• 6 -> 10

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 11 -> 15

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • 16+

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its pretty clear. He could be anything at this stage. He looks like he has the potential to be Brownlow medallist quality. Or he might hit his peak and plateau close to where he is right now. Let's just sit back and enjoy watching him develop for awhile. That's part of the fun supporting a footy club.

It was the same 15 years ago with Hawkins… then Bartel..and Bews… and Ling.. oh add Boris… Kelly.. even Gaj copped it.

Sone people have unrealistic expectations and timelines and want to die on that hill… so they usually do.

It’s like that wave on the rock… eventually it wears down.. Tanner will be fine as he develops into the position.. his body and the role IMO.

Till then.. the squeaking will confine.

Go Catters

They're easing him in as they do all young midfielders. That's the exciting thing as far as building his tank and phasing more minutes into him over the next couple of years, isn't it?

Over the past 7 weeks he's averaged 17 disposals and 0.7 goals from 60% game time. Last year he was averaging 12 disposals and 0.4 goals from 70% game time. Almost a 50% spike on those metrics. If he made a similar jump in the next couple of years he'd be around 24 disposals and a goal a game. if we give him time and back him, who knows, it might just work out. Or we could sit here rubbishing him and looking like a fool. Either are good options.

TBF you'd expect a sizable increase in disposals/game considering he is playing much more midfield time compared to when he was at GWS.

I think he's met, or slightly exceeded, expectations this year. He's not the finished product, but has some traits to suggest he'll become a very good AFL player. He could also plateau and just be a solid role player. Like you say, time will tell.

It was the same 15 years ago with Hawkins… then Bartel..and Bews… and Ling.. oh add Boris… Kelly.. even Gaj copped it.

Sone people have unrealistic expectations and timelines and want to die on that hill… so they usually do.

It’s like that wave on the rock… eventually it wears down.. Tanner will be fine as he develops into the position.. his body and the role IMO.

Go Catters
Bews?

Other than that I get your point and agree.

TBF you'd expect a sizable increase in disposals/game considering he is playing much more midfield time compared to when he was at GWS.

I think he's met, or slightly exceeded, expectations this year. He's not the finished product, but has some traits to suggest he'll become a very good AFL player. He could also plateau and just be a solid role player. Like you say, time will tell.
True but his game time is less and his goals have gone up too. He started the year slowly but should be consistently passing Atkins next year I reckon. Who knows from there.

Yes, I doubt very much that posters are going to give Bruhn the latitude of the 80 games it took before Bews became a decent player
Is he willing to hide in a back pocket to test that hypothesis? :D

Yes, I doubt very much that posters are going to give Bruhn the latitude of the 80 games it took before Bews became a decent player
I was more questioning the 15 year time frame.

Go Catters

Get your point but I feel its slightly different . Those were all drafted players..some Father Sons which brings with it its own stewed brew of vindictivness... what did they say as Gary was at the Falcons..only getting a game based on his surname?

I feel its a bit different as we trade him in. Just how much time are some willing to give to trade in player. I feel like he at OHenry is really just like advanced drafted players...neither will be at the best for years yet ... 23 ish and 50-75 games is usually a good gauge.

I know he didn't have the biggest impact earlier in the season, but he's definitely been improving each week and seems to have a real love for the contest & tough stuff

Our earlier season situation where he found himself not necessarily playing his preferred role reminded me a bit of the Kelly/Guthrie situation, where Cam was playing more as an outside option with Kelly in the guts. Then after Kelly returned to WA, Cam stepped into the vacant inside mid role where he's been rewarded with an AA blazer & 2 x Carji's

With Cam unfortunately on the sidelines with his toe injury, it's opened up an inside mid spot which Bruhn had grabbed with two hands

He's getting better each week, the confidence is growing and it's great to see this youngster growing before our eyes

With only the 43 games under his belt which includes a number as either the sub or subbed off, can't wait to see what he's like after another 50 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably won't happen. But the 'I Was Wrong' thread really should be due some action at this point, based on how Tanner is demonstrably improving even over the course of this season.

He is showing plenty for a player with just over 40 seniors games under his belt. And fills an obviously massive need for this team going forward, with the departure of the skipper last year and with Danger and Guth far closer to the end than to the beginning.

I know I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing him continue to grow into his role over the next few seasons. Shows every sign of being a 10-year player in the hoops. And the minimum fuss. maximum intent style with which he plays the game is a real winner as well.

The #4 is clearly in good hands.

Building really well, very happy-i always knew he would be a good player if he got the consistent midfield time. Hopefully we keep giving him that as he will thrive.

Looking every bit like he will be a 200+ game player.
Like so many other elements of analysis we hear about players on here, there is so often an emphasis on what players apparently can't do. Rather than a solid appreciation of what they do have in their kit bag. I believe Tanner's positive traits are very evident so far...

Wins the hard ball
Tackles with intent
Finds the goals
Doesn't fumble
Comfortable on both sides of the body
Evades congested situations with some style

Added to those very creditable qualities, he's now showing some real ability to link up in possession chains. Giving the ball and then moving to a handy position to get it back again. This will be a great asset as he looks to build his possession count and his contribution to our overall output as a team.

So I'll comfortably take all of those positives over any analysis of his supposed shortcomings at this point. It's an extremely solid foundation to build from in the future. And I'm backing him to leverage all of those strengths into a very, very handy career with the Cats.

Back