Opinion What do you think our Draft Strategy will be? (Poll)

Draft Strategy? (SL = "Senior List", RLA = "Rookie List cat A", ignoring Cox as Cat B)

• 38 SL (+ P5, Moore, Varcoe, Greenwood, Frost) and 6 RLA (Gault + 5 newbies) - 0 delist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Both are Kp/ part time rucks. I too would like insurance in the form of another genuine ruckman thru the rookie draft.

If we select Wright at 5 that may change. Even though he is a ruck/ forward, at 203cm he has spent plenty of time in the ruck and will continue to get bigger and stronger after a full season in an AFL environment enabling to play games next year.
I think that it depends on where people think that we are at. if we got wright that would give us " potentially " 3 A grade ruckman which would be a massive waste as you aren't going to play 3 ruckman in the same team. even though wright is fwd.

I think that it depends on where people think that we are at. if we got wright that would give us " potentially " 3 A grade ruckman which would be a massive waste as you aren't going to play 3 ruckman in the same team. even though wright is fwd.
I see him as a forward first that would rotate thru the ruck.

Gault is not on the Senior List

Neither is Frost... yet
You could keep Frost on the rookie for a 3rd year but promote him to replace Cafe/Shaz as LTI's then promote him post round 11. Don't know what difference that makes to his wage which is not unimportant given the service he's given.

As far as I know, being rookie or senior listed only sets a minimum salary package. Club can sign a contract to pay a rookie whatever they like above that as is the case with Cox. So where Frost sits doesn't necessarily impact his salary, it's more about giving him some certainty. Particularly as it'll be just as tight again at the end of the 2015 season and there isn't the prospect of a few retirees to create space like this year.

Such a funny question, because as we stand now, we either don't promote Frost, or we promote him and delist another player yet, to give us the room. I noticed after I originally posted this, that it has been covered in discussion already, but this is still relevant.

OUT: Beams, Lumumba, Ball, Maxwell, Clarke, Lynch
IN: Greenwood, Varcoe, Crisp, Moore, Frost???

6 out, 5 in, means one more pick at pick 5 and we are done.

UNLESS we delist one of Ramsey, Oxley, Armstrong, Dwyer.

We only had 39 on the senior list in 2014, Hudson was promoted as the 40th player preseason. So that's technically 7 out and 3+ Moore in. Leaves us either 3 picks at the draft or 2 + Frost upgrade.

My understanding is this ...

- Start by forgetting about category B rookies (ie: Mason Cox), they're completely outside of this discussion.

- After all the drafts are complete teams will have exactly 44 players on their combined Senior + Cat A rookie list.

- They will have minimum 38 senior listed players plus minimum 4 category A rookies.

- So that means they will have 38 + 6 or 39 + 5 or 40 + 4.

- At the start of the 2015 season all teams will have exactly 40 players on their senior list (ignoring LTI). So if a team had 38 senior listed at the end of the draft period, then they could elevate 2 before the start of the season. (Or if they had 39 then they could elevate 1). IIRC in 2013 we were 38 + 6 and elevated Frost and Hudson; and in 2014 we were 39 + 5 and elevated Frost.

- Having 38 + 6 has the advantage that the club can decide after pre-season which 2 of the 6 it elevates to the senior list. Obviously it has the disadvantage that the rookie draft is weaker (or more speculative) than the national draft.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong

Frost was elevated for the LTI to Scharenberg, Hudson took the 40th place on the senior list.

Frost has been given a 2 year deal. Would be very different if he stayed a rookie for 2015. If he did though, we'd still have access to use him with Shazza's injury then the round 11 rookie elevation.

I still think he'll be on the senior list next year and there's a player to be demoted from the senior list to the rookie list.

Frost has been given a 2 year deal. Would be very different if he stayed a rookie for 2015. If he did though, we'd still have access to use him with Shazza's injury then the round 11 rookie elevation.

I still think he'll be on the senior list next year and there's a player to be demoted from the senior list to the rookie list.
Can't be done. We would have to run the draft gauntlet. When is Dwyer's contract up? He could be in trouble if it's this season, although he would probably be picked up elsewhere

We have until Friday 31 October to upgrade Frost.
If not, then we no longer have to delist another player & can proceed to use pick 48 in the National draft.
I prefer this option. We simply upgrade him for LTI injury prior to season commencement.
A good list management decision that Frosty must understand.

