Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which UFC fighter do you root for and why?

My two current favourites are Cain Velasquez and Lyoto Machida. Velasquez is a new favourite for the way he beat Minatauro, and Lyoto Machida because he is such a technically good fighter who has a different style and uses a lot of kicks compared to the other fighters.

Lyoto Machida doesn't deserve his undefeated record.

Shogun Rua is one of the few UFC fighters I actaully like... and he was robbed! Also like Rampage Jackson from the LHW's.

I like GSP, used to hate him until he beat Matt Hughes, who I hate more.

In general though, Pride had better fighters with more character.

mauricio-shogun-rua.jpg

Shogun Rua: Pride 2005 gp winner and the real ufc lhw champ imo

Lyoto Machida doesn't deserve his undefeated record.

Shogun Rua is one of the few UFC fighters I actaully like... and he was robbed! Also like Rampage Jackson from the LHW's.

I like GSP, used to hate him until he beat Matt Hughes, who I hate more.

In general though, Pride had better fighters with more character.

That is a bit harsh, it was a pretty close fight between the 2-u could make a strong case for shogun-who iam a fan of. But Machida has earnt his title...totally destroyed a very good fighter in rashad. He is one of my favs.

Same on the second point. Never used to like GSP. But you just cant deny his talent. When he destroyed BJ i was converted.

I dont have one favourite. Enjoy Wanderlai, Chuck, BJ. Sanchez before he fought BJ was looking awesome and is very entertaining. Velasquez is climbing the list fast. The heavyweight division is getting really interesting with Vel, Carwin and lesnar coming back. Nog and Mir too.

Minotauro. The man is an MMA legend, fought nothing but the very best at their best. In his prime he was unstoppable. The beating Fedor put on him, the Sapp piledriver, the first round of the Cro Cop fight, all unforgettable and unbelievable.

BJ Penn. Finally putting in the hard yards in training instead of just coasting along on natural ability. The best 155 pound fighter in the world, cant wait to see him back at 170 where he has more competition.

Minotauro - legend of MMA, the #2 GOAT if it wasn't for Fedor, awesome humble guy, it's just a pity the newer fans wont get to see him at his peak
Wanderlei - Another legend, a fighters fighter, gives his heart and soul for the fans, awesome humble guy, but same as Nog, on the decline. Just hope he can have a run at MW at least for a few more years.
GSP - The total package and a great ambassedor for the sport
Shogun - Another amazing MMA warrior. Been on board his wagon since he tore up the '05 MW tourney in Pride
Penn - Funny, a lot of people are Penn or GSP people. I love both of em.
Cain - I'm on this guy's bandwagon now. I don't like swallowing hype so I was reserved about him, until seeing him destroy Nog live. Amazing performance and future HW champ. I only hope a fight between him and Fedor can be arranged before Fedor gets past his prime (of which I think he is starting to show cracks) so I hope it's soon. This is a hardcore MMA fans dream fight, much prefer this to watching him fight Lesnar.

Outside the UFC its Hendo, Fedor and Mousasi

Forrest
GSP
Machida
Anderson
Kenny Florian
BJ
"THE IMMORTAL" Matt Brown

Those are my absolute favourites. This next list are guys I love as long as they're not fighting the names above.

Shogun
Mir
Minotauro
Wanderlei
Amir
Rampage
Junior Dos Santos
Carwin

The guys I most like to watch fight/get most amped for:
JDS
Chris "Lights Out" Lytle:thumbsu:
Forrest
Lesnar
Maynard
Koscheck (even though I think he's an effing tool)
Rumble
Wand
Alves
Evans

Any bloke who loves to bang

I love blokes like Randy and Nog but reality is they're getting on.

Velasques is quickly getting there. A HW fighter with all the tools. But my favorite fighters are Matt "the Imortal" Brown and Nate Quarry. Two dudes that will probably never make it to the top of their sport but I just love watching them fight and the attitude they have towards fighting. Funny given they are so simillar but got there from two very different paths. Brown was a crazy mofo who liked to street fight and Quarry came from a house of nutbag fundamentalist mormons and hadn't done any sport until he was 25. Imagine how hard that would be. Not just hadn't fought, but hadn't even played a game of catch in the back yard! Insane that people could live like that.

Heavyweight
Frank Mir
Shane Carwin

Light-Heavyweight
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Forrest Griffin

Middleweight
Anderson "The Spider" Silva
Demain Maia

Welterweight

Georges "Rush" St.Pierre
Josh "Kos" Koscheck

Lightweight
Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez
Benson "Smooth" Henderson

Featherweight
Urijah "The California Kid" Faber
Jose "Junior" Aldo

Bantamweight
Miguel Torres
Brian Bowles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Count me in on the Velasequez bandwagon. I was on it after the Stoinic (or whatever) fight. It was completely one-sided and ended anticlimatically but Velasquez looked like a beast. Before last weekend that was the last time he really showed his striking skills. His combinations are beautiful and his movement is crisp. He could do big things.

Mir is my favourite through and through. Got a few others, but 'just' a level below.

Though his most recent comments were a bit harsh :p

I think his comments would've been fine if he was actually fighting Lesnar. I love Mir but sometimes I wonder if he knows he's fighting Carwin (who could actually KO him).

I laughed the other day when Lesnar's trainer called him Frank "The Stalker" Mir.

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida, & Demian Maia would be my out & out favourites.
Also;
Thiago Tavares
GSP
Thiago Alves
Mousasi outside the UFC

Wanderlei head and shoulders above everyone else. Love his aggressive style and his humility once the fights are done. Big Nog and Matt Brown would be the only two that come close.

Am also now a big fan of Ben Rothwell. Had the good fortune to bump in to him after 110 at Darling Harbour and he was happy to stop for a chat and some pics despite still being pretty sick. Poor guy hadn't eaten in days and wasn't even able to watch the card that afternoon. He spoke about what an honour it was to be part of the first trip out here and how devestated he was to have had to pull out. He showed a ton of heart against Cain and he earned even more respect from me in Sydney. Hopefully he gets his shot at Crocop soon and picks up the win!

George Sotiropoulos :D:D

QFT! :thumbsu:

I love Forrest Griffin, he's got so much guts and a great chin and seems like a good bloke to go along with it. He's a good fighter but he doesn't have the awesome skills like a Silva, but he got where he is by working his arse off and you have to respect that.

Other than that i'm a big Fedor fan and Frank Mir too, both great fighters.

You guys are crazy.

everyone knows that the count bisping is the best mma guy going around. aewsome. ufc conspiracy that he lost at ufc111 - much better than wanderlei - he was ahhead on points,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back