Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd played 2 then did the rest of the Enzio story with Brotherhood and Revelations, now onto 3.. Didn't love it at first but now right into it

I've just been introduced to Connor as a kid.
I didn't play all of revelations, about half way through but finished brotherhood completely.
To keep up with the story I jumped on wiki and YouTube.
Can't wait for black flag.
Oh and SPOILERS!!!! I loved the bit where the present guys find out that British dude was a Templar and NOT an assassin! /SPOILER.

I've just been introduced to Connor as a kid.
I didn't play all of revelations, about half way through but finished brotherhood completely.
To keep up with the story I jumped on wiki and YouTube.
Can't wait for black flag.
Oh and SPOILERS!!!! I loved the bit where the present guys find out that British dude was a Templar and NOT an assassin! /SPOILER.
Yeah I did the whole 'wait.. what!?' That Desmond does as well

Good Evening fellow Cats fans and opposition lurkers,

Apologies for the delay but I am happy to finally introduce my next guest (sorry JUBJUB your name isn't up in the lights any more)

Tonight we sit and chat with Strangled Cat

Enjoy

The standard way to start.... why the Cats for you?

If you're born and bred in Geelong, there's a very good chance that you'll go for the Cats, should you choose to follow AFL. I fall into this category - being born and bred in Geelong and finding AFL a very exciting game from a very yong age - it was as much a formality for me as it was a statistical likelihood.

Was it also a family thing? Or just something you picked up as a young lad in Geelong?

It definitely wasn't a family thing. As a first generation Australian, neither one of my parents had any interest in footy until much later on. In fact, it was me who got my mum into football and the reason why she's been a GFC member and season ticket holder since 1999.

If I may, I'll take you back to was five years old, when I first became aware of AFL (or VFL as it still was back then). It was September 1989 and the town was adorned in blue and white, houses had posters stuck on the inside of the lounge windows etc. I asked my mum what was going on, why is there blue and white everywhere? Given her lack of knowledge in footy, she muttered something along the lines of "oh I don't know, just something to do with football". My interest piqued, morbid curiosity got the better of me and after many subsequent (and no doubt annoying) questions at the direction of my extremely uninformed mother, my journey of supporting the GFC was born!

And how was it as a child fan during the 90s in Geelong?

How was it as a child growing up in the 90s and barracking for the Cats? Agony and ecstacy.

The first game of Aussie Rules I watched was the '89 GF, after convincing my mum to let me watch it so I could see what all the fuss was about. Even though I'd never seen a game before, even though I had no clue of the rules, even through all of the ignorance a five year old could harbour, I knew that I was witnessing something special in Gary Ablett Snr. And so too began the roller coaster ride through the '90s of the agony and the ecstacy.

I remember the lead up to the 1992 GF. I was so excited. I had a full grasp of the game by that stage. I was only eight, but the loss in '89 still sat badly in my gut for three long years. We all know what happened, I need not chronicle the timeline of I failed GF attempts, other than to use it as a point of reference to how I felt at any given time. And most of the time, watching an amazing side and living in hope and faith that they'll keep chipping away and eventually get there just made my support of the club stronger than ever.

It's funny though, reflecting back on all of those GF losses doesn't bother me as much as the nagging "what if's" that still haunt me today with regards to the 1993 season. At least all those GF losses have an answer, but 1993 still bothers me in that I genuinely believe that we would have won it, had the Adelaide v Collingwood game ended in a slightly different result.

From agony in the 90s to ecstacy in the last decade.... how has that been for you as a cats fan.
Especially given that whilst you were in the middle of it living in Geelong in the 90s you had moved to South Aus for the recent success

The success that we've had as a club has been nothing short of phenomenal. I honestly thought that I'd never see the club win a GF in my lifetime. I just didn't think that the club had it in itself to go all the way. To me, the club seemed to lack the hard-nosed attitude combined with the requisite professionalism that "other clubs" had. So, to win three Grand Finals in five years, to break many records along the way and to actuallyplaythe game the way it should be played - I couldn't be more proud of the club's achievements throughout this golden era.

