough, good decision maker.. definite starter)
Lucas Boyd (key forward and ruck.. showed a bit)
Anthony Elliott
Kevin Bourke (showed glimpses and finished with a goal)
Andrew McLean (yup, that Andrew McLean)
Sam Boyd (showed a bit in the #34 kicking a goal)
Seb Kent
Jess Rush
Garreth Phillips (kicked a beautiful long bomb, watch him play.. good VFL game)
Jaxson Barham
Mark Corrigan (brother of Paul is back.. showed a bit, but bit injured in game)
Jackson Hollmer (held the backline together)
Jackson Shannahan (1 goal)
Jackson Bright
James Hussey
James Rock (1 goal)
Daniel Jull
Anthony Biemans
Tom Maas (takes the game on and tries hard, rewarded with 2 goals)

I'll try to get some photos up tonight

Thanks RR, Jackson Bright any relation to Terry

Tom is the younger Couch son.. Paul was there in the crowd.

Rob Condy is ex-Geelong VFL full back.

No signs of Raidme or Firman.. and given Selwood makes the list 24, and we only have about 23 training with us still, looks like they have decided to move on :(

Ah i see, good to see a Couch getting a gig even if it's not with us.

I hope Raids and Firman haven't left, the former was great before he got injured and I thought was a shot at a rookie spot, and Firman was great with his leadership last year, and we could really use him for experience because we'll be young again this year.

Maybe they got a good SANFL offer or something?

Just Wondering to get you guys thoughts on the Pies Players and who played for collingwood

Take this with a grain of salt because on days like this you have enough time keeping track of your own players.

For me you had a real standout in TOM YOUNG. Played as a key defender (admittedly against unlisted opposition) and just looked assured, strong and poised. Hits the ball hard, runs straight and kicks long to position. You have something in that player, provided he can break into the side. If not, another club will definitely snaffle him up (an experience GFC fans have plenty of examples about!)

I don't know the full story on Tyson Goldsack, but the record said he was #6 and a #6 was out there ... doing nothing at all. He's a long way off it on this performance.

Apart from that, I think I would have walked away a rather perplexed Pies fan today. You had SIX more players (10 on the bench opposed to our 4), you had 9 listed players (AFL/Rookie) to our none, and yet you almost lost.

Still, it's the preseason and I'd much rather follow a premier AFL team rather than a VFL champion.

I like your other name RR ;)

Here's my report from another place in cyberspace:

A match of little consequence beyond the fact that maybe a future player took their first step today, and the almost miracle victory by the Cats. Can people who know of Lucas Boyd at least scroll to the bottom and let me know more about him?

COLLINGWOOD: 10.13 (73) def. GEELONG 8.8 (56) ... but but but ... I'd have to think this is an eyebrow raiser result for the Pies. Consider it thusly:
Number of players on the bench: GFC 4; COLL 10 (yes, they had six more players)

AFL-listed players participating: GFC 0; COLL 9 (4 senior, 5 rookies)

Plus 15 of our 22 weren't even VFL listed players. Midway through the last these semi-Cats closed to within 8 points - they just lacked the poise and across-the-ground consistency to seal the deal. I'm conscious that other posters may well know many of the guys 'trying out'. I'll comment on a couple of them but will happily answer any questions. Keep in mind I missed the start of the match. Aaanyway ...

Holy testicle Tuesday, Jaxson Barham is one seriously crazy dude. He's obviously seen tapes of his dad because when he gets the ball he wants to RUN, Forrest, RUN! Unfortunately, at the moment it seems to be a case of running at the nearest opponent like he's playing rugby league. He tackles like he seriously wants to kill the guy with the ball, which equally unfortunately is frowned upon by the umpires. I'll wait and see how he goes with better players around him. Best of luck resurrecting the career, Jaxson. Lord knows we'd like a Max Rooke replacement, and you at least have the right hair (head and facial) for the job. Be cleaner with the ball and he can be my wingman anytime.

Of the regular VFL types nobody stood out massively to my eye, though we're clearly relying more on Tutungi in the middle. Hollmer was steady enough in defence, Bright was quiet, Maas, Jull and Rock are hard little scrappers and I didn't get a good read on Biemans' game. Unlisted Nick Butler was back, ladies and gentlemen, rucking well enough and taking a decent defensive mark or two near the end. I wish him well for his local footy year ahead. Rob Condy is back, playing for the other side though, and Paul Couch was there to see son Tom go round for the Pies. Oh, and for fans of Paul Corrigan's work, his brother Mark had a run and didn't disgrace himself in a performance that reminded me of Brad Sholl suddenly anchored to the half-forward line.

