West Indies vs England, 3 test matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't think of Robson, he should play in the Ashes, not Lyth. Just scored 178 for Middlesex as well.

Bringing Trott back was just stupid, I don't see the point of it. Agree it would have been a good opportunity to debut Lyth, or even just played Robson instead of Trott

Yes look I don't think Robson is fantastic BUT would I debut a rookie opener against Harris, MJ, etc...probably not. You don't want to hurt him long term. That may seem like you are protecting him but England have to look a bit longer term. If Robson has scored runs, you would assume he should be selected.

What about Ian Bell or Joe Root returning to the top of the order? Solid enough, and allows England to play Balance and Taylor both in the middle order, or at a long shot throw in that KP bloke we're always hearing about

Lyth should have been opening in the Windies. He has now gone for weeks without a decent hit while the county championship has been going on without him. There are a few weeks now between the New Zealand tests and England need to get Lyth back playing to give him a chance. He has to be the first choice, given he was in the Windies as their opener.

Robson has certainly made a case for himself, but it would be very cruel to pick Lyth for the WI tour, not play him then pick Robson because he has made runs while Lyth was a drinks waiter.

Didn't think of Robson, he should play in the Ashes, not Lyth. Just scored 178 for Middlesex as well.

Bringing Trott back was just stupid, I don't see the point of it. Agree it would have been a good opportunity to debut Lyth, or even just played Robson instead of Trott
It was absolutely not stupid. Why wouldn't you attempt to bring him back? They did the same thing 3 years ago when KP had his little "It's Tough Being Me" meltdown and told opponents what he thought of his own captain. Then they brought him KP back, and some good things happened and some bad things happened too and they cut ties with him. (we could make a Brad Haddin comparison as well too)

Well Trott had a meltdown of sorts too that saw him leave the team for awhile, he then went back to county cricket, scored 3 tons for the season, and scored a double ton for the England Lions as well. There was a spot available at the top of the order. Trott was a number 3, so that's fine. Why wouldn't you attempt to bring back one of your most reliable players when you're desperately struggling to fill a position in the team. It was good opportunity for Lyth sure, and it was a good opportunity to bring back Trott too, who again, averaged over 50 for 40 odd tests. It would have been astonishingly stupid to not give Trott a chance again. It didn't work out. So be it. It was the correct decision though.

Yes look I don't think Robson is fantastic BUT would I debut a rookie opener against Harris, MJ, etc...probably not. You don't want to hurt him long term. That may seem like you are protecting him but England have to look a bit longer term. If Robson has scored runs, you would assume he should be selected.

Well they're playing the Kiwis first.

You also can't hide a batsman

It was absolutely not stupid. Why wouldn't you attempt to bring him back? They did the same thing 3 years ago when KP had his little "It's Tough Being Me" meltdown and told opponents what he thought of his own captain. Then they brought him KP back, and some good things happened and some bad things happened too and they cut ties with him. (we could make a Brad Haddin comparison as well too)

Well Trott had a meltdown of sorts too that saw him leave the team for awhile, he then went back to county cricket, scored 3 tons for the season, and scored a double ton for the England Lions as well. There was a spot available at the top of the order. Trott was a number 3, so that's fine. Why wouldn't you attempt to bring back one of your most reliable players when you're desperately struggling to fill a position in the team. It was good opportunity for Lyth sure, and it was a good opportunity to bring back Trott too, who again, averaged over 50 for 40 odd tests. It would have been astonishingly stupid to not give Trott a chance again. It didn't work out. So be it. It was the correct decision though.

Yeah, I had no problem with them picking Trott. If he had shown that he was ready for the challenge, it would be silly not to give him a go. Strange to play him as an opener though, when an opener was available and sat the whole series out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I had no problem with them picking Trott. If he had shown that he was ready for the challenge, it would be silly not to give him a go. Strange to play him as an opener though, when an opener was available and sat the whole series out.

We make way too much fuss about batting positions sometimes. Most of the times. Almost every single time actually. The best opener in world cricket right now never really opened until he was like 19 and only in a ODer. (Warner, obviously). Simon Katich broke the most runs in a shield season batting number 3, and got picked as an opener again because only that spot freed up. Langer in 2001 too. It's no big deal. Trott got picked he was considered a better batsman, and there's nothing to suggest he isn't, and moving up one spot didn't change much for Trott. What sucks is that now people will say "Duh, Trott was finished!". 3 games isn't enough time to say that, despite that horrid dismissal, particularly when in his 3 FC games prior to the tour he scored 368 runs in 'em.

Bowls quick, adds something different to the attack
At the moment Anderson, Broad and Jordan are all fairly similar types of pace bowlers. Just feel that they have to try something different

He has a first class bowling average of over 36, a list A bowling average of over 34 and this season in county is averaging over 50.

I don't get the obsession people have with him at the moment.

He probably is a pretty talented player but he doesn't belong anywhere near the international team at the moment

April 13-17, Antigua
April 21-25, Grenada
May 1-5, Barbados

England squad:
Alastair Cook (c), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Chris Jordan, Adam Lyth, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Mark Wood

West Indies is TBA.

My England XI:
Cook
Bell
Root
Trott
Lyth
Stokes
Buttler
Broad
Plunkett
Tredwell
Anderson
Thank you for your information. my best wishes for England.

He's aged an not particularly fast, but Chris Rushworth is a pretty remarkable story and has been taking the piss out of batting lineups for a couple of seasons now. Would be an interesting move if they turned to him, but doesn't seem like he's on the radar (which is understandable, it's reasonable to expect his wicket taking knack will struggle to translate to test level).

Plunkett had a bit of success last summer. Think he'll be a better option than Jordan when the series starts.

We make way too much fuss about batting positions sometimes. Most of the times. Almost every single time actually. The best opener in world cricket right now never really opened until he was like 19 and only in a ODer. (Warner, obviously). Simon Katich broke the most runs in a shield season batting number 3, and got picked as an opener again because only that spot freed up. Langer in 2001 too. It's no big deal. Trott got picked he was considered a better batsman, and there's nothing to suggest he isn't, and moving up one spot didn't change much for Trott. What sucks is that now people will say "Duh, Trott was finished!". 3 games isn't enough time to say that, despite that horrid dismissal, particularly when in his 3 FC games prior to the tour he scored 368 runs in 'em.

Agreed. Trott had a good return to cricket with Warwickshire last year and then made some characteristic centuries as captain of the Lions in South Africa. Whilst it was a negative move in selecting him ahead of Lyth and Robson it is a somewhat understandable one.

Selecting Trott made some sense when we consider the concerns about Cook's form.

No it didn't. It is a typical 'we don't want to lose by much' selection. Robson or Lyth could have had 3 tests to get a partnership going. Instead they went for a rather short term fix again. It is so typical England. If Cook fails you dress that when it happens, you don't select an opener to protect a bloke who has 100 tests or whatever to his name.

Agree with this, but I don't think he should have been opening, all water under the bridge now, Poms can move on.

Anyway, apart from Trott, which I think it a bit sad, great that the Windies got up, never thought they had it in them.

Says volumes about the English bowling apart from Anderson.

Trott obviously thought it was enough and that his time was up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back