Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres for what has turned out to be a pick in the 50s has been an unbelievably good piece of business for Carlton.

Had some shaky moments early but has put together a terrific season, and has been absolutely huge for us down the stretch.

We gave away too much for Hopper, but the Taranto trade was a win, he will be top 2 (probably win) our best and fairest and did everything we expected. Led us for a heap of metrics that we wanted him to help out in. 16th in the AFLCA, will probably be top 10 in the Brownlow.

Pick 12 and 19 initially (not sure where they landed after bids and compensation, etc) was fine for Taranto given how long he has left.

Hopper certainly needs to lift significantly to justify the cost, but we gambled on 2023 and didn't expect Lynch to miss basically the entire season and our coach to leave part way through.

Geelong will end up one of the big winners. That's unsurprising but all of Bruhn, Henry and obviously the Bowes deal (as long as Clark isn't shot by injuries) look good value 12 months on. Bruhn and Henry both showed big improvement through the year. This could be the basis of Geelong's next 10 years.

But GWS are arguably the biggest winners and the surprise pack for sure. It could've been a nightmare with Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn and Hill all wanting out. But they've ended up with a better balanced list and more room in the salary cap. So that's a massive win.

Richmond the clear losers. Paid through the nose both in trade value and salary and have ended up with what looks a 1-paced, vanilla midfield. Feels like this will hurt for a long time to come.

Giants, getting Tom Green proper minutes in the midfield, instead of Hopper and Taranto, are massive winners

Geelong will end up one of the big winners. That's unsurprising but all of Bruhn, Henry and obviously the Bowes deal (as long as Clark isn't shot by injuries) look good value 12 months on. Bruhn and Henry both showed big improvement through the year. This could be the basis of Geelong's next 10 years.

But GWS are arguably the biggest winners and the surprise pack for sure. It could've been a nightmare with Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn and Hill all wanting out. But they've ended up with a better balanced list and more room in the salary cap. So that's a massive win.

Richmond the clear losers. Paid through the nose both in trade value and salary and have ended up with what looks a 1-paced, vanilla midfield. Feels like this will hurt for a long time to come.
It’s great the things have worked out as is supporters argued they would …. Lost some inside mids to allow us to balance the list and salary cap. It was ridiculous our trade period was rated E last year

It’s great the things have worked out as is supporters argued they would …. Lost some inside mids to allow us to balance the list and salary cap. It was ridiculous our trade period was rated E last year
Yeah from memory I was more worried about you losing Hill and Bruhn than Taranto and Hopper. You never looked thin for players who could run through midfield. But I've always rated Hill highly and give always been thin on outside players. And a talented young player like Bruhn leaving always raises question marks over retention.

But Bedford has been great and the younger players seem happier than they've ever been so the club looks in a miles better place than 12 months ago.

Bruhn and Bowes should very little this season.

I don't think the Giants are overly fussed at losing TB tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruhn and Bowes should very little this season.

I don't think the Giants are overly fussed at losing TB tbh
Not sure how much of Geelong you watched but Bruhn's second half of the year was excellent. Early in the year I was very unconvinced. But he stepped up.

Bowes had some injury issues. But showed enough to think he can be a solid role player. Which is absolutely fine when he came with pick 7.

Not sure how much of Geelong you watched but his second half of the year was excellent. Early in the year I was very unconvinced. But he stepped up.

Yeah I admit didn't see much of Geelong in the 2nd half. He was pretty ordinary in the first half though.

Not sold on Bowes though.

I hope that local kid you picked up with the Suns first rounder turns out fine, because there was some damn good players taken after him in the draft..

Yeah I admit didn't see much of Geelong in the 2nd half. He was pretty ordinary in the first half though.

I hope that local kid you picked up with the Suns first rounder turns out fine, because there was some damn good players taken after him in the draft..
Obviously it's up to us to hit the pick. And we'll see but he showed some glimpses of real class before his year was ruined by injury. Time will tell but the fact a bunch of others picked after him have shown a lot and he wasn't considered a reach suggests he's probably a really talented player.

But in terms of the trade it's clearly a massive win for Geelong. Even if Bowes doesn't play another game we would do that trade again every day of the week. And once he got past his injuries Bowes played solid footy.

All four of Collingwood’s acquisitions have been instrumental at parts during the year that boosted us to top spot. Seth was clearly our issue last season but it is now a major strength.

Mitchell will be top three in our B&F at the bye round. Helped our attacking midfielder massively by winning ground level football. Dropped off later in the year but returned with a good final against Melbourne.

McStay has been our best forward since the bye with 15 goals in his last 7 games. As expected, he has taken some of the load off Mihocek and defends well against the better key defenders.

Hill has given us elite speed forward of centre all year. Inconsistent early but has been lively since playing more HFF/wing in the back half of the year.

Frampton patches the hole in ruck when Cameron and Cox were both injured, saving our butts with good performances against Essendon and Sydney. Also gave Lynch a fair whack in defence in round 3, a game we only won by 14.

The fact opposition supporters are still openly melting down about Geelong's trade period one year on suggests we did pretty well out of it.
The conflation is wrong. I am critical of the trade but not of Geelong for doing it, I wish we did it. I am critical of the suns and of course the AFL the least professional sports body in the world. Under the current system the bowes trade should either be allowed and the AFL stop talking about “governing trades” as that’s utter nonsense or it should have been blocked if trades are meant to be ticked off as reasonable. It happened for many reasons, suns needing to overpay to keep players, the lack of pick purchasing and of course the incompetence of Craig Cameron. Once pick purchasing comes in that farce will never happen again and the bottom clubs can start to use their one advantage to fast track their rebuild.
GWS won easily pies next.
Tigers lost.

993834.png

997846.png

Still claiming one of them is that Blues kid Hollands?

The conflation is wrong. I am critical of the trade but not of Geelong for doing it, I wish we did it. I am critical of the suns and of course the AFL the least professional sports body in the world. Under the current system the bowes trade should either be allowed and the AFL stop talking about “governing trades” as that’s utter nonsense or it should have been blocked if trades are meant to be ticked off as reasonable. It happened for many reasons, suns needing to overpay to keep players, the lack of pick purchasing and of course the incompetence of Craig Cameron. Once pick purchasing comes in that farce will never happen again and the bottom clubs can start to use their one advantage to fast track their rebuild.
GWS won easily pies next.
Tigers lost.

Gold Coast was happy. Geelong was happy. Bowes was happy.

It didn't affect any other club in any way. And there was no suggestion of underhand dealings (eg an uneven trade to convince a team not to bid on a certain player, etc). Why the hell would the AFL step in?

Gold Coast was happy. Geelong was happy. Bowes was happy.

It didn't affect any other club in any way. And there was no suggestion of underhand dealings (eg an uneven trade to convince a team not to bid on a certain player, etc). Why the hell would the AFL step in?

I’m still filthy with the bowes deal.

I can say it is pure jealousy.

Back