As for living in South Australia throughout the golden era? It's been tough at times to not be amongst the action. It's been even tougher due to the fact that up until the most recent television rights deal, having Foxtel didn't at all guarantee that Geelong would be televised weekly. But apart from that, it's been a unique and rewarding experience. From getting an almost rock star reception by every Crows' fan on the Tuesday morning that I returned to work after the '07 GF, right through to celebrating with randoms in the city (of Adelaide) who just generally hated Collingwood after the '11 GF... it's been a very different experience to living in Geelong, that's for sure!

I've made a point of getting back to Vic at least twice a year, and as you're well aware, an annual pilgrimage to Kardinia Park is a non-negotiable. I've also attended just about every game the club has played in SA since '05. I still get my footy fix living in this state at least, it's just rarely that I'll hear or read much local content regarding the Geelong Football Club. It might have been a slightly different story, had I moved to a non-traditional AFL state. Thankfully though, the internet and especially BigFooty more than anything, has allowed me to keep up with everything that's going on with the club and the town in general.

So how did you get onto big footy?

I'd been working and studying in a remote area of South Australia for the majority of 2009 and had found myself online a lot to fill in time when I wasn't engaged in either of the above. I was due to finish up for good and head back to Adelaide on the Friday before the round 14 game versus St.Kilda in which both clubs were undefeated. I'd been on google, searching for some more goss on the game, other than what the AFL website could provide. I stumbled across BigFooty a few days before the round 14 clash. The rest, as they say, is history...

And what do you enjoy the most about the site?

Like any forum with a significant amount of members, this place is never static, even in the off-season. Interaction between posters means that you're fed information in real time. And a general rule of thumb, like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it.

Specifically regarding BigFooty though, obviously the content discussed interests me, because it's AFL. But it's the great people who've made this place as good as it is. Sure, there's the odd bit of bullshit that you need to wade through to get to the good bits. But, over time you realise who the quality posters are and you figure out whose posts to take seriously and whose posts you let slip through to the keeper.

I think the best part of the forum for me though has been the meet-ups. I'm a sociable person, I enjoy the company of other like-minded people and/or people who I share one or many common interests with. I've met some great people like yourself, and even someone else who, as it turned out, I knew from back in the days when I lived in Geelong. There's many others who I endeavour to one day meet in person, should the opportunity present itself.

I touched on the meet ups with Shell, and I'll ask you a similar question... how did you feel before going to your first meet up? Was there any nerves or sense of stigma about meeting up with people from a footy forum? Or were you just excited to be amongst it?

This isn't the first forum that I've met up with people. As a car and motorcycle enthisiast, I've met up on many occasions across multiple forums for motorsport events, cruises, dyno days etc. So to answer your question, there were no nerves nor did I feel like there was any stigma attached to what I was doing. I was just genuinely excited to be amongst it.

There may have been a stigma years ago about meeting people online, for what reason I'm not sure... there could be a multitude of reasons! Perhaps there's still an ignorant minority out there who think meeting unknown persons from the internet is some kind of clandestine activity and that one's intentions could only to engage in shady dealings. Either way, these days everyone is meeting online, whether it be for love, or for engaging in an organised event through a forum/club/enthusiast group etc.

A fantastic attitude... and from that I take that you think MORE of big footys finest should embrace the meet ups

It would be great if more people embraced the meet-ups, definitely. The more the merrier, especially BigFooty's finest! But I understand why many wouldn't want to, and not for the negative stigma that we touched on earlier. Some people are shy and/or uncomfortable around new people, some people have confidence issues and some people are just very private and prefer the anonymity that a forum provides.

Also, from what I've been told, some people believe that putting faces to names will change their forum experience forever and as a result, are subsequently apprehensive about doing so. Meet-ups probably aren't for everybody, so I'd only recommend attending to those who don't feel like it would effect them or their future forum experience in a negative way.

