Mega Thread Yay I'm going to be a Parent - All blessed news re future hawks in here please!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Mrs and I will be joining the ranks of wide-eyed first timers late October.

We do know what we are having, but will be keeping it to ourselves as best we can.

Now, I think I've got some backtracking to do in the thread, so I can take on as many tips as possible(although people say not to do that, don't they).
Huge congrats to you both...
Now make sure you get plenty of sleep..!

The Mrs and I will be joining the ranks of wide-eyed first timers late October.

We do know what we are having, but will be keeping it to ourselves as best we can.

Now, I think I've got some backtracking to do in the thread, so I can take on as many tips as possible(although people say not to do that, don't they).
Big Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Our second little lady arrived on anzac day. We were interested to see the reaction from her 3 year-old big sister but she has been an absolute sweetheart. Mum had to slug it out for hours in labour and it was a bit rowdy at the end there but all is well a couple of weeks later. Extremely proud of our little unit and my remarkable three ladies.

Congrats to all!

Our second little lady arrived on anzac day. We were interested to see the reaction from her 3 year-old big sister but she has been an absolute sweetheart. Mum had to slug it out for hours in labour and it was a bit rowdy at the end there but all is well a couple of weeks later. Extremely proud of our little unit and my remarkable three ladies.

Congrats to all!

Congrats La Vache :)

My little girl was born two days before the 2013 GF. Watched in hospital and it was the best weekend ever. Now she is 19 months old!

Here is a pic of her on 2013 GF day and another of her Christmas just gone trying to wear the Hawks top I got that morning.

I also just welcomed a son 5 weeks ago, so it goes without saying I am bloody tired...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 2
My little girl was born two days before the 2013 GF. Watched in hospital and it was the best weekend ever. Now she is 19 months old!

Here is a pic of her on 2013 GF day and another of her Christmas just gone trying to wear the Hawks top I got that morning.

I also just welcomed a son 5 weeks ago, so it goes without saying I am bloody tired...

And you never ever feel rested again...

And you never ever feel rested again...

And your old man would agree with you - no matter how old you get

As much as they keep you awake and exhausted as young babes and toddlers, wait until their teenagers and young adults. These formative years will feel like a walk in the park

And your old man would agree with you - no matter how old you get

As much as they keep you awake and exhausted as young babes and toddlers, wait until their teenagers and young adults. These formative years will feel like a walk in the park

As long as the boy isn't drafted by Essendon, I'll rest easy. Couldn't handle him getting into drugs...

Hi guys, congrats to all those new and renewed dads & mums out there.

I used to write a regular article for a magazine, one of them was on my own experience with the birth of my first child (He's now 19 and we have two more). So I thought I'd share it here.

---
"Hello. Kirwan Women's Hospital." said a voice on the other end of the phone.

"My wife is in labour!" I said in a manner that I had hoped sounded calm and in obvious control. It came out though, sounding something of a cross between a mewling kitten and a Melbourne Cup race caller freaked out on caffeine.

"Is this her first child?" enquired the voice.

"No! It's her husband! But judging by the look on her face and the way her body keeps contorting, I'd say her first child should be along any minute."

"You'll both be fine. Now I'm going to get you to stay calm, you've got plenty of time." said the voice. It might as well have been coming from the other end of the universe. I know she was trying to make me feel better, but I found myself wondering how she could tell from the other end of a telephone how far along the borth canal our baby was. My mental ship was about to break anchor and become adrift on a see of boiling crazy, and I'm talking to a a granite slab.

"Should I bring my wife in now or wait until I see a head or something?"

When we arrived at the hospital we were told to wait in the hallway. Apparently an emergency had arrived by helicopter and we were put aside and forgotten abbout for a while. We felt as though we'd been filed under "not requiring a drip or the word 'stat' or anything." By the time we were ushered into a waiting troom to be 'observed' the labour had come to a complete halt.

We sat there for a while wondering whether we should just creep out. Then a nurse came in a told us we were experiencing a kind of warm-up dress rehearsal called Braxton-Hicks contractions. These are nature's ultimate practical joke - a biophysical 'boy-who-cried-wolf'. We were told we could go home. As we stood to leave I was asked what we were hoping for.

"A complete and everlasting world peace." I said. The nurse gave me a look I sometimes get. "We were kind of hoping for a baby."

An hour and a half later another nurse was asking me "Would you like to cut the cord?" Our son lay in front of me complete with all manner of plumbing. I was handed a device that resembled someone's attempt to design a pair of scissors out of a spoon. As I looked at this biological supply line in front of me, I felt I should have had an appropriate statement ready, something that capptured the depth of the moment, something we could look back on and remember. What should I say?

