Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No risk no return
Another nothing year from St Kilda

Saints trading and F/A moves over the past 5-10 years has been diabolical

And in reality, they have very few players other clubs would be willing to trade for.

St Kilda are just mired in mediocrity.

In the media
Winners - Whoever got the best players in without losing much

Losers - Whoever lost good players or did nothing

Same thing every year. Richmond's play could blow up in their face like Hawks or WC of the past but they still finished runner up in trade week according to the media.

I reckon Tigers play was pretty safe. Two durable prime age quality mids to strengthen their weakest line.

People will say us, but St.Kilda and Gold Coast were far worse considering we all occupied a similar ladder position and needed to be bold to ensure some long term success.

We were told we should have traded O'Meara and Mitchell a year ago and it was a 'loss' having to retain them. Now it's a loss because we've moved them on apparently.

Meek and Stephens are promising young players who fill immediate needs.

Gunston also cannot count towards our grading because if it wasn't for McStay he would have walked for free. We actively tried to retain him.

The only negative was not improving our draft position at the higher end.

The huge positive is that everybody seems to forget we recruited Karl Amon who is the exact type of player we needed.
Clubs or anybody should never listen to outside voices. People and media will criticise what ever you do.

I never said you haven’t done extremely well. My point was this trade period hasn’t really improved your chances for 2023 that’s all, as opposed to Richmond and Brisbane who have improved their 2023 chances no doubt.
I put cats in same boat as port, excellent trade period but I don’t think jhf and Rioli make them premiership chances next season.

I disagree. Maybe not as well as Richmond or Brisbane who have done extremely well. But those young players mean that Geelong has great depth, which means they can rest older players throughout the situation like they did this year. And who knows, Bowes or Bruhn could really step up and play a large role.

I never said you haven’t done extremely well. My point was this trade period hasn’t really improved your chances for 2023 that’s all, as opposed to Richmond and Brisbane who have improved their 2023 chances no doubt.
I put cats in same boat as port, excellent trade period but I don’t think jhf and Rioli make them premiership chances next season.
Yeah but we arguably didn’t need to improve on the best 22 this trade period. We won our last two finals by a combined 24 goals. Our emergency list for the finals (barring depth Ceglar) would start games at nearly all other clubs.

A trade period that acts to future proof the list upgrading from 18 to 7 and getting 2 former first round players for 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders while not weakening our 2023 chances is top business.

We should be well and truly in the mix for the flag next year.

Agreed that Hawthorn will not only struggle next year but for 2/3 years. But a long term view is that hard decisions needed to be made because our midfield, with TM and JOM was consistently beaten. We had to get some new blood and open up positions for the younger guys to be given an opportunity. Look what happened when Moore and Newcombe were given an opportunity, both easily outshone TM and JOM.

As much as a hate to say it but well done Geelong, they keep delivering, premiership, destination club, redeveloped home ground and training facility.

I just wonder how much of Costas will went to brown paper bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on Guatemala
Where there's a Will, there's a way!

Feel like St Kilda can’t win.

They trade players in bulk and they get criticised, even though they’ve enough hits with the players they’ve picked up.

They back themselves to draft in talent and they get criticised.

Their talent base isn’t great, but it isn’t awful.

Steele, King, Marshall are all very good players, they’ve got a reasonable number of very good role players but they lack talent around the field and would benefit from a couple of strong draft hauls to get them back to par.

Windhager and Nasiah-Wanganeen look like very good young players to my eyes. I suspect their development is one of the reasons why the Saints are so keen to invest back into the draft.

After a few days it probably has to be Saints as biggest losers.
Were middle of ladder at best.
Virtually did nothing to improve their list immediately whilst most clubs in top 8 actually moved heaven and earth to improve their list if possible and try to contend next season.
Sounds like Hunter Clark they possibly tried to trade and could not even do that, so possibly have a player on their list not super invested in their future. It seems like their strategy is hope Max King is the greatest player in football history and will take them to the promised land despite the fact, the sport requires 18 players on the field to compete in matches.
Absolute head scratcher what their strategy is as a club right now.
Sacked their coach they invested two more years into in middle of the year to really show they are all over the shop with where they are and where they going.

Yeah but we arguably didn’t need to improve on the best 22 this trade period. We won our last two finals by a combined 24 goals. Our emergency list for the finals (barring depth Ceglar) would start games at nearly all other clubs.

A trade period that acts to future proof the list upgrading from 18 to 7 and getting 2 former first round players for 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders while not weakening our 2023 chances is top business.

We should be well and truly in the mix for the flag next year.
Of course you should be in the flag mix, you’re the reigning premiers. It’s not due to your trade period however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losers:
Equalisation - pick 7 and bowes
AFL integrity - “pick 7 and bowes sounds fair but only if a second rounder goes back.” Cats - “we ain’t got one.” AFL - “Ahh a third rounder must go back. We are Ticking that off.”
Gold coast Dunces (rankine pick 5 becomes the dreaded pick 6)
Cats - 3 ordinary former first round picks won’t stop the cliff, have to play (and feed) bowes, hawks draft Jhye Clark at pick 6
Dons - hawks have lots of picks to ensure they take Anthony Munkara with pick 39 with a dildoro style fist pump. Still hoping we can get pick 21 to bid on Davey for a double dildoro!
Pies - missed out on Fiorini the younger TOM
Lions - have now delisted half their side to get enough picks to match f/s bids when they realised the genius of north Melbourne’s plan to swap 1 for 2,3 to bid on Ashcroft and fletcher just to f#*k with them (forgetting they could have bid twice with the same pick). “We don’t have a coach or recruiters” says Sonia hood and “it’s been a tough year so we are just going to have some fun with it”
Tigers - kept Jason Castagna
Anyone who listened to trade radio - I mean Barrett didn’t even know who Aaron cadman was and he’s commenting on the merit of trades

Winners - hawthorn. All remnants of clarko excised. Was a great coach forever grateful for 4 flags but screwed us post 2024 despite publicly saying we were cooked in 2016. Also Harley Reid come on down!!!