We have until Friday 31 October to upgrade Frost.
If not, then we no longer have to delist another player & can proceed to use pick 48 in the National draft.
I prefer this option. We simply upgrade him for LTI injury prior to season commencement.
A good list management decision that Frosty must understand.

Well I can see your Point but would he stay at the Club if he is put back on the Rookie List

Frost has signed a two year deal.
He automatically is upgraded and can't be put on the rookie list.

Frost has signed a two year deal.
He automatically is upgraded and can't be put on the rookie list.
Absolute rubbish. He can certainly remain on the rookie list for 2015 if the club wishes, then he has to be placed on the senior list in 2016.
Let's see what the club decides by Friday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I can see your Point but would he stay at the Club if he is put back on the Rookie List
I think he would understand the situation.
He can be upgraded via LTI & effectively play every game next season if selected.
He would obviously prefer to be on the senior list, however for that to happen Collingwood must promote him by this Friday & then must delist another senior player or not use pick 48.
If the club intends to keep all 37 players currently on the senior list (including Moore in the 37) & use pick 48, then Frost cannot be promoted as yet.
They can pay Frost his market value salary & promise to promote him prior to season commencement, hence same result for Frost, whilst the club maximizes their list management goals & drafting strategy.

I think he would understand the situation.
He can be upgraded via LTI & effectively play every game next season if selected.
He would obviously prefer to be on the senior list, however for that to happen Collingwood must promote him by this Friday & then must delist another senior player or not use pick 48.
If the club intends to keep all 37 players currently on the senior list (including Moore in the 37) & use pick 48, then Frost cannot be promoted as yet.
They can pay Frost his market value salary & promise to promote him prior to season commencement, hence same result for Frost, whilst the club maximizes their list management goals & drafting strategy.
We will delist a player on Friday to allow us to promote Frost AND use pick 48.

Likely to be a player we will re-rookie if available. Probably Oxley at this stage.

I see him behind Brown.
I agree. Brown is ahead of Frost.
I would prefer Reid go back (& swing forward from time to time).
Hence Reid & Brown for me.
Frost is best 25-27. Keep him on rookie list.
Use picks 5, 30 & 48. No more delistings.

I agree. Brown is ahead of Frost.
I would prefer Reid go back (& swing forward from time to time).
Hence Reid & Brown for me.
Frost is best 25-27. Keep him on rookie list.
Use picks 5, 30 & 48. No more delistings.

Well for mine our forward line can't function without Reid. So I'd go with Brown as the lock down defender ahead of Frost and Keeffe as the centre half-back to replace Reid's rebounding ability.

Well for mine our forward line can't function without Reid. So I'd go with Brown as the lock down defender ahead of Frost and Keeffe as the centre half-back to replace Reid's rebounding ability.

Problem with this is that neither Keeffe or Brown are suited to mobile tall forwards - eg. Franklin, Cameron, Gunston. Frost is our man for these guys, he's also pretty good on the gorillas. In order to have a settled backline, he's the first of them that I'd pick.

Problem with this is that neither Keeffe or Brown are suited to mobile tall forwards - eg. Franklin, Cameron, Gunston. Frost is our man for these guys, he's also pretty good on the gorillas. In order to have a settled backline, he's the first of them that I'd pick.

Goldsack and Toovey can play on the mobile types. Frost on gorillas he is okay but not as good as Brown and Brown has better records on guys like Hawkins, Roughead and Kennedy. Bring Frost in against teams with taller forwardlines. Also Brown doesn't have to stand 5m behind his opponent to be effective.

Goldsack and Toovey can play on the mobile types. Frost on gorillas he is okay but not as good as Brown and Brown has better records on guys like Hawkins, Roughead and Kennedy. Bring Frost in against teams with taller forwardlines. Also Brown doesn't have to stand 5m behind his opponent to be effective.

Goldsack or Toovey on Franklin? No thanks.

If the club explains the situation to Frost i.e we intend to upgrade you via LTI prior to season, hence you will be on the senior list & avail for selection, we think you are part of our best 25 etc going forward.
This gives him the confidence to be ok with the decision.
He won't be like Martin...stuck in the VFL...he will be in the selection mix every week.
It also avoids the risk of delisting another player & attempt to rookie that player...we could miss out on him
We can also use pick 48 in the draft, which may land us a reasonable player.
Good Football management in my view.

Back