Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Am sad my name disappears from this thread tomorrow. :(

But looking forward to the next interview all the same!!! Thanks again Willo_ :)

Waiting for the next interview is like when you're a kid on Xmas Eve waiting for Xmas morning.You're just dying to see who/what it is,then you play/read it once and never use it again.

Waiting for the next interview is like when you're a kid on Xmas Eve waiting for Xmas morning.You're just dying to see who/what it is,then you play/read it once and never use it again.

Dunno about that - still love my Limited Edition Superheroes ViewMaster Pak. Played with it just last month. It's a certified Legendary Thread after all!
13.jpg

If you weren't going to get banned Jub I'd suggest you put up chocolate star fishes most famous song after Shells post

BREAKING: There may be an EARLY early release this week.... (due to the fact I am going out on the pis..... uh going out to catch up with some friends straight after work tomorrow)

Stay tuned

Good Evening fellow Cats fans and opposition lurkers,

Welcome to a very special Thursday edition of the Friday Inquisition.

This week we are joined by a very well respected and admired poster here, being the last Inquisition before the draft..... there was an obvious choice to fill the chair this week.

It is of course our draft guru thejester

Enjoy

We'll start with the standard one, what brought you to Big Footy?

Shameless bandwagon in the aftermath of our stirring NAB Cup win (was it even the NAB Cup back then?) over Adelaide in 2006. Just wanted somewhere to talk football...and then stuck around as we imploded over the regular season.

Would have made for some interesting reading that year i would imagine

Yeah, I'm sure there are some pretty embarrassing posts from everyone who was around in 06 buried in the archives. And to be fair, it was a horrible year - everyone talks about the loss to West Coast but the draw with Melbourne late in the season was just as bad. I remember looking down from the terraces and watching Mark Jamar burn Steven King on the lead. King just lumbered after him and then dropped his head in embarrassment when he took the mark...and then someone (Joel Corey?) walking past just turned his head away in disgust. Thought it perfectly summed up our season.

It's funny though, reading Partridge's comments in your last interview about the state of the board - the dynamic hasn't changed at all since 2006. When we lose, there's a backlash against the team. Then there's a backlash against the backlash, and then the two sides snipe at each other until the next game or the start of the season. All that changes is how many different people weigh in on which side, and that depends on how well the team is doing or has done recently. But if you had the time and the inclination (and it's the internet so I'm sure someone does) you could probably go back to 2006 and find the exact same arguments as we're having now, expect being argued by (some) different people.

So that being said do you find the forum a source of good discussion, or great frustration... or something else altogether

Good discussion rather than great frustration, although it's always a fine balance. It's a bit about choosing your battles - I'll read every post in an autopsy thread, but usually only skim preview threads for team news. In the same vein there are maybe a dozen posters whose stuff I'll go out of my way to read - in aggregate it gives a way better analysis of how the team is performing than what is available in the media.

That said, there are some consistent patterns that can be pretty frustrating. Seems like every year a player who has suffered a longterm injury will get really overhyped, and then crucified when they don't meet those expectations. Happened to Smedts, happened to McCarthy and now it's happening to Cowan. I look forward to the posts sinking the boot into him come about Round 4 when it turns out he's not the next Chris Judd.

And just on those players you mentioned, what do you expect to see from them, or what are your thoughts on them?

Smedts: disagree with the idea that he's a 'natural forward' and should be played there in the future. I'd like to see him played in midfield in preseason and in the VFL if necessary. Once he puts up decent numbers, give him a crack in the seniors - offers a point of difference to the other young midfielders and builds depth in that area, which we desperately need. If we consign him to a forward pocket I think it's basically an acknowledgement we've landed Aaron Fiora Mk II - he'll do the bare minimum necessary off the back of raw talent to survive in the seniors and otherwise stagnate.

McCarthy: I like him a lot, and think he'll be a really valuable player for us in a few years (haha who is guilty of overhyping now?) But right now he's far from the finished product. Hopefully another strong preseason gives him the fitness to run out games and even do stints in midfield. Think the absence of goals this season was more about bad luck and inexperience than any lack of talent.