"I hereby declare this bridge open!" just wouldn't cut it as it were. Maybe, "At this moment you are granted your physiological independence." Or perhaps
something simple like "Welcome to life kid!" would do the trick.

What I actually said was "This bloody thing's blunt!"

Let me tell you something about umbilical cords. They are tough; really tough, and the device I was handed seemed a little duller than I would have expected for surgical equipment. It was like trying to cut a knife with a cheesecake.

After a few moments our new sone Ben was brought to us clean, dry and wrappped in blankets. As I was holding him, he looked up into my eyes and went to sleep. A couple of hours later I left the hospital exhausted. My son was undertandably sleeping like a baby and my wife was understandably sleeping like she'd had one.

It was now 8 a.m. I went home and slept myself into fatherhood.

Boy #3 born just in time to enjoy us smash the purple fairies in much the same manner as we did to the Swans in the GF last year.

Talking about the GF, Benny McGlynn and his partner were in the same ward as us with their newborn baby boy.

I introduced my eldest son to him and regretted that he had left his Hawks scarf at home as it usually travels everywhere with him :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to all the new mums and dads out there in Hawk land.

My story is a little different. My wife and I have a new granddaughter, born June, 3rd.

What makes this one different for me is that she is the baby I have been able to hold.

My 5 Australian grandkids were born in Perth, I was in Melbourne. And my 2 Thai grandkids were born in Auckland, and I was here.

There is nothing in this world as amazing as holding a newborn. (Well maybe a premiership cup goes close.)

To all you new mums and dads, enjoy the miracle you hold. First commandment is to get your friends to knit or crochet a brown and gold beanie;).

Congratulations all new and expecting fathers!

I became a first time father in December last year to a baby boy who was born 11.5 weeks premature. He weighed 1.350 kgs at birth and spent the first 75 days of his life in hospital. Being born that early can cause developmental issues and puts babies at a higher risk of illness because their lungs are immature. My son has thus far thrived and showing weight gain and development right in the normal range :D

He is also the cutest baby on the planet but I might be biased hahaha

I became a first time father in December last year to a baby boy who was born 11.5 weeks premature. He weighed 1.350 kgs at birth and spent the first 75 days of his life in hospital. Being born that early can cause developmental issues and puts babies at a higher risk of illness because their lungs are immature. My son has thus far thrived and showing weight gain and development right in the normal range :D

Hope he grows big and strong, Bh. He has weathered the tough first 75 days, so has a fighting spirit.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks Bumps :)

There is nothing in this world as amazing as holding a newborn. (Well maybe a premiership cup goes close.)

To all you new mums and dads, enjoy the miracle you hold. First commandment is to get your friends to knit or crochet a brown and gold beanie;).

I agree TH. I feel so blessed. Married in a premiership year, second son born in a premiership year, photo of my eldest (born in 2011 ) in one arm and the 13/14 cups in the other. I hope my third son is an omen for us this year.
I settled for buying one from the AFL shop last week while getting dragged around southland.
Echols, I didn't know the AFL shop sells babies? They really have hit an all time low in their quest for $$

That's a wonderful story BH. Enjoy the time you have just the three of you coz everything changes when the second arrives :)

That's a wonderful story BH. Enjoy the time you have just the three of you coz it all changes when the second arrives :)
Thanks mate. Number two has been put on hold for a few years. My boy was an IVF baby which worked first time (we were very lucky) but there was a lot that went into making that IVF chance possible including multiple surgeries and two years prior to all that just trying to diagnose the issue. Just want enjoy our boy for now and think about a second once we are ready :D

You guys are so lucky
My wife and I have been trying for quite a while via IVF without success as yet
Doctors say there is no reason we can't become parents, but it does get very depressing when we get the call to say the tests are negative every time
Costs a bit too, although I'd sell my house if it meant my wife fell pregnant :)
I can't wait to one day share some great news here!:)
Congrats all!

You guys are so lucky
My wife and I have been trying for quite a while via IVF without success as yet
Doctors say there is no reason we can't become parents, but it does get very depressing when we get the call to say the tests are negative every time
Costs a bit too, although I'd sell my house if it meant my wife fell pregnant :)
I can't wait to one day share some great news here!:)
Congrats all!
Mate, a couple of friends of mine and the wife's have tried IVF multiple times now, and have had a horrible time of it. I can't imagine just how hard it is for couples to go through this waiting game only to be cut down time after time. It's hard for us to watch on, just as friends, but to be involved in that situation must be bloody heart wrenching.

I have 2 nieces to Ivf, so I watched my sister go through it too. The light at the end of the tunnel is fantastic for those who go through the program, but geez theirs some bumps along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back