Really? I'd never even thought about the potential of that...

Neither had I, until someone told me!

Probably a very good example of the different mindsets of the different types of people that frequent this place as well though

Yeah, definitely. But this place really is just a micrcosm of the world we live in. All walks of life are attracted to our great game in some capacity or another, so stands to reason that BigFooty would attract people from all walks of life. We're united by one common interest, but as has been evidenced on many an occasion, there's so many varied perspectives on the one topic, and whilst that can result in some strained dialogue at times, you wouldn't have the forum any other way, would you? Well I know that I wouldn't, anyway...

So what did you make of season 2014?

Regarding Geelong's season, or the competion overall?

Geelongs season mostly, but feel free to share your thoughts on the season as a whole if you like

With Hawthorn having gone back to back, if it's all the same to you, I'll just stick to discussing Geelong thanks!

By almost any measure, our 2014 season was disappointing. We started off superbly, then dropped off before making a bit of a surge late in the season. But overall, our final position on the ladder at the end of the H&A season flattered us. I thought this at the time, and going out in straight sets just cemented the notion more than ever. It wasn't about losing games that was most disappointing for me, it was thewayin which we lost some of those games that was most disappointing. While I don't necessarily believe that we should have won every game that we'd lost outright - let's face, it no one can win every game every week - being a lot more competitive in our losses would have gone a long way to arresting the concerns I had over our 2014 campaign.

There were many reasons for why we struggled at times throughout 2014. Injuries hit all clubs and it's one of those things that club officials and the like avoid using as it comes across as making easy excuses for not addressing the real issues. In my opinion though, the injuries that we sustained prior to the commencement of and during the season went along way to throwing the club off course. Injuries to many key players, including not having a genuine #1 ruckman for large chunks of a season is always going to see a side struggle. I also felt that many players were underdone when they were played and struggled accordingly. Billie Smedts being brought back too early, as well as Hmac being played out of desperation are just a couple of examples of this.

I can't be completely negative towards the club though without at least throwing in some perspective to it all, and some positive thoughts, too. The club would be the first to admit that they made mistakes and that they didn't handle certain things as well as they could have in 2014. Had the club handled everything as well as they could have, it's hard to know just how much further our season would have progressed. We were genuinely not good enough to go with the top teams, it's that simple. Losing to North Melbourne shouldn't have happened though as I believe that we were a superior side to them this year.

If you can accept the reality that we just weren't good enough to win the flag this year for a multitude of reasons, it helps to put everything into perspective a bit more easily. We've just come off one of the most successful eras of all time, if not certainly the most successful era in the club's AFL/VFL history. Seven successive years of being a genuine chance of winning the flag, for three flags and one GF loss is longer than any other club can boast since Hawthorn of the '80s. I don't count 2014 as one of those years, because quite frankly we weren't a genuine chance. The 110 point loss to Sydney nailed the coffin of 2014 shut, in my opinion.

As an overall package, especially if you want to compare us to club's like St.Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, who've been up and about around our era, we were a competitive side that was well entrenched inside the top 8 by season's end. You couldn't mount a case to suggest that either of those three clubs were close to that, save for Collingwood in patches throughout the year. So, while 2014 was disappointing in many ways, the lessons have been learnt by the club. We're still up there, we're bringing through some promising young players, we're being led by arguably the best captain in the AFL and, our big key forward in Tommy Hawkins looks to be over the back injuries that plagued him throughout 2013. It's not all doom and gloom! And, while I'll temper my expectations of 2015, until I'm proven otherwise, I'll maintain my positive outlook on where the club is at and expect another big season from the boys .

Prior to the start of the 2014 season where did you see us finishing?

At the end of the home and away season, do you mean?

Just at the start of the year what were your expectations of the year ahead

My expectations were for us to finish around 4th to 6th on the ladder, and I thought that we'd at least make a semi-final, if not a prelim... I don't recall ever genuinely thinking that we'd even make the GF, let alone win it.