Cowan: Everything I've seen from in the VFL and seniors suggests he's a solid footballer - finds the footy, has decent rather than outstanding skills, good decision maker, and can cover a lot of ground. Still on the fence about whether or not he'll have what it takes in the seniors or just end up being a good state league player. I'd actually like to see them give him a go as a tagger and free up Guthrie to hunt his own ball or go back to defence. Cowan's a decent size, has elite endurance and is a good enough player to be dangerous going the other way.

What made you a Cats fan?

My old man is a staunch Geelong supporter and my Mum couldn't care less, so Geelong it was. Getting to occasionally sit in Grandad's seat at the back of the Brownlow when I was little helped.

The other thing was - I was just old enough during the 90s to appreciate what had happened, be devastated by it, but also to realise that it was totally unacceptable to switch teams no matter what.

Now you are overseas aren't you? How do you find following it all given that?

Yeah I've been in Jakarta permanently the last year and was in Canberra two years before that...which may as well be overseas when it comes to footy. It's not too bad. Watching games was easy enough between getting a subscription to AFL Live and the Australia Network. I quite liked the time difference as well (3 hours during the season), there's just something civilised about watching footy over a late breakfast.

John Harms made this point once though about living in Canberra, that even though you can access all the Melbourne footy media anywhere you want now thanks to the internet, it's still just...different. No matter how much you stream SEN or read Bigfooty or watch Fox Footy, it's different. You're not in the bubble. And you're surrounded by civil servants who are interested in a) their jobs and b) (no matter where in Australia they originate from) rugby union. It's the same in Jakarta. You're just not immersed in it. But that can have its advantages...haven't had anyone remind me of our finals missteps recently.

So much like Daz, Bigfooty would really help fill a void regarding footy and all things Geelong?

Yeah definitely. I guess being in vaguely the same timezone (unlike Daz) I can at least message my mates at home during games etc, but Bigfooty fills a pretty big gap.

Now you of course are one of our board draft guru's, How on earth do you keep track of what is going on while not being in the state/country. I know I have spoken to Budda about how he does it and he says it is a lot of work, I'd imagine its a stack of effort for you?

The last couple of years I've been able to get back to Vic and see the last couple of games of the U18 championship, but sadly wasn't able to do that this year. Which is frustrating, because even though it's only a couple of games I think you do get a much better sense of the quality of junior players watching live. Zak Jones last year, for example - he wasn't dominating the games I watched but I thought he was one of Country's best players, and just looked a solid, well-rounded player. Going into the games he hadn't really been talked about, and still didn't generate a lot of buzz after the championships, but had a strong finish in the TAC and ends up as a first round pick. So the more you can watch guys live the better, I think.

That said I don't have anywhere near the work ethic of the really hardcore draft gurus. Watching the TAC takes some dedication - there might be 3-4 guys on each team who will end up getting drafted. Not much reward for spending your Saturday arvo in some remote freezing your arse off at Princes Park.

So what got you into doing the draft stuff to begin with?

Stumbled on the draft discussions here 08ish(?) and just got interested. Was a uni student at the time so I was able to go to the daytime championship games. Initially I think there was an element of trying to guess who were going to pick up, but bitter experience has told me there's almost no chance of that happening. Now I'm more interested in what traits (if any) make for consistently successful draftees and how you build and maintain a list.

So do you read every piece of information about the potential draftees being overseas? Or limit it to certain reporters who you trust the most?

Nah, not everything. At this time of year especially - it's changing, but so much of what gets written is clearly column filler from underworked journos. How many of them have actually been to games, or have some level of insight that your average Bigfooty poster doesn't? Very few. I reckon you're better off reading some of the better phantom drafts on BF - Chris25, Knightmare, Snoop, Paige Cardona etc.

I'd add to that the one mainstream media draft effort I find really useful is the Inside Footy draft edition. Normally I don't have a lot of time for IF but unlike others (looking at you Herald Sun) they put the effort in to provide you with a lot of new information.

So saying all of that is it frustrating seeing so much crap written, and then the flow on effect it has here with everyone seeming to be an expert on the draft these days?

