Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhh yes the old we did things well once so we can never make a mistake logic.

Do people even read posts prior to just assuming that their club is correct simply based on past results.

Once again I am more than comfortable to predict that the Suns will finish higher on the ladder than the cats next year and likely for the short term at least. That may be helped by the benefits they receive from their academy. I also simply believe that Bowes is an average footballer and that the player that you picked with the pick you received will have to be good to make up for the list spot and salary cap that you have thrown at Bowes.

To simply say "it will obviously work because we're always right and the sun's are always wrong" is the height of arrogance.
They have 20 years of evidence of trading/drafting in underated talents and getting guys in rookie drafts that no one else wanted and turning them in best 22 players. Half the Premiership side were guys not taken in the first round of a draft. Majority came up through Geelong area and plied their craft in local Leagues. Proof is in the pudding, Cats have only had 3 top 10 picks since 2006 Draft so they've had to be excellent at scouting/recruiting without being handed guaranteed talents in the Draft.

There's a reason Stephen Wells is renown around the League, it's not for sitting on his laurels. The man gets deals done and finds diamonds in the rough all the time. Mackie sat under the learning tree and has shown he was more than capable as list manager.

The Suns may turn it around now that they have accumulated and held onto enough talent that were high end drafted players who are expected to lead their team to success. Says a tonne about their list management strategy if they continue to fail in that aspect. I'd imagine bringing in Richmond folk who know what it takes to win will be massive.

Bruhn and Bowes should very little this season.

I don't think the Giants are overly fussed at losing TB tbh
Bruhn had his best year of his career, numbers up in every single category. Put on more muscle too so looks to be getting stronger and fitter. Don't think anyone who watched him would think he played the same or worse? He's gotten better.

Bowes was pretty on par with what we expected, he's a fringe 22 guy and played as such. You need depth when guys go down, we had a buttload of guys go down so he was needed.

So were Geelong winners of the 2022 trade period?
Henry kicked 40 goals as a 21 year old which was top 20 in the league. No one else around his age did the same. For a guy that was barely playing Senior footy a year ago now playing with two former Coleman medalists who kicked 102 between them this year that's very very good. A+ pickup

Bruhn became a midfield regular and had progression in every stat category. Bulked up too so getting stronger. Solid B

Bowes filled a role which he was there to do. Solid C

Clark will be long term replacement midfielder, only seen a quarter of footy from him and he looked good attacking the footy and not being intimidated. Good signs. Solid B

Lost Pick 18, 25 and Stephens. I'd say B+ offseason. Not the best offseason compared to Lions and Port but certainly one of the better off seasons.

Henry kicked 40 goals as a 21 year old which was top 20 in the league. No one else around his age did the same. For a guy that was barely playing Senior footy a year ago now playing with two former Coleman medalists who kicked 102 between them this year that's very very good. A+ pickup

Bruhn became a midfield regular and had progression in every stat category. Bulked up too so getting stronger. Solid B

Bowes filled a role which he was there to do. Solid C

Clark will be long term replacement midfielder, only seen a quarter of footy from him and he looked good attacking the footy and not being intimidated. Good signs. Solid B

Lost Pick 18, 25 and Stephens. I'd say B+ offseason. Not the best offseason compared to Lions and Port but certainly one of the better off seasons.
I think Henry was good, and despite what you say, he was a wanted player at Collingwood. Actually, almost as good as Ginnivan who kicked 40 goals as a 19 yr old last season.

Geelong will end up one of the big winners. That's unsurprising but all of Bruhn, Henry and obviously the Bowes deal (as long as Clark isn't shot by injuries) look good value 12 months on. Bruhn and Henry both showed big improvement through the year. This could be the basis of Geelong's next 10 years.

But GWS are arguably the biggest winners and the surprise pack for sure. It could've been a nightmare with Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn and Hill all wanting out. But they've ended up with a better balanced list and more room in the salary cap. So that's a massive win.