What positives did you take from 2014 for us?

Tom Hawkins' well publicised bulging disc problem appears to be under control. That's a huge relief as much as it is an outright positive aspect.

I believe that I touched on it previously, but the fact that we'restillcompetitive, we haven't dropped off like some of the other clubs that have been up and about around the same time as us, is a massively positive thing. We didn't have it easy in 2014, but we still battled through, won many close games and showed the football world that we won't bottom out.

Other than that, the development of some of our young players seems to be coming along nicely. Cam Guthrie and Mitch Duncan's development has been impressive, while Mark Blicavs has been developing at a phenomenal rate. As well as those guys, Hartman, McCarthy and Lang made impressive debuts thid year, too. All of that was on display in 2014, and it all bodes well for the future.

Which of the kids/recent additions excites you the most?

Can I refer to Daniel Menzel as a new addition and say that he excites me the most? Nah, just kidding! I'm not going to tempt fate with that one! Look, there's three that absolutely stand out in my mind as players that excite me. Two are newbies who've yet to make their AFL debut, and one is a forward/ruck we poached from Melbourne.

Mitch Clark:
How could you not be excited by this bloke? Sure, there's concerns over his mental and physical wellbeing, but that's mutually exclusive to the excitement and anticipation of the prospect that he's over the issues, and that the risk therefore pays off tenfold. At his best, he's an absolutely elite forward. If he can get back to his 2012 form, in tandem with Hawkins they could be the most dangerous forward combo in the comp. If he doesn't... nothing ventured, nothing gained! You don't get elite talent with a second round pick on a modest salary without some sort of a risk.

Jarrad Jansen:The kid is a unit. Standing at 193cm, he's a natural inside mid who, from what I've seen is very good overhead too. I expect big things from him, including at least five games in 2015. I genuinely think that in five years time, he'll be one of the best big-bodied inside mids in the comp.

Nakia Cockatoo:Do I really need to give a reason!? Okay, I won't leave you hanging!
C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
. Nakia has all the attributes to be a star of the game. If a geneticist were able to create the perfect specimen for playing Australian rules football in the midfield, you'd have a production line of Nakia Cockatoos. The guy was born to be a hybrid inside/outside midfielder. Let's just check his credentials, shall we?

Elite pace: Check!

Elite footskills: Check!

Solid frame to build upon: Check!

Has played and excelled in both areas of the midfield: If his highlight reel is anything to go by, that's another check!

Hails from elite football stock: Check!

Is of good character: I'll check the box just on gut instinct. The kid really seems like a genuine fella.

So, of the three I listed above, if I HAD to pick just one, it would be the bloke that ticks the most boxes. And there's no prizes for guessing who, in my mind, that'd be! :D

Is Cockatoo going to be 'your boy' ;)

Haha, nah... he's too obvious to be able to claim as someone that "will end up being a gun". I think I'll stick fat with George Horlin-Smith and hope that he continues to develop, with one day perhaps ending up becoming the player that I think he has the potential to be.

And what is it about the Hyphen that you see or that excites you the most?

Chris Scott has been quoted as saying that "George is a very coachable player". I can't cite the rest of the quote from the top of my head, but I can recall that he went on to say something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing here) "... and if every player was as coachable as him, our jobs wouldn't be as nearly as hard". Academic intelligence and footy smarts can often be mutually exclusive, but in Hyphen's case, I am of the firm belief that he's both.

Hyphen reads the game really well, he's demonstrated extreme poise under pressure and his disposal is elite by both hand and foot. He's got leadership written all over himself. He's of very good character, and this is something which I've heard from many sources (I don't mean to claim that I have "sources" per se, mind you). Also, given his highly successful background in junior cricket, it's fair to say that he could have, at the very least, an equal claim to being a potentially successful cricketer at the highest level. With that being said, if he backs himself to be a successful AFL player over any of his other potential successes, he's got my backing too

So what do you make of the boards thoughts on HS.... It seems people either rate him or write him off due to his speed, and then I guess further to that what do you make of the way we view all of our kids?