Nah, everyone's entitled to their opinion. The only thing that really frustrates me are the cliches that pile up. 'Oozes class and x-factor.' What does that actually mean?

Potentially that is my own personal beef with this time of year coming out :D

Given this will be going to print the Friday before the Draft.... care to make any bold predictions on who will get/target?

Wells to redraft Mitch Brown with Pick 10.#thegoodoil#heardithearfirst

That certainly is a bold prediction

Just call me Tony Sheehan

Also no Essendon players to be infracted#standbyhird#donthesash

OK so how about some semi accurate predictions now?

Durdin with 10, I reckon. Beyond that...

Anything could happen...

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the cluster of late picks we've got. Take a punt on some of the South Australian midget brigade? Look for value (as they have before) in juniors who missed out on state selection? Have a look at some older players from the state leagues?

Now who would YOU like us to look at and why?

I'd like for us to take a punt on Caleb Daniel. Yes, he's a midget but I think he could be a really good player at senior level - particularly if a team has the depth (as I think we will in 2-3 seasons time) in midfield to allow him to play in a forward pocket. I reckon Ryan Lim also looks like good value - tidy, can play inside and is a good size. Would need a couple of seasons in the VFL to fill out and develop his game, but that's not a bad thing - worth remembering that while a lot of people are talking about the impact a player can make in the next 1-2 seasons, the guys we take this year and next year will be the ones who will end up replacing Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor in 3-4 years time (if we manage the transition correctly). So taking a few guys in the later rounds/rookie drafts who we can incubate in the seconds is a smart idea, I think.

What are your thoughts on the land of the Giants (and Blease) we recruited this off season?

I like the Clark acquisition. Sad to see Varcoe go but he was no longer the player we needed/were paying him to be. Clark is obviously a risk with his health and fitness issues but one that I think is worth taking - should hopefully get the forward line functioning more efficiently, and gives us some flexibility in the ruck.

I wasn't a big fan of the Stanley deal because I think Pick 21 could have been better used building our midfield depth. But now that he's here I'm hoping he stops the rucking merry-go-round. He won't be elite but should at least be able to cover the ground in a way McIntosh and Simpson weren't last year. As I've said on the podcast a few times though I'm not as convinced as others that getting a really top line ruck is the panacea for our problems, hence why I think 21 could have been better spent.

Blease...watching his highlights (so take it with a grain of salt), I thought he looked uncannily like Jordan Murdoch - the pace, the floaters that wobbled through at all angles, etc. Did anyone enter this offseason thinking the acquisition of a Jordan Murdoch clone should have been a priority?

What do you think of free agency and the change it’s had with contracts and trading?

Man I could rant about free agency for hours, but tl;dr: I don't have a problem with it and think a lot of the criticism of it is borderline hysterical. It will not destroy the equality of the competition and the current level of player loyalty (and how loyal is a decision if you actually don't have much choice in the matter?) has only existed since about 1990.

Having said that I am slightly worried about whether or not Geelong is taking proper advantage of it. It's almost axiomatic that in the NHL (which is the only US sport I really follow) that guys get overpaid once they hit free agency - to the point where teams are signing players to ridiculous contracts that will clearly become and albatross in 4-5 years time and then actively reassuring them not to feel the pressure to live up to said contract. That is the point of the Moneyball/advanced stats/analytics movement in US sports - finding value in a more fluid market. Smart teams recognise what makes players good/what is undervalued (so in Moneyball it was ability to get on base, in hockey it's currently your ability to drive possession) and how long they're likely to be good at it and react accordingly. Dumb teams don't and pay way too much for too long for ordinary players and then wear the consequences long term. The Varcoe/Clark trade is, I think, an example of the former. I'm worried that the acquisition of Stanley, Blease and McIntosh and the re-signing Rivers are examples of the latter.

I'm glad you mentioned the podcast. How did you get involved in that and how do you enjoy it?

Got involved in the podcast just by answering the initial call for volunteers from SJ. Enjoy it a lot - was pretty nervous for the first one but got comfortable the more we've done. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing next year, especially if more people jump onboard so that we can cover holes caused by work etc. Get onboard!