New to the VFL list is Sam Boyd. He's a tall mobile forward and ruck, though didn't get/take many opportunities to actually play like one, preferring to spookily be around to get on the end of passes from his namesake (and brother?) Lucas. Three missed gettable shots in the last half were momentum killers from Sam, and I was wondering whether his bro should also be on the list.

Which brings me to the Diamond in the Second Cut of Rough section. Perhaps understandably, most of the try-outs kinda blurred together in a mixture of enthusiasm, poor disposal and the occasional 'wtf' moment. None of whom I've heard of before, but locals may well know better.

Two players I would earmark purely on physical presence and fearlessness. Mitchell Scott is one. The other deserves a medal for just backing fearlessly into a pack that resembled a tsunami by the time it hit him - Anthony Elliott has the right size and poise to be a decent defensive prospect, and that effort alone showed up a number of other players. Sure, that may mean his glass ceiling is David Johnson level, but I hope we give him a run this season. Apparently Garreth Phillips played well before I arrived and maybe I missed his efforts later. Not sure.

But I seriously need to know what the deal is with Lucas Boyd. He played mainly up forward (where he was manned up by senior-listed players) and it wasn't just the #26 that had me thinking of Tomahawk, right down to the occasionally puzzling decision to pass to others (mainly Sam). This guy has a "rough-around-the-edges / gee-why-hasn't-he-progressed-further?" feel about him. I think he is worth considering up forward this year in the VFL. Let's face it, our top two key forwards are in their twilight years, the next is unproven and then all we have is a skinny kid and a guy who won't make it but has done well to get so far. (in order: Mooney/Pods, Hawk, Brown, Johnson).

So there you have it. It was a fun enough way to spend the day, and great to get home in daylight. The club should be congratulated for throwing the doors open and providing a spot-on teams list. The volunteers should be thanked for the BBQ and 'Teach' should be congratulated for STILL getting behind the goals in the Doug Wade stand, even though it was closed.

Squad was: Butler, Tutungi, Watt, Scott, L Boyd, Elliott, Bourke, McLean, Boyd, Kent, Rush, Phillips, Barham, Corrigan, Hollmer, Shannahan, Bright, Hussey, Rock, Jull, Biemans, Maas

I assumed Jackson was brother of Michael, son of Terry, but I think i was told this was not the case
Think Jackson's a nephew. I thought he looked alright last year, played as a lead-up half forward.

Take this with a grain of salt because on days like this you have enough time keeping track of your own players.

For me you had a real standout in TOM YOUNG. Played as a key defender (admittedly against unlisted opposition) and just looked assured, strong and poised. Hits the ball hard, runs straight and kicks long to position. You have something in that player, provided he can break into the side. If not, another club will definitely snaffle him up (an experience GFC fans have plenty of examples about!)

I don't know the full story on Tyson Goldsack, but the record said he was #6 and a #6 was out there ... doing nothing at all. He's a long way off it on this performance.

Apart from that, I think I would have walked away a rather perplexed Pies fan today. You had SIX more players (10 on the bench opposed to our 4), you had 9 listed players (AFL/Rookie) to our none, and yet you almost lost.

Still, it's the preseason and I'd much rather follow a premier AFL team rather than a VFL champion.

Thanks for that Mate

DSC_0180_01.jpg

DSC_0171_01.jpg

DSC_0221_01.jpg

DSC_0177_01.jpg

Matt Firman had hip surgery over summer and has only trained a few times. The Geelong boys should be reasonably happy with the result considering the imbalance in numbers and height. Quite a few wasted opportunities in the second quarter cost them a surprise win in the end. A few of the key ball-getters (Tutungi and Corrigan) tended to hang on to it too long resulting in turnovers, while basic skill errors and decision-making through the middle and going forward by a number of players also hurt them. McLean, Elliott and Hollmer worked pretty well against the bigger Collingwood forwards and the mids moved the ball well when they used it unselfishly. Butler was okay but apparently was just filling in. Lucas Boyd, Phillips and other forwards showed they could do some damage when the ball came in quickly. Shannahan and Bourke were among the better ball users and Barham and Biemans caused a few turnovers with their ferocious tackling.
I believe there is a cut this week (?Seven players) then they take on Bendigo at Skilled next Saturday at 1pm.