I think that too much is made of player's speed and athleticism these days and not enough is made of actual football ability. All things being equal, you'd prefer any player to have more speed and athleticism than less, but for me - I'll take football skills and ability to read play every day of the week. GHS hasn't proven much yet and he is very slow by foot, so it's no surprise that he's polarised opinions on the board. When he starts getting the runs on the board, the adulation will naturally follow.

As for what I make in the way of how we view our young players, do mean like whether I believe that as a collective, we apply the correct metrics to accurately judge their development, or just generally how the collective had judged our young players in general?

Yeah pretty much

I think that in general we seem to expect too much from our young players. We've been spoilt by success, so it's only natural that we as supprters struggle to accept that as a side, we're just not as good as we once were. As a result, we cling desperately to the hope that our young and inexperienced players can pick up from where all of our departing/declining champions have left off. We can't forget that our old champs were inexperienced kids once, too. With inexperience comes inconsistency, and it's the inconsistency which can cause the most frustration among fans.

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen enough from a lot of out young players to be confident that, should they be able to successfully bridge the gap of inconsistent performances, they'll be very good footballers. How good? Who knows! But the future looks bright from my armchair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this season, what are your expectations? And those considered what would you LIKE to see happen

I don't want to sound flippant, but I really could see a number of things happening and as such, my expectations are vast and non-specific to a single expectation. There is a variable band of possibilities, so until the facts play out, I struggle to play the game of Nostradamus. Forced to pick one possibility, I'd say that we'll finish in the lower order of the 8 and at best win one final.

What I'd like to see happen? A huge reduction of injuries, especially injuries to our youngsters. Every club experiences injuries and no club likes to use injury as an excuse, but there's no denying the fact that injuries can and often do play a big part in deciding who wins the premiership. You need a lot to go right to win a flag and injuries are something that we haven't had a lot of luck with in recent times. I fear that if we don't somehow stem the flow of injuries to our young players, it won't be their at times perceived lack of talent which will see us tumble down the ladder, it'll be their lack of development. One can only imagine just how good Daniel Menzel would have been today, given how he was tracking early on.

Unfortunately though, I feel that even if EVERYTHING goes right in 2015, we still just won't be quite good enough. Even if some of our youngsters really come on, even if the older guys don't drop their output, even if we don't have many more significant injuries, at best I could see us losing a preliminary final. I hope that I'm wrong, but if we made another prelim, our recruits play well and we don't have many further injuries to our young players, we would have reached our potential. I'd be happy, but furthermore, I'd be even more confident that should we see our youngsters have a great year in 2015, another prelim final - or better, wouldn't be out of the question.

Do you think the off field staff are the right people for the job to guide us through the continuing transition of the side?

For the most part, yes I do. While I don't feel like I am all that qualified to comment on a lot of the off-field aspects of the club as a lot of things happen behind closed doors which fans just aren't privy to the reasoning of, I think that only the most negative Nellies could at this stage have grave concerns about the future of the club based on the off-field staff.

The club itself it seems, also had concerns about some of its off-field staff, as evidenced by its turning over off staff from the medical team and right through to the assistant coaches. Whether the incumbents are a better fit for the club than their predecessors is anyone's guess, but I have faith in the club to make necessary and wholesale changes where required. As far as the core staff are are concerned; Brian Cook, Colin Carter, Chris Scott and Steve Hocking, they all have the runs on the board to varying degrees.

Brian Cook especially, has shown for nearly three decades that he's one of the best football administrators in the game. He's been credited for masterminding the financial turnaround from our dire position in the late '90s, to where we are today. When the day finally comes that he moves on, he'll be very hard to replace.

Colin Carter wasn't someone that I'd heard of prior to becoming president, but after having carried out some research into him upon his appointment, I was impressed with his philosophies both in a professional sense as well as in life and felt comfortable with him taking over from Frank Costa.