Is that directed at me or all the loyal viewers at home?

Both.

2014.... success or failure for you?

Failure. Partly for the obvious reasons - we got swept and we weren't competitive against the top teams for most of the year. That'd be fine (you can't win every year etc) if there was a greater sense of transition, but it felt like we didn't succeed in bringing many young players into the side. That's partly on them rather than just lack of opportunity - ie Kersten was given an extended run and was unproductive, same with Burbury - but it was disappointing that Thurlow and Bews didn't get more games. If there's a silver lining it is that we seemed to transition a lot of the midfield responsibilities on to Guthrie, GHS and Caddy - hopefully with another preseason they'll be a lot more competitive this year.

And what do you expect from 2015?

Don't think we'll be a serious contender but would be disappointed if we didn't make finals. Hope that we keep building depth in midfield with younger players - that GHS, Caddy and Guthrie take the next step up in terms of consistent output and that Hartman, Lang and Cowan all make an impact. Would like Thurlow and Bews to have forced their way into the 22 by the end of the season, in the backline. Finally would like for us to improve the quality of our entries into forward 50s, which I think has been a huge problem over the last 2-3 seasons.

It would be nice if we stopped either bombing it to our forwards or kicking it to their ankles

Yep, exactly. Clearly in some situations - like when we pin the ball inside 50 and generate turnovers at half forward - there won't be much other choice. But we've been systemically terrible with the ball going into 50 the last few years.

The Freo final last year, did what you mention here cost us the game...

I was actually on a plane to Jakarta when that game was played, and couldn't bring myself to watch the replay. But it was a pretty common theme in 2013 - we set up a wall on half forward and played a game of ping pong with their defenders.

Well I can give you a description of the last quarter.. We bombed the ball forward, Freo cleared in out, we bombed the ball forward, Freo cleared it out.... for about 20 mins
And then Hill ran half the length of the ground to deliver the final nail in the coffin

That Hill goal was part of the montage that got played during the quarter breaks on AFL Live this year. Vomit-inducing.

From someone who watches the kids pre Draft. .. who excites you the most from our recent few years of drafts and why

It's actually Brad Hartman, despite the fact I didn't see him play as a junior. I just think we talk a lot about the need for big, powerful midfielders with good skills if we're going to become a dominant side again, and Hartman's year suggests he could be a big part of the solution. The fact he even made it into the senior side is pretty amazing - went from worst performed bloke on the list in 2013 to forcing his way into the senior side by Round 13. And when he was there he didn't look out of place. Used it well but has got the frame and the intent to be a bullying inside mid. Still has to fill out and build his fitness but his history so far suggests he's willing to work hard.

The other one is Jansen. Saw him play for WA as a back pocket/half back and was actually going to name him in the draft preview as a player that I thought Geelong might have a sniff at - and then talked myself out of it. He's getting hyped a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make quite the splash everyone expects this year. But I'm keen to see him in action.

How do you enjoy modern footy? Being the game, the media, the way the game is run etc

I enjoy the game - I'll watch Geelong every week, and fragments of 4-5 other games. You watch tape of the good old days...and yeah it was free flowing and exciting, but you're sitting there thinking 'why don't they doing x/y/z defensively?' Like the last few minutes of the '94 prelim. 'But why play on?!' 'Because that's the way they play, Geelong!' It's a great line, but no wonder we didn't quite crack it. What does irritate me is the obsession from KB et al about the game's alleged terminal decline. Every sport has boring games, and every sport struggles with the idea that it's becoming too defensive. The average goals per game in hockey has been in steady decline since the 90s, despite the NHL (like the AFL) tinkering with the rules to try and get it back up. There is constant moaning in the EPL about teams 'parking the bus' and basically existing to foil their moneyed uptown rivals by kicking the s**t out of them and trying to steal a goal on the break.

The media...pretty frustrating. We've got a coterie of people who rotate between mediums and have very little that's interesting to say - partly I suspect because they spend so much time trying to fill space cheaply. It's amazing given how much football media there is how little of it is a) original b) interesting c) accurate.