I assumed Jackson was brother of Michael, son of Terry, but I think i was told this was not the case

Jackson is a nephew to Terry and cousin of Newtown's Michael :thumbsu:

Like to hear a bit more about this kid.

Nice to the Pies play us in white shorts for a change. It should happen in the seniors every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team was:
Nick Butler
Casey Tutungi (one to watch.. again. great lifting goal)
Dylan Watt
Mitchell Scott (tough, good decision maker.. definite starter)
Lucas Boyd (key forward and ruck.. showed a bit)
Anthony Elliott
Kevin Bourke (showed glimpses and finished with a goal)
Andrew McLean (yup, that Andrew McLean)
Sam Boyd (showed a bit in the #34 kicking a goal)
Seb Kent
Jess Rush
Garreth Phillips (kicked a beautiful long bomb, watch him play.. good VFL game)
Jaxson Barham
Mark Corrigan (brother of Paul is back.. showed a bit, but bit injured in game)
Jackson Hollmer (held the backline together)
Jackson Shannahan (1 goal)
Jackson Bright
James Hussey
James Rock (1 goal)
Daniel Jull
Anthony Biemans
Tom Maas (takes the game on and tries hard, rewarded with 2 goals)

I'll try to get some photos up tonight
Interesting - one more and we would have had our own Motown hit machine .

Nice to the Pies play us in white shorts for a change. It should happen in the seniors every now and then.

NSW scholarship player elevated to senior list as far as I'm aware.

Matt Firman had hip surgery over summer and has only trained a few times. The Geelong boys should be reasonably happy with the result considering the imbalance in numbers and height. Quite a few wasted opportunities in the second quarter cost them a surprise win in the end. A few of the key ball-getters (Tutungi and Corrigan) tended to hang on to it too long resulting in turnovers, while basic skill errors and decision-making through the middle and going forward by a number of players also hurt them. McLean, Elliott and Hollmer worked pretty well against the bigger Collingwood forwards and the mids moved the ball well when they used it unselfishly. Butler was okay but apparently was just filling in. Lucas Boyd, Phillips and other forwards showed they could do some damage when the ball came in quickly. Shannahan and Bourke were among the better ball users and Barham and Biemans caused a few turnovers with their ferocious tackling.
I believe there is a cut this week (?Seven players) then they take on Bendigo at Skilled next Saturday at 1pm.

Thanks for all the info archie. Glad to hear Firman will be back.

I went down and caught the second half. It was a great day and I have to congratulate the cheer squad (I think it was) for putting on the BBQ. Really relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Can't say much about your boys as I wasn't really familiar with the players. Was talking to a friend who said your VFL side were beaten by Bell Park (??) last week so it was obviously a fair turn around this week - especially considering the smaller bench you had. I thought it was a pretty scrappy afair mostly but both teams went in hard. Plenty of big hits. It was strange seeing Jaxson in different colours, seems to have the same deficiencies as when he played for us. Lightening quick, goes hard but some of the worst disposal skills and decision making you will see. Entertaining but sometimes pretty frustrating to watch.

Tom is the younger Couch son.. Paul was there in the crowd.

Rob Condy is ex-Geelong VFL full back.

No signs of Raidme or Firman.. and given Selwood makes the list 24, and we only have about 23 training with us still, looks like they have decided to move on :(

Not sure the back story with Selwood but he was definitely at the ground on the day. Seemed to be working with the coaching staff if that tells you anything.

I only caught the second half but I thought Goldsack was good when he was on. He was used pretty sparingly though. Killed everything in the air and his disposal was good coming out of defense. First hitout coming back from a bout of glandular fever.

He's a NSW scholarship player who we played in our VFL side last year and drafted this year. Decided to preselect him in the national draft and senior list as opposed to rookie list because we didn't want to risk him going into the ND and getting picked up by another club. Won our VFL best and fairest last year as a 17yo. Over 190cm but projects more as a midfielder than a KP. Big future.

VFL side weren't beaten by bell park last week. Saturday was there first hitout for the year...with 2 more before the season proper starts. This week will be a completly different group of young guys though (have to sort out top up player list)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back