VIC - Port Phillip Bay Tunnel

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Pessimistic. Governments 'pick up' about 5'/, stamp duty on each Real Estate transaction facilitated by the access afforded by a bridge. Construction provides jobs, incomes & taxes. Economies of scale & convergence come to half a million people more conveniently connected. Businesses & government services such as police & hospitals create synergies.
Further, Milleau Viaduct (worlds tallest) runs at a profit in its own right. It does not replicate the electricity output of China's hydro at 3 gorges.. Port Phillip throws about One Cubic Km in & out the rip at 8 knots..unharnessed..
Westgate is 10 lanes.. Milleau is 2 each way. Port Phillip Bridge could include dual gauge rail for Container freight from Port Hastings & a suburban rail loop.
Tourism would no doubt increase & not decrease.
The existing three ferries are departing on the hour from both sides simultaneously in daylight only all year.

The only alternative is to complete the Metropolitan Ring Road.

To explain let's look at the current mess.

When the Ring Road in its current form was completed about 10 years ago, it was curious....here was a freeway linking the West Gate, Princes, Western, Calder, Tullamarine and Hume Freeways, coming to a complete stop at the Greensborough Bypass. A 34 kilometre freeway with traffic having to be funnelled onto a mid-level suburban road.

We now also have the Eastern Freeway and Eastlink, which link with each other, and then the latter linking up with the Monash and Mornington Peninsula Freeways.

What's missing is the final section of the Ring Road from Greensborough to Donvale. A section that would be at most 10 kilometres in length.

Hi.. :)
1/ Build the caissons to house the piers.
2/ Prefabricated road deck slides in over the piers from the sides ( as per Mileau Viaduct video YouTube ).
3/ Traffic lights for shipping are fitted to the piers & directional arrows point to centre of the dredged channel.
4/ Power / electricity generating hydro is fitted below water level to piers with built in gantry cranes..(for maintenance).
5/ Dual guage rail could occupy a 'central' bridge emergency lane..normally closed to traffic..rope barriers retractable /built in with emergency switch stations.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why this never gets talked about as an idea at election time? Or any other time for that matter?

There have been proposals in the past (including a possible suspension bridge) but it seems like something obvious to get done as the expansion of Melbourne continues into the future and Geelong/Frankston become a part of the city as a whole. It could be argued that Frankston is already there.

To put it in perspective the Channel Tunnel from Calais, France to Kent, England is just over 50kms long. The Port Phillip Tunnel would only need to be about half of that in order to connect the Mornington Penninsula Freeway with the Bellarine highway.

Obviously it would cost a fortune (and this is probably why it's never brought up) but thinking long term it would allow much easier travel for outer suburban traffic perticularly those looking to catch flights from Avalon (which could see a large spike in business), reduce some congestion in the inner city over weekends as people visiting family, hitting beach spots or camping could avoid city routes and it would also provide a viable east-to-west option for freight movement if the government continues with it's plans for the Port of Hastings construction over the next 10 or so years.

So let's talk about it SRP Board. Would people use it? Does anyone else see a need for it?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this given all the media discussion about the East-West Tunnel and the forever delayed Melbourne Rail Link.

'Port Phillip Bay Bridge' is a Transportation topic @ the architects forum called
walkingmelbourne.com.au
approx 32,300 views to date..

Hi.. :)
1/ Build the caissons to house the piers.
2/ Prefabricated road deck slides in over the piers from the sides ( as per Mileau Viaduct video YouTube ).
3/ Traffic lights for shipping are fitted to the piers & directional arrows point to centre of the dredged channel.
4/ Power / electricity generating hydro is fitted below water level to piers with built in gantry cranes..(for maintenance).
5/ Dual guage rail could occupy a 'central' bridge emergency lane..normally closed to traffic..rope barriers retractable /built in with emergency switch stations.

Tunnel boring machine.

They aren't very exciting, but might be a better all-weather option.

Big Q? Where does all the East West Link tunnel dirt & rock go? How much does it cost to dig, transport & dispose of? 6km's x how many lanes? Lots of dirt!!!