Chris Scott is an interesting one as I believe that he was a perfect fit for us at the time of his appointment, but he's an unknown quantity with regards to a side that is rebuilding. He extracted the most from a side which still had some unbelievable football left, but is still young and fresh enough that his enthusiasm for building a side wouldn't have been dulled. The next three years will be critical for him.

Steve Hocking is another unknown quantity in his current role. I'm hoping that he's got the drive, enthusiasm and the nous to make a decent fist of it. I'll trust the people who work with him on a daily basis to know that he's the right fit for the job. With Niel Balme moving on - on a side note a move which I feel was correct for both parties - Steve has a great opportunity to spuik his wares, so to speak.

What are your thoughts on the role the media play in todays footy? Is it good, bad, otherwise, too much, not enough etc etc

News of any kind, whether it be football related or otherwise, is so much more accessible than any other time in history. Unfortunately, that means that a lot ofgutter journalismis written, especially on the internet as it's in real time and ever-evolving. As is the case with any news - but football news especially, headlines of many articles published reek of ambiguity. Click-bait it seems is a sure-fire way to get 'hits' on articles over good, old fashioned quality well-researched journalism.

We as consumers lust for news of our beloved club firstly, and any kind of AFL news secondly, so we're aren't just part of the problem, wearethe problem. The discerning lot among us will be sceptical, pick holes through certain aspects which have been reported and, just generally not caught up in the wave of unfounded sensationalism which today's media let permeate through society.

Football commentary, just like football news has gone down the toilet. I cannot stand channel 7's commentary team, nor can I stand the way they've been instructed by channel 7 to deliver said commentary. I would just like the game to be called for what's happening in the vicinity of where the ball is and that's it! I don't care about which player's beard is the biggest, I don't care for the media's self-appointed nicknames of players, I only care about hearing quality commentary. I'll stick to watching T20 cricket and the E.J. Whitten Legends Match when I feel like hearing goofballs talking s**t in the commentary box. If the commentary team of the '90s can make a comeback, I'd be a very happy man.

One thing I do like however, is the accessibility of seeing games being played. Granted, you need to have Foxtel in order to be able to see every match, but that's fine by me as Foxtel are catering for a service which many of us would see the value in paying. Back in the day (and by day I mean the early/mid '90's), a lot of games were played Saturday afternoon, with one or two interstate games being played on Sunday. This meant that it was more unlikely to see your club on TV. While I like going to watch football played live, many cannot make it to games often, so the more footy available on TV the better IMO.

To summarise, I don't feel that the media have enhanced the game overall and I believe that their self-interest takes precedence over anything else. Quantity has compromised quality, so unfortunately it takes the discerning consumer a lot longer to wade through rubbish to get to the good bits - if at all. Or, mute the TV and stream the best radio station available while hoping like hell that the sound and the play are not out of sync!

And what about the game itself.... Do you like the way it is going? And by that I mean all aspects, the way it's being played, policed etc etc

I marvel at the modern AFL player; their skill, athleticism and strength. I marvel atsomeof the modern side's ability to pull off the most amazing, daring, risky football which is just beautiful to watch. I can say without bias that we've been one of those clubs, along with Hawthorn to a lesser degree and Port, who in 2014 played some of the most exciting footy I've ever seen. But then there's the clubs who have played the most dour, boring and downright uninspiring football I've ever seen. Fremantle, Melbourne and Sydney under Paul Roos have all played the defensive style of football which is frustrating and boring to watch.

I understand that coaches are paid to win games of football and to win at all costs, but I sometimes wonder at what cost to our great game. Gone are the days when two sides go head-to-head in a shootout, with the best offensive side winning. These days, as soon as one club gets the ascendency, the other club sets up defensive zones and tries to slow the game down in order to wrestle back momentum. Invariably, most sides most weeks will have points throughout a game when the creative flair of their players gets thrown out the window and regimental structures which all players train to be proficient in are put in place. This is part and parcel with what a team game is all about, and somewhat unfortunately it's a necessary evil if you want to win. Winning at all costs is the only thing relevant to a professional organisation.

