List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Lever was always a more logical pick for us in my opinion.
Other reason for trading up was that Peter Wright may have still been on the board.
Also there is a chance they really really wanted cockatoo, still though, i think a conversation would have been had.
Lever is a good defender, but Cockatoo's presence cannot be underestimated. To have defenders and mids from the opposition thinking about a player like they would with Nakia is priceless. His pressure, his intensity and his ability to break lines is very rare, don't underestimate the impact that has on the mindframe of opposition players.

I'm very happy with his development and I feel we are a better side with him in. When he gets more time and composure and ability to read the AFL game better, we will see him become an explosive and exciting presence in the Dangerfield mould. Doesn't happen overnight for players like that. It takes time. Lever would be handy, but our backline is functioning pretty well without him - he's a natural defender and positions himself beautifully but he isn't a once in a generation player. Nakia potentially is.

That's a risk to assume the best of players, but it's certainly one I'm willing to take.

So disappointed to see him injured again tonight. I Hope he's not going to another player we see more of in the rehab group than on the ground playing.

I know he's young but as he keeps on racking up the injuries so will the expectations that the could be a gun footballer, just like a bloke who we gave away for free at the end of last year in Nathen Vardy.

So frustrating... Have to question if his body is up for AFL requirements. We always knew he was injury prone when drafted which is why I preferred Weller (who turned out pretty good so far). Wonder if he has to change something about his running style or muscle formation to prevent this from happening all the time..

Getting a bit tired of people looking back at drafts and looking at every player drafted after them (Ye old Thurlow and Grundy comparison) and questioning why we didn't take them.

Particularly in the case of Cockatoo who clearly has the ability to be very good player.
Yep. Many of the recent draft years have been as thin as * - with only a handful of quality coming from them a problem acerbated by GWS and GCFC strip mining the drafts.

So frustrating... Have to question if his body is up for AFL requirements. We always knew he was injury prone when drafted which is why I preferred Weller (who turned out pretty good so far). Wonder if he has to change something about his running style or muscle formation to prevent this from happening all the time..
Yeah, Lachie Weller was supposed to be a top 4 draft pick that year, ended up sliding to pick 13. I think he'll be a good player.

He's bulked a lot over his time, which he needed to do and his endeavour to play hard is evident - Im thinking some more pilates and core flexibility.

Tom Brady of Patriots fame has dropped all weight work from his regimen and only partakes in pilates and stretching.

NC5 IMO could use some of this - especially if he is getting twinges on a consistent basis.

GO Catters

Really need Nakia (rampage) to get on the field and string games together. I think we would have won on Thursday had he not been injured and will be vital for our finals chances. Kicks and handballs tell only half the story. He brings not just pressure but fear and intimidation. He tackles to hurt. You could see some of the Adelaide players were worried a few weeks ago. The team has been missing a hard edge for the last few years. Players like him and scooter are valuable in this regard.

Really need Nakia (rampage) to get on the field and string games together. I think we would have won on Thursday had he not been injured and will be vital for our finals chances. Kicks and handballs tell only half the story. He brings not just pressure but fear and intimidation. He tackles to hurt. You could see some of the Adelaide players were worried a few weeks ago. The team has been missing a hard edge for the last few years. Players like him and scooter are valuable in this regard.

100% agree. Could've used a better word than "string some games together" ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely disagree. I'd doubt there would be a player who instills fear in anyone in the modern game.

Yes, he tackles with real intent. That part is great. But he's also reckless and undisciplined with it, and is giving away frees when he doesn't need to. He remains right now a very overrated player, who still has a lot to learn.

Completely disagree. I'd doubt there would be a player who instills fear in anyone in the modern game.

Yes, he tackles with real intent. That part is great. But he's also reckless and undisciplined with it, and is giving away frees when he doesn't need to. He remains right now a very overrated player, who still has a lot to learn.

Certainly at least a bit overrated. He was much hyped when drafted and while he hasn't disapppinted in terms of his athleticism, I'd argue the point with several posters around here about his supposed fantastic footy smarts.

Certainly at least a bit overrated. He was much hyped when drafted and while he hasn't disapppinted in terms of his athleticism, I'd argue the point with several posters around here about his supposed fantastic footy smarts.
Definitely agree - havent seen the "footy smarts" - it is all just full-on bull-at-a-gate stuff so far. Having said that, he has hardly had any continuity to show much either.

In the modern game I think teams instill fear.
And I don't mean "these guys will all take cheap shots". It's "this team is brutal around the ball".

Plenty thought that was too early. Just because he appeared to make it through ok doesn't make it right.
A ship is safe in harbour and all that. They thought he had recovered and he played a full game of AFL football without any problems. He then had a break and trained strongly enough that they trusted him to get through another game. Maybe that was still too soon but at some point it just needs to be accepted that even a healthy Nakia is probably still more prone to hamstring injuries than the average bear and not much can be done for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back