With a bridge & piers you get:
Hydro electricity from 1 cubic km of water each tide flow x twice a day & night.
A massive North face collecting solar power from the rising sun in the east & setting in the west. Free reflection from unlimited km's of surface water all day onto the bridge North face.
A tunnel risks flooding & has nil benefits from renewable energy potentials.
Further, tourism & inspiration come from the proven popularity of Golden Gate & Sydney Bridges.. Port Phillip Bay Bridge, or, Melbourne Bay Bridge: as I prefer to call it; would engineer all other bridges of the world into the 'dark ages' - a bit like tunnels... Quite dark.. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a bridge & piers you get:
Hydro electricity from 1 cubic km of water each tide flow x twice a day & night.
A massive North face collecting solar power from the rising sun in the east & setting in the west. Free reflection from unlimited km's of surface water all day onto the bridge North face.
A tunnel risks flooding & has nil benefits from renewable energy potentials.
Further, tourism & inspiration come from the proven popularity of Golden Gate & Sydney Bridges.. Port Phillip Bay Bridge, or, Melbourne Bay Bridge: as I prefer to call it; would engineer all other bridges of the world into the 'dark ages' - a bit like tunnels... Quite dark.. ;)

Your last argument. The mines bigger than yours one is sadly, the way to sell it these days

I like the idea of big glorious bridges, but container ships are massive and getting massiver. The bridge would need to be absolutely huge, and in need of nano-tech or something to stop it being an eye-sore. I suspect your estimates of renewable energy are a bit of guess-work? Light reflected off the waves? This is Vic, right? And waves aren't flat... I believe tidal-power is limited by the fact that such enormous forces in the sea make for high-maintenance no matter how well you engineer it, but I haven't looked into it lately.

Bump the post in another 25 years and it might be more realistic.

I like the idea of big glorious bridges, but container ships are massive and getting massiver. The bridge would need to be absolutely huge, and in need of nano-tech or something to stop it being an eye-sore. I suspect your estimates of renewable energy are a bit of guess-work? Light reflected off the waves? This is Vic, right? And waves aren't flat... I believe tidal-power is limited by the fact that such enormous forces in the sea make for high-maintenance no matter how well you engineer it, but I haven't looked into it lately.

"Ratts of Tobruk": Julia Gillard attended an APEC at Vladivostok & returned home early when her dad died. There is an island there for conference facilities & a population under 5,000. Shanghai, China has little islands 35km off shore recently converted to Container shipping. Unlike Geelong 300k & Mornington Peninsula 150k both Islands have purpose built bridges. Vladivostok is cable stayed like Milleau Viaduct & Shanghai bridge is 35km Coast to Island at sea.

"Ratts of Tobruk": specs for the Alstom tide turbines are available on Google. Rolls Royce sold the patents.. It is only a matter of 'scale'. Units would be engineered to expose propellers only from generators protected inside bridge piers. Add units to piers as desired. Corrosion? Well, it's similar to a ships / submarine propulsion but, harnessing the current right?
My point about light is that over water there is substantial glare that you won't get in the desert of Nevada. Harnessing the glare for solar is absolutely free.

Commercial viability will work. Two trillion AUD waiting for investment returns from AUD SuperFunds.

A feasibility assessment & planning approval should 'green light' investment from Transurban e-tag types, Asciona investment types, electricity utilities & etc.

Fully self funding pending State Government approval. Government gets the land Sales Taxes, benefits of jobs & economic growth.

Alcoa at Point Henry get cheap renewable power. Prefabrication occurs at a disused Ford manufacturing facility.

Biggest post Panamax Container ships dock at Port of Hastings. This saves deeper dredging within Port Phillip. Rail or, trucks move Containers to Geelong rail-hub for country dispatch to Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour, Warrnambool or; interstate to Adelaide, Albury, Sydney.

'Pessimistic': a Google search on the 'Bay Bridge' SanFransisco 'pics' or, Wiki for 'lights' may reveal the latest LED 'low wattage' fully programable bridge illumination project already completed.
The Bay Bridge has several piers & spans whereas its little sister, Golden Gate has only one. :(

The only alternative is to complete the Metropolitan Ring Road.

What's missing is the final section of the Ring Road from Greensborough to Donvale. A section that would be at most 10 kilometres in length.

Don't harm the rare frogs

'Pessimistic': a Google search on the 'Bay Bridge' SanFransisco 'pics' or, Wiki for 'lights' may reveal the latest LED 'low wattage' fully programable bridge illumination project already completed.
The Bay Bridge has several piers & spans whereas its little sister, Golden Gate has only one. :(

The Bay bridge is very impressive.

http://baybridgeinfo.org/history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back