Richmond the clear losers. Paid through the nose both in trade value and salary and have ended up with what looks a 1-paced, vanilla midfield. Feels like this will hurt for a long time to come.

No doubt we lost, but we weren't gonna win anything anyway. Just sets us back 2 years really.

Melbourne on the other hand have cost themselves a flag by losing Jackson for draft picks and bringing in Grundy who they wouldn't play over Schache in a final.

Think Henry is the better prospect, though I'm sure you'll disagree.
No. I agree. Still early days though.
Ginnivan is a clever footballer and has skill. But his lack of pace, given his height, limits him IMO.
Henry may not be quick, but he is taller and can take a mark.

Collingwood be very Happy with all there Recruits

Hill/McStay/Mitchell all in Best 22
Hill especially.

Mitchell played his role well.

McStay has been disappointing imo, but early days.

You forgot big bad Billy. ;)

At this stage you got Bowes and his large salary.
The GC pick you used hasn't really done anything as yet.

I'd say GC have done better out of it than Geelong at this stage, including a 3rd round pick they will need to match bids.
That's a horrid take. Surely a troll.

I think it's the AFL's rubbery policy of now allowing clubs to effectively "buy" draft picks which is the issue, or at least it is for me. Geelong are just taking advantage of the AFL's nonsense, and it's every clubs duty to do that, to expose the AFL for the shambolic mess that they are.

It's like clubs being able to grab a top 5 pick academy talent with a bunch of 2nd or 3rd rounders. It's just plain wrong and I'm dead against it, even though my club has been one of the ones who have benefitted from it in the past with improving our draft picks through trades with the Northern clubs. The system is broken, the draft was the way to equalise the competition, not it's so distorted that it's a joke.

Power to Geelong for doing it, but the AFL are a bunch of muppets to allow it to happen.

Agreed.

Suns have 3 academy players who will all go first round (possibly all in the top 10).

So what do we do? Trade our picks down for points.

It's ridiculous, but as the system stands, it would be gross mismanagement not to.

A fairer system would require us to have picks (somewhat) close to the picks being used on these players (e.g. first pick must be within the next 20 from when the bid is made) and there should be a cap on discounts.

But in saying that, if you're going to require 'fair market value' for academy players, you also need to do the same with trading and stop players we draft from elsewhere just walking out, picking a club, and the club they're leaving being bent over into accepting whatever compensation we can get for them.

The system is stuffed, but a lot of the rorts are there to correct for other rorts (which are often there to correct for other rorts...etc.).

Some of it is AFL * ups, but a lot of it due to the AFLPA (or the AFL trying to 'correct' the influence of the AFLPA).

Hill especially.

Mitchell played his role well.

McStay has been disappointing imo, but early days.

You forgot big bad Billy. ;)
McStay missed a Large Chunk of the Season Injured.

Billy has actually gave us some good Depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruhn had his best year of his career, numbers up in every single category. Put on more muscle too so looks to be getting stronger and fitter. Don't think anyone who watched him would think he played the same or worse? He's gotten better.

Bowes was pretty on par with what we expected, he's a fringe 22 guy and played as such. You need depth when guys go down, we had a buttload of guys go down so he was needed.
Geelong did well out of the trade period but Bruhn is a 3rd year player.

Of course he improved. Like if a player in his 3rd year of afl doesn’t have the best year of his career you’d be very disappointed

Easy to get an A+ pick up when a player cracks the sads and demands to only go to one club, putting us over a barrell. Henry's form is a suprise to nobody at Collingwood his talent was obvious and the only reason he didnt get Gametime in the second half of 2022 is he had demanded to go home to mummy so why would we invest more development in him.

I think Adelaide would be pretty content one year on. Rankine was as advertised and our FS pick in Michalanny was a solid addition. Equally, we secured a couple of good second round picks. Thankfully no matter how the world changes, North and Gold Coast are still s**t.

Back