The way it's run...any of us could rant for hours, right? So I'll limit myself to a single complaint: FFS, please stop looking to the US for best practice when it comes to the 'gameday experience'. The reason there are DJs and all that miscellaneous s**t at US sporting events is because half the time you're there, nothing else is happening. That is not (and should not) be the case at the footy, so why import the model? (CC: Cricket Australia).

What so you're saying bmx guys don't add to the experience at whatever meaningless t20 is happening.... madness :D

I can't wait to see which B-grade celebrities they have standing in those boxes waiting to take a catch this summer!

I'll take a stab at saying Gabi Grecko....

Looking the other way which players senior or retired have given you the most enjoyment to watch over the years

Selwood. I'm not sure I can do him justice in text.

High Praise..

I'm too young to adequately remember Senior as a player, and Junior...I dunno, I just prefer Selwood.

So what type of players do you get the most enjoyment from?

The very good or the very flawed. I was a big Mark Blake fan....people can make up their own minds as to which category he fits in.

I think it depends on who you ask on here for that one

To be honest my original answer to the question was almost going to be Lenny Hayes. It's cliched, but how can you not love guys like that who rise to an occasion? His first grand final in 2010 was staggering...and I think that's why I have Selwood above all the other champions of this era, because he almost routinely plays games like that. That goal he kicked against Carlton this year - not only was it fantastic, but his celebration with the crowd was as well. He's totally committed to the cause.

Essendon... what is your take on it all and what happens from here? And what effect will it have moving forward for the league?

One of my best mates is an Essendon supporter and his attitude for the last 12 months (since the original governance punishment was handed down) is that we still don't know what actually happened - and it sounds like it's going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. From what's been leaked, it sounds like ASADA can tie TB4 to Essendon reasonably strongly, but perhaps not strongly enough to get players busted. Regardless of what happens with the tribunals, we'll walk away still not knowing exactly what players took and how aware the Essendon hierarchy were of what was happening, and I don't think there'll be any institutional pressure to change that. Obviously Essendon want to move on, and from day 1 the AFL has pretty clearly wanted to create a deterrent by punishing individuals while ensuring the actual club remains competitive (ie avoid repeating what happened to Carlton). I reckon if the players get off they'll be satisfied that they've achieved their objective, so the saga will get buried until one of Dank/Charters/The Weapon etc get short of cash and give some tidbit in a tell all interview with Luke Darcy.

Going forward I don't think it'll make a huge difference besides pushing Essendon the top of the most hated pile (especially if the players escape sanction) and ensuring the next big scandal isn't about PEDs. This whole thing just underlines that football clubs are particularly vulnerable to being badly run because the guys in charge of them are blinded by emotion.

#InHirdWeTrust

And last question, What is your single favourite moment as a Geelong fan and why?

Overall? Ling hugged me on the fence at the start of the lap of honour in '11. It's my favourite flag of the three, and he was my favourite player. On field...the Ablett goal in the 07 prelim. Everything hinged on that, in a sense. And Commetti's line was perfect.

Thanks for your time mate, much appreciated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Harms made this point once though about living in Canberra, that even though you can access all the Melbourne footy media anywhere you want now thanks to the internet, it's still just...different.

The other one is Jansen. Saw him play for WA as a back pocket/half back and was actually going to name him in the draft preview as a player that I thought Geelong might have a sniff at - and then talked myself out of it. He's getting hyped a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make quite the splash everyone expects this year. But I'm keen to see him in action.

You sure are right about Canberra, FoxFooty is great & the Cats playing here in 2015 is great but it is so different. People don't even know who Jansen is here :O

YES! I like your thinking :D He's getting hyped a lot hmm o_O

Very interesting, thanks, however... Gabi Grecko is nowhere near the B-list!
Yeah and being on 10 it will be one of their 'Stars' like the Bondi vet or something

A poster, who might I add hasn't actually logged into BF for over 5 years, requested an interview from you!

Another great read, thejester you got a hug from Ling... I got a hug from Ottens. :D
Ha! Name names!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back