World cup (of basketball) 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Defense has been basically non existent. How many times have they switched the big guy onto Dragic and then give no help when he breezes by? Theres been no help d to speak of and add to that the David Andersen effect of being out rebounded by a smaller team.

Whoever is in charge of the defensive philosophy should pretty much be booted straight away. It was obvious 5mins in the whole full court pressure/trapping off pnr's was a disaster yet they kept with it and Slovenia just kept making the easy extra pass for open 3s or drives to the basket yet they stayed with it and surprise surprise they kept on scoring easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the game. Very disappointing as i felt we were right in there. The amount of balls bouncing of players hands and giving up offensive boards was really demoralising.
The only one who looked capable guarding Dragon was Delly (who really needs to find his three point shot) but we got smashed on pick and roll defensive switch.
I know we need scoring but that was a bad coaching decision starting partnering up Baynes and Anderson. The mobility was crap and Anderson on defense in general is suspect to say the least.
Tbh like the last time we played (if I recall correctly) these guys were pulling threes out of their arse a bit. A bit unlucky but at the same time I don't feel we helped ourselves with the rotations.

Ben Simmons on Twitter:

"Man I want to see Dante play the way he should be #TheySleepOnHim"
"What's the point of having so much talent on a team if you don't use it?"
"People need to understand that your job is sometimes more important than representing your country.... Think about it"

Judging by how he has played in he warmup games and now against Slovenia, Exum is lucky to even be on the team.

Whoever is in charge of the defensive philosophy should pretty much be booted straight away. It was obvious 5mins in the whole full court pressure/trapping off pnr's was a disaster yet they kept with it and Slovenia just kept making the easy extra pass for open 3s or drives to the basket yet they stayed with it and surprise surprise they kept on scoring easily.
It was weird. Sometimes they would show a trap and then retreat to a mismatch.

Other times they would switch and allow their guards to smash our bigs off the dribble.

Hell, I saw one of their bigs take our guards off the dribble.

They hit some arsey shots aswell.

Ben Simmons on Twitter:

"Man I want to see Dante play the way he should be #TheySleepOnHim"
"What's the point of having so much talent on a team if you don't use it?"
"People need to understand that your job is sometimes more important than representing your country.... Think about it"

Judging by how he has played in he warmup games and now against Slovenia, Exum is lucky to even be on the team.
Exum looked totally clueless out there.

Exum either doesn't realize his talent or just flat out doesn't care about playing for Australia. Really this is a great opportunity for him to test himself before the NBA season. The amount of times he had opportunities to drive and didn't and gave up easy looks was very frustrating. Without Patty we didn't have anything out of those guard spots except a few 3's. One of the worst games I've seen Delly play too actually, threw some horrible passes and just doesn't look like a threat at all on offense, as good as his d is we still need him to contribute at the other end.

I dont think its that. He looked like an 18 year old kid who's played against other 18 year olds and didnt know how to play within a grown up's offense.

He got in good spots a few times though and just pulled out. He needs to know to go for it and if the coaches were doing their job that's exactly what you would hope they're telling him. I reckon he will have a rough first year in the NBA but training with those guys he will learn quickly he has the ability to take it to the ring with big guys there.

He got in good spots a few times though and just pulled out. He needs to know to go for it and if the coaches were doing their job that's exactly what you would hope they're telling him. I reckon he will have a rough first year in the NBA but training with those guys he will learn quickly he has the ability to take it to the ring with big guys there.
You could tell he was very tentative, prob still trying to work out to do while staying within the team not going out and playing hero ball.

Anyone else think Dante's really shying away from contact? Its like he's afraid to go up against those big bodies. He's better then that. Throughout the whole game it was obvious we need a key guy like Bogut in the team, we would've improved tenfold and we actually would have had some rim protection against guys like Dragic.

Oh well, lets hope we can still make it out of the group stages..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back