Overall, I think that the best of what the modern game has to offer is probably the best kind of footy that I've seen in the 25 years that I've been watching the game. But unfortunately, games of such quality are few and far between, with many examples of the worst of what the modern game has become being on display every week, too. 15 years ago, the idea of watching any game of footy was a great one as I'd be happy to see any game, I didn't care. But these days I just won't even bother watching a game if a certain combination of clubs are playing. Saints, Dogs, Demons and the expansion clubs - hell even Carlton and Brisbane - can be and are boring to watch at certain times. It's not so much that they're crap as every competition has a club which finishes first and a club that finishes last, it's just that there's too big a gulf between the best and the worst sides. The talent pool is spread too thin and some of skills are just not up to AFL standard, in my opinion. With any luck, hopefully our club remains competitive, strong and continues to play the gameas it should be played.
As for the way the game is adjudicated, I think that it's done so terribly. The umpires are up against it, with the constant rule changes and complicated rules which aren't clear cut and are heavily reliant on interpretation. The tribunal is a farce, and the match review panel... seriously, please don't get me started! I'm not a fan of any of it. Carryover points, interpretations of impact, intent... but the worst part of it isn't it's complicated nature but rather the people behind it in the engine room running the show. Some of the ridiculously inconsistent findings that come out of the tribunal are just beyond belief. A system is only as good as the people running it, so hopefully the appointment of Mark Evans will see the system and the people running it improve twofold. The early signs appear promising. Here's hoping!

Do you get the same enjoyment out of footy as you did when younger?

Overall, I think that I get more enjoyment these days than when I was younger. Geelong being so successful has had a lot to do with that, though. We weren't bad in the '90s, we were just very,veryfrustrating to watch. I think that if I supported Melbourne though, I'd have given up on the game by now!

To put it very simply, I enjoy(ed) watching Geelong play more than in the '90s growing up, but non-Geelong matches I preferred back in the '90s. Should Geelong drop out of the 8 in the future and remain uncompetitive for years on end, I'll have feasted on enough of the club's success to see me content for a long time to come.

And the last question is simply
Who have you enjoyed watching the most as a Cat and why?

Gary Ablett Snr.

There's nothing I can add that anyone else wouldn't have already said. To put it simply, he's the most amazing footballer I've ever seen.

Thanks for your time mate.

So how did you get onto big footy?

I'd been working and studying in a remote area of South Australia for the majority of 2009 and had found myself online a lot to fill in time when I wasn't engaged in either of the above. I was due to finish up for good and head back to Adelaide on the Friday before the round 14 game versus St.Kilda in which both clubs were undefeated. I'd been on google, searching for some more goss on the game, other than what the AFL website could provide. I stumbled across BigFooty a few days before the round 14 clash. The rest, as they say, is history...

Strangled Cat - i found BF in almost the same way, except for the remote area thing... in the weeks leading up to round 14 2009, i typed something very similar to: 'who will win rd 14 geelong or st kilda?' into google to try and gauge opinions, and found BF.

="NSFB, post: 37118531, member: 137356"]Good game too! Bloody Gardiner:([/QUOTE

Cracking game that.
Great example of the Cats never say die attitude.
Looked gone most of the day,then bang,in 15 mins of footy nearly did enough to pinch it.[/QUOTE]

One of the best yet I reckon Willo_ and Strangled Cat!

Great read! :thumbsu:
Took a lot of editing because we did just wander away from it and talk crap a few times :D

But I agree... it was a good un...

Likely to be only 2 or 3 more remaining...

Took a lot of editing because we did just wander away from it and talk crap a few times :D

But I agree... it was a good un...

Likely to be only 2 or 3 more remaining...
The interviewee is only as good as the interviewer in front of him... that being said, thankfully we weren't live on air because as you mentioned, we did stray the course ever so slightly at times!

Once again, thanks mate. That was a blast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back