Last edited:
100% agree. As far as improving their team for season 2023 Richmond have done this more than anyone else. Midfield was a glaring weakness and now it’s a strength. Great job by Blair and team.

Probably only team that comes close is the lions however they haven’t done anything about their defence which is still an issue for them. However Dunkley and Gunston are great gets for the now.

Cats while having a great trade period aren’t going to be significantly boosted next season by their inclusions however they have set themselves up nicely for the next few years.

Same as port, for the commentators saying port are all in for a flag next year due to a 19 year old kid and junior Rioli… we’ll they are still far from it. However again they have had a good trade period.

Freo did well with Jackson and omeara in but lost a few players the other way.

We had injuries and Covid impacted-games this year which often made our back 6 look much worse than they were/are…I think we have the cattle, just need to bring it together…

Tbh the bigger problem was defensive midfield pressure which meant our our defence was consistently getting caught on the rebound…Dunkley will help with that, you’d think

Losers:
Equalisation - pick 7 and bowes
AFL integrity - “pick 7 and bowes sounds fair but only if a second rounder goes back.” Cats - “we ain’t got one.” AFL - “Ahh a third rounder must go back. We are Ticking that off.”
Gold coast Dunces (rankine pick 5 becomes the dreaded pick 6)
Cats - 3 ordinary former first round picks won’t stop the cliff, have to play (and feed) bowes, hawks draft Jhye Clark at pick 6
Dons - hawks have lots of picks to ensure they take Anthony Munkara with pick 39 with a dildoro style fist pump. Still hoping we can get pick 21 to bid on Davey for a double dildoro!
Pies - missed out on Fiorini the younger TOM
Lions - have now delisted half their side to get enough picks to match f/s bids when they realised the genius of north Melbourne’s plan to swap 1 for 2,3 to bid on Ashcroft and fletcher just to f#*k with them (forgetting they could have bid twice with the same pick). “We don’t have a coach or recruiters” says Sonia hood and “it’s been a tough year so we are just going to have some fun with it”
Tigers - kept Jason Castagna
Anyone who listened to trade radio - I mean Barrett didn’t even know who Aaron cadman was and he’s commenting on the merit of trades

Winners - hawthorn. All remnants of clarko excised. Was a great coach forever grateful for 4 flags but screwed us post 2024 despite publicly saying we were cooked in 2016. Also Harley Reid come on down!!!
I thought putting up with Hawks supporters was hard. Reading that was harder

They paid a reasonable price to get Taranto and Hopper. And they are still in an awkward position where that might just be enough to keep them where they are and not improve them massively.

Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Tarrant, Pickett, Lynch, Prestia all 30+ next year.
We did take 5 picks in the top 30 from last years draft.
Least 2yrs of development before the above start retiring.

Our trade period was awful, no doubt.

Idea was sound to clear wage that was playing in the VFL, but went about it an absolutely awful way.

I can only hope they clearly have a target in mind for next year, as the club have said we aren't over the salary cap, and this was a deep cutting of salary for list improvements in the future. Time will tell, but at this point in time, the trade period was a disaster on face value.

Needed cap space then brought in cloggers like Berry and Long.

7 could have been used on a fwd/mid. A pick in the 20s on the best small defender.

GCS traded like they are gunning for a flag next year.

Needed cap space then brought in cloggers like Berry and Long.

7 could have been used on a fwd/mid. A pick in the 20s on the best small defender.

GCS traded like they are gunning for a flag next year.
Well for Dew it is finals in the next 2 years or bust.

Berry is still young enough but probably starts in the VFL, but compared to Bowes who would have played in the VFL next year is on a fraction of what we would have been paying him.

Long I'm not hot on personally, he will fill a role next year with no Weller or Budarick available for most of the year, but I question what happens once they are back? Does he replace Lemmens?

Will be interesting how we line up? I can see us probably picking up that mid/for with pick 5 this year

Very happy with Norths outcome from a tricky situation in JHF. Logies will be a key defender for next 6-10 year, massive flow on impact to McKay and Corr. Tucker provides that hard run we need and is a mature body to help our developing mids. Given draft ranks, trading pick one for pick 3 is neutral as don’t have a adman in our top 3 (assuming GWS tame Cadman, which given MCCartney comments looks highly likely). Which leaves spoilt brat trade for pick 2 and ports F1 which is fine.

We made two moves, Cordy as a DFA and got 32 in for Long.

Don't really understand why we are big losers. Sydney brought in Aaron Francis and they are winners? I'm confused.

We made two moves, Cordy as a DFA and got 32 in for Long.

Don't really understand why we are big losers. Sydney brought in Aaron Francis and they are winners? I'm confused.
Sydney are a young team they didn't lose any best 22 and played in a GF
Saints are middle of the road team that missed the finals and didn't improve their list.

Back