VIC - Port Phillip Bay Tunnel

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest post Panamax Container ships dock at Port of Hastings. This saves deeper dredging within Port Phillip. Rail or, trucks move Containers to Geelong rail-hub for country dispatch to Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour, Warrnambool or; interstate to Adelaide, Albury, Sydney.
Does your bridge include rail? Don't have the capacity to send freight on rail through the CBD.
What are the grades and approach lengths?
How high above high water level to get shipping clearance?

'Port Phillip Bay Bridge' is a Transportation topic @ the architects forum called
walkingmelbourne.com.au
approx 32,300 views to date..
It is an interesting architectural concept but the practicalities of being able to actually build it would make it impossible, even if the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas both were home to over a million people each.

It is an interesting architectural concept but the practicalities of being able to actually build it would make it impossible, even if the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas both were home to over a million people each.
The practicalities like having to extend the Mornington Peninsula Freeway through the privileged's playground.

The problem of running it through a national park and heritage listed area in Point Nepean might cause some community unease as well.
Yeah but Hunt and Abbott will just steamroll over that if given the chance to fund a road. It's the Rich peoples property that's going to be the major issue.

Last edited:
With a bridge & piers you get:
Hydro electricity from 1 cubic km of water each tide flow x twice a day & night.
A massive North face collecting solar power from the rising sun in the east & setting in the west. Free reflection from unlimited km's of surface water all day onto the bridge North face.
A tunnel risks flooding & has nil benefits from renewable energy potentials.
Further, tourism & inspiration come from the proven popularity of Golden Gate & Sydney Bridges.. Port Phillip Bay Bridge, or, Melbourne Bay Bridge: as I prefer to call it; would engineer all other bridges of the world into the 'dark ages' - a bit like tunnels... Quite dark.. ;)

Could you provide any similar examples elsewhere around the world of a combined tidal power structure and bridge, which still lets container ships in? Let's not worry about solar power just for now.

Yeah but Hunt and Abbott will just steamroll over that if given the chance to fund a road. It's the Rich peoples property that's going to be the major issue.
It is a good chance for revenge at Lyndsay Fox by running it through his property for his court challenges

A few footnotes:
Personally, I'd like to see rail freight & especially Containers moved from the Port of Hastings across our Bay Bridge to a Geelong hub for on forwarding. Vice versa applies & ex Melbourne freight could use rail over the Bay Bridge to avoid the Monash Fwy & Dandenong to city & Port of Melbourne. The extra rail km's outweigh the already over used existing eastern corridor.
Next: if we're moving freight then why not make it dual gauge? Others have said passenger rail should be extended again to Mornington. I believe the existing rail at Hastings / Stony Point could be extended along the dual guage freight route over the Bay Bridge to Geelong.

Admiral Byng. Alstom make our trains in Ballarat. They also employ 90,000 people world wide & own the 'Tide Turbines' developed by Rolls Royce. Pic & specs on Google of these units with real life evaluation. Two units have produced 1 GWhr of electricity in Scotland. Bigger units are now available.
Fitted inside engineered piers with fluid dynamics of an aeroplane wing, only the propellers exposed & a 7 metre long radius. Distance & clearance for shipping between piers remains enormous.

Slacks: Lindsay Fox would be Australia's main benefactor from the Bay Bridge inside The Heads. As investor in Avalon Airport & transport industries his businesses all boom with the convenience afforded by 10 minute 24/7 access.
Second: Lindsay's property at Portsea would enjoy views not unlike The Rocks at Sydney Harbor (I would say superior views).. And that will quadruple his real estate values at a minimum. :)

Pessimistic: a dedicated truck transport lane from the Port of Hastings using the latest remote electronic (driverless) technology as per Road Freight in the Pilbarra has already been discussed for South Gippsland Hwy., from the Port at Hastings to the 'inland warehousing' on 180 hectares at South Dandenong / Lyndhurst.. If it can be planned for that route, why not do the same from Hastings to the Bay Bridge inside The Heads & across to a Geelong hub?

Exact routes, rail gradients etc are an roads corporation function (not mine).
A quick look at Wikipedia under topic Westgate Bridge reveals that it was the instigator of a new Westgate Park created during construction.
So, in similar fashion to Westgate & Bolte Bridges the National Park at Point Nepean would be preserved by using piers to elevate the entrance to the 90 per cent of the above Bay, & inside of The Heads bridge. The launching is at Observatory Point; an old cattle ramp location next to the old barb wire boundary fence at the car park about 3km back from 'The Point & Fort'.. Same location as the tourist bus pick-up.

