Draft Watcher Young Talent Time - A 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always a bit pointless to review a rookie draft, most players are taken as rookies for a reason. And although strike rates are improving, most still wont ever make it in the AFL. But anyway...

I thought Fremantle had an excellent draft. To swoop on Hannath before other teams had a chance in the rookie draft was a great call. I've said all season he was behind only Grundy when it came to ruckmen this year. And then to follow it up with two key forwards over the 195cm mark, we couldn't really ask for much more than that. I never expected Taberner to be anything more than a rookie pick, but I reckon there is something there.

Not sure about some of the mature aged picks (Goodes, Mitchell, Sinclair, Bennell) but I've always been about the kids myself. I did like the Cachia, Hartigan and Clisby picks though.

I reckon Stark will be a good fit for Melbourne. Will be interested to see how he develops. But at the very least, I reckon he'll have a Ben Nason like impact on a bottom four team. Considering he was one of the last players picked, Williams was a nice selection by the Tigers. Mentioned him earlier in the year as a smokey, if he gets over those injuries he could be a good player.

Few players I think are very unlucky, but probably nobody I am completely shocked by - Irra is probably the biggest surprise for me, followed by Raikiwasa who I think Port Adelaide should have taken.

Always a bit pointless to review a rookie draft, most players are taken as rookies for a reason. And although strike rates are improving, most still wont ever make it in the AFL. But anyway...

I thought Fremantle had an excellent draft. To swoop on Hannath before other teams had a chance in the rookie draft was a great call. I've said all season he was behind only Grundy when it came to ruckmen this year. And then to follow it up with two key forwards over the 195cm mark, we couldn't really ask for much more than that. I never expected Taberner to be anything more than a rookie pick, but I reckon there is something there.

Not sure about some of the mature aged picks (Goodes, Mitchell, Sinclair, Bennell) but I've always been about the kids myself. I did like the Cachia, Hartigan and Clisby picks though.

I reckon Stark will be a good fit for Melbourne. Will be interested to see how he develops. But at the very least, I reckon he'll have a Ben Nason like impact on a bottom four team. Considering he was one of the last players picked, Williams was a nice selection by the Tigers. Mentioned him earlier in the year as a smokey, if he gets over those injuries he could be a good player.

Few players I think are very unlucky, but probably nobody I am completely shocked by - Irra is probably the biggest surprise for me, followed by Raikiwasa who I think Port Adelaide should have taken.

Irra couldve been a top 40 pick had he continued on from last year. But he had a shocker. Still thought he was stiff not to be rookied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back