Trees, have trunks.. Bridges have piers. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ice Wolf: a reserve to extend Mornington Peninsula Fwy? I checked my Melways and found that the reserve already exists.

Kfc1: most bridges over shipping channels have about 70 metres clearance for the Cruise Ships & freight below.
Shanghai has one 35 kms long out to some coastal islands now turned into only a Container dock. Single purpose / freight.

Ice Wolf: a reserve to extend Mornington Peninsula Fwy? I checked my Melways and found that the reserve already exists.
How far does it extend? IIRC only as far as Rye/Blairgowie and there is no (cheap) way to widen Melbourne Rd from where the Freeway reserve ends to the Heads.

If it was up to me I'd install a Heavy Rail to the end of the Freeway reserve then a tram circuit along Melbourne Rd to Sorrento and then looping back to Rye along Point Nepean Rd (maybe extending it all the way to Safety Beach). Would be great for the tourists and holiday makers.

Last edited:
How far does it extend? IIRC only as far as Rye/Blairgowie and there is no (cheap) way to widen Melbourne Rd from where the Freeway reserve ends to the Heads.

If it was up to me I'd install a Heavy Rail to the end of the Freeway reserve then a tram circuit along Melbourne Rd to Sorrento and then looping back to Rye along Point Nepean Rd (maybe extending it all the way to Safety Beach). Would be great for the tourists and holiday makers.
Believe it or not: a tram service already existed from Sorrento front beach, to the back beach during the 1880's until about 1915! Really! ;)

Melbourne Engineer extraordinaire Mr David Broadbent has already modelled the bridge access from the back beach then across.. I haven't seen the route.. I know he's on LinkedIn.
Evidently there were 10-12 alternate launch / landfall sites considered at that time (1999).

Last edited:
Jeff Kennett in his column Herald Sun 11th March, 2015 p23 remarked "Reject reform and we're dead in the water." And today 18th March, we'd best plan ahead & act now on infrastructure.. ;)
1999 Kennetts' last year as Premier was when Port Phillip Bridge launched into public conversation.

Carbon fibre based cables now used in worlds new tallest elevator shafts are stronger than steel and weigh only 15 per cent or, 1/7th the weight of steel cable. Apply that thinking in materials technology to our Port Phillip Cable Stayed Bridge & we are world class leading. :)
Geelong has a Carbon Fibre products technology campus.

Last edited:
IRC??? interconnecting Reserved Carraigeway?

Myself: I just want to see the work done on all cost benefit analysis & feasibility studies with routes & 'flyover' options considered & electricity from renewables fully calculated incorporating our unique Big Bay & Rip Currents, Solar CSP; & even wind generated from whirlwind wheels between the main spars & Windpod (R), roadside fencing. Time for serious studies & evaluation. :)

IRC??? interconnecting Reserved Carraigeway?

Myself: I just want to see the work done on all cost benefit analysis & feasibility studies with routes & 'flyover' options considered & electricity from renewables fully calculated incorporating our unique Big Bay & Rip Currents, Solar CSP; & even wind generated from whirlwind wheels between the main spars & Windpod (R), roadside fencing. Time for serious studies & evaluation. :)

WASTE OF TIME?
That's the headline that applies to waiting for a ferry & to cross in another 40 mins & then disembark.
WASTE OF RENEWABLES?
When our Big Bay has focused Rip-Tide currents unharnessed. A Natural solar mirror close to major electricity consumption & nil over Bay wind generation when strong sourherly winds prevail.
WASTE OF ECONOMIC BENEFITS TOO NuMEROUS TO MENTION HERE?
WASTED IMAGINATION & FUTURE PROOFING WHEN THAT BRIDGE CAN BE DESIGNED & BUILT NOW..

IF:- the Bay Bridge is an East West Link. Could some of the up to 200, 000 vehicles a day using Westgate to & from Geelong use the Bay Bridge instead?
Could Daniel Andrews Premier ask for 'Clean Energy Finance Corporation' funding from Tony Abbot PM for the Bay Bridge project?

Could Daniel Andrews Premier ask for 'Clean Energy Finance Corporation' funding from Tony Abbot PM for the Bay Bridge project?

Would love to see it for the shits and giggles.

The biggest factor against your scheme, Zooloft (and I like the idea) is that we don't do big, imaginative projects in Australia anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back